Tapology Forums

AMATEUR RANKINGS QUESTION / THOUGHTS

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

NXG Combat Sports
NXG Combat Sports
  • Predictions:  4  |  50.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 0

03.06.2024 | 12:18 PM ET

I've recently been looking at some of the rankings and it has spawned some questions...

Once someone makes their Pro-Debut, shouldn't they fall off the Amateur Rankings?

Also, should rankings be based solely on overall win loss, or should they take into account the records of the opponents, as well as specific weight class dynamics as opposed to the overall win loss column.

I ask this because there is a big difference in caliber of a fighter who is winning against winning opponents as opposed to a fighter who is winning against guys with losing record.

Thoughts?

"One Team - One Machine!"

Responses

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,563
  • Post Score: 275

03.11.2024 | 12:48 PM ET

Hey good questions, here's some info.

First of all I assume you are talking about the Tapology regional rankings and not some other rankings.

Once a fighter has a Pro MMA fight, they are no longer eligible for the amateur rankings. However, if they were to take a pro boxing or kickboxing or some other sport fight, they would remain eligible for the amateur MMA rankings.  Note that after the pro fight happens, it can take a few days for the rankings to update.  If you see an example of a fighter that looks like they are a pro but are still ranked at amateur, please share the link or fighter name here and I can take a look at it.

The Tapology regional rankings do take into account the win/loss record of each opponent. That's a big part of how it works. Beating a 5-0 guy is going to get you a lot more of a boost in the rankings than if you beat an 0-0 or an 0-5 guy.  Getting finishes (subs, TKOs) also helps you in the rankings.

"I live, I die, I live again."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Biggest Winners, Loser From UFC Vegas 91
  • MMA Mania : ‘Platinum’ Got Paid! (KnuckleMania 4 Salaries Revealed)
  • MMA Mania : Charly Arnolt Makes Short-Notice UFC History
  • MMA Mania : Charly Arnolt Makes UFC history
  • Bad Left Hook : Boxing streaming and TV schedule for May 2-4
  • Jits Magazine : Demetrious ‘Mighty Mouse’ Johnson Promoted To BJJ Black Belt
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 video: Bryce Hall, Taylor Holder heated exchange leads to insane crowd fight
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 salaries: Mike Perry leads event payroll with 6-figure purse
  • MMA Mania : McGregor Is A Part Owner Of BKFC
  • MMA Mania : Highlights! Perry Steamrolls Alves With Quick TKO
  • MMA Junkie : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 results: Mike Perry makes quick work of Thiago Alves, goes ballistic afterward
  • MMAFighting.com : Perry knocks out Alves in 60 seconds, calls out ‘fat f*cking b*tch’ Till at BFKC KnuckleMania 4
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry knocks out Thiago Alves in 60 seconds, calls out ‘fat f*cking b*tch’ Darren Till at BFKC KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Mania : Video! McGregor Drops ‘Huge’ News At KnuckleMania 4
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘Absolutely savage’: Conor McGregor, other pros react to Mike Perry’s 60-second knockout at BKFC KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Junkie : Social media reacts to Mike Perry's 60-second finish of Thiago Alves at BKFC: KnuckleMania 4
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry vs. Thiago Alves full fight video highlights
  • Middle Easy : Mike Perry Smashes Thiago Alves in 60 Seconds – BKFC KnuckleMania IV Results (Highlights)
  • MMA Mania : ‘King Of Violence’ Perry Smokes Alves In Just 60 Seconds
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 results: Lorenzo Hunt suffers gruesome arm injury after Mick Terrill drops him in first round