Tapology Forums

most likely superfight....

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

10.12.2011 | 12:12 AM ET

to me, i think we'll see aldo vs cruz before any other superfight....both divisions are very light on challengers, and gsp vs silva won't happen...ever....im convinced of that....if sonnen beats silva, i think silva might actually move up to fight jones, but i doubt that...jones might go up to fight heavyweight champ, but i dont think that'll happen for a few years...another strong possiblity is aldo vs edgar, but i dont think soares will let him move up....

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

Responses

putaforkinya
putaforkinya
  • Predictions:  10,025  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  736
  • Post Score: 236

10.12.2011 | 12:26 AM ET

i've heard that aldo has trouble making weight as it is but yet i don't see him moving up.  i'm predicting that when frankie gets beat by someone he'll move down in weight and eventually fight Aldo with the winner staying in the division.

" holy **** did you see that?, baddest ***********er ever, hooooly ****" -Dana White seconds after Silva KO'd Vitor

jersey0525
jersey0525

10.12.2011 | 12:31 AM ET

i thought about that, and that also makes a ton of sense

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

jersey0525
jersey0525

10.12.2011 | 12:33 AM ET

sherdog.com story

After Jose Aldo turned away former lightweight title contender in a hard-fought unanimous decision at UFC 136, MMA fans and pundits began wondering who might finally stop the featherweight dynamo, who improved to 20-1 with his 13th straight victory.

While Aldo’s next opponent will likely be unbeaten wrestler Chad Mendes, rumors of a move up the scale began circulating even before UFC 136, when the UFC shared a YouTube video chronicling Aldo’s tough cut to 145 pounds.

However, speaking with Sherdog.com on Tuesday, Aldo’s coach and Nova Uniao leader Andre Pederneiras dismissed any chance of a weight change for his star pupil.

“He’ll keep fighting in his weight class,” Pederneiras affirmed. “He might be invited to fight at lightweight, but he won’t abandon featherweight, because, I believe, there are a lot of challenges left for him there. He’s just arrived in the UFC and has only fought there twice. Also, I believe many 155-pound fighters will drop to 145 in order to get a title shot they couldn’t get [at lightweight]. So, he has a lot of fights to make before thinking about it.”

“Dede” also asserted that his 25-year-old charge doesn’t have any serious problems when it comes to cutting weight before fights.

“He didn’t have any trouble at UFC 129, just the normal stuff happened,” said Pederneiras. “He lost 22 pounds in Toronto and 19 pounds in Houston, but it’s exactly the same thing two days before the fight. People think it’s nonsense, but it’s something he’s done since his first MMA fight and it’s something that a fighter who wants to fight at the highest level needs to get used to.”

Aldo’s plan before UFC 136 was to leave Houston not only with his belt, but with a highlight-reel knockout, just like the ones he displayed under the WEC banner. Meanwhile, Florian’s game plan to close the distance with takedowns and clinching stymied Aldo, forcing the champion to strategize during the fight as never before, something which surprised his trainer.

“Aldo was prepared and ready to knock him out,” the Nova Uniao leader stated, “but Florian’s takedown strategy blocked Aldo, who only let his game flow enough to win. I didn’t even think Florian would try to take Aldo down, but he’s much more experienced than Aldo, who had only his second UFC fight. Seeing that after the first round, we decided to hold him a little.”

However, in the coach’s eyes, Florian wasn’t the most dangerous opponent Aldo has ever faced.

“I don’t consider it the most difficult fight ever, but definitely it was the fight in which Aldo needed to think most before getting exposed,” Pederneiras opined. “For me, Mark Hominick was the toughest fighter he’s ever faced, because he has knockout power, something Florian doesn’t. A tough fight nowadays, in my opinion, is a fight where a guy hits hard and the other shakes, or a fight with a lot of exchange. Florian landed some no-pressure punches and his productivity got lower each round.”

Outside of Florian’s own corner, nobody can better attest to how the two-time lightweight title challenger has fared at featherweight than Pederneiras, who was also in Diego Nunes’ corner for Florian’s featherweight debut at UFC 131.

“He’s a tough fighter for any division. He’s already proven that,” analyzed Pederneiras. “He’s fought great fights at every weight class he has been in, but now he needs to focus on the division he wants to stay in. He surprised me fighting at 145 pounds. I didn’t expect that he would fight so well. I sincerely thought he was going to have less resilience and recovery.”

Crumx7
Crumx7
  • Predictions:  1,598  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,110
  • Post Score: 181

10.12.2011 | 1:26 AM ET

GSP/Silva is the least likely to happen IMO.  Cain/Jones would be awesome, but also not very likely in the immediate future.  Jones/Silva and Edgar/Aldo I can see as most likely to happen in the future.  It all depends on the fate of where the title will land as we approach the new year.

"If you think about it, life is your one big chance" Follow @CRUMxMMA on Twitter

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,137  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

10.12.2011 | 1:32 AM ET

I'd say the most likely will probably be GSP/Silva if they both win their next fights, that's not the fight I want to see though. I'm sure alot of people want Jones/Silva.

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

lbj6
lbj6
  • Predictions:  3,615  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,025
  • Post Score: 210

10.12.2011 | 1:47 AM ET

right now, after 136, i'd say aldo vs edgar. as bad as i want gsp vs silva, i don't see it happening. 

"get outta my face man! i gotta go get drunk"-Rampage

P4P Champ
P4P Champ
  • Predictions:  13  |  84.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4
  • Post Score: 225

10.12.2011 | 1:53 AM ET

Edgar vs Aldo?

Anyone else find it ironic that Aldo, the 145 champ, could probably move to 155 comfortably while Edgar, the 155 champ, could probably move to 145 comfortably? 

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,137  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

10.12.2011 | 2:05 AM ET

Yeah that's funny P4P Champ. They need to fight.

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

10.12.2011 | 2:17 AM ET

Gotta be Edgar/Aldo. I think Aldo has had weight cutting issues recently. Don't know if i'm right or not, but I'd love to see this one.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

putaforkinya
putaforkinya
  • Predictions:  10,025  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  736
  • Post Score: 236

10.12.2011 | 4:50 AM ET

@prodigy did you here that maybe in this threads first post?? ;-)

" holy **** did you see that?, baddest ***********er ever, hooooly ****" -Dana White seconds after Silva KO'd Vitor

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

10.12.2011 | 9:43 AM ET

I think Aldo and Edgar could effectively trade positions.

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : WATCH: Swedish fighter delivers incredible faceplant knockout in pro debut
  • MMA Junkie : GLORY Kickboxing vet Jhonata Diniz ready for 'big names' at heavyweight after UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Mania : Video: Garcia Striking Tips Open Colby’s Third Eye
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Perez on UFC main event knockout: ‘My friends always call me pillow hands, so now they can’t’
  • Middle Easy : Islam Makhachev Says Dustin Poirier Is A ‘Tough Fight’, Wants Arman Tsarukyan Next
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Alex Perez after UFC on ESPN 55 upset win?
  • MMAFighting.com : WATCH: UFC vet Hunter Azure flattens opponent with brutal one-punch knockout
  • Middle Easy : Video: Ryan Garcia Gives UFC Star Colby Covington Quick Striking Tutorial
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Perry thanks Conor McGregor for becoming BKFC owner: 'He's done remarkable things'
  • MMA Mania : ‘Thank You, Man’
  • MMAFighting.com : Michael Chandler reacts to Conor McGregor becoming part owner of BKFC
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 post-event facts: Ryan Spann's struggles continue
  • Middle Easy : Mike Perry Reacts To Conor McGregor’s BKFC Ownership: ‘Nobody Moved That Needle Like Him’
  • MMA Junkie : Uros Medic knows Ian Machado Garry won't fight him but in his 'humble opinion,' would knock him out
  • MMAFighting.com : David Feldman explains how Conor McGregor became BKFC co-owner, how Dana White may react
  • MMA Mania : BKFC, The Morning After: It’s Finally Time For Perry Vs. Till
  • MMA Junkie : Alex Perez content UFC on ESPN 55 served as reminder: 'Honestly, I haven't changed'
  • Jits Magazine : BJJ Stars 12 Full Results And Review
  • MMA Mania : Highlights! Duffee, Hunt Suffer TKO Injuries At KnuckleMania 4
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry on fiery Darren Till callout: ‘He’s talking his sh*t but he ain’t doing nothing’