Tapology Forums

Mir pulled from rumored Schaub fight... what does it mean?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,575
  • Post Score: 275

12.27.2010 | 9:35 AM ET

http://mmaweekly.com/brendan-schaub-vs-stefan-struve-agreed-for-early-2011

Mir had been rumored to be fighting Schaub, as it looked like Mir vs Lesnar as TUF coaches was not going to happen.

What does the above news mean?

- Could Mir & Lesnar be the coaches after all?
- Will Dana and the UFC allow Lesnar to participate in Wrestlemania, which Lesnar supposedly wants to do?

All speculation at the moment, but it's possible that some interesting news is developing.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Responses

Goose
Goose
  • Predictions:  54  |  53.7%
  • Forum Posts:  51
  • Post Score: 41

12.27.2010 | 10:19 AM ET

Well now it looks like a fight with Struve is signed so not quite teh shot at teh next level Schaub was after but at least he's still getting exposure.

It's starting to look more likely that a Lesnar v Mir trilogy will be on the cards, especially as Brock has had a few weaknesses exposed. I can see a real good guy bad guy thing going on if they are coaches though, could be very interesting!

"Be Good, Get Good or Get the Hell Out. "

USMC
USMC
  • Predictions:  804  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  170
  • Post Score: 58

12.27.2010 | 11:11 AM ET

Does the UFC take Lesnar back if decides to do WWF again?

I know I heard Overeem say he'd like to fight Lesnar (this was before the Velasquez loss); he doesn't think Lesner is a good technical fighter, but he likes that he's aggressiveness.  If he's serious about MMA he should probably wait till he retires to go back to pro wrestling.  I don't know much longer the name will carry the cachet that it does now.

BTW, where is Kimbo these days?  He is with a promotion anywhere?
Gregory
Gregory

12.27.2010 | 11:27 AM ET

According to Dana, Lesnar's contract with the UFC states that he cannot do any pro wrestling.  So in order for Lesnar to take a wrestling match at Wrestlemania he would need the UFC's permission.  The UFC would have no reason to give him permission, unless Lesnar in turn agreed to be a coach on TUF.

Last Kimbo rumor I heard was that he was interested in doing boxing, being promoted by Gary Shaw (from EliteXC). But I don't know if he has taken any fights. He clearly doesn't have the boxing background to be even as competitive as he was in MMA. 

Goose
Goose

12.27.2010 | 12:03 PM ET

The only thing with the UFC temp releasing Lesnar to do Wrestlermania is that there'sa hugh potential for injury. Unless Vinnie Mac is happy to just let Lesnar come in and do a quick destruction of someone I can see Lesnar coming back with some sort of injury to put him out of the game again.

I'd imagine there would have to be some clause that if he is injured the WWE pays the UFC an undisclosed amount due to the huge amount of revenue the UFC would lose over it.

Dana has surely got to be putting in a truck load of stipulations if this was to ever happen about what Brock can and can't do (no backflips off the top rope). Although Lesnar really needs to consider how seriously hewants to be taken as he's only just started to be seen as a true MMA fighter. Career wise I don't think its a good move, the hardcore fans on either side are going to dimiss him as a one trick cash cow.

Master Blaster
Master Blaster
  • Predictions:  356  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  241
  • Post Score: 30

12.27.2010 | 1:22 PM ET

this is the thread over at sherdog that started some hubbub today

According to Dave Meltzer of Yahoo! Sports/Wrestling Observer, Brock is currently looking for an "exit strategy" from the UFC.

Meltzer said on his radio show that the fight with Velasquez has changed Brock's attitude on fighting and he is at the stage in his life where he doesn't want to get injured. He's very well off financially and the business man in him apparently knows that it may be time to move on.

Meltzer also mentioned that Brock hasn't trained a single day since the Velasquez fight nor he has returned any phone calls to Dana or Zuffa about upcoming matches.

Dave pointed out if Brock was motivated, he would be right back in the gym training and bringing in new coaches with the goal of beating Cain yet he isn't doing that. He's hunting and hasn't even thought about his next fight. Lesnar apparently wants to do WrestleMania "badly" and will earn an estimated 2 million dollars for 30 minutes of work.

Everything is pointing towards Brock having one more fight and ending his contract. His head doesn't seem to be in the fighting game and it looks like it was just yet another successful business move.

"Break a deal, spin the wheel"

Goose
Goose

12.28.2010 | 10:13 PM ET

I read this somewhere yesterday and was amazed athow the guy seem's to move from one sport to another as soon as he realises he will need to put in a bit more effort to get to the next level. The UFC put alot of money into him (they also made alot of money I know) but they had long term plans to build him up as a fighter.

Now it's starting to look like because he's not steam rolled his last couple of opponents and been on his back getting punched in the face, he's thrown his toys out of the pram.

There are fighters in this business that have dedicated their lives to getting to where they are now, Lesnar seem's to have forgotten that he's fortunate to be where he is. He's tried WWE, NFL, MMA, what's next? If they all got a bit much for him maybe he should try golf (although if he doesn't win a major at his first attempt we can add that to the list as well)

Gregory
Gregory

12.29.2010 | 6:00 AM ET

Yeah man it's frustrating, since every Brock Lesnar fight was so intense and worth the money.  But apparently Dave Meltzer is now saying that his comments were taken out of context and people are over-reacting. Who knows.

fedorable
fedorable
  • Predictions:  113  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  19
  • Post Score: 32

12.29.2010 | 7:02 AM ET

I hope the UFC doesn't allow Brock to do Wrestlemania.  I have a feeling that one fight will lead to another one here and there, and before we know it Brock will be back at WWE full time, and the UFC will be out a major star and a Legit HW.

Hopefully the fact that Schuab got pulled from the Mir fight indicates that those two guys (Mir/Lesnar) are in the middle of some type of contract negotiation for a fight.

billy
billy
  • Predictions:  391  |  57.3%
  • Forum Posts:  145
  • Post Score: 16

12.29.2010 | 7:05 AM ET

I don't think Brock really wants to wrestle either tho. He just wants to make his big wrestlemania payday, but not actually get back into the whole WWE lifestyle i don't think. 

"proving to daddy that i'm no fool"

fedorable
fedorable
  • Predictions:  113  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  19
  • Post Score: 32

12.29.2010 | 7:09 AM ET

Right, but if he can convince Vince to let him fight once a month, or a couple times a month, and he's gonna get millions?  I can see him doing that.  I don't follow WWE so I don't know if they are in desperate need for a guy like Brock, or if they would be willing to do something like that, but if the money is right, and he's not traveling everyday..why not?
Gregory
Gregory

12.29.2010 | 7:20 AM ET

Interesting situation for the UFC. Since Brock is under contract, they can prevent him from doing any wrestling at all... assuming what we've heard about the contract situation is accurate.   So we'll have to see how aggressive and tough they get with Brock.  When Randy wanted to leave to fight Fedor, they definitely played hardball.

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

12.29.2010 | 7:56 AM ET

Meltzer was taken out of context Brock is not looking for a way out of the UFC. Meltzer has since stated he fully expects Brock to fight one or 2 times next year. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

12.29.2010 | 8:03 AM ET

While I respect Dave Meltzer's skill as an MMA journalist and news-breaker, there really seemed to be nothing factual underlying this Brock article of his.  I don't think we can draw the conclusion that Brock wants out of the UFC simply because he's been hunting and relaxing for a couple of months. I think what he wants is a win, something to get him back on track so he'll have some time to build up his standup skill and get back into the title picture.  That's just as much speculation as Meltzer but my two cents.

As for Wrestlemania, maybe he does want to do it, and he should want to; who wouldn't grab a quick payday of a couple million?  But that doesn't make him a full time wrestler, barnstorming all over the country and doing 2-3 shows a week.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

12.29.2010 | 8:04 AM ET

ah, so that's interesting to hear -- we were posting at the same time.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

12.29.2010 | 8:31 AM ET

What Meltzer was actually referring too was Brock's current attitude towards training. Not Brocks desire to leave the UFC. He implied if Brock was driven to be champion again he would be calling people from Holland to Minnesota to clean up his striking, not out hunting. That Brock won't close the holes in his game over an 8 week training camp in preparation for a fight. He basically needs to spend this time learning new techniques not relaxing. That he needs to show a desire to get back in the cage and fight. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Watch Brawl Break Out At Nate Diaz vs Jorge Masvidal Press Conference
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: American Top Team Rallies For Poirier, Slam ‘Clown’ Tsarukyan
  • MMA Mania : Bad Matchmaking? Surging Cannonier Forced Backwards For Khamzat Title Bid
  • MMA Mania : Volkanovski: ‘My Next Fight At Featherweight Will Be For The Title’
  • MMA Junkie : Alexa Grasso, Valentina Shevchenko look forward to new blood after UFC 306 trilogy is complete
  • MMA Junkie : Vicente Luque: Leon Edwards has 'great wrestling cardio,' more versatile striking than Belal Muhammad
  • MMA Junkie : UFC veterans in MMA and boxing action June 7-9
  • MMA Mania : ‘Badass’ Diaz ‘Was Looking F—king Good’ Against Lawler
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 57's Dominick Reyes: 'I have the pedigree to get me back to the top'
  • MMA Mania : McGregor ‘More Interesting’ Than Tsarukyan For Makhachev
  • MMAFighting.com : Nate Diaz reacts to press conference brawl, nearly gets into another melee with Jorge Masvidal’s team
  • MMA Junkie : Raw video: Khabib predicts title, urges Johnson to quit mid-fight and more UFC legendary moments without commentary
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Claims Khabib Would Be UFC Champ ‘Right Now’, How He Compares To Islam Makhachev
  • MMAFighting.com : Kade Ruotolo bringing different level of grappling to MMA: ‘I’m not sure if the MMA world is ready for it’
  • Bad Left Hook : WBC orders Vargas vs Figueroa title consolidation
  • MMA Mania : Brawl! Team Masvidal And Team Diaz Come To Blows
  • MMAFighting.com : Nate Diaz, Jorge Masvidal press conference erupts into wild brawl
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Jorge Masvidal in middle of wild brawl after Nate Diaz refused another press conference faceoff
  • MMA Junkie : Arman Tsarukyan: Version of Islam Makhachev at UFC 302 'would be very easy fight for me'
  • MMA Junkie : T.J. Dillashaw thinks Cory Sandhagen will be UFC champ if he tops Umar Nurmagomedov