Tapology Forums

WHO HAS THE BEST BJJ IN ALL OF MMA?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

teaksmma
teaksmma
  • Predictions:  76  |  55.3%
  • Forum Posts:  71
  • Post Score: 130

02.12.2012 | 6:04 PM ET

"Tap ill snap!!" - Rousimar Palhares

Responses

Blackwork
Blackwork
  • Predictions:  4,678  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  900
  • Post Score: 162

02.12.2012 | 6:16 PM ET

Here's some relevant rankings that might give you some insight into what folks around here think:

ADCC 2012 Favorites
Most Creative Submission Artist
Greatest MMA Grapplers

I also have a a bunch of others rankings relevant to BJJ that people were kind enough to have filled out, so you might see what people are thinking by looking at those.

"http://www.tapology.com/profiles/blackwork/my-rankings?ranking_type=member"

teaksmma
teaksmma
  • Predictions:  76  |  55.3%
  • Forum Posts:  71
  • Post Score: 130

02.12.2012 | 6:20 PM ET

Sweet

"Tap ill snap!!" - Rousimar Palhares

Hotrodttt
Hotrodttt
  • Predictions:  269  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5
  • Post Score: 240

02.12.2012 | 6:22 PM ET

As far as applying it to mma, I'd have to say either werdum or mir. Since they're aggressive with their subs. 

"Fedor via Armbar"

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

02.12.2012 | 6:56 PM ET

Overall best BJJ in MMA would have to be Roger Gracie. He will probably go down as the goat in submission grappling.

However, he doesn't really have the wrestling or striking to set that up, so if you look at who is the best BJJ player in mma, I wouldn't say him. A year ago I would have said Maia, without a doubt, but he has stopped pulling guard, and has been looking worse and worse. Jacare would have been another good choice, but it seems he's lost his will. He isn't schooling people on the ground anymore.

So now, I would say Werdum, or Palhares. Palhares is still man enough to pull guard, and it works. He's super aggressive and it always works out for him. Werdum is getting his striking up there so he will actually be able to take the fight to the ground, but there is no time, ever, when you want to follow him to the ground. 

All time, I'd still say Nogueira. He basically brought guard playing into MMA at the highest level, revolutionizing grappling into the sport. He had some of the best sweeps, the best triangle, and a GREAT top game as well (armbars/anacondas/guillotines), and more heart and determination than anyone else in order to get the fight to the floor. 

The reason I don't mention Mir among the other greats is because he is all offensive. Yes he submitted Nogueira, and he has a few other big submissions, but he isn't someone who you have to avoid the grappling with. Lesnar beat him on the floor, PDP beat him on the floor, and Freeman beat him on the floor. He wilts under pressure and defensively, isn't too great. He, for his life, could not get out of Lesnar's headlock, or get back his full guard. He has a great submission game, but as far as sweeps, keeping guard, and passing goes, I don't rank him amongst the top.

"We Are All One"

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

02.12.2012 | 7:24 PM ET

Shinya Aoki has the best offensive grappling, Benson Henderson has the best defensive. I feel like I've said this before for some reason...

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,457  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

02.12.2012 | 7:53 PM ET

@Minotauro, pretty much nailed it, though I would also have to throw Aoki in there for best offensive ground game

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

02.12.2012 | 8:09 PM ET

You're right, I should have put Aoki on there.

"We Are All One"

norbar
norbar
  • Predictions:  2,367  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  473
  • Post Score: 129

02.12.2012 | 8:16 PM ET

MMA effective BJJ? I'd say Werdum,  Aoki and Palhares with the 3rd winning not only because of skill but because of hulk strength and agression. 

Mir and Nog are out there but are not as active or agressive. They look for openings instead of working for them all the time. Different attitude I think. Hard to compare.

"“Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.” ― Oscar Wilde"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,050  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,481
  • Post Score: 203

02.12.2012 | 8:19 PM ET

In my opinion Palhares has the best BJJ for MMA.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

02.12.2012 | 8:46 PM ET

I think the top 6 of all time who have adapted their game for MMA is Werdum, Palhares, Maia, Aoki, Mir, Jacare, and Big Nog. I do have to give credit to Anderson Silva who has really improved his BJJ and adapted it very well for MMA. Also have to give honorable mentions to Jim Miller, Dustin Hazelette, and Kazushi Sakuraba.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

02.12.2012 | 9:06 PM ET

Chael Sonnen.

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

ironfist_55
ironfist_55
  • Predictions:  4,299  |  56.6%
  • Forum Posts:  132
  • Post Score: 204

02.12.2012 | 9:08 PM ET

Present day? This one's easy... Frank Mir

"I am not impressed by your performaaance" - GSP.

t0rch
t0rch
  • Predictions:  5,787  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,658
  • Post Score: 208

02.12.2012 | 9:14 PM ET

I think one of the reason Mir looks so impressive in his BJJ is because he can pull off submissions that require a lot of strength rather than technique like kimuras.

"I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong."

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

02.12.2012 | 9:42 PM ET

I like the list "Greatest grapplers in MMA."  Seems relatively accurate, although I think on any given day, the order could change.  There are so many different grappling styles and approaches for mixed martial arts competition, so it makes it difficult to really say who the best grappler is.  However, my one gripe is that Matt Serra should be on that list somewhere.  Sure, his record isn't the most impressive, but in terms of pure grappling talent, and his ability to adapt his Jits for the cage, I think he's one of the best.

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

02.12.2012 | 10:07 PM ET

Depends. Pure BJJ talent? Gotta put in Demian Maia and Roger Gracie in there, along with Alex Ribeiro and Robby Drysdale.

Best BJJ adapted for MMA? That's another whole topic as well, offensively I gotta give it to Shinya Aoki like @zarog said but defensively, no way is it Benson Henderson. Benson uses his power and his wrestling to get out of subs, not outstanding jiu-jitsu. I would say the best defensively would be Nick Diaz, I've never seen a better guard in my life (yes, that includes Big Nog).

Overall? A lot of choices there, but one that gets overlooked a lot is Anderson Silva. Ignoring those flying scissor hooks and Daiju Takase (idk what he put him in), he's an awesome grappler. And he uses it well for MMA, the only fighters that go in to wrestle Anderson, he ends up submitting them from his back. That's gotta mean something.

Another name I'd throw in is Frank Mir, for obvious reasons. 

"الله أكبرl"

lbj6
lbj6
  • Predictions:  3,615  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,025
  • Post Score: 210

02.12.2012 | 10:35 PM ET

you guys have all said it. depends on whether it's pure bjj or bjj translated into mma. mir's great, big nog, silva, bj. i think an overlooked one is ken flo. he's got some pretty damn good jiu jitsu. 

"get outta my face man! i gotta go get drunk"-Rampage

Hellequin
Hellequin
  • Predictions:  2,084  |  57.8%
  • Forum Posts:  555
  • Post Score: 138

02.12.2012 | 11:03 PM ET

I will toss my hat in and say Palhares....even if it's just leg locking, that's no small feat to do.

"The punches that land, are the most dangerous..." " Boiling Crock Pot of Excellence " "He ate that like a pop-tart!" ~Joe Rogan

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

02.12.2012 | 11:04 PM ET

Technically, Marcelo Garcia has fought in MMA. So he is my number 1# easy.

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

02.13.2012 | 12:09 AM ET

Got beat twice by Roger Gracie. Your move.

"الله أكبرl"

FresnoMMA
FresnoMMA
  • Predictions:  52,560  |  68.5%
  • Forum Posts:  7,431
  • Post Score: 204

02.13.2012 | 12:11 AM ET

How come Marcelo has only fought in one MMA fight?

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : UFC Star Jack Della Maddalena Promoted To BJJ Black Belt
  • UFC.com : Dana White Announces Main Event For UFC Saudi Arabia On June 22
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Saudia Arabia fight card announced with Robert Whittaker vs. Khamzat Chimaev headliner
  • MMA Mania : Khamzat Vs Whittaker Headlines UFC Saudi Arabia
  • MMAFighting.com : Khamzat Chimaev vs. Robert Whittaker set as UFC Saudi Arabia main event, 4 more fights announced
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Sandman Sees Suga Stop The Machine
  • UFC.com : UFC And Tourism WA Announce Multiyear Deal To Bring Two Action-Packed MMA Events To Perth
  • MMA Mania : UFC Atlantic City Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • MMA Junkie : UFC free fight: Charles Oliveira rallies to light up Michael Chandler for first title win
  • MMA Mania : ‘Are We Fighting Or What?!’
  • MMA Junkie : Javier Mendez disagrees with Daniel Cormier's claim that Islam Makhachev more dangerous than Khabib Nurmagomedov
  • MMA Junkie : Cory Sandhagen: UFC champ Sean O'Malley has 'really good shot' of finishing Merab Dvalishvili
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘A win and a knockout’: Fabio Wardley prepared to put on a show against Frazer Clarke
  • MMA Mania : Eblen ‘Blows Through’ Adesanya, Reaches Strickland In MMA March Madness
  • MMA Junkie : Why UFC on ESPN 54's Vicente Luque accepted dangerous Joaquin Buckley replacement
  • MMAFighting.com : No Bets Barred: Can Manon Fiorot stop Erin Blanchfield at UFC Atlantic City? Plus, one time for Chris Weidman
  • MMA Mania : Barber: ‘Boring’ Blanchield ‘Fought My Leftovers’
  • MMAFighting.com : Dana White reflects on ugly moment striking his wife, changes he made
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Landwehr happy with UFC on ESPN 54 switch from Pat Sabatini to Jamall Emmers: 'It's better for the fans'
  • UFC.com : Hunting Runs Deep In The Swiderski Family