Topic: Nick Newell

The one-armed man did it...

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

StealingFire
StealingFire
  • Predictions:  171  |  65.5%
  • Forum Posts:  921
  • Post Score: 155

04.17.2012 | 12:17 AM ET

Again!

A successful XFC event this weekend saw Springfield, MA hero 'Notorious' Nick Newell improve to 7-0 after a back and forth battle with Chris Coggins. Newell, who was born with a portion of his left arm missing, took up wrestling in school and later found his way to MMA thanks to a college roommate's obsession with 'Monday Night Raw' *cringe*. Feeling that he hadn't accomplished the goals of his wrestling days, Newell went full-on with MMA and eventually scored an opportunity with XFC.**

In the post-fight interview Saturday night, Newell made a couple admissions about the fight. He told the crowd that he went unconscious during one of the RNC attempts by Coggins, following up quickly with "Fortunately, the ref didn't notice." Newell then went on to admit that the 2nd round took a lot out of him, and that he "had to make the fight boring" in the final round in order to take a decision victory. When's the last time you heard that confession in the cage?

In all, one of the most amazing comebacks I've ever seen. If you didn't catch XFC 17 on the live stream--or even if you did--here's a brilliant collection of photos from the event...one of the best MMA photo series' I've ever seen. (ignoring the pink shorts)

http://prommanow.com/index.php/2012/04/15/xfc-17-apocalypse-a-prommanow-com-photo-gallery/

**Ref. article: http://mmajunkie.com/news/28172/xfc-17s-undefeated-nick-newell-found-mma-after-a-night-of-wwe-and-tuf.mma

"Prepare for an eternity of me kicking your ass. -Hank Hill"

"Notorious" Nick Newell

Fighter Details

• Name: Nick Newell
  • Pro MMA Record: 16-4-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Notorious
  • Current Streak: 2 Losses
  • Last Fight: June 11, 2021 in BFC
  • Weight Class: Lightweight | Last Weigh-In: 156.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Fighting Arts Academy
  • Height: 5'10" (178cm) | Reach: 60.0" (152cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $28,000 USD
  • Born: Milford, Connecticut
  • Fighting out of: Milford, Connecticut
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses Page 3

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,563
  • Post Score: 275

01.17.2013 | 8:35 AM ET

There's been other discussions here about Nick Newell and whether or not he deserves a shot at the UFC.

If you take his arm out of the conversation and just look at what he's done in terms of MMA wins, I think he's certainly done as much as other fighters who have been signed by the UFC. 

There are fighters joining the UFC every month that don't get much attention, and have records and strength of opposition similar to what Newell has faced.

This is not an argument about whether or not he'd succeed in the UFC.  Just whether or not he's done as much as other guys to earn their shot.  I think so.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

01.17.2013 | 9:21 AM ET

He has but Dana White cannot afford to see Nick Newell lose in the UFC. Imagine being forced to fire a handicap and then watch the ****storm that happens after.

Nick Newell will have to work twice as hard and look twice as good as everyone else to get a shot in the UFC, just like he has for everything else in his life.

It's not fair but there's a lot more to this situation than meets the eye. There are a lot of politics to be dealt with in this situation and while it's not Newell's fault, he'll still have to overcome it in order to get a shot at the UFC. I think Newell gets in if he beats a name at lightweight that isn't with the organization, someone like a Roger Huerta.

"الله أكبرl"

Kimuraprime
Kimuraprime
  • Predictions:  141  |  64.5%
  • Forum Posts:  65
  • Post Score: 98

01.17.2013 | 12:45 PM ET

Never heard of this fighter before. Good for him that he is not only trying, but succeeding as well! I do wonder if someone with this handicap stands a chance in the ufc, against elite professional fighters. I personally think it will be very hard for him to succeed there. But who knows? I surely didn't expect this either =)

Best of luck to him!!

"Try not to harm others with what you do, we all just want to be happy"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

01.18.2013 | 10:13 AM ET

It was clear that when Dana White was asked bout Nick Newell, he'd never heard of him before.  And his initial response was based on him not wanting to feel like PT Barnum, introducing a freak.

But if you remove the arm issue, it's similar to other issues.  I think that is why Dana didn't want to introduce women's fighting.  Now, he's open to see where it leads, and if the public can support it.  
During WWII, baseball introduced a one-armed baseball player (Pete Gray), and a women's league.  Sometimes, it takes getting used to something, and you'll never know if you don't try.

Just because a fighter doesn't have title potential is no reason to block the door.  He might never beat a Top 10 LW, but then again, who knows?  Who would have ever thought a deaf man could write music like Beethoven?  Or a blind woman who won MasterChef on TV last year?

Pete Gray
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfQX0VyRMYI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Gray

* Edited at 01.18.2013, 10:20 AM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

01.18.2013 | 10:24 AM ET

He should be allowed into a TUF, if for no other reason than for how many fighters he would inspire.  

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

01.18.2013 | 11:31 AM ET

Good stories belong in books not cages

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Craig Jones Reveals His ‘Stack’ Of Steroids From Ever Titan
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 91 Results: Nicolau vs. Perez
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 Results: Perry vs. Alves
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Even Holloway Knows He Got Dropped At UFC 300
  • MMA Junkie : Video: LFA's Kendra McIntyre ragdoll KOs opponent with absolutely vicious head kick
  • MMA Mania : Staredowns! ‘Platinum’ Has Fiery Exchange With Alves
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 weigh-in video, results
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith on Alex Pereira: 'Given the opportunity, we both would jump on it'
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! BKFC ‘KnuckleMania 4’ Official Weigh Ins Video!
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 ceremonial weigh-ins live stream
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 ceremonial weigh-ins live stream (9 p.m. ET)
  • Middle Easy : Max Holloway Recalls Justin Gaethje’s ‘Vibranium’ Leg Kicks: ‘This Guy Kick Hard As Sh*t’
  • MMA Junkie : Vanessa Demopoulos prepared to get used to familiarity with UFC opponents like Emily Ducote
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 weigh-in video at 9 p.m. ET
  • MMA Mania : Aldo Hoping For McGregor ‘Of Old’ At UFC 303
  • Bad Left Hook : Esparza loses three belts on scale
  • Bad Left Hook : Spence reportedly in ligation with former trainer over unpaid fees
  • Bad Left Hook : Errol Spence reportedly in ligation with trainer Derrick James over unpaid fees
  • MMA Junkie : Why Chael Sonnen thinks Tom Aspinall potentially facing Ciryl Gane at UFC 304 is a big risk
  • MMA Mania : ‘Crazy’ Stalker Sneaks Into UFC PI, Claims Ribas Is His ‘Wife’