Tapology Forums

UFC looks to make all main events 5 rounds

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

02.09.2011 | 9:54 AM ET

"President Dana White has confirmed the UFC is planning to make all future main events five-round encounters.

Currently only title fights are contested over five rounds, with all other bouts restricted to three. However, it appears imminent plans are in place to make the main event at all UFC events a 25-minute encounter.

As White acknowledged, many past events have seen classic battles ended prematurely due to the three-round format, with the likes of Rich Franklin v Wanderlei Silva (UFC 99) and Randy Couture v Antonio Nogueira (102) both leaving the fans wanting more, while Rampage Jackson v Rashad Evans (UFC 114) and Thiago Silva v Rashad Evans (UFC 108) both stopped as the fights were truly getting started.

"We've talked about that before," confessed White. "There's been fights that we've been watching that are three-round fights, and we were thinking, 'Damn, this should have been a five-round fight. It's the main event, it should have been five'.

"We could do it. We could make a main event a five-round fight. We're probably going to start doing that."

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/73138.html

I hope it works out.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

Responses

thefreeman
thefreeman
  • Predictions:  9,508  |  59.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,752
  • Post Score: 198

02.09.2011 | 10:01 AM ET

It seems like a good idea as long as they keep having quality main events
BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

02.09.2011 | 10:44 AM ET

interesting

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

BeastMaster
BeastMaster

02.09.2011 | 10:51 AM ET

Actually I'd agree with it for some fights. But not all like sanhez vs kampman.Or ortiz vs lil nog.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

raray
raray
  • Predictions:  193  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  187
  • Post Score: 26

02.09.2011 | 11:01 AM ET

My take on this is that any two fighters that have both been cleared for title fights previously should be allowed to fight for five rounds even if it isn't for a belt. If a fighter has never made it to championship level, they shouldn't be going five founds.

"Any rational society would either kill me or put me to some use."

raray
raray
  • Predictions:  193  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  187
  • Post Score: 26

02.09.2011 | 11:05 AM ET

Bad phrasing there. Should be, "... any fighter that has been cleared for a title fight ... ".

"Any rational society would either kill me or put me to some use."

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

02.09.2011 | 11:08 AM ET

Sloppy reporting by ESPN I think.

During fan Q&A session in Toronto, Dana was like "yeah we've thought about it and it could be cool, maybe we'll do it."

For ESPN to say "Dana White has confirmed that this will happen" is kind of weird, unless they got separate confirmation somehow.

"I live, I die, I live again."

TownStar
TownStar
  • Predictions:  944  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  329
  • Post Score: 62

02.09.2011 | 11:31 AM ET

this wont happen, nor will the athletic gaming commission allow this to happen. They specifically state in the rules that only a title fight can be 5 rounds.... ESPN is misconstruing Whites comments.

"fresh outta Oakland..."

Gregory
Gregory

02.09.2011 | 12:28 PM ET

Townstar NSAC has already approved the use of 5 round non-title fights back in 2009. UFC has simply decided not to use them. I'm sure other athletic commissions will take their cues from NSAC and approve this if UFC pushed for it.

http://insidefights.com/2009/08/19/five-round-non-title-fights-approved-by-nsac/

CONMAN999
CONMAN999
  • Predictions:  253  |  66.4%
  • Forum Posts:  73
  • Post Score: 42

02.09.2011 | 3:42 PM ET

Yeah, I know the UFC is allowed to do 5-round non-title fights. I think this is really bad reporting. I think it's definitely not confirmed. I think it should just be reserved for fights that would be for sure better with five rounds rather than three.

"It's Never Been This Cold In Miami"

Master Blaster
Master Blaster
  • Predictions:  356  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  241
  • Post Score: 30

02.09.2011 | 5:04 PM ET

More 5 round fights is needed. Hate seeing fights like Griffin vs Franklin just end when they should have 2 more rounds to determine the real winner. Same with Rocha vs Ellenberger, that was a sweet fight.

"Break a deal, spin the wheel"

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

02.09.2011 | 6:54 PM ET

I'm really torn on this issue...I can't count how many fights I've seen and wished there were 2 more rounds, but I really like the fact that title fights have their own model and not like every other fight.

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

02.09.2011 | 7:19 PM ET

om sort of in agreement with soccerkic. id prefer to keep 5 rounds for title fights.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,572  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045
  • Post Score: 212

02.09.2011 | 7:50 PM ET

i've always thought the idea discredits title fights and makes them less special...how about instead just giving a title fight main event every time on a ppv? you got 7 weight classes now

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

LoneRonin
LoneRonin
  • Predictions:  3,222  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,171
  • Post Score: 104

02.11.2011 | 5:27 PM ET

I dont really like the idea. Either leave it how it is or make all fights 5 rounds. It seems kind of dumb to make main events 5 rounds if they are for a belt. Whats the logic there, you might 2 more rounds on a exciting fight?? well you might also get 2 more rounds on a lack luster fight. And like CashBrewyn said, they have 7 weight classes now they could do a title fight every PPV and then the only none title main events would be on the non PPV cards.
Gregory
Gregory

02.11.2011 | 5:39 PM ET

Agree with some of your feelings there, LoneRonin. If they mess with the current system it could make things even more confusing or controversial. There's no perfect solution, so let's not screw it up.

But as a fan I want longer fights. We see it again and again that 3 round fights are insufficient.  So putting the details aside, I am glad to see Dana & UFC being more open to trying to address this problem.

BeastMaster
BeastMaster

02.11.2011 | 5:51 PM ET

I don't know about this. I like the uniqueness of the champion fights.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : PFL announces dates, locations for 2024 playoff events
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul press conference video
  • Middle Easy : Joaquin Buckley Admits He Called Out Conor McGregor To ‘Promote’ Himself, Names Gilbert Burns As ‘Realistic’ Opponent
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Fight Night 241: How to watch Edson Barboza vs. Lerone Murphy, start time, Las Vegas fight card, odds, more
  • MMAFighting.com : On To the Next One: Matches to make after UFC St. Louis
  • Middle Easy : Dana White Allows Derrick Lewis And Other UFC Fighters To Join WWE, Rips Vince McMahon
  • MMA Junkie : Video: John Fury bloodied from head butt to Oleksandr Usyk team member ahead of Tyson Fury's title unifier
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I want to fight the very best fighter’: Crowley hopes to see best version of Ennis, July 13
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I want to fight the very best fighter’: Cody Crowley hopes to see best version of Jaron Ennis
  • MMA Mania : Potieria Files Appeal Against ‘Cool Somersault’
  • MMA Junkie : Matchup Roundup: New UFC, PFL, Bellator fights announced in the past week (May 6-May 12)
  • MMA Mania : Gane Will Carry Olympic Torch Ahead Of Summer Games
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch John Fury left bloodied after headbutting Oleksandr Usyk team member
  • Bad Left Hook : John Fury headbutts Team Usyk member, busts self open
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Something I’ve never done’: Fury say undisputed just icing on the cake
  • MMAFighting.com : Ihor Potieria files appeal following UFC 301 loss to Michel Pereira
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White: Waldo Cortes-Acosta's win over Robelis Despaigne 'sh*ttiest fight of the night' at UFC St. Louis
  • MMA Mania : No ‘McHoe’ For Buckley
  • MMA Mania : PFL Sioux Falls Fight Card Revealed!
  • MMAFighting.com : The MMA Hour with Jose Aldo, Darren Till, Chase Hooper, David Feldman, Turki Alalshikh, Cherneka Johnson, and more at 12 p.m. ET