Topic: International MMA

Indian MMA, economical problems and lack of resources

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Paarth Pande
Paarth Pande
  • Predictions:  303  |  56.8%
  • Forum Posts:  10
  • Post Score: 150

04.11.2018 | 12:00 PM ET

http://prommanow.com/2018/04/10/dy-patil-students-get-insight-into-mma-world/

The article above is written by me. It covers Indian MMA fighter Bharat Kandare.
In the article a particular section is:

• “When you talk about Indian MMA fighters, you talk about self-made personalities,” Somesh said. “In other countries, people have basic resources like having a proper training team and a stable income. In India that isn’t possible. Indian MMA fighters, like Bharat, have invested a lot in themselves to reach this point where they can compete against international fighters.” The problem didn’t end there. Adding on Frank said, “We can bring in the resources required to build an MMA fighter, but the problem is that we don’t have any sponsors. We don’t have the funds required to build the resources.”

Do you feel that the entire MMA scene, in general, lacks funds?
Apart from the UFC (and a few other fighters) no one really earns more money. Most sponsors back promoters instead of fighters and gyms which ultimately damages athletes, who build the sport. 
Thoughts on the situation? 

Responses

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,563
  • Post Score: 275

04.11.2018 | 12:11 PM ET

I don't know much about about MMA in India other than the event results we post in our database here. But it would probably help to have some fighters get some international success, and work to ensure that local media covered their success. If more sports fans in India started to learn a little bit about successful Indian fighters competing elsewhere, it could help generate interest for local promoters trying to organize an event.

But it's obviously difficult to create demand for a new sport, in a region where people don't know anything about it.

"I live, I die, I live again."

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

04.11.2018 | 12:53 PM ET

If the UFC decided to bring an event there it would probably go a long way to help grow the scene. 

Obviously, India is an enormous market. I'm sure they're interested in breaking into it, but they probably need 1 or 2 Indian fighters on the roster first. But without much of a MMA scene there, those fighters probably aren't coming soon. 

Maybe a TUF India to get the ball rolling?

While I don't think anything like that is in the UFC's plans yet, at some point I'm sure it will be. India is way too big a market for the UFC to ignore forever. 
GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

04.11.2018 | 4:52 PM ET

Like others in this thread have said, I'm afraid not many of us know the status of the Indian MMA scene outside of Super Fight League, the odd non SFL regional event, and Indian fighters that fight abroad in China and Southeast Asia.  That goes double for nearby Pakistan, Iran, and Afghanistan.

I think if Bharat Kandare and Arjan Bhullar can find success, the UFC will definitely look deeper into doing an event in India and help spur interest in the sport.

* Edited at 04.11.2018, 5:02 PM ET *

"..."

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

04.13.2018 | 8:11 AM ET

You would think that a country with so many poor people and a huge population would have at least a few good fighters. Same thing goes for Indonesia.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Paarth Pande
Paarth Pande

04.18.2018 | 9:52 AM ET

Exactly!!!!!
People here do not know anything about the sport. we have tried but have failed to generate any interest.
Question: When you look at a country like India and see its fighters what are your first thoughts on it? 
How interested are you in knowing the history of the sport? 
Paarth Pande
Paarth Pande

04.18.2018 | 9:54 AM ET

TBH it's not only about poor people. 
Indians in general don't understand the concept of MMA. Is Indonesia home to any big promotion? 
boredoms
boredoms
  • Predictions:  47,181  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,267
  • Post Score: 236

04.18.2018 | 12:39 PM ET

ONE FC has a card in Indonesia in May.

"I am trained in gorilla warfare" - Stay Ready

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Charly Arnolt details historic impromptu UFC cage announcer role: 'I was scared of messing up'
  • MMA Junkie : 'LokDog' Vinicius Oliveira gets Ricky Simon in first fight since UFC Knockout of the Year candidate
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner Don'Tale Mayes wants quick return on hometown Louisville card
  • MMA Mania : ‘My Style, It’s Worst Style For This Guy Dustin’
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves retires from combat sports after Mike Perry knockout loss at KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Ryan Garcia shows Colby Covington left hooks after Donald Trump meetup in Florida
  • MMAFighting.com : WATCH: Swedish fighter delivers incredible faceplant knockout in pro debut
  • MMA Junkie : GLORY Kickboxing vet Jhonata Diniz ready for 'big names' at heavyweight after UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Mania : Video: Garcia Striking Tips Open Colby’s Third Eye
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Perez on UFC main event knockout: ‘My friends always call me pillow hands, so now they can’t’
  • Middle Easy : Islam Makhachev Says Dustin Poirier Is A ‘Tough Fight’, Wants Arman Tsarukyan Next
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Alex Perez after UFC on ESPN 55 upset win?
  • MMAFighting.com : WATCH: UFC vet Hunter Azure flattens opponent with brutal one-punch knockout
  • Middle Easy : Video: Ryan Garcia Gives UFC Star Colby Covington Quick Striking Tutorial
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Perry thanks Conor McGregor for becoming BKFC owner: 'He's done remarkable things'
  • MMA Mania : ‘Thank You, Man’
  • MMAFighting.com : Michael Chandler reacts to Conor McGregor becoming part owner of BKFC
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 post-event facts: Ryan Spann's struggles continue
  • Middle Easy : Mike Perry Reacts To Conor McGregor’s BKFC Ownership: ‘Nobody Moved That Needle Like Him’
  • MMA Junkie : Uros Medic knows Ian Machado Garry won't fight him but in his 'humble opinion,' would knock him out