Topic: Silva vs. Weidman

Silva vs. Weidman

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,725  |  73.9%
  • Forum Posts:  17,617
  • Post Score: 60

02.27.2013 | 10:31 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Silva   wrong Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Silva vs. Weidman. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 5

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

06.19.2013 | 12:30 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Silva   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

How about this? How about we just don't call each other anything? And just debate MMA-related topics. Debates can get heated. There are no rules against that, but you don't have to call someone stupid or racist or anything like that just because you disagree with them. If you're sick of arguing, stop arguing with them. There are likely other members who agree with you. 

I can't speak for other mods, but clearly Gregory and I have run out of patience with this crap. Suspensions from me are going to come much quicker and they're going to last much longer, and I won't lose any sleep over it. 

Stop defending your actions and just stop doing what you're doing. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

06.19.2013 | 12:31 AM ET

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

06.19.2013 | 12:34 AM ET

"I'm making a clear observation"

No, and by saying that you've again just called him an idiot and a racist. And you've also earned a nice 3 day break for the forums for harassing someone.

"I live, I die, I live again."

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

06.19.2013 | 1:09 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Silva   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

You know people can hate on Anderson Silva all they want, because the fact remains that he is the most accomplished and successful mixed martial artist to ever compete in the UFC. He's undefeated in the UFC, has the most title defenses, and has fought in 3 different weight classes throughout his career and won. Many believe (myself included) that he is the best p4p MMA fighter on the planet, and until someone knocks Anderson Silva off of that throne, then that's where he will remain. Like it or not. For those that are just hating on Anderson Silva, or trying to discredit him as a fighter, go to the store and buy yourself a clue. I'm not a big fan of GSP or Ben Henderson, but I recognize their skills as fighters, and they wouldn't be where they're at today if they weren't totally ******* awesome at what they do. Same can be said for Anderson Silva.

Does Weidman have a chance of beating Anderson Silva? ******* A, yes, of course. It's MMA, anything that can happen will happen. Do I think Weidman will beat Anderson Silva? On the feet, probably not, but you never know. On the ground, more possibly so, but you have to remember that most of Anderson Silva's performances inside the UFC Octagon (Patrick Cote, Thales Leites, and Demian Maia excluded) have been nothing less than brilliant, exciting, and inspiring both on the feet and on the ground. For all we know, there could be some new unheard of weapon that Anderson Silva is waiting to unleash, and the next unfortunate victim could be Chris Weidman. Weidman and Silva are fighters who evolve every time they enter into the octagon, so anything is possible when you put these two in against each other.

Final summation. Whether Chris Weidman defeats Anderson Silva or not, it doesn't take away the fact that Anderson is currently the greatest p4p fighter in the world today, has earned himself a spot in the UFC Hall Of Fame, has secured his legacy as an MMA legend many times over a long time ago, and is quite possibly the greatest mixed martial artist of all time. If Weidman wins, then Weidman is the better fighter on that night, and it's time for Anderson to pass the torch to a new champion. If Weidman loses, then Anderson Silva will continue his reign as the UFC MW Champion, as the best p4p fighter in the world, and further cement his legacy as the greatest mixed martial artist of all time.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,514  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,798
  • Post Score: 180

06.19.2013 | 11:14 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Silva   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Not a fact jaykool, an opinion. There is no cut and dried standard for who is the greatest or who has had the greatest career. He is obviously the "consensus" #1 p4p but it is most definitely not a fact.

Undefeated in the UFC? Fact.
Most title defenses in UFC? Fact.
Fought in 3 weight classes? Maybe more but yes, fact, although any and all WW fights were pre-UFC. 

But you left out:

Lost to Ryo Chonan by one of the all-time greatest sub finishes ever? Loss is fact. My ranking of the sub is opinion.
Lost to Daiju Takase by sub in the 1st? Fact.

I could make a case for GSP (2 losses vs. 4 and to arguably better comp. in HOF and title holder Hughes and Serra vs. Azeredo by dec., the above 2 subs, and the Okami DQ), or especially Cain (1 loss to the consensus #2 HW by quick KO). Now obviously Cain needs to win the trilogy to stay there and I wouldn't put Cain above either p4p because of the obvious disparity in skill between HW and lighter classes but that same disparity is why I CLEARLY think Aldo, whose resume and exciting style is at least Anderson's equal, is #1 p4p. That's my opinion and it most definitely goes against the majority. 

For everyone who thinks Anderson is #1, you could very well be right and I would be a fool to say he doesn't belong at least in the conversation but ask yourself how a fight between he and a 185 lb. Jose would go.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

06.19.2013 | 11:20 AM ET

@Mule: Excellent points. 

I think Anderson should be considered the pound-for-pound best right now by consensus and I understand why he is, but personally, I think GSP is more skilled than him and Aldo very well could be as well. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

2 Nyce
2 Nyce
  • Predictions:  19,158  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,852
  • Post Score: 214

06.19.2013 | 2:33 PM ET

Prediction: correct Weidman   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

GSP and Silva are reallly close imo for p4p...

Slightly, and I mean slightly, lower is bones.
2 Nyce
2 Nyce

06.19.2013 | 2:35 PM ET

I really wanted Chris to win.  But I want Silva v Belfort 2!!!!
Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407
  • Post Score: 241

06.19.2013 | 6:01 PM ET

I think that he and a 185 pounds José Aldo would end by double KO (simultaneous knee to the solar plexus). Lol.

But really, I think Anderson would win that. I'd predict 4th round K.O, Aldo's cardio would be tested and unless he caught Anderson with something early, Anderson Silva vs exhausted fighter seems like a highlight reel K.O to me.

About the losses, if you've watched Anderson's Pride fights he was at best a good fighter that loved his Muay Thai but wasn't able to make it work in his favor due to poor planning/bad positioning/not very well-rounded skillset. The Anderson Silva of today would knee the mid 20's Anderson Silva to death, then submit him just because.

I think that Jones is a little higher than GSP because along with freak conditioning/strength/reach, he has become one of the (if not THE) most cerebral fighters in the UFC. I predicted Sonnen by decision when he and Jones met (I was not reward-hunting, I honestly thought the fight would be 50-50), but then he countered Chael's pressure by taking him down. He knew that Chael would pressure him with his boxing and eventually take him down, so instead of standing with him he flew on Chael's legs. That was simply sublime, and Chael being unable to cope with adversity (when has Chael ever made a comeback?) led to an easy finish. 

EDIT: Oh yes, the elbows helped.

* Edited at 06.19.2013, 6:12 PM ET *

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

06.21.2013 | 12:25 AM ET

ANDERSON SMASH!!!!
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 2 months, 3 weeks, 3 days, 6 hours, and 6 minutes from now.
buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

06.21.2013 | 1:05 AM ET

I don't see the need to pick apart the words "fact" or opinion". I don't see how anyone can justify calling anyone else but Anderson Silva the greatest. 

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

Idrownfish
Idrownfish

06.21.2013 | 1:55 AM ET

If you are talking about "of all time" rankings, Fedor makes a strong case for himself. His awkward sambo-with-jiu-jitsu grappling, his apparent invulnerability during his prime and his insane, amazing, precise, powerful (praise it as much as you want) striking makes him stand heads and shoulders above anyone who isn't named Anderson Silva. I wish he hadn't fought so many cans...

I still think Anderson is better than he was, but I understand someone who thinks the opposite.

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

JudoRandori
JudoRandori

06.21.2013 | 4:22 AM ET

@ Mule, counting Silva's DQ loss to Okami is much a kin to holding JBJ's against him, it had nothing to do with the fighters and everything to do with the org rules/ref. Okami was getting worked. And the kick that was "illegal" was beautiful and made me respect Silva all the more for pulling it off.

As far as his losses in Pride, I met a former Pride fighter and he said when he was with them the fights were worked some of the time. I won't give his name, not because I am making erroneous claims that I am fabricating authenticity for, but I don't think it'd be respectful to the fighter. The loss to Ryo seemed legit, like he underestimated a guy and got ****y, but he seems to have learned from that as it was his last legit loss. The Takase triangle was highly suspect IMHO though.

Just my pennies.

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  32,159  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,974
  • Post Score: 195

06.21.2013 | 4:39 AM ET

Prediction: correct Weidman   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

The proof that Silva's rib was hurt in the first Sonnen fight comes from the medical suspensions, as seen here: http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2010/08/ufc-117-medical-suspensions-go-to-14-fighters-five-could-be-sidelined-six-months

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

blitzkrieg
blitzkrieg
  • Predictions:  4,528  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,449
  • Post Score: 285

06.21.2013 | 11:18 AM ET

I agree with @UFCPickEm, RE: Vitor rematch [if] after Weidman

I'm not a big fan of rematches but there isn't another clear contender at 185 but Belfort. Okami sure hasn't earned it yet and I don't think the UFC would wanna do that rubbermatch, especially not on PPV.
Costa's still green and a couple fights away from proving himself worthy, the other options I could see are either Rockhold or Jacare, but Rockhold's loss to Vitor prevents him from getting in the mix and Jacare doesn't have a fight lined up yet but I doubt he'd get called up before Vitor.

So yeah, unless we see a so called "super match" of Andy vs GSP/Jones, it looks like the next contender would be Belfort. And I wouldn't mind Andy derailing the TRT banner bearer.

* Edited at 06.21.2013, 11:19 AM ET *

"@AndySalasMMA"

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

06.21.2013 | 11:59 AM ET

You have to give Vitor the winner. He's done everything that's been asked of him and he's won dominantly. 
Idrownfish
Idrownfish

06.21.2013 | 12:07 PM ET

blitzkrieg, it isn't about a rematch. It is about giving the numer one contender a title shot.

If Vitor gets defeated three times in title shots and still comes back to another one by beating the other contenders, he should be given a fourth title shot. 

Or do you think that Cain/JDS should stop at number 3, even knowing that right now there is no other heavyweight at their level?

* Edited at 06.21.2013, 12:07 PM ET *

2 Nyce
2 Nyce

06.21.2013 | 12:18 PM ET

That's why they need another TUF: Heavyweights.....look how many people it brought in last time.
amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

06.21.2013 | 1:52 PM ET

That title shot with Jones doesn't really count as a true title shot. He was just filling a spot to make up for the 151 debacle. And he almost beat Jones too.
C_Arnoud
C_Arnoud
  • Predictions:  3,914  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,448
  • Post Score: 200

06.21.2013 | 3:30 PM ET

the only bigger fight Anderson had in his career was the Sonnen rematch.
Vitor should get the next shot, if Anderson wins.
it makes sense from a business standpoint, but Vitor also beat top competition.

Page 5

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Former UFC champ Andrei Arlovski added to Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler card at UFC 303
  • Middle Easy : Derrick Lewis Plans To ‘Dibble Dabble’ In WWE While Fighting For UFC
  • MMA Junkie : Bryce Mitchell down with Sean Woodson's UFC St. Louis callout: 'I need some money'
  • MMAFighting.com : Mateusz Rebecki reveals gruesome aftermath of stoppage loss to Diego Ferreira in new hospital photo
  • MMA Mania : ‘We Gotta Get Out Of The Apex’
  • MMA Mania : Latest UFC 302 Fight Card, PPV Lineup
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White says UFC plans to hit road more in 2024: 'We've got to get out of the Apex'
  • MMAFighting.com : One-time WBC title challenger Artur Szpilka has wild walkout at KSW 94, then gets iced in 14 seconds
  • Middle Easy : Dana White Confirms Jon Jones Will Face Stipe Miocic Not Alex Pereira, Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler Sets New Record In Gate Sales
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for Joaquin Buckley after UFC on ESPN 56 win?
  • Bad Left Hook : Grading the Fury vs Usyk PPV undercard
  • MMA Mania : Khabib’s Next Opponent: The Russian Tax Service?
  • MMAFighting.com : Ben Askren: If Alex Pereira fights Jon Jones, ‘there’s a chance it’s over in like two and a half minutes’
  • Middle Easy : Report: Khabib Nurmagomedov Owes Russian Government $3 Million Of Unpaid Taxes
  • MMA Junkie : Derrick Lewis wants a WWE side hustle, but not at the expense of his UFC career
  • MMAFighting.com : Dana White rips Stephen Espinoza, reveals Conor McGregor’s return generating first $20M live gate for UFC
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 post-event facts: Derrick Lewis builds on knockout record, and is coming for more history
  • Middle Easy : Vasiliy Lomachenko TKO’s George Kambosos To Become Champion Again – (Highlights)
  • MMA Junkie : The Conor McGregor effect: Dana White confirms UFC 303 gate record at 'way over $20 million'
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 Fight of the Night: Best photos from Trey Waters vs. Billy Goff in St. Louis