Tapology Forums

Instant Replay in MMA, UFC will be using internationally now.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

01.22.2012 | 12:37 PM ET

Instant replay in MMA to me is an idiotic idea.  what are we gonna do, stop the fight in order to see if a guy tapped, or if he was hit in the back of the head?  what if he didn't tap, do we put him back in the submission and restart them???

Instant replay I am sure is another FOX idea that will only create more trouble than it is worth. Similar to the Strike camera they created for baseball games which now have people criticizing every pitch of a game even though you don't get an accurate view of the strike zone due to the camera angle.  while Instant replay may work for sports like NFL, NHL and NBA it does not have a place in MMA or BASEBALL.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Responses

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

01.22.2012 | 12:46 PM ET

Why would it have anything to do with Fox. What does Fox care?

There was opposition to instant replay in football, and it was slowly rolled out one step at a time, with strict rules on what was vs was not eligible for review.  And it works pretty well.

I expect it will be the same thing with UFC.  There are specific times where a mistake can be corrected and instant replay will do just that.

Case in point: Yamasaki calls Silva/Prater a DQ win for Prater. Instant replay review and decides he's wrong, and it becomes a no-contest.  Instant replay wins.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Lopati
Lopati

01.22.2012 | 12:50 PM ET

gregory, the silva fight while it may have changed the official record from a loss to an NC, doesn't change the fact that we all know that Silva won the fight and the only fighter that really cares about his record is Floyd Mayweather.  silva knows he won, Dana paid him for winning and the loss probably got him more fans than he would have gained had he won the fight.

instant replay works in the nfl because after every play there is dead time, that provides time for Instant replay, how do you decide what is reviewable in a fight?  and if a call is reviewed and overturned do you restart the fight or just make it a NC?

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Gregory
Gregory

01.22.2012 | 12:57 PM ET

Now you're saying it doesn't matter that Prater got the win, and there's no difference between that and a no contest, and nobody cares about records? Bah!!  Good luck with that argument.

As for your second question, you're making a lot of assumptions about how instant replay would be used.  Whatever you think instant replay in MMA means, is not what it actually means.

Look at the NBA.  The ONLY place where instant replay is used is in the LAST PLAY of a quarter to determine if the ball left the player's hands before the time ran out.   The other 99% of the basketball game is not reviewable.

It would be the same with the UFC.  They would decide the specific situations where it would be appropriate.

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah
  • Predictions:  7,993  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  8,433
  • Post Score: 103

01.22.2012 | 12:57 PM ET

It's not really going to be for things like that Lopati, it will mainly be used for fight ending results, such as was his knee on the ground when fighter A kicked him in the face? Was fighter B really grabbing the fence when I took that point away from him. Things like that. I think it's a great thing for the UFC.
Lopati
Lopati

01.22.2012 | 12:59 PM ET

Messiah, so does it become a no contest or do you restart the fight from where they were and deduct the point.

how many times have any of us ever said, "If only there was instant replay in MMA?"  not many if any.

Lopati
Lopati

01.22.2012 | 1:01 PM ET

Gregory, they have expanded replay in the NBA now to the point they can see if a guys foot was on the line for a 3 pointer and several other areas of the game.

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah
  • Predictions:  7,993  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  8,433
  • Post Score: 103

01.22.2012 | 1:02 PM ET

your right but how great would it have been to have instant replay for the Silva fight? IMO if we had instant replay I don't see any way you don't make that a win instead of a DQ. Yamasaki stopped the fight and then made the call when Prater was saying he was hit in the back of the head. And in that case it would have been GREAT for there to be instant replay. It's not something that will be used frequently, but it is a great option to have in freak situations.
crimedawg92
crimedawg92
  • Predictions:  4,672  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  279
  • Post Score: 160

01.22.2012 | 1:03 PM ET

I don't know how I feel about instant replay.  The ref is right next to the fighters in the best position to make a decision.  There are bad calls, but there are bad calls in any sport.  How about when they say that someone tapped and they end the fight but he didn't tap?  I was at the VS fight in October and Roller got tapped but by verbal submission and how is it possible to tell if he really did or didn't because it was a "grunt"?

It's fighting--things happen fast, replay would have helped make the Prater fight a NC, but overall I don't see much reason for it.  I hope they don't abuse it and replay every single blow to try and take away a win from a guy who clearly won but had one hit that was "questionable".  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

"Victory Loves Preparation"

Lopati
Lopati

01.22.2012 | 1:06 PM ET

can anyone list another fight besides Prater-Silva where Instant replay would have been a benefit.

and everyone is slamming my opinion but not answering any of the questions I have posed?

crimedawg92
crimedawg92

01.22.2012 | 1:07 PM ET

Hehe...Ludwig's quickest KO maybe?

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508

01.22.2012 | 1:07 PM ET

Instant replay should be used for fight endings, much like how every touchdown is reviewed in the NFL. If strikes to the back of the head occur, the ref can turn the fight from a win to a no-contest. Simple.

"الله أكبرl"

Lopati
Lopati

01.22.2012 | 1:11 PM ET

so kendall grove on several occasions last night struck minowa in the back of the head, should that be a no contest????  there is a difference between deliberate strikes to the back of the head and hitting a guy in the back of the head because he is moving around.

and not every TD is reviewed, regardless of what is being told.

hell lets give the corner guy a challenge flag while were at it.  this is MMA not NFL or NBA.

Gregory
Gregory

did they? (3 pointers) 

i don't watch much basketball.  but it only proves the point. just like football, they pick specific situations, and they slowly roll it out.  it's done pretty carefully.  if you think that they'll be pausing MMA fights every 10 seconds to review, i believe you're confused.

crimedawg92
crimedawg92

@Anik--So just for fun, I went to my DVR and watched Nog's win over Tito and he hit him in the back of the head right before the fight was called.  Are you telling me that Tito deserved a NC in that fight?  C'mon man...

rorschach
rorschach
  • Predictions:  4,978  |  64.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 153

01.22.2012 | 1:12 PM ET

@crimedawg although that Silva/Prater call was complete ********, and I was inclined to be in favor of replay afterwards, you convinced me with your very compelling argument. Human error is part of any sport, and is a component in what makes mma and all sports that don't use it, so interesting. Great post bro, you deserve a thumb's up!

"I will **** you." ~Me

crimedawg92
crimedawg92

01.22.2012 | 1:13 PM ET

While we're at it we can add in a 2 minute warning in the last round for everyone to catch their breath

Gregory
Gregory

01.22.2012 | 1:13 PM ET

so kendall grove on several occasions last night struck minowa in the back of the head, should that be a no contest????  there is a difference between deliberate strikes to the back of the head and hitting a guy in the back of the head because he is moving around.

No, obviously not. And nobody is suggesting it should be.  You're getting fired up about things nobody is even talking about.

edit - well it seems @anik is suggesting it. but otherwise this seems like much ado about nothing.

* Edited at 01.22.2012, 1:14 PM ET *

rorschach
rorschach
  • Predictions:  4,978  |  64.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 153

01.22.2012 | 1:18 PM ET

@Lopati Wiman v.s. Danzig 1, but you're right with very few exceptions IR has been hardly necessary.

"I will **** you." ~Me

Lopati
Lopati

01.22.2012 | 1:18 PM ET

Gregory, how is that not what we are talking about, that is the whole issue with the Silva-Prater fight.  strikes to back of head caused a DQ loss.  so since Grove won the fight even though he struck the back of the head it is ok.  

I am not getting fired up, just don't see a point or use for instant replay, lol.

baseball has instant replay but I don't think that helped Armando Gallaraga maintain his perfect game in Detroit 2 years ago on what would have been the last play of the game.  Instant replay is a subjective process and is not objective at all.  

Gregory
Gregory

01.22.2012 | 1:23 PM ET

Dude, just like basketball.  They only review the last play when the game is stopped anyway.

Same thing in MMA. They only review when the fight is stopped anyway.

Silva vs Prater... fight was stopped and there is clear opportunity to review and see what happened.

Koscheck vs Rumble... fight was stopped because Koscheck says he got kneed in the head. Officials are conferring and Rumble has a point taken away. While at the exact same time, as the fight is stopped, everyone watching on TV and on the screens in the arena can see that no knee landed.  Point should not be taken away.  Easy.  Instant replay wins.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia still denies PED use but says he fought Devin Haney while 'high as f*ck'
  • MMA Mania : Bare Knuckle Bonanza! BYB Acquires UK-Based BKB
  • Jits Magazine : IBJJF San Jose Spring Open 2024 Produces Entertaining Highlights
  • Jits Magazine : 20 BJJ Basics, Concepts And Philosophy You Must Know
  • Bad Left Hook : Charlo finally stripped of WBC middleweight title, Adames elevated
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Dana White Busts FedEX Driver In NYC
  • Middle Easy : Colby Covington Denies Receiving Contract Offer for Ian Garry Fight: ‘He’s Trying to Get Clickbait’
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Paid More in Taxes Than He Made From Fighting in the UFC Last Year
  • MMA Junkie : USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie rankings, May 7: Jose Aldo returns to top 10
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Details Impromptu Wrestling Match with Alex Pereira, Weighs in on Potential Fight Between ‘Poatan’ and Jon Jones
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal 2 shifted to July 6, avoids UFC 302 conflict
  • MMA Junkie : Report: Jermall Charlo arrested for DWI after crashing car
  • MMA Mania : Masvidal-Diaz 2 Delayed To Avoid Scheduling Conflict
  • MMA Junkie : Colby Covington denies contract offer for Ian Machado Garry: 'This fight has not been presented'
  • MMA Mania : Sticking Around! ‘This Is The Best I’ve Felt’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘It’s only a few pounds north’: Vergil Hunter talks possibility of Naoya Inoue taking on Gervonta Davis
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘It’s only a few pounds north’: Vergil Hunter talks possibility of Inoue facing Tank
  • MMA Junkie : Saudi Arabia announces extended partnership with UFC, including pay-per-view sponsorship
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303: McGregor vs. Chandler adds undefeated prospect to lineup
  • MMA Mania : ‘What I’m Going To Do To McGregor Is Going To Warrant’ Retirement