Tapology Forums

WHEN/HOW DID YOU START WATCHING MMA?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

12.29.2011 | 1:07 PM ET

I got into MMA in a very weird way, I was a HUGE pro wrestling fan and I'd listen to a combat sports radio show. The problem was that they'd talk 1h 40 min of MMA and then end the show with 20 minutes of wrestling talk. I was so into wrestling that'd I'd wait through the MMA talk to listen to the MMA talk and I did that for at least 2 years. When someone brought up UFC and GSP (he's huge here), I'd be talking about guys like Gegard Mousasi and Rousimar Palhares (they were the coolest names so they were the easiest to remember) and they'd assume I was a huge MMA fan. But then I'd tell them I've never watched an MMA fight before and they'd be like what the hell.

Eventually I watched some fights but I really started getting into it in the summer of 2010. What really launched me from fan to super fan was the GSP-Kos Ultimate Fighter season.

First MMA fight watched: GSP vs Matt Hughes I
First PPV fight watched (illegally): Shane Carwin vs Brock Lesnar
First full PPV watched: UFC 124
First epic shock: Watching Brock Lesnar look like a ***** against Cain Velasquez
First Live event: hasn't happened :/

"الله أكبرl"

Responses Page 2

operez34
operez34
  • Predictions:  2,235  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  4
  • Post Score: 100

12.29.2011 | 7:13 PM ET

K1 Shields
K1 Shields
  • Predictions:  405  |  59.0%
  • Forum Posts:  692
  • Post Score: 41

12.29.2011 | 7:38 PM ET

I used to go over to my friends house and he would be watching it all the time. I didn't really like it at first but it kind of grew on me after seeing it every time I was there. Then one day I was there and a TUF 9 marathon came on and it ended with season 9 finale, I thought the Sanchez vs Guida fight was amazing. In my opinion it really showed everything MMA was all about.

I didn't really watch much MMA after that but I kept up with it, seeing who won and spent my time learning more about the fighters rather than watching. Then my friends dad took us out to the bar one night for dinner and it was UFC night and the event was UFC 117.

I never really liked Anderson at this point (Leites vs Anderson was the first fight I had watched online, and I was confused at what was happening as I didn't understand MMA much at this point, but it was a boring fight nonetheless.) and I thought this Chael Sonnen character looked like he was about ready to hurt this guy, and he did for 4 and a half rounds... Needless to say I went home that night a bitter man, with a new outlook on MMA and have not missed an event since (with the exception of Kampmann vs Sanchez).

"Anderson Silva you SUCK!!" - Chael Sonnen UFC 136.

MQuestionable
MQuestionable
  • Predictions:  7,456  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,603
  • Post Score: 284

12.29.2011 | 7:58 PM ET

Delicious copypasta from the last thread

My first exposure to MMA was with my dad renting old school UFC videos from Blockbuster when I was a kid; I always liked Tank Abbott.  From then on I was vaguely aware of UFC/MMA (TUF ads during WWE RAW, Pride on FSN, UFC Unleashed) but was never really a fan until I had moved out with some friends in early 2009.  With no internet where I was living, I watched a lot of TV and would catch WEC Wrekcage damn near every afternoon - the WEC really made me a fan!  I liked Brian Stann, Urijah Faber, Jose Aldo, Rob McCullough, Jamie Varner, and Donald Cerrone a lot.  This was around the time of UFC 98 because I remember seeing Evans vs Machida ads every day.  Since then I've watched all the numbered UFC + Pride events and can't get enough MMA.
skeet2b
skeet2b
  • Predictions:  8,330  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,703
  • Post Score: 158

12.30.2011 | 12:18 AM ET

I was a big fan Van Damme movies like Lionheart and Bloodsport, so when I heard about UFC 1 I was all about it. Me and my buddy convinced his mom to let us order it and at the time it was the greatest thing I had ever seen.  I was into wrestling back then too so me and a lot of my buddies started a UFC/WWF club at our highschool and we would hang out and watch old UFC and MMA fights

"A true champion, face to face with his darkest hour, will do whatever it takes to rise above. A man fights, and fights, and then fights some more. Because surrender is death, and death is for *******"

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

12.30.2011 | 12:21 AM ET

I'm confussed about k1 shield's story. You are bitter? Is that because you still don't know about jiu-jitsu?

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

ufcchick2011
ufcchick2011
  • Predictions:  17,099  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,674
  • Post Score: 177

12.30.2011 | 1:00 AM ET

UFC 61- Ortiz vs Shamrock II- Went to a friends house and they had it on.  I have been watching it pretty consistently now for the past 7 years :)

"The only way to guarantee failure is by giving up" Frank Mir

putaforkinya
putaforkinya
  • Predictions:  10,025  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  736
  • Post Score: 236

12.30.2011 | 12:54 PM ET

mike tyson went to Jail and i needed someone to fill that void as all other boxers sucked at the time. my brother taped the first UFC and let me watch it when my mom wasn't home as i was to young (or so she thought) ken shamrock entered the otcogon in 1993 which filled that void good enough to get me hook me into watching every single ufc from the first one to the present. 

" holy **** did you see that?, baddest ***********er ever, hooooly ****" -Dana White seconds after Silva KO'd Vitor

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Haney Requests Garcia Rematch Because ‘Weight Played A Role’ In Defeat
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill Brutally Honest On UFC 300 Regrets, Who Should Be Next For Alex Pereira
  • MMA Mania : Return Of The Bare Knuckle King
  • MMA Mania : PFL MENA Inaugural Event Set For May 10 In Riyadh
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive – Jamahal Hill Talks ‘Crazy’ BMF Title Clash at UFC 300, Comments on Ryan Garcia’s Epic Troll Job
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping warns Michael Chandler not to underestimate Conor McGregor: 'Can't be drunk on your own ego'
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Prograis says karma caught up to Haney in Garcia fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Regis Prograis says karma caught up to Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘Stop Running!’ Vieira Claims Harrison Declined UFC 303 Fight Offer
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill On Fighting Khalil Rountree So Soon At UFC 303, Rejecting A Main Event
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva explains how fast UFC rise was actually deceivingly long
  • MMA Junkie : Marlon Vera calls out Petr Yan for November showdown after he previously 'declined,' Yan fires back
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Strongman Hall Breaks Pereira Punch Record ... Kind Of
  • MMAFighting.com : Coach Rafael Cordeiro: Beneil Dariush took time off after repeated head trauma in 2023
  • UFC.com : It’s Not Just Winning For Victor Henry, It’s How He Wins
  • MMA Junkie : Title or not, Jamahal Hill says Alex Pereira rematch has to happen
  • MMA Mania : Video: Hill Praises Pereira’s ‘Gritty’ UFC 300 Ref Block
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Mike Perry, Thiago Alves engage in tense faceoff ahead of BKFC KnuckleMania IV showdown
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference faceoffs featuring UFC vets Mike Perry, Thiago Alves
  • MMA Junkie : Uros Medic: 'Somebody is going to get oiled up' if I get snubbed of bonus at UFC on ESPN 55