Topic: Nick Newell

The one-armed man did it...

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

StealingFire
StealingFire
  • Predictions:  171  |  65.5%
  • Forum Posts:  921
  • Post Score: 155

04.17.2012 | 12:17 AM ET

Again!

A successful XFC event this weekend saw Springfield, MA hero 'Notorious' Nick Newell improve to 7-0 after a back and forth battle with Chris Coggins. Newell, who was born with a portion of his left arm missing, took up wrestling in school and later found his way to MMA thanks to a college roommate's obsession with 'Monday Night Raw' *cringe*. Feeling that he hadn't accomplished the goals of his wrestling days, Newell went full-on with MMA and eventually scored an opportunity with XFC.**

In the post-fight interview Saturday night, Newell made a couple admissions about the fight. He told the crowd that he went unconscious during one of the RNC attempts by Coggins, following up quickly with "Fortunately, the ref didn't notice." Newell then went on to admit that the 2nd round took a lot out of him, and that he "had to make the fight boring" in the final round in order to take a decision victory. When's the last time you heard that confession in the cage?

In all, one of the most amazing comebacks I've ever seen. If you didn't catch XFC 17 on the live stream--or even if you did--here's a brilliant collection of photos from the event...one of the best MMA photo series' I've ever seen. (ignoring the pink shorts)

http://prommanow.com/index.php/2012/04/15/xfc-17-apocalypse-a-prommanow-com-photo-gallery/

**Ref. article: http://mmajunkie.com/news/28172/xfc-17s-undefeated-nick-newell-found-mma-after-a-night-of-wwe-and-tuf.mma

"Prepare for an eternity of me kicking your ass. -Hank Hill"

"Notorious" Nick Newell

Fighter Details

• Name: Nick Newell
  • Pro MMA Record: 16-4-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Notorious
  • Current Streak: 2 Losses
  • Last Fight: June 11, 2021 in BFC
  • Weight Class: Lightweight | Last Weigh-In: 156.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Fighting Arts Academy
  • Height: 5'10" (178cm) | Reach: 60.0" (152cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $28,000 USD
  • Born: Milford, Connecticut
  • Fighting out of: Milford, Connecticut
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

04.17.2012 | 12:20 AM ET

Glad to see Monday Night Raw helped someone's life. All it does is distract me. Props to Newell.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

CaptainSuperman
CaptainSuperman
  • Predictions:  296  |  57.1%
  • Forum Posts:  315
  • Post Score: 139

04.17.2012 | 12:24 AM ET

I hate to be THAT guy, but why is he allowed to fight? Or rather how? And how are people getting beat by him? Circle right, and if he gets a takedown, trap the right arm so he can't punch you...

Can you even armbar his left arm? Is it allowed? I feel like if I targeted this arm, I'd hate myself afterwards

"I'll kill you! I'll kill you to death!"

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

04.17.2012 | 12:26 AM ET

I'm sure 7 people have thought that same thing...and 6 of them were wondering what the hell happened when they got finished early

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

StealingFire
StealingFire
  • Predictions:  171  |  65.5%
  • Forum Posts:  921
  • Post Score: 155

04.18.2012 | 12:43 AM ET

Watch the fights. They are legit and Nick's not getting any gift decisions. He's shown excellent wrestling skills and can strike very effectively without posturing up. He can also throw elbows with more force because all he has is an elbow on one arm.

Why wouldn't he be allowed to fight?

"Prepare for an eternity of me kicking your ass. -Hank Hill"

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

01.16.2013 | 11:40 AM ET

So, anyone interested in seeing Nick Newell leave XFC and go to Bellator/UFC/Other organization to test himself? He is. I could see him going to WSOF or ONE FC. Maybe he should try to get a non-exclusive contract so that he can fight in WSOF/ONE FC/XFC at the same time. Build his profile faster if people are willing to fight him.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

01.16.2013 | 11:52 AM ET

I loved that when he got the RNC against Reynolds the shorter arm actually helped him lock in the choke. He used it as kind of a hook ... glorious :)

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

01.16.2013 | 12:03 PM ET

UFC shouldn't have any problem signing him BUT I think they're waiting for him to prove himself against better talent. Knowing the UFC, they wouldn't wanna sign him just for the novelty or to just parade him around. They want a real fighter and will wait till he's ready to face UFC talent.
yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

01.16.2013 | 12:26 PM ET

Yesterday I listened to his interview with Arial Helwani on "The MMA Hour", he shows a clip where Dana is totally against it and apparently he also submitted a guy with an Omoplata  at the TUF tryouts for the Faber/Cruz season and they said he didn't have enough experience to get on the show (he was 4-0 at the time) - like Matt Riddle had tons of experience, right?

Anyway, I really want him to do well ... not because of the arm thing ... he sounds like a great, down to earth guy, who knows and accepts the challenges his "condition" brings but isn't willing to let them get in his way.

I hope Bellator signs him ... he's perfect for them in the sense that Bjorn always says that they want to build their own stars and he's definitely laid down the groundwork for some quality "star building".

Plus, the tournament system makes that they're not taking such a big chance on him and his condition does actually bring in more interest that lets say another prospect at the same level he is. Bellator could use the extra positive media these days (just as long as his fighting skills are the main focus because he is quite good).

* Edited at 01.16.2013, 12:43 PM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

01.16.2013 | 6:28 PM ET

Some clips of Nick Newell fighting.  Give the man a shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRpXJoTbCaM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVWNH195b0I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd0n7XlQS5o

* Edited at 01.16.2013, 6:29 PM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

01.16.2013 | 9:05 PM ET

Nick Newell is a cute story but not much else.  If you think he is gonna do what he does against people with winning records you are delusional.  His opponents combined record is below .500.

I want someone to tell me who in the UFC at LW he can beat.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

01.16.2013 | 9:08 PM ET

Newell's last opponent has fought Alvarez and Masvidal, both guys needed three round to finish him...and Nick needed like two minutes. I think he will have a fairly good career. Not sure if he'd beat anyone in the UFC, but it would just be interesting to see him get to that level.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

Lopati
Lopati

01.16.2013 | 9:13 PM ET

Well Chris Coggins who Newell took to decision was finished by Scott Holtzman in the first round!!

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

TraeBlack
TraeBlack
  • Predictions:  20,832  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  8,700
  • Post Score: 173

He would NOT beat anybody in the UFC with only one arm. Good thing we wont get a chance to find out. He can keep beating cans in the ****** organizations tho. 

"3HUNNA"

Lopati
Lopati

Prodigy, what does that have to do with anything anyways??? 

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

01.16.2013 | 9:15 PM ET

I was surprised when Newell won the last fight, I believe it was Eric Reynolds he beat? Reynolds is a good fighter so Newell dispatching him so quickly was quite the surprise.

Dana White's already said that he would never sign Newell, Newell's gonna have to prove that he's a can't miss talent in order to get in the UFC because Dana cannot afford being put in the position to fire a guy with one arm because of the potential backlash that may follow. If Newell loses, his chances of going to the UFC are over.

"الله أكبرl"

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14

01.16.2013 | 9:22 PM ET

I was just saying that the last guy he fought was fairly legitimate. I don't really think anyone Newell fought before that was that great.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

Lopati
Lopati

01.16.2013 | 9:39 PM ET

Prodigy, I totally agree. I just see so often people are extremely butt hurt about Dana not giving him a shot, but really what has he done.  Earn your spot Go up to MFC and win some fights then I will listen, but I dont see him winning fights against the top LW's in MFC.  Maromo destroys him, Graham Spencer even though he is a FW normally is fighting LW currently beats him too. I do think Sabah Fadai would be an interesting matchup, but his striking may be too much. If Newell can have some success there I would say bring him to UFC.

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14

01.16.2013 | 9:44 PM ET

Yeah @lopati, i definitely see what you mean. I'm not really butt hurt about him not getting a shot because his last fight was the first time he fought a real good opponent, i just find it incredible that a guy with one hand can compete in MMA at all, let alone win. It's the type of thing you see in a movie and i'd say, 'this is ********, that can't happen in real life.' He shouldn't be treated any differently than another random regional guy, i know i wouldn't want to be.

If MFC did shows more then that could be a good move. I think going to Bellator or something like that could be a good move though, take a few fights on the prelims, and if he can hang, then give him better opposition.

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

01.16.2013 | 9:46 PM ET

almost everybody fight cans at the begining, Texeira record is padded with a LOT of cans, maybe Newell will never be top 10 or maybe even 20, but so far he looks better in the cage than most LW's out there and he is doing it with half an arm missing, so kuddos to him and may the force be with him

btw I agree with him not being UFC ready, and there's probably 20 LW's  that deserve more to be in the UFC than him, at least for now

* Edited at 01.16.2013, 9:49 PM ET *

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

Lopati
Lopati

01.16.2013 | 9:50 PM ET

I totally respect what he has done, but I also want to see him ramp it up in the level of competition before I could consider him Zuffa ready.

I wouldnt recommend anyone sign with Bellator at this point.  You will sign a 3 year contract and be far too inactive.  The actions of Bjorn Rebney lately with Eddie ALvarez, Ed West and Tyson Nam I don't see many prospects signing there.  However RFA could be a good spot they seem to have a good collection of top prospects, but off the top of my head I cant think of their lightweights, lol.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 91 Results: Nicolau vs. Perez
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 Results: Perry vs. Alves
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Even Holloway Knows He Got Dropped At UFC 300
  • MMA Junkie : Video: LFA's Kendra McIntyre ragdoll KOs opponent with absolutely vicious head kick
  • MMA Mania : Staredowns! ‘Platinum’ Has Fiery Exchange With Alves
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 weigh-in video, results
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith on Alex Pereira: 'Given the opportunity, we both would jump on it'
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! BKFC ‘KnuckleMania 4’ Official Weigh Ins Video!
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 ceremonial weigh-ins live stream
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 ceremonial weigh-ins live stream (9 p.m. ET)
  • Middle Easy : Max Holloway Recalls Justin Gaethje’s ‘Vibranium’ Leg Kicks: ‘This Guy Kick Hard As Sh*t’
  • MMA Junkie : Vanessa Demopoulos prepared to get used to familiarity with UFC opponents like Emily Ducote
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 weigh-in video at 9 p.m. ET
  • MMA Mania : Aldo Hoping For McGregor ‘Of Old’ At UFC 303
  • Bad Left Hook : Esparza loses three belts on scale
  • Bad Left Hook : Spence reportedly in ligation with former trainer over unpaid fees
  • Bad Left Hook : Errol Spence reportedly in ligation with trainer Derrick James over unpaid fees
  • MMA Junkie : Why Chael Sonnen thinks Tom Aspinall potentially facing Ciryl Gane at UFC 304 is a big risk
  • MMA Mania : ‘Crazy’ Stalker Sneaks Into UFC PI, Claims Ribas Is His ‘Wife’
  • MMAFighting.com : Hailey Cowan reveals nasty leg break, Tamires Vidal gets replacement for UFC Vegas 92 fight