Tapology Forums

WHEN/HOW DID YOU START WATCHING MMA?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 111

12.29.2011 | 1:07 PM ET

I got into MMA in a very weird way, I was a HUGE pro wrestling fan and I'd listen to a combat sports radio show. The problem was that they'd talk 1h 40 min of MMA and then end the show with 20 minutes of wrestling talk. I was so into wrestling that'd I'd wait through the MMA talk to listen to the MMA talk and I did that for at least 2 years. When someone brought up UFC and GSP (he's huge here), I'd be talking about guys like Gegard Mousasi and Rousimar Palhares (they were the coolest names so they were the easiest to remember) and they'd assume I was a huge MMA fan. But then I'd tell them I've never watched an MMA fight before and they'd be like what the hell.

Eventually I watched some fights but I really started getting into it in the summer of 2010. What really launched me from fan to super fan was the GSP-Kos Ultimate Fighter season.

First MMA fight watched: GSP vs Matt Hughes I
First PPV fight watched (illegally): Shane Carwin vs Brock Lesnar
First full PPV watched: UFC 124
First epic shock: Watching Brock Lesnar look like a ***** against Cain Velasquez
First Live event: hasn't happened :/

"الله أكبرl"

Responses

snowman
snowman
  • Predictions:  20,082  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  270
  • Post Score: 171

12.29.2011 | 1:14 PM ET

i started watchin ufc n other orgs about 6months ago was in to boxin but once i watch ufc with rizla.....i havnt looked back not sure wot i would do with out it now ....lol
wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

12.29.2011 | 1:14 PM ET

UFC number 1. near denver colorado. i remember the kickboxer knocking out the teeth of i think that 600 pound guy. gracie chokes out said kickboxer in finals for either 25,000 or 50,000 dollars.
SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  31,993  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 134

12.29.2011 | 1:15 PM ET

Near Denver?

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah
  • Predictions:  7,992  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  8,433
  • Post Score: 42

12.29.2011 | 1:16 PM ET

I like many others was first exposed to UFC during the TUF 1 finale. The following week on Max Kellerman's show I can't remember the name and Chuck Liddell was on there interviewing for the 2nd Randy Couture fight I became a fan then but it wasn't until I discovered Sherdog just prior to UFC 97 that I evolved into the uber fan that I am today. The first UFC PPV I watched straight through was UFC 98 and I haven't missed one since. Shocking to me how many people such as you on this site are so new to the sport. 
wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

12.29.2011 | 1:17 PM ET

i thought it was a suburb of denver. (broomfield?)

* Edited at 12.29.2011, 3:15 PM ET *

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

12.29.2011 | 1:18 PM ET

mcnichols sports arena denver colorado.
SoccerKick
SoccerKick

12.29.2011 | 1:20 PM ET

The first 2 UFC events were in Denver...UFC 1 was in McNichols Arena which is where the Nuggets and Avalanche played before the Pepsi Center opened...and UFC 2 was at Mammoth Gardens which is now The Fillmore a concert venue

MegaDave
MegaDave
  • Predictions:  7,985  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,656
  • Post Score: 120

12.29.2011 | 1:20 PM ET

my first real intro was was seeing TUF 3.  A wrestling teammate of mine showed me a bootleg version of Sherk vs Hughes and I was hooked.

"I'm sorry that the brilliance of my words goes over your heads. I'm not going to stop being an eagle just because I am surrounded by turkeys-CS"

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,573  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 133

12.29.2011 | 1:28 PM ET

hackney-yarborough was one of the first fights I watched, But it was the 2000 Pride Open GP that hooked me.  Sakuraba-Gracie is a fight that would hook anyone.  

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Joker313
Joker313
  • Predictions:  34,251  |  65.4%
  • Forum Posts:  575
  • Post Score: 167

12.29.2011 | 1:30 PM ET

The first MMA I ever watched was the first season of TUF and the TUF 1 Finale live. After that I seen a few PPVs like Royce Gracie v Hughes and BJ v GSP 1. I started watching every event starting with UFC 80, haven't missed one since.
AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,174  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 202

12.29.2011 | 1:46 PM ET

I'm just going to copy and paste my response from a similar thread from a month or 2 back.

I was vaguely familiar with the sport at a pretty young age.  I was only 9 back in 1994 when the McDojo I went to put a poster up by the bathroom advertizing UFC 3.  We even had a seminar with Relson Gracie once.  He taught us the triangle.  I thought it was stupid, and would clearly never work in real life. 

At this point I was curious about the UFC, but I didn't actually see a fight until a couple of years later.  I forget where I saw it, but the first fight I did see was Pat Smith vs Scott Morris.  I was still only maybe 11 or so at the time.  The rules were crazy back then.  The fight only ended because Pat Smith stopped hitting Morris with elbows from the mount, and walked away.  It was totally brutal, and scared the crap out of me. lol

I sort of forgot about the UFC after that for a few years.  Then TUF came out.  I didn't watch the whole season when it first aired, but I caught a few episodes, which was enough to peak my interest.  I went online, and started looking up whatever UFC fights I could find.  I found Matt Hughes, GSP, and BJ Penn.  I watched Hughes vs Trigg 2, Hughes vs Newton 1, Hughes vs GSP 1, GSP vs Heiron, Penn vs Uno 1, Penn vs Thomas, and finally Penn vs Hughes 1, which instantly made me a die hard BJ Penn fan.

After that I started watching TUF 2, and ordering the PPV's.  Shortly after I discovered Pride, which really made a hardcore fan out of me.  I started buying all the MMA DVD's I could get my hands on.  Nowadays I'm obsessed.  It's the only sport I really care about other than boxing.

"Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it." - George Foreman

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  29,276  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  22,462
  • Post Score: 161

12.29.2011 | 3:19 PM ET

First event watched: PRIDE 24

Dad was telling me about a guy named Dan Henderson. Then after watching Pride 24 I fell in love with the sport. I was only about 11. MMA has been in my life ever since.

"Is normal. Everybody go down." -- Patricky Pitbull

FresnoMMA
FresnoMMA
  • Predictions:  24,283  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  7,276
  • Post Score: 143

12.29.2011 | 4:02 PM ET

@Anik Dude I came across MMA basically the same way that you did.  I watched the GSP/Kos season of TUF and then my first full UFC event was UFC 124
zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 197

12.29.2011 | 4:28 PM ET

About 4 years ago, they were showing WEC reruns on VS. Just so happened to see Condit take out John Alessio. That was the 2nd time I had seen cagefighting, and the first time it was interesting. Got hooked on WEC, and watched a lot of the fights from the WEC and now watch UFC, and if I can find other promotions to watch, I watch those as well.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,847  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 153

12.29.2011 | 4:36 PM ET

I dabbled in it over the years, just randomly seeing replays on cable TV. Pride, older UFC stuff, IFL. I thought it was cool, but only knew a couple of big and obvious names at the time, I wasn't huge into it, just would watch it when it was on. I got absolutely hooked when the WEC was gaining popularity, seeing some of the fights from the smaller weight classes. Occasionally saw a PPV, but still watched a lot on cable. Been a few years since i really became a hardcore fan, i've probably missed two or three PPVs in the past two or three years.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,058  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,230
  • Post Score: 194

12.29.2011 | 4:55 PM ET

Well I have always been a fan of martial arts so I guess it started with like old bruce lee flicks, bloodsport, segal's older movies stuff like that. I think the first mma I remember seeing was some vitor fights online somewhere. I think I started watching the UFC religiously around UFC 55 or so and havent missed any since then

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 96

12.29.2011 | 5:42 PM ET

First MMA fight watched : Diego Sanchez vs Clay Guida
First PPV fight watched : George Sotiropoulos vs Kurt Pellegrino
First full PPV watched : UFC 116
First big shock : Lesnar surviving!
First live event : UFC 138 :)

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

SoccerKick
SoccerKick

12.29.2011 | 5:46 PM ET

• First MMA fight: I don't remember
  • First PPV fight watched: Kendall Grove vs Alan Belcher (assuming since it was the 1st fight on the tv portion)
  • First full PPV watched: UFC 69
  • First big shock: Serra/GSP!
  • First live event: WEC 51

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 111

12.29.2011 | 6:32 PM ET

@FresnoMMA That's awesome.

"الله أكبرl"

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,814
  • Post Score: 167

12.29.2011 | 6:37 PM ET

First Fight Watched: Matt Hughes VS Royce Gracie. (UFC 60)
First Card: Georges St. Pierre VS Matt Serra II (UFC 83)
First Live Event: UFC 129
First Big MMA fighter I found out about: Matt Hughes

I don't even remember how I got into it. Highschool was one big drunken blur.

* Edited at 12.29.2011, 6:39 PM ET *

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Shavkat Rakhmonov adds Nick Diaz, Jorge Masvidal to callout list with 'Wonderboy' after UFC on ESPN 38
  • MMAFighting.com : Shavkat Rakhmonov reveals ideal next opponents including Nick Diaz and Jorge Masvidal
  • MMA Junkie : Mateusz Gamrot turns attention to 'most brutal guy' Justin Gaethje, part of 'simple plan' after UFC on ESPN 38 win
  • MMAFighting.com : Tyson Fury agrees to $1 million bet with Jake Paul for Tommy Fury fight, doubts Paul can actually pay
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 38 Promotional Guidelines Compliance pay: 2022 total passes $4 million
  • MMA Junkie : Fight Tracks: The walkout songs of UFC on ESPN 38 with Led Zeppelin, Tupac, Panic! At the Disco
  • MMAFighting.com : Mateusz Gamrot said Khabib Nurmagomedov expects him to fight Islam Makhachev for UFC title in future
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 57 post-fight show: Shavkat Rakhmonov has arrived, Mateusz Gamrot vs. Arman Tsarukyan delivers
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 38 video: Hear from each winner backstage
  • MMA Weekly : UFC Vegas 57 bonuses: Final four fights take home the awards
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 57 bonuses: Mateusz Gamrot and Arman Tsarukyan earn Fight of the Night, trio of performance bonuses awarded
  • MMAFighting.com : Mateusz Gamrot vs. Arman Tsarukyan official UFC Vegas 57 scorecard
  • MMAFighting.com : Mateusz Gamrot wants Justin Gaethje after hard-fought decision win over Arman Tsarukyan in UFC Vegas 57 main event
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 57 in Tweets: Pros react to Mateusz Gamrot’s thrilling victory over Arman Tsarukyan
  • MMAFighting.com : Mateusz Gamrot wants Justin Gaethje next after winning hard-fought decision over Arman Tsarukyan in UFC Vegas 57 main event
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 38 results: Mateusz Gamrot emerges victorious in high-paced battle against Arman Tsarukyan
  • MMA Weekly : Miesha Tate vs. Lauren Murphy canceled for UFC 276
  • MMA Junkie : Twitter reacts to Mateusz Gamrot's narrow win over Arman Tsarukyan at UFC on ESPN 38
  • MMAFighting.com : Mateusz Gamrot vs. Arman Tsarukyan full fight video highlights
  • MMA Weekly : UFC Vegas 57: Mateusz Gamrot tops Arman Tsarukyan on scorecards in close fight