Tapology Forums

Who is next for Anderson Silva?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

pairofsixteenz
pairofsixteenz
  • Predictions:  1,123  |  58.8%
  • Forum Posts:  48
  • Post Score: 100

11.06.2011 | 8:23 PM ET

You have some fairly decent talent coming up in the ranks.  Who would be next to fight anderson silva?

Don't for get to LIKE US on facebook: PAIROFSIXTEENZ

"LIKE US on facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pair-Of-Sixteenz/233492496679986"

Responses Page 2

cuddlyfighter
cuddlyfighter
  • Predictions:  329  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 200

11.06.2011 | 9:04 PM ET

I think that after Sonnen, Anderson should move up to face Bones after the Machida fight.  No one else at middleweight makes sense.  I'm rooting for Mayhem, but I feel he needs a few more fights in the UFC before he even thinks about taking on Anderson.  

"All I guarantee is Violence" Wanderlei

pairofsixteenz
pairofsixteenz
  • Predictions:  1,123  |  58.8%
  • Forum Posts:  48
  • Post Score: 100

11.06.2011 | 9:07 PM ET

i dont think anderson would move up in weight....

"LIKE US on facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pair-Of-Sixteenz/233492496679986"

GASTRONAUT
GASTRONAUT
  • Predictions:  5,582  |  60.5%
  • Forum Posts:  946
  • Post Score: 191

11.06.2011 | 9:12 PM ET

I think Mayhem will get at least 3 fights before they even think about giving him to Anderson, however I think he will get top contenders and beat them, thereby throwing a wrench in plans.
haven
haven
  • Predictions:  94,655  |  52.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,030
  • Post Score: 188

11.06.2011 | 9:26 PM ET

bet that ussr as fighter

"i like mma and the tapology"

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

11.06.2011 | 9:37 PM ET

I'm starting to think Anderson might accept a challenge from Munoz since Munoz was training with Black House.  I could see Anderson feeling disrespected by something like that, but who knows.

I think Sonnen's the best choice though.  As a huge Anderson Silva fan I just want him to put this rivalry to rest with a much more definitive win.  Fact is Anderson was hurt going into that fight and Sonnen was juiced.  I think Silva needs to take this fight to get that "blemish" off his record..

I don't think Bisping or Mayhem pose any threats at all.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

haven
haven
  • Predictions:  94,655  |  52.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,030
  • Post Score: 188

11.06.2011 | 9:38 PM ET

what about cuba they have mma fighter

"i like mma and the tapology"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,337  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

11.06.2011 | 10:51 PM ET

Bisping or Mayhem would be sparring partners for Silva. He would tear through both those guys. Belfort/Johnson winner could be interesting. On one hand you have Belfort who could put up an awesome fight against Anderson, the first fight did not go his way but that kick would have knocked out anybody! I think if Belfort gets another shot the outcome would be very different. But if Johnson beats Belfort and ends up getting a shot at Anderson then I feel sorry for Rumble. I dont see Rumble posing a threat at all. Sonnen, I dont care what people think does NOT desrve a title ****. He loses to Anderson gets suspended, comes back wins a fight against Stann where he did nothing up until that submission and he deserves a title shot? No. Munoz vs Silva would be a simple fight to call, it would be much like Silva/Sonnen except there will be no dominance for Munoz at all he would probably get subbed early. The fight I want to see is Belfort vs Silva II. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

11.06.2011 | 11:19 PM ET

For Anderson Silva, there is only a few fighters left that make sense. #1 of course is Chael Sonnen, then there's Michael Bisping, Mayhem, and Cung Le (provided he gets past Wandy). There's other contenders, but they have either been disposed of by Anderson himself (in convincing fashion) or they have been disposed of by the other afformentioned top contenders, such as Vitor Belfort, Brian Stann, Demian Maia, and Chris Leben. Then there's fighters from other orgs that could pose a threat to Anderson like Hector Lombard and Gegard Mousasi (if he was willing to go back to 185). Jake Shields might be a good fighter to throw in the mix (if he's willing to step up to 185 again), but for now, I'll stick with the top 4 I mentioned and throw Mark Munoz in the mix.

If I were Dana White and Joe Silva with those fighters as options, then I would do it up like this.

1. The winner of Bisping/Mayhem gets next crack at Anderson Silva. I mean hell, why not? MMA fans, analysts, and many others have been making a big deal about this season of TUF, because of the animosity between Bisping and Mayhem. The winner of this fight would almost have to get a shot, because you can't buy this kind of marketing. Though IMHO, neither fighter deserves a shot at the title, marketing is everything to Dana White, and once the winner of this fight is established, then you already have your next MW title fight bought and paid for.

2. On the same card the winner of Bisping/Mayhem vs. Anderson Silva, you put Chael Sonnen vs. Mark Munoz. Main reason, if Chael Sonnen wins, then you have one helluva grudge match to have for a rematch when it comes to Anderson/Sonnen II. Again, you can't buy this kind of marketing.

3. If Cung Le gets past Wandy, then have him fight Vitor Belfort (because that fight was supposed to happen in the first place), then if Cung Le beats Wandy and Vitor, then you have a viable contender for another shot at the MW title.

Just with these 3 options alone, the MW division is set for the next year, at least, with these scenarios, but that's just my opinion, and that's what I would really like to see.

In all honesty, Chael Sonnen should fight Anderson Silva next. He's the only one that really makes sense at this point.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

11.07.2011 | 12:01 AM ET

of course andy will want munoz. much easier win than sonnen.
SonnensSyringe
SonnensSyringe
  • Predictions:  79,138  |  62.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,881
  • Post Score: 337

11.07.2011 | 12:07 AM ET

Sonnen is the only reasonable candidate. Munoz needs to fight a top 5 fighter and then I'll be convinced he's ready for a shot at the belt. I love Leben, but he hasn't been considered a top 5 guy for a while now

"You look like a 1987 John Hughes high school bully." - Swickotine

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

11.07.2011 | 12:10 AM ET

@Soonens Syringe. that post made soo much sense that anderson heads is doing what your avatar is doing. he is blown away that the fans want him to fight sonnen first and then munoz if he beats top five guy.
p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

11.07.2011 | 12:41 AM ET

The winner of Mayhem/Bisping fighting Silva is a joke. When Dana said at the UFC 138 post fight press conference that Bisping was in the mix I laughed out loud. I have no idea how Dana kept a straight face when he said that. Bisping is a fringe top 10 mw and mw is the weakest division in the UFC imo. The only guys that should be considered are Chael Sonnen, Dan Hendorsen, Mark Munoz and Vitor Belfort. In that order. Bisping has done nothing to prove he's worthy of a title shot. Even beating Mayhem wouldn't catapult him past those guys I mentioned.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

thefreeman
thefreeman
  • Predictions:  9,496  |  60.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,751
  • Post Score: 198

11.07.2011 | 12:52 AM ET

I really want to see Palhares get some top level competition... Chael would be awesome but that wont happen
GASTRONAUT
GASTRONAUT
  • Predictions:  5,582  |  60.5%
  • Forum Posts:  946
  • Post Score: 191

11.07.2011 | 12:53 AM ET

@mikelovestacos, I don't understand why you want to watch Belfort get destroyed again.  Silva has his number and he is nowhere near near the fighter he once was and a win over Akiyama does not make me think otherwise.
MajorRyan
MajorRyan
  • Predictions:  1,880  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  80
  • Post Score: 150

11.07.2011 | 1:26 AM ET

Please Don't Thumbs Down Me For This

Ok, this might not be rationale, but at the same time maybe it is and the anti-Sonnen appeal is based on hatred for his character rather than his skill set, but Chael is the ONLY contender to test Silva and that's why he deserves a rematch. I know there's room for discussion, but that's why its going to happen and why it should happen. Let's just take a minute and think.. Damien Maia vs. Silva (pathetic), Belfort vs. Silva (Epic KO, but ridiculous mismatch), Okami vs Silva (Definition of Beat Down). Simply put, there is such a huge gap in the middleweight division, and isn't the point of title fights to give the champion the greatest test the contender pool has to offer? After all, if the champion is facing less that the best, what kind of champion are they anyway? (Not insulting Silva in anyway, just defining a true champion). Nothing would prove Silva's dominance more than a decisive victory over the only man that has tested him since anyone can remember.
Sonnen for Prez
Sonnen for Prez
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  36
  • Post Score: -347

11.07.2011 | 9:36 AM ET

Sonnen...period.

"Silva Sucks"

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC Fight Night Tapology coverage is now live
  • In between bouts, waiting for next fight to begin.
  • Join the UFC Fight Night live discussion
  • UFC Fight Night features 13 MMA bouts
  • The event takes place from UFC Apex in Las Vegas, Nevada