Topic: Silva vs. Weidman

Silva vs. Weidman

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,816  |  73.9%
  • Forum Posts:  17,668
  • Post Score: 60

02.27.2013 | 10:31 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Silva   wrong Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Silva vs. Weidman. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 15

DelRose
DelRose

07.08.2013 | 4:28 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Silva   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

@Big

He did and you know it. Silva wasn't even trying, he was tired of it and played too much. It was a mistake. If he decides he wants a rematch, he'll get it back. And using penn is a poor example. Since BJ was an on and off fighter. 
If Silva moves up in weight, Weidman won't dominate his division like Silva did. Vitor will be the next MW champion if anything. 

"That hole is tighter than a nuns nasty"

ShakeANDBake720
ShakeANDBake720
  • Predictions:  10,191  |  65.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,838
  • Post Score: 235

07.08.2013 | 4:34 AM ET

Prediction: correct Weidman   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

Its pathetic how people try to discredit Chris,he's a very likable guy and a great all around fighter.The only ones is see giving him problems are Souza and Vitor.I agree 100% with Bigj383.

"Duck, I want to sleep with my wife tonight,"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,564  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

07.08.2013 | 6:05 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Silva   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

@ShakeANDBake, There's a big difference between discrediting him and not blowing him out of proportion over one win, which, as great as it may be, it's still just that. You don't get "legacy credit" for one fight, no matter who you beat in that fight.

Chris is still only 10-0 and there still are some questions about his fight with Anderson ... it's only common sense to wait a bit before building him up as some sort of MMA god just yet.

He may have all the tools to be great, but he's not there yet, even though he beat Anderson Silva (which we knew someone eventually would).

For example, the first light heavyweight guy to beat Wanderlei Silva after his amazing unbeaten streak (in the weight class, don't you "Mark Hunt" me) was Ricardo Arona. Did Ricardo Arona automatically take Wand's spot as the most amazing LHW to ever live? No. Did he even turn out to be anyone great? Not really. He was just the right guy at the right time who was good enough to bank on the beginning of Wand's decline. Now we just have to wait and see if Weidman's not "that guy" who was there to catch Anderson's down side or bank on one fight. I believe he isn't, I believe he's going to be great (not GOAT great, but definitely great), but I'm not going to say that before I've seen him fight a few more tough fights. That doesn't mean I'm discrediting him ... on the contrary, I'm crediting him for his win against Anderson, but not giving him some extra credit (as MMA fans tend to do from time to time, there's an endless list of guys who were "beasts" or "the next best thing" who didn't pan out). 

Chris Weidman is currently the best MW on the planet. That's what his belt says. But that's all ... for now, at least.

People keep mixing up beating a legend, with actually becoming one yourself. The latter takes time, no matter who you beat in that one fight.

* Edited at 07.08.2013, 6:08 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

deep theory
deep theory
  • Predictions:  522  |  65.9%
  • Forum Posts:  132
  • Post Score: 29

07.08.2013 | 9:53 AM ET

Anderson 3.0. We can rebuild him. Stronger, faster. Less silly.

Muahaha! Weidman proponents look out!

"You talk too much. Things will happen."

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

07.08.2013 | 11:40 AM ET

I don't think anyone is trying to argue that Weidman is suddenly the GOAT. I just say give Weidman credit for beating Silva in rd 1, and knocking him out in rd 2. Weidman's legacy remains to be seen but I hate people trivializing Weidman beating Silva. Give credit where it's due. Silva's accomplishments may never be matched by anyone. If Weidman has a chance to match it will take him years of winning against the best 185 lb fighters in the world.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

ED209
ED209
  • Predictions:  7,297  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3,437
  • Post Score: 213

07.08.2013 | 12:53 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Silva   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

I like how when Nick Diaz doesn't even lose to a guy who didn't even fight I'm being butt hurt and whatever for talking about it. Now the same people that talked **** are saying Weidman didn't really win this fight...

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

ED209
ED209

07.08.2013 | 12:58 PM ET

You know I think Weidman just played a brilliant game plan and Silva just wasn't intelligent enough to block any punches...

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

07.08.2013 | 1:02 PM ET

Cool article from Jack Slack. Besides Slack's articles, is there even a reason to look at BR? No, no there is not.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

07.08.2013 | 1:17 PM ET

I swear on my life that I was gonna make a post on Tapology that mentioned EXACTLY what Jack Slack said, that Weidman's 2-3 caught Anderson because Anderson's so used to rolling with 1-2's.

Seriously.

EDIT: I'll still make a post about it soon.

* Edited at 07.08.2013, 1:19 PM ET *

"الله أكبرl"

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,186  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

07.08.2013 | 1:21 PM ET

Weidman's little backfist was the best backfist in MMA history and it didn't even land...but it set-up the 1 strike to smite the Spider.

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

07.08.2013 | 1:24 PM ET

Here is what Anderson's son posted on instagram!

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Anik
Anik

07.08.2013 | 1:31 PM ET

I don't know if you guys have seen this ominous video yet but it's so ****** up...this is a pre-fight interview of Anderson Silva (skip to 5:00).

That's right, he literally said everything that he said in the post-fight interview with Joe Rogan (skip to 2:28) but before the fight. This is so ******* creepy.

Anderson Silva literally said he wanted to lose and the perfect night would be if Chris Weidman beat him because he was tired of having to win all the time and that he didn't want a rematch. THAT IS SO ******* WEIRD.

Did Anderson Silva throw the fight? This is solid evidence that he did, you can't get more solid evidence than this. Ugh, just watching that interview creeps me the **** out...

* Edited at 07.08.2013, 1:32 PM ET *

"الله أكبرl"

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,186  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

07.08.2013 | 1:39 PM ET

Welp, yeah he pretty much threw it. Not like he took a dive, but he definitely was okay with losing and maybe that's why he kept egging on Weidman to hit him...and he kept going until one finally landed. Seems like he was tired of being the Champ and defending the belt...and that pre-fight interview proves it basically.

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

07.08.2013 | 1:50 PM ET

Anderson is still the #1 MW, he just looked like he didn't want to be there anymore. Maybe after taking some time off he'll find the passion and come back to destroy Weidman like we all know he should have.
Anik
Anik

07.08.2013 | 1:58 PM ET

Don't discredit Chris Weidman though, he knocked Anderson out not because Anderson wanted to but because he capitalized on a situation.

He threw the right straight which made Anderson lean and when a fighter leans, his feet plant on the mat and in Anderson's case he squares up. Because Anderson always alternates his rolls he was able to dodge the right backfist that was thrown from Weidman's left to Anderson's left but that awkward punch caused Anderson to lean back to the right that to avoid the presumed right that would follow. But because the backfist was thrown with the right but from Weidman's left side, it allowed Weidman to smoothly throw a left hook instead of being awkwardly positioned if he were to have doubled up with two right straights. The left hook met Anderson square on the chin and because Anderson leaned into it AND he wasn't at his center of gravity caused him to fall, and then Weidman just went ham on his face.

Anderson Silva wanted to lose, he called his loss and he then went out and lost but this does not make Chris Weidman any less legitimate.

"الله أكبرl"

lbj6
lbj6
  • Predictions:  3,615  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,025
  • Post Score: 210

07.08.2013 | 3:03 PM ET

credit to chris weidman but i won't lie, as a silva fan i was a little bitter. i was surrounded by brazilians at the fight and when it happened we were all speechless. i was like man *** did i just see? still doesn't seem real to me haha

"get outta my face man! i gotta go get drunk"-Rampage

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

07.08.2013 | 4:00 PM ET

No discredit to Weidman, he went in there and did what he was supposed to do and what he wanted to do. He also did what no one else has come close to in the UFC, which is KO A. Silva. I still feel a more motivated Silva destroys Weidman, but the guy has been on top for so long..... I'm not sure what happened, but Chris Weidman was finally the one to shock the world.

Bottom line is, how many UFC champions have retired a champion? I can't think of any off the top of my head. It was bound to happen at some point in time, especially with all the bobbing and weaving he does.

lbj6
lbj6
  • Predictions:  3,615  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,025
  • Post Score: 210

07.08.2013 | 4:49 PM ET

@bklettke, i was thinking about the champs retiring as champs thing as well. i couldn't think of any. i don't think it'll ever happen. given the nature of champions and how competitive they are, it's gotta be near impossible to be like ok i'm done. there's always another test and another opportunity to win.

"get outta my face man! i gotta go get drunk"-Rampage

ED209
ED209

07.08.2013 | 7:45 PM ET

You guys believing silva threw the fight are delusional. The Alex joneses of mma fans

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

07.08.2013 | 8:31 PM ET

Prediction: correct Weidman   wrong Decision  

Saying Silva threw the fight is a way to deny reality. Weidman should get all the credit for winning but instead we hear about "Silva let him win" or "If the real Silva showed up he would beat Weidman" Anderson even said at the post fight presser that we should focus on Chris winning and being champion not on his mistakes. 

Love it or hate it get used to it. It's a new era for the MW division.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

Page 15

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : There is ‘Great Positivity’ That the UFC 303 Headliner Between Conor McGregor and Michael Chandler Will Move Forward
  • UFC.com : BRAD KATONA: ADDRESSING THE BOTTLENECK
  • MMA Junkie : BKFC, RIZIN announce talent swap partnership with bareknuckle fights headed to Japan
  • Jits Magazine : Polaris Announces First Ever Gi Grand Prix
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC partners with RIZIN on co-promoted events, talent exchange, expansion into Japan
  • MMA Mania : Hall Pass? Rockhold Wants UFC Return Vs. ‘Fake Little B—ch’ Strickland
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC partners with RIZIN on co-promoted events, talent exchange, and expansion into Japan
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland responds to Luke Rockhold's callout: 'Xtreme? I'll f*ck you up for fun'
  • UFC.com : Main Event Spotlight | UFC Louisville
  • MMA Mania : Updated PFL Newcastle Fight Card!
  • MMAFighting.com : Curtis Blaydes fully expects Jon Jones to retire after Stipe Miocic, considers Tom Aspinall a tougher fight
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White's Contender Series, Season 8 roster filling out with UFC hopefuls
  • MMA Mania : Jimmy Smith Returns At Bellator Dublin!
  • Middle Easy : Dana White Talks Conor McGregor, Claims UFC Party Animal’s ‘Mental Warfare’ Matches Muhammad Ali
  • MMA Junkie : Jared Cannonier says UFC middleweight division similar to a circus: 'Queue the clown music'
  • MMA Mania : What The Hell Is This Crap?
  • MMA Junkie : Is Conor McGregor still fighting Michael Chandler at UFC 303? Here's what we know
  • MMA Junkie : Dustin Poirier reveals numerous injuries suffered at UFC 302 vs. Islam Makhachev
  • MMAFighting.com : Dustin Poirier reveals all injuries suffered in loss to Islam Makhachev at UFC 302
  • Middle Easy : Tony Ferguson’s Next UFC Foe Michael Chiesa: ‘It’s Not Like They Threw Him To The Wolves’