Tapology Forums

jones vs top 10 HW

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

lbj6
lbj6
  • Predictions:  3,615  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,025
  • Post Score: 210

01.30.2012 | 4:50 PM ET

http://bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/01/30/ufc-news-jon-jones-asked-for-a-top-10-heavyweight-before-the-year-is-up-12776.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=Feed%3A%20bjpenndotcom%20%28BJPENN.COM%20MMA%20NEWS%20BLOGS%29&utm_content=FaceBook
bones wants to fight a top ten 10 before 2012 if over. i think he's making a big mistake by thinking he's already gonna beat rashad and hendo. i saw throw shane carwin at him. hell, maybe even cain. thoughts?

"get outta my face man! i gotta go get drunk"-Rampage

Responses

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

01.30.2012 | 4:54 PM ET

Throw Shane Carwin at him? Do you want Bones to die or something? Calm the **** down, Bones will need to bulk the **** up to beat Shane Carwin.

I say give him the winner of Werdum/Nelson if he wants to fight someone in 2012. Remember, Anderson Silva tested the waters at LHW with James Irvin.

"الله أكبرl"

fglop
fglop
  • Predictions:  1,625  |  70.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,061
  • Post Score: 150

01.30.2012 | 5:35 PM ET

Throw Shane Carwin at him? The same Shane Carwin who has zero wins in the last two years? The same Shane Carwin who's 35+ and is coming off of a major back injury? Do you want him to get elbowed to death or something?

Sounds good, lets Jones get a nice warmup @ HW before moving on to the Cains, Barnetts, Reems, JDSs.
SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

01.30.2012 | 5:39 PM ET

Let him fight Mitrione or Schaub on a FX or Fox card...Both would be good tests to see how he would match-up against a HW's strength...Doesn't get much stronger then an NFL player!!

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

norbar
norbar
  • Predictions:  2,367  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  473
  • Post Score: 129

01.30.2012 | 6:31 PM ET

Nelson match is a bad idea but Meathead or anyone that Jones't doesnt have a big heigh advantage over is good because it will not allow him to throw ellbows from guard.

"“Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.” ― Oscar Wilde"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,359  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

01.30.2012 | 6:52 PM ET

I think any top 10 would destroy Jones.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Hybrid
Hybrid
  • Predictions:  158  |  57.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,437
  • Post Score: 236

01.30.2012 | 6:55 PM ET

Nelson would be a baaad opponent for him to fight. Honestly, anybody in the top ten would probably roll him. His chin isn't bad by any means, but if Rampage barely tagging him made him run for his life, he does NOT want to take a shot from a 265er.

"History boils down to a few really awesome people doing really awesome stuff, and a bunch of idiots messing it up for everyone else."

fglop
fglop

01.30.2012 | 7:02 PM ET

Why do people try to find the smallest holes in JJ's game and amplify them? People pointed out his cardio after the Shogun fight, his chin after the Machida fight, etc, etc.

LOL @ Rampage "tagging" Jones. Yes, he ran from Rampage and Rampage didn't even hit him. Rampage threw some huge hooks and Jones just ran. How is that a hole in Jones' game? Are the heavies' hands that much faster than Rampage's that they'll hit Jones before he can run? Fact is that it doesn't matter how good Jones's chin is b/c no one at HW will touch his chin other than the top 3 (Reem, JDS, Cain).
xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx
  • Predictions:  2,546  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,218
  • Post Score: 104

01.30.2012 | 7:06 PM ET

Anybody who thinks they've found an end-all flaw in Jon Jones game is either blind or stupid.

The man is the greatest fighter to ever step in to the octagon. I don't care if he hasn't "proven" it to you yet. He WILL do so, and it WILL be groundbreaking.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,482  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857

01.30.2012 | 7:12 PM ET

The only real hole in Jones game that I have noticed is that he leaves himself open with his fancy strikes, a big HW wrestler could easily take him down

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

Koeikan
Koeikan
  • Predictions:  194  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5
  • Post Score: 360

01.30.2012 | 7:12 PM ET

Jones doesn't have many holes, but one of the largest advantages he has is his wrestling/size/strength... which he loses if he moves to HW.

He'd stil have speed, but we're talking about a man who has never truly tasted defeat.  I think he may be underestimating what the loss of those tools would mean.  I think he should keep his focus on the LHW division for at least this year, otherwise he may bite off more than he's ready for. 

I think the following HWs would give him trouble as of today:
Barnett- size/technique/strength
Fedor- speed/experience/KO power
Cornier- wrestling/KO power
Valasquez- speed/wrestling/KO power/cardio
Lesnar (you know)- wrestling/arm triangle/strength
Overeem- striking/KO power/strength
Nelson- ground technique/KO power/strength
Junior Dos Santos- speed/technique/KO power/strength
Carwin- wrestling/KO power/strength

And the following I'm not sure about, but will include because we don't have a good baseline on Jones's submission defense yet:
Mir (possibly)
Big Nog (possibly)
Verdum (possibly)

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hybrid
Hybrid

01.30.2012 | 7:15 PM ET

Jon Jones relies on his speed, reach, and strength. His striking is incredibly sloppy, but his reach and speed lets him get out of the way of the opponents. Speed he'll have, but his reach advantage will decrease dramatically at HW. He'll be at a disadvantage at strength for sure. 

It might be a good thing for Jones to move up, because it'll force him to improve his striking technique.

Edit: Pat Barry would break his little chicken legs in the first round. Lol.

* Edited at 01.30.2012, 7:18 PM ET *

"History boils down to a few really awesome people doing really awesome stuff, and a bunch of idiots messing it up for everyone else."

fglop
fglop

01.30.2012 | 7:17 PM ET

ROY NELSON?!?!?! ***. PLEASE TELL ME. WHO IS ROY NELSON'S BIGGEST WIN?
xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx

01.30.2012 | 7:17 PM ET

Well Nick Diaz's litter pitter-patter slap boxing is sloppy as **** too, but for some reason, people act like it's boxing level.

Jones striking > Diaz's striking

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx

01.30.2012 | 7:18 PM ET

And Roy Nelson's biggest win is both literally and figuratively Stefan Struve.

Hybrid
Hybrid

@Bassistdood Nope, they're equally ****** as far as technique is concerned.

Koeikan
Koeikan

@fglop: styles make fights.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx

01.30.2012 | 7:22 PM ET

@Hybrid, I'd have to respectfully disagree.

When I see Jones strike his opponents, he DOES pick his shots well. He also has amazing timing, and knows how to be accurate. Jones also has a superhuman proprietory sense.

fglop
fglop

01.30.2012 | 7:22 PM ET

@koeikan Nelson's style hasn't allowed him to beat any top 20 opponents.
Hybrid
Hybrid

01.30.2012 | 7:23 PM ET

@bassist He also leaves himself completely open every time he throws a strike. At least Diaz MEANS to. 

Koeikan
Koeikan

01.30.2012 | 7:26 PM ET

Why even bring Diaz into this?  Anyway...

When Jones spars with profession boxers, he does it with Holly Holm. 
When Diaz spars with professional boxers, he does it Andre Ward.

:)

Can't we just say they are both effective strikers?  Jones' techniques (particularly his striking defense) aren't perfect.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Tests Positive for Banned Substance Ahead of Haney Fight, Denies Any Wrongdoing
  • MMA Mania : Cursed? Not Even Poatan Could Save UFC 301
  • MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie's Submission of the Month for April: One former UFC champ makes another tap for the first time
  • MMA Mania : ‘Big Lies!’ Garcia Reportedly Tests Positive For PEDs, Boxer Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Paul Hughes explains choosing PFL over UFC offer: 'I deserve to get compensated'
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Garcia tests positive for banned substance in Devin Haney fight, Garcia responds
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘These are people that are trying to attack me’: Garcia claims fake news on positive PED report
  • MMAFighting.com : No Bets Barred: Will Jose Aldo and Alexandre Pantoja give Brazil something to cheer about at UFC 301?
  • MMA Junkie : Reports: Ryan Garcia tested positive for PEDs in upset win over Devin Haney
  • Bad Left Hook : Report: Ryan Garcia tests positive for banned PED
  • MMA Mania : Topuria Denies Refusal Of Volk, Holloway Responds To ‘B—ching Motherf—ker’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301's Steve Erceg aware of unusual title shot opportunity, still feels pressure to win
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 fight card: Pantoja vs. Erceg
  • UFC.com : UFC Championship Fights That Have Happened In Rio de Janeiro
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Pereira takes down Daniel Cormier in UFC 301 hallway tussle
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Alex Pereira forces Daniel Cormier to plead for help with takedown: 'Stop this guy'
  • Middle Easy : Canelo Alvarez and Oscar De La Hoya Nearly Throw Hands in Heated Press Conference Confrontation
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 Embedded, episode 3: ‘I could fight right now’
  • MMA Mania : Video: Cormier Saved By Security From Pereira Manhandling
  • Middle Easy : Paige VanZant Not Looking Past Fellow OnlyFans Star Elle Brooke: ‘I’m Gonna Get Ready For War’