Tapology Forums

Jackson turned down title shot.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

02.07.2011 | 3:33 PM ET

I think he just wanted to prepare more.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

Responses

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

02.07.2011 | 3:33 PM ET

Or he was scared of getting knocked out again

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

02.07.2011 | 3:35 PM ET

Yeah, I really think that he knows fighting Shogun on short notice would probably not be the smartest idea.

"Frig off, bud"

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

02.07.2011 | 3:36 PM ET

MMAJunkie has quotes:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/22383/rampage-jackson-cites-poor-timing-weight-for-ufc-128-title-fight-decline.mma

"I'm 250 pounds, and I would have to lose 45 pounds in, what, three or four weeks?" he said. "The first time I fought 'Shogun,' I was injured going into that fight, and it's haunted me all the way up to now. I always believed the second time I fight 'Shogun' that I'm going to be close to 100 percent as possible.

I don't have any problem with Rampage passing on the fight. 

"I live, I die, I live again."

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

02.07.2011 | 3:45 PM ET

its understandable. id still want to see shogun rampage 2 somewhere down the road soon though.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

02.07.2011 | 11:38 PM ET

@gregory ya he would be wasted for the fight.... be great to see it after jones if shogun wins but Thiago is going to beat rampage so that couldf put a spanner in the works.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

02.08.2011 | 3:12 AM ET

I understand Rampage likes to live his life and he gets FAT when he's not in camp, but i wonder if he's been training at all. My view is this could be a disaster for him, Rampage could lose to Thiago and not work his way back into title contention. Perhaps if he was constantly training at a high level like most fighters, instead of getting fat during his off-camps, he would have been prepared to accept a title shot much like GSP did with Matt Hughes at UFC 79.

My opinion, Rampage is a professional and he had his chance, if he doesn't get his shot he can only blame himself. I hope Thiago Silva crushes him so he can go back to making movies....

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror
  • Predictions:  149  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  480
  • Post Score: 59

02.08.2011 | 8:24 AM ET

I like Rampage and I honestly think it was the smart thing to do.

The thing is, I do not see Rampage getting to the top of the division again. There is a ton of talent in that division and it only continues to grow stronger. He has not added the tool's he has needed to to win fights. He rarely jabs, does not use his wrestling.. all he does is throw hooks and hopes for the best. I love the guy, but I don't expect much out of him anymore.

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 Promotional Guidelines Compliance pay: 2024 total passes $3 million
  • MMA Mania : UFC 302 PPV Finalized With New Fight
  • Bad Left Hook : This week’s boxing streaming and TV schedule
  • MMA Mania : Biggest Winners, Loser From UFC St. Louis
  • MMA Mania : ‘Yeah, It’s Way Over 20 Million’
  • MMA Mania : Sooo ... About Last Night
  • Jits Magazine : Flavio Almeida Promoted To 6th Degree BJJ Black Belt
  • Jits Magazine : ADCC Asia And Oceania Trials 2024 Full Results And Review
  • MMAFighting.com : Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. George Kambosos full fight video highlights
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC St. Louis post-fight show: Reaction to Lewis’ big finish, Buckley’s win and McGregor callout
  • Bad Left Hook : Vasiliy Lomachenko stops George Kambosos to win IBF belt
  • MMA Mania : Liver Shot KO! Lomachenko Styles On Kambosos For Masterclass Win
  • MMA Mania : ‘Is This Guy For Real?!?’
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White praises Joaquin Buckley's UFC on ESPN 56 win, but shuts down his Conor McGregor request
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Lomachenko vs. Kambosos ring announcer completely bungle co-main event fight result
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch ring announcer completely bungle fight result for Lomachenko vs. Kambosos co-main event
  • Bad Left Hook : Lomachenko vs Kambosos: Live updates and results
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 2024 post-fight bonus winners: Inside the numbers
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 bonuses: 12-second winner is a $50K no-brainer
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC St. Louis bonuses: Trey Waters, Billy Goff take home Fight of the Night following epic war