Topic: Silva vs. Weidman

Silva vs. Weidman

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,729  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,617
  • Post Score: 60

02.27.2013 | 10:31 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Silva   wrong Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Silva vs. Weidman. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 12

SonnensSyringe
SonnensSyringe
  • Predictions:  79,138  |  62.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,881
  • Post Score: 337

07.07.2013 | 1:28 PM ET

Prediction: correct Weidman   correct KO/TKO   correct Round 2  

"Everywhere I look today 'hype train derailed'." 

This is the first I'm hearing of this. Remember, it's never good to search for a reason to be angry.

* Edited at 07.07.2013, 1:30 PM ET *

"You look like a 1987 John Hughes high school bully." - Swickotine

jerry5
jerry5
  • Predictions:  1,893  |  56.2%
  • Forum Posts:  179
  • Post Score: 81

07.07.2013 | 1:51 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Silva   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Silva is still the best, all the way up to the one punch that caught him, Silva was picking Weidman apart. On the ground he took some shots, but that was the same with Lutter and Sonnen (but Silva shrugged off a couple of takedown attempts, which many experts said he wouldn't do.) I think it was on par with Serra upsetting St. Pierre. Silva's head games are second to none, and he definitely was messing Weidman up. He just went slightly too far trying to make things entertaining. I suspect you'll see the Silva that fought Franklin the first time (or Okami in ROTR) if they do a rematch. He'll be aggressive and put him to sleep early.

"The young grow old, our pain and toys get bigger"

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,514  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,798
  • Post Score: 180

07.07.2013 | 3:18 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Silva   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

From Mike Chiapetta from MMAfighting.com this article perfectly sums up my feelings towards all the excuse makers.

highlights:

"That was always a favorite. It was a tactic, the same as firing out the lead jab to a rushing opponent or securing wrist control from bottom position to hunt a triangle. Silva could look in his opponent's eyes and see doubt, and then rip open that wound until his foe began folding in front of him, all this simply by bobbing, weaving and smiling."

"If you go in the cage with insecurities, he’s going to feed on it, he's going to mess with you," he said a few days before he stepped into the cage at UFC 162. "He's going to make that insecurity grow and make you feel, 'Wow, I really don’t belong in the cage with this guy. He can knock me out any time he wants.' You see guys melt down, almost give up because they’re so mentally beaten. Well, he’s going to have to go through hell to do that to me."

Think about those words now, in the aftermath of what happened. Silva dancing on the outside, trying to make him miss -- trying to make that insecurity grow -- and Weidman seeing only a green light for his own aggression. 

So when he pulled a similar tactic against Weidman, most people figured we were watching yet another episode of Silva masterpiece theater. But Silva's tactic assumes that all of his opponents will react the same way. Weidman didn't. He wasn't a deer in headlights. He wasn't a rookie fighting a master. He stayed aggressive, and he landed something, and he finished. 

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

spamking
spamking
  • Predictions:  3,582  |  64.5%
  • Forum Posts:  38
  • Post Score: 221

07.07.2013 | 3:35 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Silva   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

How was Silva messing Weidman up at anytime in the second round?  I'll give you that his "game" was having some limited success late in the first, but come on . . . give Weidman some credit for walking through Silva and using his disrespectful moves against him.

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,514  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,798

07.07.2013 | 3:41 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Silva   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Back to back tweets from my timeline:

1. Ryron Gracie ‏@RyronGracie46m

I do not defeat my opponents they defeat themselves. -Helio Gracie / example #ufc162

Retweeted by Rener GracieExpand
  2. John Rutter ‏@JohnPRutter16m

@DaMarques_UFC to quote the great and wise poet Smokey..he "got knocked THE **** out!"

Retweeted by DaMarques Johnson

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

StarsStavros
StarsStavros

07.07.2013 | 3:46 PM ET

Prediction: correct Weidman   wrong Submission   correct Round 2  

Weidman deserves more credit than he's given for this win. That ****y behavior is what Anderson does to mentally break people. It worked on Okami, it worked on Maia, it worked on Bonnar, it worked on tons of other people. Weidman, on the other hand, did not even act intimidated for a second, and he kept pressing forward and attacking until finally he landed. Weidman's mental toughness is what derailed Silva. He kept saying that he was not going to let Anderson break him mentally, and during the fight he proved that it was not just talk.
ED209
ED209
  • Predictions:  7,297  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3,437
  • Post Score: 213

07.07.2013 | 3:50 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Silva   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

My hat is all the ****** way off for Weidman. All the credit in the world. He did what no one else could do for all these years. People making excuses are ********, everyone b

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

07.07.2013 | 3:55 PM ET

Agree with Mule and P4P.  Anderson talks respect and says all the right words.  In his heart, I do believe he is humble and kind.  

But his behavior in the cage is often inexplicable.  Meaning without explanation.  To talk the respect line outside the cage, and then to stick his disrespect in their face so flagrantly shows a certain measure of emotional confusion.

Anderson is as great as they come.  His striking skills amaze.  He is the very last person to need such bush league tactics.  The rules prohibit talking in the Octagon.  But Anderson talks in pantomime, and gets around the rules.

When Weidman lost his composure and decided to stand and exchange with Silva, Silva could have put him away however he pleased,  Massive error in judgment on Weidman's part, and if he does it again in the rematch, he'll get destroyed by a serial killer.  He can lose everything as fast as he gained them.  

Silva lost by mistakes in judgment, and so can Weidman.  You can't keep making mistakes and never expect them to catch up with you.  Not anymore.

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

07.07.2013 | 4:38 PM ET

A possible theory is that Silva is not being disrespectful at all.  His tactics might be interpreted as a form of psychological warfare, to upset his opponents, get in their heads, and throw them off their game.

Maybe he thinks his striking is not enough and he needs more tools to win.  So, in that light, he is giving his opponents more respect, not less.  Weird but who knows what goes on in someone's head?

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

07.07.2013 | 4:55 PM ET

He definitely uses that clowning as a tactic. Silva is a big counter puncher. He uses that to get his opponents to attack and than knock them out when they come in. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

ironfist_55
ironfist_55
  • Predictions:  4,350  |  56.5%
  • Forum Posts:  132
  • Post Score: 204

07.07.2013 | 5:11 PM ET

I picked Silva

to win for as a safe guard (mostly for points) on here... but was rooting for Weidman. 

This is one of those one in a million cards that people buy into the hype and it actually happens. Weidman is very talented and he's got guys in his camp (i.e. - Matt Serra) that have been there, done it before. True champ and I hope he holds on to the belt for a long time.

For Silva, hopefully he comes back and stops dancing around and actually fights to his full potential. I'll be very interested in watching the rematch. 

"I am not impressed by your performaaance" - GSP.

MQuestionable
MQuestionable
  • Predictions:  7,456  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,603
  • Post Score: 284

07.07.2013 | 7:28 PM ET

Sad Usher

* Edited at 07.07.2013, 7:29 PM ET *

ian729
ian729
  • Predictions:  24,135  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,235
  • Post Score: 259

07.07.2013 | 7:29 PM ET

AllHailKrull
AllHailKrull
  • Predictions:  1,522  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,672

07.07.2013 | 7:53 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Silva   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Damn, Usher got it bad.

"People say ‘oh, so you should retire.’ Yeah, you want me to retire so you won’t get knocked out. - Vitor Belfort"

MQuestionable
MQuestionable

07.07.2013 | 7:54 PM ET

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

07.07.2013 | 8:26 PM ET

It's pretty sublime what happened. Silva utilizes a tactic which appears to give his opponent an advantage (his lowered defense) but actually plays into his own strength of counter-punching. Because everyone knows what Silva is up to when he plays this game, fighters usually do one of two things:

1. Fighters attempt a direct assault from the angles which Silva invites them to attack, but are unsuccessful because Silva knows what they are doing. Their lack of immediate success leaves them vulnerable for a counter attack. Think Griffin, Bonnar.

2. Fighters freak out when they cannot connect and become internally convinced that they cannot succeed. Think Okami, Maia.

In Weidman's case he just kept playing the odds that if he threw punches he might tag Silva, and he did. He didn't care that he had missed several times, nor did he over reach with blind aggression. He kept a steady course and threw punches believing in the raw kinesthetic reality of what he was doing.

* Edited at 07.07.2013, 8:29 PM ET *

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

deep theory
deep theory
  • Predictions:  522  |  65.9%
  • Forum Posts:  132
  • Post Score: 29

07.07.2013 | 9:07 PM ET

What is with all this ******** about Anderson's showboating being typical for him as a fighter? I don't remember Silva EVER doing **** like this before say, around March 2008 (Henderson fight).

The most he used (pre-2009ish) to do was this little hand shuffle from a neutral stance, to confuse his opponents about which hand and/or step he was going to lead in with.

So if I was king of the internet I would make two things disappear.

1. All these Weidman fan boys (don't remember anyone having a Weidman av before the fight) claiming it was Weidman's superior skill set which beat Anderson Silva last night.

2. This idea that without the showboating, Anderson's offense would not be nearly as effective. Why don't you put a little effort into your **** talk? Watch his first 28 fights, and point out how Anderson's "showboating" is the thing winning him fights. God knows I've seen most of Weidman's and I still say even Bisping could beat this guy.

What beat Anderson Silva was his own ego. He believed in his untouchablitiy, his legend more than Weidman did last night, all the way down to the canvas.

Weidman came to fight, Silva well...yup. </discussion>

* Edited at 07.07.2013, 9:12 PM ET *

"You talk too much. Things will happen."

MQuestionable
MQuestionable

07.07.2013 | 9:15 PM ET

Those g****s taste sour!  I personally believe Weidman beats Silva nine times out of ten.
DontBeScaredHomie
DontBeScaredHomie
  • Predictions:  44,107  |  58.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,217
  • Post Score: 279

07.07.2013 | 9:16 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Silva   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

* Edited at 07.07.2013, 9:18 PM ET *

"Ohhhhhhhh ****! Look at that door, dude. See that door there? The one marked "Pirate"? You think a pirate lives in there?"

TraeBlack
TraeBlack
  • Predictions:  20,845  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  8,701
  • Post Score: 173

07.07.2013 | 9:18 PM ET

Prediction: correct Weidman   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

lol

"3HUNNA"

Page 12

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : ‘Bullet’ Wants ‘Demolidor’ In Saudi Arabia
  • MMA Junkie : 'Thank you for making my life easy': MMA community celebrates Mother's Day on social media
  • MMAFighting.com : Ciryl Gane to carry Olympic torch ahead of 2024 Olympic Games in Paris
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Make After UFC St. Louis
  • MMA Junkie : 5 biggest takeaways from UFC on ESPN 56: Derrick Lewis magic returns and Dana White criticism of main card winner
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Ex-Bellator title challenger Alejandra Lara bloodies opponent in first-round TKO win
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley shifts to Gilbert Burns after unrealistic Conor McGregor callout: 'I'm definitely not going to get that'
  • MMA Mania : Lewis Ready To ‘Dibble Dabble’ In WWE, On One Condition...
  • MMA Mania : Lewis Ready To ‘Dibble Dabble’ In WWE (On One Condition)
  • MMAFighting.com : Deontay Wilder concerned for Mike Tyson in Jake Paul fight: ‘God forbid he gets hurt’
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Derrick Lewis after UFC on ESPN 56 knockout win?
  • MMAFighting.com : Olympic champ David Taylor closes door on wrestling, potential MMA career after becoming Oklahoma State coach
  • MMA Junkie : Former UFC champ Andrei Arlovski added to Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler card at UFC 303
  • Middle Easy : Derrick Lewis Plans To ‘Dibble Dabble’ In WWE While Fighting For UFC
  • MMA Junkie : Bryce Mitchell down with Sean Woodson's UFC St. Louis callout: 'I need some money'
  • MMAFighting.com : Mateusz Rebecki reveals gruesome aftermath of stoppage loss to Diego Ferreira in new hospital photo
  • MMA Mania : ‘We Gotta Get Out Of The Apex’
  • MMA Mania : Latest UFC 302 Fight Card, PPV Lineup
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White says UFC plans to hit road more in 2024: 'We've got to get out of the Apex'
  • MMAFighting.com : One-time WBC title challenger Artur Szpilka has wild walkout at KSW 94, then gets iced in 14 seconds