Tapology Forums

FIGHT REVIEW: UFC FIGHT NIGHT: Vettori vs Costa

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

TpMlG15
TpMlG15
  • Predictions:  181  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 200

10.25.2021 | 2:28 PM ET

Vettori defeats Costa after 5 round war

This past weekend was the culmination of a very unique fight, courtesy of Marvin Vettori and (primarily) Paulo Costa. Everyone in the MMA community knows what took place and how the fight wound up becoming a LHW bout. What we've been waiting for is the fight itself and it surely lived up to the hype.

Vettori did what he does best: applied constant pressure, had Costa backing up majority of the time, and demonstrated well-rounded boxing. What was not too surprising to see be absent was grappling. We did see some in the 5th when Vettori was in trouble, but aside from that, this fight was a glorified kickboxing match. Costa was around 220 in the octagon, and Vettori even said he didn't realize how big Costa was until one of his initial clinches. Not that I think it would have made a critical difference, but I think this demonstrates Vettori's confidence in his continually refined fundamentals in the standup. Marvin's probably gonna be on the shelf a bit because the top of MW is pretty busy, but he is in the conversation with whoever loses between Brunson-Cannonier.

Costa was an absolute unit. It baffles me he has had a whole career at 185, but that's besides the point. I think with a different approach, Costa could have ripped through Vettori's body. The 5th round showed just how much power and energy Costa retained throughout, even when he looked gassed after 2-3 rounds. As much as he rubbed folks the wrong way, he showed he's capable of doing a lot of damage and has a leg up on a fair amount of MW and LHW fighters. I think he should be moving up for sure. A good fight there would be 6 (Reyes), 7 (Ankalaev), or 8 (Oezdemir). That would put a fair pin in where he stands in that division and theoretically, if he won two LHW fights, he could fight for the title. I hope he does that so we can see that division get a little more star power.

This fight is not fight of the year, but it may be one of the better Fight Nights we have had. There are a couple bangers left down the stretch and they probably will prove to be just that (Holloway/Yair!!!) but this last one was a personal favorite of the year.

* Edited at 10.25.2021, 2:31 PM ET *

"I am a GOAT, I am a MAN"

Responses

Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,263  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,261
  • Post Score: 136

10.25.2021 | 3:22 PM ET

Good fight good review costa is better than I thought but marv is much better and tougher.
He is too measured he needs to train with gane or another master class striker.

"“I took no damage,” Hill said. “Most of the fall was me falling down"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Haney Requests Garcia Rematch Because ‘Weight Played A Role’ In Defeat
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill Brutally Honest On UFC 300 Regrets, Who Should Be Next For Alex Pereira
  • MMA Mania : Return Of The Bare Knuckle King
  • MMA Mania : PFL MENA Inaugural Event Set For May 10 In Riyadh
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive – Jamahal Hill Talks ‘Crazy’ BMF Title Clash at UFC 300, Comments on Ryan Garcia’s Epic Troll Job
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping warns Michael Chandler not to underestimate Conor McGregor: 'Can't be drunk on your own ego'
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Prograis says karma caught up to Haney in Garcia fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Regis Prograis says karma caught up to Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘Stop Running!’ Vieira Claims Harrison Declined UFC 303 Fight Offer
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill On Fighting Khalil Rountree So Soon At UFC 303, Rejecting A Main Event
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva explains how fast UFC rise was actually deceivingly long
  • MMA Junkie : Marlon Vera calls out Petr Yan for November showdown after he previously 'declined,' Yan fires back
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Strongman Hall Breaks Pereira Punch Record ... Kind Of
  • MMAFighting.com : Coach Rafael Cordeiro: Beneil Dariush took time off after repeated head trauma in 2023
  • UFC.com : It’s Not Just Winning For Victor Henry, It’s How He Wins
  • MMA Junkie : Title or not, Jamahal Hill says Alex Pereira rematch has to happen
  • MMA Mania : Video: Hill Praises Pereira’s ‘Gritty’ UFC 300 Ref Block
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Mike Perry, Thiago Alves engage in tense faceoff ahead of BKFC KnuckleMania IV showdown
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference faceoffs featuring UFC vets Mike Perry, Thiago Alves
  • MMA Junkie : Uros Medic: 'Somebody is going to get oiled up' if I get snubbed of bonus at UFC on ESPN 55