Topic: Alberto Rodriguez

Pro Wrestler Alberto "Dos Caras Jr/Alberto Del Rio" Rodriguez is Returning to MMA in 2019

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

10.02.2018 | 1:52 PM ET

Source

Whether fans want to believe it or not, there’s a link between the worlds of professional wrestling and mixed martial arts. Combate Americas spokesperson, Alberto Del Rio has experienced success in both worlds long before Ronda Rousey and Brock Lesnar became the central stars that they are today. On this week’s edition of The MMA Hour with Luke Thomas, the former WWE champion informed the fight community that he’s going to step back into the cage at some point in 2019.

“I’m going to jump into the cage for the first time,” Del Rio said. “In 2019 I’m going to fight in the cage for Combate Americas.”

For those that are professional wrestling fans, they may be unaware that this isn’t Del Rio’s first exposure to the MMA industry. In fact, he has a 9-5 professional record that includes nearly a decade of action; competing for organizations such as Deep and Pride. In fact, many may remember his infamous knockout at the hands of Mirko “Cro Cop” at Pride Bushido 1 where he stepped into the ring wearing a mask and under the persona of Dos Caras Jr. His last fight occurred back in February of 2010 where he was defeated by Yamamoto Hanshi by TKO; snapping his six-fight win streak. In 2017 he joined Combate Americas as the organization’s president but has since stepped aside for a more spokesmen-like role.

“I really love this company,” Del Rio said. “It’s not just about giving something back to the Latinos and the company; it’s about giving something back to myself.”

Del Rio is a controversial figure across professional wrestling; both for his conduct in the industry and his public former relationship with another professional wrestler named Paige. He last appeared as a part of the Impact roster in April of this year but was released after no-showing a Lucha Underground vs. Impact Wrestling event. Del Rio opened up about the lost love that he experienced for professional wrestling.

“I fell in love with it [wrestling] for the sense of respect and loyalty,” Del Rio said. “But it has changed in a way that I’m not enjoying it anymore. Watching these amazing fighters going toe to toe made me feel hungry about fighting again. Like Sylvester Stallone said in the last “Rocky” movie, ‘I have a beast in the basement.’”

No official event or opponent has been named for Del Rio’s return to competition, but he hinted at the idea of facing someone in a superfight.

“I’m going to be facing a former champion; well known in Mexico and the United States,” Del Rio said. “If we get him, it’s going to be a super fight – a fight that all the Latino fans will love. It’s a big name for all of the Latinos and for the American fans.”

Del Rio performed for the WWE for two stints, most recently of which ended in 2016. During that time he held multiple titles for the organization including the WWE Championship, Heavyweight Championship and Tag Team titles.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know how to feel about this.

Thoughts?

"..."

Alberto "Dos Caras Jr." Rodriguez

Fighter Details

• Given Name: José Alberto Rodríguez
  • Pro MMA Record: 9-6-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Dos Caras Jr.
  • Current Streak: 2 Losses
  • Last Fight: December 07, 2019 in CAMMA
  • Weight Class: Light Heavyweight | Last Weigh-In: 209.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: N/A
  • Height: 6'5" (196cm) | Reach: N/A
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $0 USD
  • Born: Mexico
  • Fighting out of: Mexico
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

10.02.2018 | 2:12 PM ET

This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 11 hours, and 40 minutes from now.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

10.02.2018 | 8:11 PM ET

lol
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 2 days, 22 hours, and 25 minutes from now.
GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

10.02.2018 | 8:13 PM ET

I sort of get why Rodriguez is getting back into the MMA game since it is pretty much unlikely he will get a steady job in a big Pro Wrestling promotion again after the incidents with his ex girlfriend have had a negative impact on his name and he has the legit ability to fight MMA.  That said, he is in early 40s and has been out of the game since 2010. It's not like he has been staying somewhat active in the fight game like Cro Cop, Fedor, and etc.  I just don't know what to make of this.

* Edited at 10.02.2018, 8:48 PM ET *

"..."

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,980  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

10.02.2018 | 8:53 PM ET

He's a tool, hope he gets brutally KOed Cro Cop style again.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

10.03.2018 | 10:12 PM ET

Idiot wore a mask against cro cop head kicker for **** sakes.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Haney Requests Garcia Rematch Because ‘Weight Played A Role’ In Defeat
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill Brutally Honest On UFC 300 Regrets, Who Should Be Next For Alex Pereira
  • MMA Mania : Return Of The Bare Knuckle King
  • MMA Mania : PFL MENA Inaugural Event Set For May 10 In Riyadh
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive – Jamahal Hill Talks ‘Crazy’ BMF Title Clash at UFC 300, Comments on Ryan Garcia’s Epic Troll Job
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping warns Michael Chandler not to underestimate Conor McGregor: 'Can't be drunk on your own ego'
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Prograis says karma caught up to Haney in Garcia fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Regis Prograis says karma caught up to Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘Stop Running!’ Vieira Claims Harrison Declined UFC 303 Fight Offer
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill On Fighting Khalil Rountree So Soon At UFC 303, Rejecting A Main Event
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva explains how fast UFC rise was actually deceivingly long
  • MMA Junkie : Marlon Vera calls out Petr Yan for November showdown after he previously 'declined,' Yan fires back
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Strongman Hall Breaks Pereira Punch Record ... Kind Of
  • MMAFighting.com : Coach Rafael Cordeiro: Beneil Dariush took time off after repeated head trauma in 2023
  • UFC.com : It’s Not Just Winning For Victor Henry, It’s How He Wins
  • MMA Junkie : Title or not, Jamahal Hill says Alex Pereira rematch has to happen
  • MMA Mania : Video: Hill Praises Pereira’s ‘Gritty’ UFC 300 Ref Block
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Mike Perry, Thiago Alves engage in tense faceoff ahead of BKFC KnuckleMania IV showdown
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference faceoffs featuring UFC vets Mike Perry, Thiago Alves
  • MMA Junkie : Uros Medic: 'Somebody is going to get oiled up' if I get snubbed of bonus at UFC on ESPN 55