Topic: The Ultimate Fighter (TUF)

TUF 28 featuring Heavyweights & Womens Featherweights

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

04.25.2018 | 5:04 PM ET

Did we enter the twilight zone? No lightweights and welterweights??? Praise Jeezus. It's about time they focus on divisions other than lightweight and welterweight, after this season they should be building up flyweight and the original premiere division of light heavyweight back up.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC-Invites-Male-Heavyweights-Female-Featherweights-to-Try-Out-for-The-Ultimate-Fighter-28-135665
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 2 months, 4 weeks, 2 days, 17 hours, and 10 minutes from now.

Responses

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

04.25.2018 | 5:45 PM ET

Womens FW definitely needs major investment as its just a farce at the moment. The problem seems to be that there doesnt seem to be much talent out there.

Its all a step in the right direction for sure. LW is about where it should be, WW is totally oversaturated with talent, HW isn't too bad given we have young guns like Blaydes and Tuivasa coming up but there will definitely be some holes that will need to be filled as werdum, hunt,  JDS, Overeem and Lewis reach the end of their tenure due to age and injuries. A few more high class heavyweights wouldn't go astray.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 10 months, 4 weeks, 1 day, 18 hours, and 9 minutes from now.
Hyrm
Hyrm
  • Predictions:  6,141  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,260
  • Post Score: 189

04.25.2018 | 6:29 PM ET

IS this true? They finally understand witch weight class are in need of prospect?

I hope HW will not be full of MW and LH

"Never go down without a fight"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,503  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

04.26.2018 | 7:47 AM ET

They not have heavyweights since TUF 1O so it's about time.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

DrGlaze
DrGlaze
  • Predictions:  18,699  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  872
  • Post Score: 188

04.27.2018 | 1:19 PM ET

UFC awaited too long to do something like this when it comes to FW. Most of the girls that are worth anything are in Bellator.

"I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers. -Khalil Gibran "

jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

04.27.2018 | 1:22 PM ET

It won't do much for the women's featherweight division, the majority of the contestants will likely move down to 135.  

They better get some real heavyweights, too. A lot of the previous heavyweight TUF competitors were not heavyweights.  Some weren't even light heavyweights.

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

Hyrm
Hyrm

04.27.2018 | 3:43 PM ET

@rappinpapsoda there was HW in a TUF brasil. The winner of the HW was Antonio Carlos Junior a MW...

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,503  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

04.29.2018 | 3:22 PM ET

I meant the American ones. The non-American ones are not going yo be ones that makes stsrs unfortunately

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Hyrm
Hyrm

04.29.2018 | 8:49 PM ET

Whittaker come to the UFC from a non-american TUF series!

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

04.30.2018 | 7:12 PM ET

A TUF series that centers around divisions in dire need of talent?!?  Took em long enough.  That said, I fully expect the ratings to be absolute dog****.  TUF's time for relevance has come and gone a long time ago.  And while the show produces a few good fighters here and there, it really needs to stop sometime soon or be replaced with a better idea.

"..."

Hyrm
Hyrm

04.30.2018 | 9:15 PM ET

I dont think it need to stop! I dont watch the current one but I watched the female Flyweight TUF and the 125pds champion TUF. IF they maid a TUF with HW and WF I will watch it. Its just that we have enought of WW and LW prospect looking at minor show in regional association.

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

04.30.2018 | 11:30 PM ET

Personally I think the UFC should create a minor league out of one of the brands it has acquired over the years (preferably WEC).  I think it would be a great proving ground for many guys who are borderline UFC fighters, old vets looking for one more chance at the big show and prospects that need to gain seasoning before making the next step up.  Not only that, they could use it to occupy some of the events left on the Fox deal and help alleviate event fatigue that has come in recent times and make good use of Fight Pass for big cards that are too good for TV.  Plus, it allows them the opportunity to test new ideas with presentation and rules that could help better the product overall.  But what the hell do I know, I am just a layman MMA fan.

"..."

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

05.01.2018 | 1:56 AM ET

I enjoy the regional circuit and dont want ufc infiltrating that. 

I would like to see some cross promotion between the larger regional shows. 

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

05.01.2018 | 2:01 AM ET

@Lopati

I do too, but the UFC have already kind of done that by having a roster capable of filling two or three MMA promotions and they clearly aren't gonna downsize any time soon. So why not create two leagues, especially since that is what they were planning on doing after they bought PRIDE before the Yakuza pulled the rug out from under them.

"..."

jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

05.01.2018 | 2:05 AM ET

They don't need a minor league, TUF is their minor league, plus now they have Dana White's shows as well,  Regardless of whether you like the Ultimate Fighter or not, it works great for the UFC.  I wonder what the percentage of TUF alum is on the UFC roster is, because it's amazing how many fighters they sign through the show, how many fighters on the roster came from the show.

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

05.01.2018 | 2:40 AM ET

@jody

It's not based on whether I like it or not.  It's based on the ratings and the reality of the fact that Reality TV doesn't sell anymore like it did when it was 2005 and the UFC had a big time show in WWE Monday Night Raw to leech off of for new fans. Plus I am not talking about further expanding the roster to make another brand, I am saying take the sections of the current roster the UFC sees as being cut worthy and use them to make an in house feeder series like NASCAR.

"..."

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

05.01.2018 | 6:48 PM ET

The market would not expand with the successive addition of promotions. Market participation has a soft cap.There's nothing to be gained from subdividing a turd.

All that you're suggesting would achieve would be the creation of new enterprises which would require financial input (management, legals and promotion)  with little to no prospect of a return.

It's axiomatic. The UFC isn't going to cut anyone who draws, so any new divisions composed of fighters who do not draw will by definition not draw and would not be profitable.So basically you'd be spending money to lose money.

It is like saying "I have figured out what to do with this cake that isn't selling. We're going to cut it three times as much, and build and staff three times as many patisseries to sell it from."

* Edited at 05.01.2018, 7:07 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 10 months, 4 weeks, 1 day, 18 hours, and 9 minutes from now.
mikeyg
mikeyg

05.06.2018 | 3:22 AM ET

I definitely like and want the two league idea. I would look like the WEC model again with smaller fighters in one league plus the women. I think market-wise and margin-wise, this is a great idea since ladies and the smaller men don't bring in similar revenue or popularity compared to others.

It would look something like this...

WEC 2.0
Women's 115, 125, 135, 145 + Men's 125 and 135

UFC
FW and Up

* Edited at 05.06.2018, 3:26 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 2 months, 4 weeks, 2 days, 17 hours, and 10 minutes from now.
Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

05.06.2018 | 4:19 PM ET

Having a secondary league is like slapping an inferior product stamp right on the product even if it isn't. It's telling the general public these fighters aren't good enough to be in the UFC and that you shouldn't pay attention to them. Even if that is true it would be a stupid business move to openly admit that.

The only advantage of a secondary league is you can justify paying the fighters who compete there less. Instead of 12+12 minimum you could pay 1+1 to start and headliners at 10+10.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

mikeyg
mikeyg

05.07.2018 | 1:33 AM ET

@BigJ383, I agree with you from the perspective that it would be a demotion and it's probably too late for the 2 league idea. If the WEC had never closed I think that would've been the optimum solution than having the UFC saturated with all these divisions they can't really manage. 

When it comes to WMMA though, it's an inferior product. The ladies could have their own thing. I think they could get it on TV, maybe some PPV for big cards, bill it as the UFC for women. 

With the small men, it's debatable if that's inferior product quality, so to each their own.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Fight 2 Win 252 Full Results And Review
  • Bad Left Hook : Dmitry Bivol stays on June 1 card, will face Malik Zinad
  • Bad Left Hook : Inoue vs Nery: Live updates and results NOW!
  • Jits Magazine : 7 Inspiring John Danaher’s Quotes For BJJ And Life
  • Middle Easy : Oscar De La Hoya Backs Jaime Munguia After Defeat Against Canelo Alvarez
  • MMA Mania : Video: White, O’Malley Get Burnt During Roast Of Tom Brady
  • MMA Mania : ‘The Rock’ Shares Footage From MMA Training Camp
  • Bad Left Hook : Inoue vs Nery: Live updates and results, 4 am ET
  • MMAFighting.com : Drakkar Klose explains UFC 301 beef with Daniel Cormier, calls out Beneil Dariush, Jalin Turner
  • MMA Junkie : 5 biggest takeaways from UFC 301: Anthony Smith teaches another lesson in misplaced doubt
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Make After UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Mauricio Ruffy reacts to Conor McGregor comparisons after spectacular UFC 301 debut
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo discusses next career move after fighting out contract at UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Michel Pereira responds to UFC 301 criticism: ‘That’s the risk, but I’m the risk-taker’
  • MMA Junkie : Video: The Rock posts MMA training footage in preparation for role in 'The Smashing Machine'
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for free agent Jose Aldo after UFC 301 win?
  • MMA Mania : Pound For Pound #1 Vs. ‘The #1 Money Man’
  • MMAFighting.com : Shogun Rua announced for 2024 UFC Hall of Fame class
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The Rock begin MMA training for Mark Kerr biopic ‘The Smashing Machine’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 winner Mauricio Ruffy warns Islam Makhachev 'a new king is coming' after debut