Tapology Forums

Not Finishing Fights

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

LoneRonin
LoneRonin
  • Predictions:  3,222  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,171
  • Post Score: 104

02.08.2011 | 2:58 PM ET

Is it just me or does it seem like a majority of UFC fights go the distance when compared to other organizations??

I did a little research and looked at the results from the last few UFC fights compared to the last few Strikeforce fights and going just off the main cards the UFC has just over 50% of the fights go to a decision where Strikeforce only had about 13% go the distance.

I have 3 ideas about this:

1) Joe Silva sucks at match making...plain and simple.
2) The UFC fighter are all at the top of the sport and are so equally matched that they cant finish each other.
3) The fighters in the UFC are only concerned with winning thus resulting in more guys using the takedown method of victory aka Lay n Pray.

Thats what I came up with. I think #2 in nonsense myslef, I mean Strikeforce, Dream, K1, Bellator, they all have great fighters. I think #1 and 3 are possibilities though. 1 speaks for itself and if you think about 3 it make sense. Think of all the fighter using wrestling to take people down and then not doing anything with it, Koscheck, GSP, Sonnen, Shields, Griffin and Demetrious Johnson just did it in the last UFC to earn the victories. Anyway this is getting long winded so Ill shut up and see what you guys think.

*note* Im a fan of GSP, Kos, and Griffin, as well as, the UFC so Im not just being a hater.

Responses Page 2

LoneRonin
LoneRonin
  • Predictions:  3,222  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,171
  • Post Score: 104

02.10.2011 | 2:26 PM ET

Man thanks for the stats Gregory. I guess I dismissed #2 a little too fast. I mean I know UFC has some amazing competitors and a lot of the top guys but Strikeforce has some damn good guys too. But after seeing those odds it makes me wonder if some of those guy only like good because the people they're facing aren't nearly as good.

On another note I was never saying Joe Silva was a bad matchmaker I was just offering up possibly ideas to get the conversation going. I think he does a pretty good job.

Also Im pretty sure somebody called me a troll lol i dont have a problem with wrestling at all. I think wrestling is the hardest part of mma, physically speaking, and essential to anybody who wants to be a serious competitor. At the same time I want to see guys fight. If I want to watch a wrestling match Ill support college wrestling since they are struggling anyway. 
minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

02.10.2011 | 3:00 PM ET

Yeah, it's clearly the mismatches, to be frank. The UFC could put GSP vs. a Matt Serra again, and he would get a finish. When the fighters are more closely skilled, one guy doesn't dominate en route to a finish.

I love strikeforce, but I really disagree with the statement that Rich Chou is a better matchmaker than Joe Silva, Silva is constantly making great fights, sometimes he is a little off, but the fights are almost always competitive. Chou makes horrible match ups consistently, yeah their roster lacks depth, but their are some great fights we are missing out on. 

Cyborg vs Saffiedine seems like a perfect fight to make, and it was rumored at one point, but now it's looking like that fight won't happen. Why? That is a perfect fight to make, Chou should make it happen, but instead he'll probably put Cyborg against Scott Smith in a rematch for some reason. Yes, the HW tournament is awesome, but just look how that was done. The top 4 guys in the tourney are on one side of the bracket, guaranteeing a blowout and uninteresting final. 

Sorry for rambling, I just think strikeforce could do a lot better with better match making. Like conman said, I'd rather see consistently good matches than consistent finishes, but that's just me.  

"We Are All One"

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Grading the Fury vs Usyk PPV undercard
  • MMA Mania : Khabib’s Next Opponent: The Russian Tax Service?
  • MMAFighting.com : Ben Askren: If Alex Pereira fights Jon Jones, ‘there’s a chance it’s over in like two and a half minutes’
  • Middle Easy : Report: Khabib Nurmagomedov Owes Russian Government $3 Million Of Unpaid Taxes
  • MMA Junkie : Derrick Lewis wants a WWE side hustle, but not at the expense of his UFC career
  • MMAFighting.com : Dana White rips Stephen Espinoza, reveals Conor McGregor’s return generating first $20M live gate for UFC
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 post-event facts: Derrick Lewis builds on knockout record, and is coming for more history
  • Middle Easy : Vasiliy Lomachenko TKO’s George Kambosos To Become Champion Again – (Highlights)
  • MMA Junkie : The Conor McGregor effect: Dana White confirms UFC 303 gate record at 'way over $20 million'
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 Fight of the Night: Best photos from Trey Waters vs. Billy Goff in St. Louis
  • MMA Mania : ‘It Doesn’t Smell Bad At All’
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 main card gets new addition
  • MMA Junkie : Video: KSW 94 delivers one of MMA's greatest walkouts ever – for a 14-second fight
  • MMAFighting.com : Derrick Lewis explains why he threw his cup into the crowd after UFC St. Louis
  • MMA Junkie : Worst leg break in MMA history? Be the judge, if you have the stomach to watch
  • MMA Mania : UFC St. Louis, The Morning After: A Heavyweight Hype Train Crashes And Burns
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Brown reveals what cameras missed after he told Dustin Poirier ‘no more guillotines’ at UFC 299
  • MMA Junkie : Photo: Mateusz Rebecki reveals horrifying facial damage from brutal UFC on ESPN 56 loss
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 Promotional Guidelines Compliance pay: 2024 total passes $3 million
  • MMA Mania : UFC 302 PPV Finalized With New Fight