Tapology Forums

UFC Fighter Bias

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

01.25.2012 | 4:47 PM ET

I have started to notice the longer I am on this site that there is a severe UFC fighter bias.  If a guy hasn't been in the UFC his whole career a majority of you seem to think that they suck.  I am curious as to why that is.  Obviously there are guys in the UFC that have no business being there and there are guys outside of the UFC that are successful. 

It reminds me of when WEC was brought into the UFC fold a majority of the MMA community of the thought they had no business being there and that the UFC fighters would walk thru them, well how has that worked out.

Just because a guy is not in the UFC does not mean he is not a top level fighter and would get massacred by the almighty UFC guys.

What does everyone else think about this bias towards guys in the UFC over fighters in other ORGS?

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Responses Page 4

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

01.26.2012 | 3:34 AM ET

Whos Anderson Silver? Is he related to Dennis Silver? You know, stubby guy.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

01.26.2012 | 3:40 AM ET

there are some bellator fighters who would do well in the ufc  WEC fighters have proven it. SF fighters have proven it and when  the time comes 8 or 9 bellator fighters will do it.. every UFC fighter started in some other organization 
jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

01.26.2012 | 3:42 AM ET

Even if you take Strikeforce and Bellator out of the equation....there are still a **** load of talented guys that would do very well in the UFC.....! Pisses me off when people say they are a huge MMA fan and yet only watch The UFC......

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

01.26.2012 | 3:42 AM ET

I dont think they suck. Its just as wolf said. They are unproven.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

01.26.2012 | 3:49 AM ET

Why does it piss people off? that makes no ******* sense. I'm a MASSIVE hockey fan, and all I watch is the NHL. Not the KHL, SEL, AHL, OHL..only the NHL. I'm a huge baseball fan, but i only watch the MLB. Its so dumb.. why does MMA have an exception for this? Like I don't have ******* time to scout and watch all the fights all over the world. I do have time to watch BY FAR the best organization in the world, the UFC. Why get upset at people for it? The UFC has the most commercialized and fined MMA product in the world. Sports fans enjoy quality.

Enough with that ****.

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

MMA4LIFE00
MMA4LIFE00
  • Predictions:  14,692  |  64.5%
  • Forum Posts:  648
  • Post Score: 66

01.26.2012 | 3:59 AM ET

i agree there are guys in the ufc who probably shouldnt be there and guys outside the ufc that could compete with the top ufc fighters in their weight class. the organization you fight for doesnt say how good you are
C_Arnoud
C_Arnoud
  • Predictions:  3,914  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,448
  • Post Score: 200

01.26.2012 | 6:56 AM ET

well fedor spent a lot of time winning and then he came to the big leagues and we all saw what happened, twice.
it kinda surprised me how unpolished he is for the legend people made me believe he was.
and now hes back taking only fights that he can win. So right there is the bias to me, that middle-of-the-road guys can look amazing against soft competition.

but yeah anybody starts at some place. i think Erick Silva (jungle fight champion) is going to be a contender pretty soon. i also like Mousasi and Melendez.
buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

01.26.2012 | 11:23 AM ET

they are not that many elite fighters outside of the ufc. Melendez, Chandler, Alvarez, Lombard...who else? MAYBE jacare, rockhold, and kennedy

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

Blackwork
Blackwork
  • Predictions:  4,678  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  900
  • Post Score: 162

01.26.2012 | 11:39 AM ET

I don't think you can make historical arguments on this. By that, I mean the tired Fedor didn't fight anyone in Pride stuff. The talent wasn't as abundant and centralized back then. Now, you literally have folks arguing the UFC is a monopoly.

"http://www.tapology.com/profiles/blackwork/my-rankings?ranking_type=member"

C_Arnoud
C_Arnoud
  • Predictions:  3,914  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,448
  • Post Score: 200

01.26.2012 | 1:16 PM ET

@buffalo right i forgot about Jacare. at least in BJJ he's solid, hes maybe not good for a UFC title but he could be a good contender.

@blackwork thats true. and im not attack fedor, i think he was really important for the sport for quite a long time. but at leleast in the fights i watched he didnt look anything like a legend, hes too little for a heavyweight (because of all that fat) and hes not technical. thats my problem, sometimes you dont know if you can believe a guys success in other promotions.
rorschach
rorschach
  • Predictions:  4,978  |  64.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 153

01.26.2012 | 4:55 PM ET

@Buffalo I would say the Lima brothers who fight for MFC & Bellator, the Freire brothers, who fight for Bellator are elite fighters, or are at least going to be. Some other fighters under the Bellator banner who I believe could compete in the UFC or will be able too in a couple years, Nazareno Malegarie, Marcin Held, Ronnie Mann, Pat Curran, Marlon Sandro, Zach Makovsky, Rick Hawn, Bryan Baker, Ryan Ford, Maiquel Falcao, Alexander Shlemenko & Ricco Rodriguez. I'd like to see all of these fighters in the UFC some day, because they definately have the talent to compete and win there!

"I will **** you." ~Me

Boromir
Boromir
  • Predictions:  38  |  71.1%
  • Forum Posts:  127
  • Post Score: 498

01.26.2012 | 5:00 PM ET

There's definitely legit talent outside of the UFC, Alexander Shlemenko looks like he could hold his own in the Octagon. A lot of people didnt believe Cerrone and the WEC crew would cut it in the UFC and now look. Then again, alot of fighters havent been as good as they were in other organisations; one does not simply walk into the Octagon.

"One does not simply walk into Mordor."

buffalo ben
buffalo ben

01.26.2012 | 5:09 PM ET

oh right pat curran. How could i forget? that kid is the truth 

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

01.26.2012 | 7:33 PM ET

Nazareno Malegarie, holy **** I haven't heard about him in ages. Pat Curran is money, he's very good. Zach Makovsky is meh to be honest, I don't see him beating anyone in the top 10 for the UFC. Falcao is good, everyone knows that. He used to fight in the UFC but got caught due to legal troubles.

"Ricco Rodriguez. I'd like to see all of these fighters in the UFC some day," We're talking about the same Ricco right? The former title challenger in the UFC? Lolz.

"الله أكبرl"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

01.26.2012 | 7:35 PM ET

Oh and Shlemenko is great to watch, but he lost to Hector Lombard who I'm convinced, is the most overrated fighter out of the UFC banner.

"الله أكبرl"

buffalo ben
buffalo ben

01.26.2012 | 9:41 PM ET

you can't have it both ways anikM. Either Lombard is better than you are giving him credit, or Schlemenko is not as good as you think he is. 

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

01.26.2012 | 9:53 PM ET

The UFC Bias is just a byproduct of UFC having the majority or the best fighters in the world. Guys in the UFC get ranked in the top 10 because UFC signs good fighters and they fight a constant level of good competition.  I remember Jorge Santiago being touted as top 10 after his run outside the UFC upon his return he went 0-2. Champions of other organizations are UFC gatekeepers, it's just how it is. It's also why more often then not we pick former UFC fighters to win whenever they fight outside the UFC. There are good fighters outside the UFC unfortunately they don't have the competition to prove it. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

rorschach
rorschach

01.26.2012 | 11:48 PM ET

@Anik LOL yeah the same Rico Rodriguez, I hear he has really turned over a new leaf, and is even fighting at LHW now. I don't know something about his comeback story intrigues me.

"I will **** you." ~Me

rorschach
rorschach

01.26.2012 | 11:49 PM ET

@Anik You don't like Nazareno?

"I will **** you." ~Me

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

01.27.2012 | 12:15 AM ET

I lost all hope of a Ricco Rodriguez comeback after he got knocked out by Seth Petruzeli. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

Page 4

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC.com : Weigh-In Results | UFC St. Louis
  • MMA Mania : Prochazka Ready For Pereira Rematch In June
  • Jits Magazine : Watch UFC Veteran Merab Dvalishvili Grappling With Indian Wrestlers On The Beach
  • Jits Magazine : The IBJJF Announces The Return Of The Crown For 2024
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘I Could Smell Your Fear’
  • Bad Left Hook : Adames vs Gausha and Puello vs Russell reportedly set for June 15
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Don’t Care About The Title. I Just Want To Fight Jones’
  • MMA Mania : McGregor Required To Reveal Earnings From Proper No. Twelve Sale
  • MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie Radio #3461: Daniel Cormier and Austin O'Connor interviews, UFC preview, more
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia extend partnership for another event, sponsorship deal
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley aims for 'viral moment' in St. Louis homecoming fight at UFC on ESPN 56
  • MMA Mania : Dolidze Vs. Pereira Added To UFC Louisville
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC heavyweight Tai Tuivasa to appear on The Amazing Race Australia
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jared Cannonier Was Offered Paulo Costa At UFC 301, Admits Next Fight ‘Wasn’t What I Wanted’
  • MMA Mania : Jones: ‘Intern’ Champ Aspinall ‘Just As Selfish’ To Wait For Undisputed Title Fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is retirement for him’: Kambosos expects to end Lomachenko’s career with KO
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is retirement for him’: George Kambosos expects to end Vasiliy Lomachenko’s career with KO
  • Middle Easy : Stipe Miocic Reveals Timeline For Jon Jones Fight as ‘Bones’ Doubles Down on Ducking Tom Aspinall
  • UFC.com : Road To UFC Season 3 Matchups
  • MMA Junkie : Jared Cannonier vs. Nassourdine Imavov headlines UFC Fight Night in Louisville