Tapology Forums

WHO HAS THE BEST BJJ IN ALL OF MMA?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

teaksmma
teaksmma
  • Predictions:  76  |  55.3%
  • Forum Posts:  71
  • Post Score: 130

02.12.2012 | 6:04 PM ET

"Tap ill snap!!" - Rousimar Palhares

Responses Page 2

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,563
  • Post Score: 275

02.13.2012 | 12:16 AM ET

Roger Gracie is like 5 weight classes bigger than Marcelo Garcia, so it's not really a great comparison.

I forget exactly what happened, but he was doing well in his first MMA fight until getting punched and not reacting that well to it.  He's got a good thing going with his BJJ career so he probably just decided it wasn't worth getting punched and kicked in the face.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,563
  • Post Score: 275

02.13.2012 | 12:18 AM ET

"I live, I die, I live again."

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

02.13.2012 | 12:20 AM ET

Marcelo is the best P4P (i guess that works) jiu jitsu practitioner on the planet in my opinion. Roger beat him twice in GI competitions, but Roger is much bigger. Marcelo Garcia also has choked out the likes of Jake Shields, George Sotiropoulos, and Shinya Aoki.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

FresnoMMA
FresnoMMA
  • Predictions:  55,387  |  68.6%
  • Forum Posts:  7,436
  • Post Score: 204

02.13.2012 | 12:26 AM ET

Just watched it.  Why the hell would he be celebrating a cut stoppage??
RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

02.13.2012 | 8:07 AM ET

When you start talking about high level black belts like Roger Gracie and Marcelo Garcia, anyone can beat almost anybody at any time.  The differences are literally microscopic, and the smallest wrong move can result in you getting tapped.  Those guys are so fluid in their technique and depth of knowledge.  Garcia has beaten the best grapplers in the world, and it is pretty much a unanimous opinion throughout BJJ circles that he's probably one of the, if not THE, best pure BJJ competitor in the world.

However, just because he's an awesome grappler doesn't mean he's the best in MMA.  I would also nominate Ronaldo Souza to be in at least the top 5.  That guy has great Jits for the cage.

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

Blackwork
Blackwork
  • Predictions:  4,678  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  900
  • Post Score: 162

02.13.2012 | 8:22 AM ET

@Fresno: "How come Marcelo has only fought in one MMA fight?"

See 2:02 of video here

Cliff notes: doesn't have the desire for it; not a fan of having opponents switched and purses renegotiated, among other things.

"http://www.tapology.com/profiles/blackwork/my-rankings?ranking_type=member"

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

02.13.2012 | 8:32 AM ET

Alot of very good BJJ practitioners were talented enough to switch to MMA and stand out by completely outclassing fighters on the ground......Marcelo just so happens to be on another level and can comfortably stay in BJJ while pretty much tooling pretty much any high level guy that comes his way! 

That being said,I would love to have seen him in a few more MMA bouts to see what he could really do!

* Edited at 02.13.2012, 8:45 AM ET *

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

Blackwork
Blackwork
  • Predictions:  4,678  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  900
  • Post Score: 162

02.13.2012 | 8:40 AM ET

Another problem is this: I'm sure he makes a lot of money teaching, doing seminars, etc. If he's training for a fight, he can't do that as much. If he gets hurt in an MMA bout, he can't do that at all for a while. BJJ blackbelts can charge upwards of $100, if not several hundred dollars an hour, for private lessons. MG has to be making a ton doing privates and seminars. If he's making in the thousands to fight someone, it does not make financial sense at this point in his life to give up that money.

* Edited at 02.13.2012, 8:40 AM ET *

"http://www.tapology.com/profiles/blackwork/my-rankings?ranking_type=member"

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

02.13.2012 | 8:42 AM ET

Just finished watching Marcelo's MMA bout.  He looked sharp in there, and his stand up didn't look nearly as bad as I expected.  Watching old school Royce Gracie fights, you could see that patented Gracie chin lift, indicative of someone who has never trained a striking style in their life.  Marcelo didn't have that, and seemed to possess good mobility.  I think if he polished up his stand-up skills, he would be a damn good MMA competitor.  Hopefully he reconsiders, but being that he's the Ali of grappling, he probably won't.  Why bother when you're already the best at what you do?

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

yorma
yorma
  • Predictions:  30,175  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,462
  • Post Score: 292

02.13.2012 | 8:44 AM ET

Hélio Gracie and Masahiko Kimura for sure.. lol

"And whats up with y'all, Looking at me like a monkey, You !?! Yeah right, You're all saints, You !! Bunch of macaques !! Gimme a baby monkey, He'll be .. Wonderfull"

yorma
yorma
  • Predictions:  30,175  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,462
  • Post Score: 292

02.13.2012 | 8:47 AM ET

@RWLawman have u receive my post on ur profile.?!

"And whats up with y'all, Looking at me like a monkey, You !?! Yeah right, You're all saints, You !! Bunch of macaques !! Gimme a baby monkey, He'll be .. Wonderfull"

jmcdowell
jmcdowell
  • Predictions:  1,448  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  450
  • Post Score: 188

02.13.2012 | 12:10 PM ET

Roger hands down as said before he's arguably the greatest of all time

"“I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious” - Lombardi"

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

02.13.2012 | 12:57 PM ET

Roger Gracie for sure.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Boxing streaming and TV schedule for May 2-4
  • Jits Magazine : Demetrious ‘Mighty Mouse’ Johnson Promoted To BJJ Black Belt
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 video: Bryce Hall, Taylor Holder heated exchange leads to insane crowd fight
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 salaries: Mike Perry leads event payroll with 6-figure purse
  • MMA Mania : McGregor Is A Part Owner Of BKFC
  • MMA Mania : Highlights! Perry Steamrolls Alves With Quick TKO
  • MMA Junkie : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 results: Mike Perry makes quick work of Thiago Alves, goes ballistic afterward
  • MMAFighting.com : Perry knocks out Alves in 60 seconds, calls out ‘fat f*cking b*tch’ Till at BFKC KnuckleMania 4
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry knocks out Thiago Alves in 60 seconds, calls out ‘fat f*cking b*tch’ Darren Till at BFKC KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Mania : Video! McGregor Drops ‘Huge’ News At KnuckleMania 4
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘Absolutely savage’: Conor McGregor, other pros react to Mike Perry’s 60-second knockout at BKFC KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Junkie : Social media reacts to Mike Perry's 60-second finish of Thiago Alves at BKFC: KnuckleMania 4
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry vs. Thiago Alves full fight video highlights
  • Middle Easy : Mike Perry Smashes Thiago Alves in 60 Seconds – BKFC KnuckleMania IV Results (Highlights)
  • MMA Mania : ‘King Of Violence’ Perry Smokes Alves In Just 60 Seconds
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 results: Lorenzo Hunt suffers gruesome arm injury after Mick Terrill drops him in first round
  • Middle Easy : Lorenzo Hunt Suffers Horrific Elbow Injury in Opening Round Against Mick Terrill – BKFC KnuckleMania IV Results (Highlights)
  • MMA Mania : Terrill Defends Heavyweight Title After Hunt Breaks His Arm
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 live blog: Mike Perry vs. Thiago Alves
  • MMA Junkie : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 results: Disappointed Ben Rothwell claims quick injury TKO win over Todd Duffee