Topic: Kuivanen vs. Salas

Kuivanen vs. Salas

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,583  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,524
  • Post Score: 60

01.25.2012 | 9:20 PM ET

Prediction: correct Salas   correct Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Kuivanen vs. Salas. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

wyoelk
wyoelk
  • Predictions:  206  |  64.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: -100

01.25.2012 | 9:20 PM ET

Prediction: correct Salas   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

salas is going to kill him!!!!!!!
wake99
wake99
  • Predictions:  20,593  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,334
  • Post Score: 282

01.25.2012 | 9:29 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Kuivanen   wrong Decision  

Do you know him or train with him?
DonEmelianenko88
DonEmelianenko88
  • Predictions:  279  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  59
  • Post Score: 107

02.08.2012 | 10:00 AM ET

Another tough fight to pick.

Kuivanen is the number 2 lighweight in Europe, but Salas comes from a good camp (Grudge Training Center).

I'm leaning towards Kuivanen, an experienced guy with a good overall game.
SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

02.08.2012 | 10:56 AM ET

Salas is a beast...Excited to see him making his UFC debut! He earned this by beating Joe Ellenberger in Ellenberger's last fight before the UFC gave him the call up!!

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

Almo
Almo
  • Predictions:  2,058  |  64.0%
  • Forum Posts:  256
  • Post Score: 195

02.08.2012 | 11:00 AM ET

I picked Salas for the decision.  He did beat Emerson and gave Jake's younger bro his first loss recently.  But I don't know, seems like it will be a close fight

"Anger is never without a reason, but seldom with a good one" - Benjamin Franklin

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

02.12.2012 | 9:15 PM ET

77% of Tapology is gonna be wrong picking against Salas!

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

Hotrodttt
Hotrodttt
  • Predictions:  269  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5
  • Post Score: 240

02.12.2012 | 9:18 PM ET

Salas is a stud wrestler, and his gas tank is great. Good ground and pound as well

"Fedor via Armbar"

rorschach
rorschach
  • Predictions:  4,978  |  64.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 153

02.12.2012 | 9:47 PM ET

I've been going back and forth about this one all week. It wasn't till I talked to Joe via ****ter and he told me he had a off night, but Salas was a beast and deserved to win, that I finalized my pick. I'm gonna **** Excalibur again and ask him how he thinks Salas will do.

* Edited at 02.13.2012, 1:36 AM ET *

"I will **** you." ~Me

rorschach
rorschach

02.13.2012 | 2:01 AM ET

Here's the links, he didn't know much about the Swed, but said before Salas was a tough dude, so if Jake identical twin brother who is a bad ass mofo himself, give Salas props I gotta go with him.

Jeremy Gullion @jgullion77

@JoeEllenberger Hey my man how's training going? Hope your health is holding up great, been praying for U. How do U think Justin Salas cont.

8:40 PM - 12 Feb 12 via web · Details

@JoeEllenberger Is gonna do against his @UFC opponent this Wednesday in Omaha? I hope to see you in the octagon real soon, ur bad ass bro!!!

8:48 PM - 12 Feb 12 via web · Details

Joe Ellenberger @JoeEllenberger

@jgullion77 Training is good! I don't know much about his opponent, but it should be a good scrap!

In reply to Jeremy Gullion 10:19 PM - 12 Feb 12 via Twitter for iPhone

@jgullion77 @ufc Thanks for the support!!

In reply to Jeremy Gullion 10:19 PM - 12 Feb 12 via Twitter for iPhone

* Edited at 02.13.2012, 2:22 AM ET *

"I will **** you." ~Me

rorschach
rorschach

02.13.2012 | 2:21 AM ET

Here's our earlier conversation and links about how Joe is doing (he has that very dangerous and rare blood disorder or something to that effect) and about Salas;

https://twitter.com/#!/JoeEllenberger

@JoeEllenberger Hey bro I just found out U suffered UR first loss as a pro, did the guy just have better wrestling and hold U down 4 the W?

9:32 AM - 21 Jan 12 via web · Details

@JoeEllenberger I definitely didn't C that loss coming, R U still N good health & good spirits I hope? Still really looking forward to con..

9:34 AM - 21 Jan 12 via web · Details

@JoeEllenberger Seeing U in the @UFC real soon! UR a tremendous talent w/ A world of potential, U'll learn a gr8 deal frm the loss con...

9:36 AM - 21 Jan 12 via web · Details

@JoeEllenberger & B back stronger sharper, hungrier & better then ever! Maybe 1 more impressive W & U should get the call 2 the @ufc 4 sure!

9:39 AM - 21 Jan 12 via web · Details

@JoeEllenberger Im 1 of UR biggest supporters & fans 4 sure! Stay awesome homie -signed- @jgullion77 / @rorschach

9:42 AM - 21 Jan 12 via web · Details

@jgullion77 @rorschach Holy 5 tweets! Haha just had an off night, def not better than me, but had a better performance than me for sure.

Hide conversation 3:04 PM - 21 Jan 12 via Twitter for iPhone · Details

@jgullion77 @rorschach I am in good health, good spirits, surrounded by gr8 people & training partners & coaches, learned a lot & I am a

Hide conversation 3:06 PM - 21 Jan 12 via Twitter for iPhone · Details

@jgullion77 @rorschach better man & fighter because of it. Thanks for the support!Tune in for @EllenbergerMMA on Feb 15! #EllenbergerNation

Hide conversation 3:07 PM - 21 Jan 12 via Twitter for iPhone · Details

"I will **** you." ~Me

benjaminbrandt
benjaminbrandt
  • Predictions:  18,270  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  15,716
  • Post Score: 229

02.14.2012 | 8:57 AM ET

Salas just beat Ellenburger's brother, giving him his lone defeat in 13 fights. Before that he beat UFC vet Rob Emerson.

"I have not yet begun to defile myself. "

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

02.14.2012 | 9:11 AM ET

Salas vs Ellenberger, ...interesting they fight in a cage but it's a square!

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

02.14.2012 | 9:13 AM ET

and a Kuivanen highlight video...

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Kpro
Kpro
  • Predictions:  11,208  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,927
  • Post Score: 255

02.14.2012 | 5:45 PM ET

I've watched Kuivanens last 5 fights and Salas's last 4 fights for almost 2 hours of combined tape of both.  Kuivanen attempted two subs in that entire hour of in-ring action in his recent fights, he's become more of punches in bunches striker with a Guida pace and cardio so he wants this to be a 15 minute striking battle imo.  He wins a lot of his fights by punching someone back all the way to the cage with combo's and then flurries as their back is the cage.  The single person that switched levels as he mounts his offense going forward (Radcliffe) successfully took him down with a double but unfortunately the fight ended between rounds due to injury (a mouse under the eye from an Anton punch).  Anton was knocked down more than he knocked down his opponent in the fights I watched but he was never dazed.  In another fight a fighter with a sub .500 record, after an Anton slip, laid on top of him in his guard for 3 minutes while Anton tried for a Kimura.  The next round with the fighter on top in full guard again, Anton did a slick armbar attempt to back mount transition and submitted him with a RNC.

Of note, Salas doesn't stay in guards of guys with submission skills, his takedown when facing a guy like Anton is more of lifting a guy up and dropping him on his back without following to the ground, unless it's Hughes-style and he can land in side control.  Also he doesn't sit in anyones guard, he stands out of their guard holding their ankles kicking at their hammies and throwing a few punches to the body and head.  This may be because he's not as comfortable in his submission defense, but regardless it works for him and he stays busy enough standing up with his opponents back on the mat for the ref not to step in.  At one point he stood up from landing in side control after a slam to go back to his position of holding the ankles and throwing some kicks and punches if that says anything.

Both guys have cardio for days so no one should gas in this one, both guys look like they could go 10 rounds in every fight I saw, Anton will throw more punches, but since he's generally moving forwards while throwing, I have to assume Salas will take every opportunity to switch levels and dump him like Anton has never seen in Finland.  It all comes down to how quickly Anton can get back up because it's hard to submit a guy who's standing, holding your ankles, rather than attempting any passes or even entering your guard.  Because of this, I think Salas takes the decision.

* Edited at 02.14.2012, 6:02 PM ET *

"I Stab Waterbeds!"

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  20,916  |  71.6%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

02.14.2012 | 5:53 PM ET

good info there i came to the conclusion to pick Salas as well so i'm happy to hear someone who researched more say the same...

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

02.14.2012 | 6:00 PM ET

I picked Salas because his last 2 wins have been against Rob Emerson and Joe Ellenberger....both tough guys

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

basbylivershot
basbylivershot
  • Predictions:  3,685  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  5
  • Post Score: 20

02.14.2012 | 7:05 PM ET

Wow surprised to see 74% for the Fin here...

"Common sense is not so common."

norbar
norbar
  • Predictions:  2,367  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  473
  • Post Score: 129

02.14.2012 | 8:34 PM ET

I find it funny that the % on sherdog is completely opposite.

"“Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.” ― Oscar Wilde"

MMApicker42
MMApicker42
  • Predictions:  4,050  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,828
  • Post Score: 131

02.14.2012 | 8:47 PM ET

Kuivanen looks pretty tough and fought guys with good records, but the thing is they were all overseas mostly in finland, so I dunno how much credit I can give him. It says he trains at American Top Team, but that isn't even half true, because his main training is based out of TeamMMAFinland. So basically it's his first fight here in the U.S. I have to go with Sala's here, because he did beat 2 very tough guys in his last 2 fights and got the W (Joe Ellenberger & Emerson). and has the better credibility training constantly at Grudge center with better guys and not to mention is a collegiate wrestler (Not sure what Division). His wrestling should be the key to winning the fight.
Kpro
Kpro
  • Predictions:  11,208  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,927
  • Post Score: 255

02.14.2012 | 9:47 PM ET

He was DI at Wyoming.

"I Stab Waterbeds!"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : Watch UFC Vegas 91 weigh-in video live now
  • UFC.com : Karine Silva Is All-Business, All-Action
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau vs. Alex Perez prediction, pick: Which flyweight stays in contention at UFC on ESPN 55?
  • UFC.com : Jonathan Pearce: Knocking On The Door
  • MMA Mania : Coach Benched Dariush To ‘Focus On His Health’
  • UFC.com : Marnic Mann Gets Down To Business
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith ‘Shocked’ By How Good Sean Strickland Truly Is: ‘He Only Shows a Small Part of His Game’
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: BKFC: Knucklemania 4 pre-fight press conference
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves was basically retired until BKFC called for Mike Perry fight: ‘Money talks’
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC Vegas 91 Early Weigh Ins!
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo ready to trade leg kicks with Jonathan Martinez at UFC 301: 'I'm a specalist at what I do'
  • MMAFighting.com : Missed Fists: Fighter cusses out judge, tells them to quit
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champion Sean O'Malley on delay for Merab Dvalishvili title bout: 'I'm not fighting out of the country'
  • MMA Mania : BKFC ‘KnuckleMania 4’ Predictions
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith stands by Alex Pereira criticism but promises he’s not just ‘talking sh*t’ about him
  • UFC.com : Weigh-In Results | UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez
  • MMA Mania : Hunt Files To Unseal All Docs In UFC-Lesnar Lawsuit
  • MMA Junkie : Savannah Marshall signed with PFL for Claressa Shields rematch: 'The goal is to make a build-up'
  • MMA Mania : NSAC To Fine Biters, Brawlers And Diego Lopes?!?
  • MMA Mania : NAC To Fine Biters, Brawlers And Diego Lopez?!