Tapology Forums

Technical skills and MMA background

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

sotherino
sotherino
  • Predictions:  2,170  |  57.3%
  • Forum Posts:  8
  • Post Score: 188

06.14.2020 | 7:15 AM ET

I have a question for you guys.

My question is: How a today fighter would be so good when they have so limiteded skills in other disciplines?

For exemple, Stipe Miocic is a purple belt in BJJ, NCAA Div.1 wrestler (but not all american champ or something like that) and golden golves in boxing. Anyone would have that achievements after some years of training. Stipe can't compete with a national amateur champion in boxing (in a boxing match) or wrestling (in a wrestling match) or with a black belt BJJ competitor.

However, he is the UFC heavyweight champion and knocked out world class kickboxers like former K1 champion, Alistair Overeem. Knockout, not submission.

You can't say "ok, he is a complete fighter and when opponent is a striker, he use his grappling" because Reem is a striker, Hunt is a striker, world class strikers with achievements at highest level in kickboxing and Stipe knocked them out, not submit them.

Justin Gaethje, a WRESTLER that not use his wrestling anytime was able to knocked out Edson Barboza, a world class striker with black belt in muay thai, TKD, very technical striker.

How a simple black belt BJJ competitor would be better in MMA than Royce or Rickson Gracie? Best BJJ competitors that ever was.

And if you say "ok, but they know just grappling", then how a master like Lee Hasdell with technical skills better than anyone in present MMA, with 7th Dan black belt in Karate & Kickboxing, 2nd Dan black belt in Kudo and black belt in Ju-Jitsu and Submission Arts wrestling, how a fighter like him, master in grappling, striking etc. would be under a fighter like, idk, Dominick Reyes.. a blue belt in BJJ with a MMA level good skills of striking.

I can't explain these thing.

Also, how you define technical skills in MMA? A good fighter with no background would be more technical than a black belt master in multiple disciplines? how??

"Outwork everyone."

Responses

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,561
  • Post Score: 275

06.14.2020 | 11:35 AM ET

Edson Barboza has to change his style, his stance, and his strategy when fighting someone who knows how to wrestle. If he tries to fight like it was a Muay Thai match, Gaethje would be able to immediately shoot for a takedown. This possibility makes the entire fight different.

"I live, I die, I live again."

pie2munch
pie2munch
  • Predictions:  16,769  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,619
  • Post Score: 279

06.14.2020 | 12:22 PM ET

I think it could be equated to good fight IQ, game planning, athleticism and reaction timing.

If you have lets say average skills in all areas, yet you have excellent fight IQ, game planning, athleticism and reaction timing then your average skills are enhanced.

GSP had a very good Karate background (2nd degree black belt), later on blackbelt in BJJ.
Later in his added wrestling, which he had no background in and boxing(Jab, Jab, Jab)

But what made him such an elite fighter was Fight IQ, timing, and game planning. Speed and athleticism lent to those skills.

I don't know if this helps with the explanation, but its the only thing that comes to mind
Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,263  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,261
  • Post Score: 136

06.15.2020 | 2:54 AM ET

Resume only tells past all those fighrers grew into world beater.
But yeah skills physical gifts and high fight iq got them there.

"“I took no damage,” Hill said. “Most of the fall was me falling down"

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

06.15.2020 | 2:58 AM ET

@Greg I disagree with that assessment.  Barboza is what he is, and he does what he does extremely well. It doesn't pay off every time, but that's fighting.

If he changed his style he'd lose more than he does currently. Also he can't really change his stance other than from switching between orthodox and goofy. Muay Thai is Muay Thai. It's not diverse like Karate, which incidentally I believe is about 85% ******** and probably the worst base for MMA in existence.

GSP didn't win off the back of Karate. He won on the back of wrestling and utilizing a jab, which amazingly is still seen at low rates in MMA.

Machida is pretty much the only guy who made Karate work, and I very much he could do so now competing against the current generation of top MMA fighters.

* Edited at 06.15.2020, 3:20 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 3 days, and 22 seconds from now.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill Brutally Honest On UFC 300 Regrets, Who Should Be Next For Alex Pereira
  • MMA Mania : PFL MENA Inaugural Event Set For May 10 In Riyadh
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive – Jamahal Hill Talks ‘Crazy’ BMF Title Clash at UFC 300, Comments on Ryan Garcia’s Epic Troll Job
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping warns Michael Chandler not to underestimate Conor McGregor: 'Can't be drunk on your own ego'
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Prograis says karma caught up to Haney in Garcia fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Regis Prograis says karma caught up to Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘Stop Running!’ Vieira Claims Harrison Declined UFC 303 Fight Offer
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill On Fighting Khalil Rountree So Soon At UFC 303, Rejecting A Main Event
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva explains how fast UFC rise was actually deceivingly long
  • MMA Junkie : Marlon Vera calls out Petr Yan for November showdown after he previously 'declined,' Yan fires back
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Strongman Hall Breaks Pereira Punch Record ... Kind Of
  • MMAFighting.com : Coach Rafael Cordeiro: Beneil Dariush took time off after repeated head trauma in 2023
  • UFC.com : It’s Not Just Winning For Victor Henry, It’s How He Wins
  • MMA Junkie : Title or not, Jamahal Hill says Alex Pereira rematch has to happen
  • MMA Mania : Video: Hill Praises Pereira’s ‘Gritty’ UFC 300 Ref Block
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Mike Perry, Thiago Alves engage in tense faceoff ahead of BKFC KnuckleMania IV showdown
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference faceoffs featuring UFC vets Mike Perry, Thiago Alves
  • MMA Junkie : Uros Medic: 'Somebody is going to get oiled up' if I get snubbed of bonus at UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Louisville announced with 13 fights already booked for the card
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo hopes Conor McGregor 'of old' shows up vs. Michael Chandler at UFC 303