Tapology Forums

UFC ON FOX 2 LEAVES ME SO DEPRESSED!

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

AnthonyBrancato
AnthonyBrancato
  • Predictions:  9,831  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  642
  • Post Score: 58

01.29.2012 | 3:19 AM ET

Yeah, Rashad won - but for the 12th time in 15 fights when facing opponents 6'0" or larger dating back to and including his fights on TUF 2, he didn't finish the fight (by contrast, he has finished both of the opponents under 6'0" he has faced over that same period). 

In addition, with Chael Sonnen's "moral defeat" against Michael Bisping, you can forget about Sonnen beating Anderson Silva this summer.  I don't care if Anderson Silva was turning 97 in April instead of the allegedly "cursed" age of 37; anyone who now thinks that Sonnen is going to beat AS on the latter's home field (as in soccer field?) ought to have their head examined. 

And to add insult to injury from my point of view - which is that Rashad must move down to middleweight (a very real possibility if Anderson Silva were to lose the title there) - Lyoto Machida is making loud noises about doing that; and if he does it, no way Rashad will, since that effectively removes Rashad's loss to Machida from Rashad's record, for the purposes of determining the 205-pound rankings. 

Rashad deserves a better fate than spending the rest of his career battling for second place at light heavyweight; but that is now precisely the fate for which he is headed, after the Jones-Evans fight proves to be a carbon copy of either the Johnny Bedford-Louis Gaudinot fight from the TUF 14 finale card, or the Anderson Silva-Forrest Griffin fight from UFC 101.

* Edited at 01.29.2012, 8:48 AM ET *

"MMA Fan Since Season 2 Of The Ultimate Fighter"

Responses

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,489  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,788
  • Post Score: 180

01.29.2012 | 10:35 AM ET

How would it be like Anderson/Forrest? Anderson was just too quick for Forrest. Rashad is at least as quick as Jones. The Bedford/Gaudinot would be closer but Bedford is kind of a plodder and Rashad's more of an equal wrestler to Jones. Rashad could've been holding back last night especially since Jones was there watching. That's the angle I'd believe if I was a fan of Rashad's.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,489  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,788
  • Post Score: 180

01.29.2012 | 10:36 AM ET

And he was also very adept at blocking/parrying strikes which bodes well for combatting Jones long range techniques.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

C_Arnoud
C_Arnoud
  • Predictions:  3,914  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,448
  • Post Score: 200

01.29.2012 | 10:43 AM ET

to me the main event showed that rashad has little chance againts Bones.
Davis is basically Jon Jones without the striking and that will be the big difference.

besides that what depressed me was that Einemo and Maia made poor decisions and lost like that.
Maia wa probably the worse thing of the night. He thinks he was a boxing champ not a BJJ champ...
MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,359  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

01.29.2012 | 10:52 AM ET

I enjoyed it. I hope now people will stop doubting Bisping.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

01.29.2012 | 11:51 AM ET

UFC on Fox left me extremely disappointed.  I felt the Evans/Davis fight, the Sonnen/Bisping fight and the Maia/Weidman fight were lackluster.  I just couldn't believe that Maia didn't even use his best weapon.  What was he thinking?

And Evans didn't try to take Davis out enough for me.  I felt it was a disappointing snooze fest.  This is not the way to build our fanbase with the casual, mainstream fans.  I know not all events go according to plan but this was 3 fights that left me tepidly lukewarm.  

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

01.29.2012 | 12:02 PM ET

K1 Maia needs to GTFO. Now.

And contrary to the popular opinion, Evans impressed me vs. Davis. It showed me that he indeed does have the skills to be the sole person who stands a chance against Jones. He showed outstanding boxing with great evasiveness, he showed great wrestling and his speed was faster than ever.

The one thing that will be his downfall is his cardio which did not impress me to say the least. If he could keep up his first round workrate for 5 rounds, he'll be able to beat Bones. But he won't.

"الله أكبرl"

xxTank0019xx
xxTank0019xx
  • Predictions:  6,259  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,364
  • Post Score: 169

01.29.2012 | 12:06 PM ET

Yeah Maia did not impress me at all lastnight. he should have just stuck to what he is good at. 

"2012 GIF AV Grand Prix "FAH Q" Award winner!"

Anik
Anik

01.29.2012 | 12:10 PM ET

Oh his striking's good. He needs to stick to what he's the best in the world at, his freaking ridiculous BJJ that could submit Rickson Gracie.

"الله أكبرl"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

01.29.2012 | 12:10 PM ET

i agree with anik. evans destroyed the "spirit" of davis in first two rounds. i will take a chance with evans vs bones. i was also impressed with lavar johnson. those uppercuts were nasty vs beltran. 3-0 for Strikeforce fighters vs ufcs fighters and griggs and diaz are next. whoever said SF fighters could not compete needs to learn some math. lol. i told you SF fighters would hold there own or do better than wec fighters did. same thing when bellator fighters start coming over.

* Edited at 01.29.2012, 12:13 PM ET *

xxTank0019xx
xxTank0019xx

01.29.2012 | 12:21 PM ET

Bellator i think has some amazing fighters in all their ranks. LHW though i havent had time to look at. but BW, FW, LW, WW have some scary people. HW maybe.

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx
  • Predictions:  2,546  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,218
  • Post Score: 104

01.29.2012 | 12:22 PM ET

tl;dnr

* Edited at 01.29.2012, 12:22 PM ET *

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,359  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

01.29.2012 | 12:23 PM ET

The only thing that did leave me disappointed it K1 Maia. He doesnt use his jitz anymore and it really bugs me.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

01.29.2012 | 1:13 PM ET

Maia was extremely disappointing. I honestly never thought i'd see him trying to make a scramble to stand up lol

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

01.29.2012 | 1:26 PM ET

its obvious they need to put someone like josh neer vs another striker in the WW division so we get a bloody fight for fox tv. i must admit i watched the weidman //maia fight again on mmatko.com and i fell asleep. they need to put two strikers together in any division in LW or above.
Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,482  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

01.29.2012 | 1:36 PM ET

They need more exciting matchups on Fox cards. For every Shad/Davis they need a Barry/Hunt type of matchup

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

01.29.2012 | 1:43 PM ET

What the hell are you talking about TS with Rashad facing 6'+ to under 6' opponents. Sure he finished Sean Salmon and Jason Lambert but their skill level is nowhere near that of the 6'+ opponents he's faced. The fact he finished them had nothing to due with their height it had to do with their skill. He finished 6'2" Chuck Liddell, 6'3" Forrest Griffin, and 6'2" Tito Ortiz. If we are jumping back in time Rashad didn't finish Hector Ramirez who is 5'10" or Jamie Jara who primarily competes at MW now. Moving to MW won't help him in the height department looking down the top 10 here, there is only 1 top 10 MW under 6' tall. From what I read from your post is that Evans should run and hide from Jones because he doesn't stand a chance. Really the only argument for him moving down is Jon Jones is too good. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

01.29.2012 | 1:44 PM ET

Personally, I think they should have put Nate Diaz vs. Jim Miller as a #1 contender fight, for the next UFC on FOX card. Good fight, that has a really good chance of being super-exciting as well as having title implications. I think Jose would be great on FOX. Only 1 round, but it would be a highlight unlike anything they would have otherwise seen. The problem is, the UFC needs to build new stars. Rashad's 32. He's probably got 4 years or less left in the sport. Weidman is 27, but last night's performance did nothing to build him into a star. I really think the UFC should be using FOX as an opportunity to give the younger guys that are closing on a title shot, the chance to build large followings. People watch certain players in the NBA, because they watched them play in college. Darren Sproles, went to a high school in my hometown and broke a zillion records there. Now, everyone I know that watches football, always watches Sproles play specifically because he played in our hometown, then at K-State. Watching people fight when they're young so that the average fan can see how much better they are getting, creates a built-in fanbase for later. That's why I think that guys 27 and younger, with a tendency to put on good striking fights, and that finish a lot, are probably the best people to put on FOX cards. Just keep building the brand.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

xxTank0019xx
xxTank0019xx

01.29.2012 | 1:48 PM ET

I'm still happy. It was a free card so i can't complain

* Edited at 01.29.2012, 1:50 PM ET *

Anik
Anik

01.29.2012 | 1:57 PM ET

I think we could all conclude that Demian Maia is freaking crazy and deserves entrance into the Worst Gameplanners in MMA list.

"الله أكبرl"

wilflet
wilflet
  • Predictions:  8,201  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,413
  • Post Score: 228

01.29.2012 | 2:14 PM ET

@zarog, that depends who is lw champ in a few months, i dont think bendo vs miller is a marketable first defence.

what the hell was maia thinking trying to keep this standing, if he worked on the ground he'd arm bar this easily

"Demons run when a good man goes to war."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : Ronda Rousey writing script for her own Netflix biopic, no longer expected to star in film
  • MMAFighting.com : Oscar De La Hoya ‘definitely going to sue’ Canelo Alvarez for defamation after explosive claims
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 Embedded, episode 4: Jose Aldo, Alexandre Pantoja hang with soccer legend
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith insists there's no personal beef with UFC champ Alex Pereira
  • MMA Mania : ‘Beast’ Mode! Khamzat Now Training With ‘MVP’
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Merab Dvalishvili dig grave for Sean O’Malley, issue UFC 306 challenge
  • MMAFighting.com : Arnold Allen vs. Giga Chikadze set for UFC 304 in Manchester
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I’m definitely going to sue Canelo for defamation’: De La Hoya responds
  • MMAFighting.com : Cedric Doumbe doesn’t want Marc Goddard refereeing his fights again: ‘I don’t like the guy’
  • MMA Junkie : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia: 5 questions (and answers) before boxing showdown
  • Bad Left Hook : Boxing streaming and TV schedule for May 2-4
  • MMA Mania : Mexican Merab Has UF-Si Challenge For ‘Suga’
  • Middle Easy : Kamaru Usman and Henry Cejudo Offer Their Condolences to Francis Ngannou, Preview Jose Aldo’s UFC 301 Return
  • MMA Junkie : Caio Borralho plans to KO Paul Craig at UFC 301, avenge fellow Brazilians: 'I love this matchup'
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexander Volkanovski declares Jose Aldo the featherweight GOAT
  • MMA Mania : Co-op Live Cancelation Chaos!
  • MMA Junkie : Demetrious Johnson aspires to 'box a legend of the sport,' not a fellow MMA fighter
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 304 adds Arnold Allen vs. Giga Chikadze to Manchester lineup
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Steve Erceg, Caio Borralho, UFC 301 Predictions
  • MMAFighting.com : Michael Page trains with ‘beast’ Khamzat Chimaev