Tapology Forums

My Concerns with Volk

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

FresnoMMA
FresnoMMA
  • Predictions:  55,414  |  68.6%
  • Forum Posts:  7,436
  • Post Score: 204

10.22.2023 | 2:51 PM ET

It's been a while since I've listened to a post-fight press conference, and now that I have, I am a bit concerned about Alex Volkanovski.
These concerns are bred purely from what he has said after the fight, as well as his mentality going into the fight. I want it to be clear that I do not think his stock dropped after this fight, and I don't think that he's washed or "done" or anything of that matter. He is still the greatest champion of arguably the deepest division right now, and I personally think that he will beat Topuria.

"He's not a guy you take a fight on short notice with, but I needed it" (explains not for the money, but for other reasons)
"I never thought I would struggle with it, but for some reason when I wasn't fighting or in camp, I just do my head in" 
   He then explains how he doesn't understand why he was mentally struggling, because he has a great life and great family and tons of support, but that essentially training for a fight and fighting are the only things that keep his head straight.

There's then some back-and-forth with a journalist where they both seem to agree that a lot of fighters struggle with these issues, and can go to "dark places" (referencing Tyson Fury here) when not active.

Now of course he is emotional, understandably. Volk is a man who made it to the pinnacle of the sport and has been described as one of the hardest working inside and outside of the gym. This translates to many of his fights as well, dude is a ****** dog hence why he has become so admired by fans and athletes alike.

I always saw him as a guy who would go out on top, AND he very well still can and hopefully will. Losing twice to Islam does not change that at all. 
But he's 35 now, at featherweight, and like I wrote above he admits to having developed these strong urges recently and had never had this particular mindset before. Again, that is the mindset of NEEDING to fight in order to be in a "healthy" (my word, not his) state of mind.

GSP, Nunes, hell even DC all quit when they realized that they'd accomplished all they needed to, and that further pursuing fighting was way more of a risk than hanging them up with legacy intact.
Anderson, BJ, Chuck, Barao, literally an endless list of champions who couldn't let go of that itch. 

I'm not describing anything new here, I suppose what I'm saying is that I always expected that Volk would be the guy who gets out on top, which again, he still can. His comments are concerning in that if he continues this mindset going forward, especially into his later 30s, it could be a disaster and he may not be able to shake that itch to fight.

Responses

JM Barrie
JM Barrie
  • Predictions:  7,848  |  54.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,617
  • Post Score: -69

10.22.2023 | 3:42 PM ET

I have only watched Dana's post fight for the past many years.

The UFC doesnt know how to make true stars anymore so theres little need to hear them talk.

as for Alex, he should have told the UFC no.
I dont care how much the UFC offered.  You are already a champion. You are already making enough money.

You dont go into a title fight with a top 3 P4P fighter on 9-10 days notice.
Pure hubris from alex that you could call stupidity. 

If he takes the fight with the Georgia man in Dec, I have him losing. 

"1. Avoidant personality disorder _______________2. Maladaptive daydreaming"

FresnoMMA
FresnoMMA
  • Predictions:  55,414  |  68.6%
  • Forum Posts:  7,436
  • Post Score: 204

10.22.2023 | 4:03 PM ET

That's what I don't like, I really don't think that he did do it for the money. He alluded to being in a bad headspace and when he got the call for Islam it was what he needed for himself. 
And now he's just been KO'd, insisting that he fight asap and be kept busy. I'm choosing to believe him when he says it's not for the money. 

I don't necessarily think that it was stupid of him to take the fight, but definitely unwise to go into it thinking that you're going to win. 

And I would hope that there's no way they'd let him fight again that early. 
flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,740  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,780
  • Post Score: 273

10.22.2023 | 7:30 PM ET

This was a bad loss for him, not only did he lose, he got knocked out (TKO'd) in the first round. It is not a wise choice to come back in and fight as quickly as he said he will return. That said, he hasn't taken a large amount of damage of his career but I believe he needs some time off. 

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner Maheshate felt 'extra burden' after consecutive losses
  • MMA Mania : Covington On ‘Nobody’ Garry: ‘He’s Not Serious’
  • MMAFighting.com : Bryan Barberena announces UFC exit, calls for ‘real brawler’ BKFC battle with Mike Perry
  • MMA Junkie : Austin Hubbard admits he was 'super nervous, stressed out' before UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Junkie : Charly Arnolt details historic impromptu UFC cage announcer role: 'I was scared of messing up'
  • MMAFighting.com : Paddy Pimblett responds to UFC 300 callouts from Renato Moicano, Bobby Green
  • MMA Junkie : 'LokDog' Vinicius Oliveira gets Ricky Simon in first fight since UFC Knockout of the Year candidate
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner Don'Tale Mayes wants quick return on hometown Louisville card
  • MMA Mania : ‘My Style, It’s Worst Style For This Guy Dustin’
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves retires from combat sports after Mike Perry knockout loss at KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Ryan Garcia shows Colby Covington left hooks after Donald Trump meetup in Florida
  • MMAFighting.com : WATCH: Swedish fighter delivers incredible faceplant knockout in pro debut
  • MMA Junkie : GLORY Kickboxing vet Jhonata Diniz ready for 'big names' at heavyweight after UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Mania : Video: Garcia Striking Tips Open Colby’s Third Eye
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Perez on UFC main event knockout: ‘My friends always call me pillow hands, so now they can’t’
  • Middle Easy : Islam Makhachev Says Dustin Poirier Is A ‘Tough Fight’, Wants Arman Tsarukyan Next
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Alex Perez after UFC on ESPN 55 upset win?
  • MMAFighting.com : WATCH: UFC vet Hunter Azure flattens opponent with brutal one-punch knockout
  • Middle Easy : Video: Ryan Garcia Gives UFC Star Colby Covington Quick Striking Tutorial
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Perry thanks Conor McGregor for becoming BKFC owner: 'He's done remarkable things'