Tapology Forums

BONES vs MACHIDA at ufc 140!!!

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

10.06.2011 | 12:10 PM ET

Dana just posted this on his twitter! not sure why rashad got skipped but I think dana said he had pins in his hand

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Responses Page 5

Crumx7
Crumx7
  • Predictions:  1,598  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,110
  • Post Score: 181

10.06.2011 | 7:46 PM ET

How about how he wouldn't fight Rashad unless he gets "Anderson Silva money".  That was my favorite Machida quote, people hate on Anderson, at least he can speak English.  Machida cannot speak a lick of English.

* Edited at 10.06.2011, 7:48 PM ET *

"If you think about it, life is your one big chance" Follow @CRUMxMMA on Twitter

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

10.06.2011 | 7:48 PM ET

Crumx7...you really care if foreign fighters can speak english or not?  That's kinda lame dude.
Crumx7
Crumx7

10.06.2011 | 7:55 PM ET

He's the only Brazilian fighter that I know of who hasn't even made an effort to do so.

"If you think about it, life is your one big chance" Follow @CRUMxMMA on Twitter

AnAlias
AnAlias

10.06.2011 | 7:57 PM ET

Who cares if any of them do?  So the UFC is based in the US...MMA is an international sport.  People from different countries speak different languages.  I don't care if a fighter is a damn mute.  If he can fight, I'll have as much respect for him as anyone else.

* Edited at 10.06.2011, 8:03 PM ET *

AnAlias
AnAlias

10.06.2011 | 8:13 PM ET

Plus, I definitely remember Lyoto speaking some English.

"I love you Joe Hogan! Karate is back!"

* Edited at 10.06.2011, 8:14 PM ET *

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,572  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045
  • Post Score: 212

10.06.2011 | 8:18 PM ET

@AnAlias he also said something to the effect of "If you have a Dream, Go Ahead It's Possible!" 

* Edited at 10.06.2011, 8:18 PM ET *

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

10.06.2011 | 8:52 PM ET

@K1, hand over your punk card.  Buffalo Ben and I need to stamp it.  Thanks.

As far as Machida is concerned, I don't think that it's the dawn of a new Machida era or anything like that, but I still do believe that he offers up problems for Jones in this fight.  It's not a "band wagon," it's just an opinion.  Jones will more than likely find a way to defeat him, but I think that he will have to do it a different way, because Machida is a very defensive-minded fighter, and I just don't see him falling victim to the same tactics that Jackson did.  I think these two guys will mirror each other to a degree for the first couple of rounds, inducing a lot of boos from the crowd.  This one will probably go to a decision, and honestly, with the judges in MMA these days I could see a bad decision coming out, and a rematch as a result.

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

BodyModifier
BodyModifier
  • Predictions:  21  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,608
  • Post Score: 152

10.06.2011 | 8:58 PM ET

I love the simple mindset some fans possess regarding Machida and his past performances. If you really watch a fight and not just look at his record or pick apart an opponent they faced, and actually look at their skill set. You'll then see that Machida is a threat to any fighter that steps inside the cage with him. The only fighter I truly think has his number is Shogun. Because "Styles Make Fights". I feel like a parrot repeating everything I type in each Machida thread. It's like people don't like him because of his back peddling and because of the aura he once had, which was hyped up by the fan base. "The Machida Era". You don't see many threads about this or any talk about this anymore. 

There are possibly many reasons people are hating on Machida. Maybe because he potentially has the skill set and right style to threaten the King in the LHW Division. People are so on Jones that any opponent that fights him will dismiss his credibility based on past performances or wins and losses on that fighters record. 
Or it has to do with him being part of Blackhouse. Because he trains with Anderson and some people despise Anderson which are usually George St.Pierre fans because they could possibly meet up in the future.
Or it could be because he drinks his own urine lol.
I honestly don't know how you could not see that Machida has a style that could cause Jones problems. He's very elusive. Even with a long reach, Jones will still have to find his range and get into his rhythm. He can't make any technical errors on the feet or it'll be exposed by a technician counter striker. Machida is very under rated on the ground, and has a sumo base background....
Stylistically this fight should be very interesting to watch. Rashad and Machida are the only fighters in the division to showcase Jones holes in his game, or even showcase how great Bones really is when he faces the two most challenging fighters in the division. 
So yes Crum I honestly don't know what you're watching but to me regardless of who Machida has fought or how he's won or who he's won against. He is a threat to any fighter in the UFC. He's also changed up his fighting style to engage more instead of back peddling. To adjust your own fighting style and to engage more can really open up some opportunities for him in the Octagon. 
I'm not saying Machida can win this but you can't say he has no chance. Until the fight actually happens. Machida has more than one tool...it just depends on how logical he is with using them. 

/rant

* Edited at 10.06.2011, 9:03 PM ET *

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

OlexeiTolchev
OlexeiTolchev
  • Predictions:  6,293  |  65.2%
  • Forum Posts:  51
  • Post Score: 318

10.06.2011 | 8:58 PM ET

Welcome to the Machida Era Part II....nah nevermind. Love watching Machida fight but he's gonna get wrecked at UFC 140. Poor Rashad.

"Winter is Coming."

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx
  • Predictions:  2,546  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,218
  • Post Score: 104

10.06.2011 | 9:06 PM ET

Jones > LHW division

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

fglop
fglop
  • Predictions:  1,625  |  70.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,061
  • Post Score: 150

10.06.2011 | 10:03 PM ET

IDK why people are saying Machida's some stylistic nightmare for JBJ. Machida plays a distance game and rarely closes the distance. How is that going to allow him to put up any offense against a guy with 8+ inches of reach? If anything, Machida won't get his ass beat as bad but I can't see him putting up enough offense to beat Jones.
buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

10.06.2011 | 10:25 PM ET

bassistdude may be right

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

Crumx7
Crumx7

10.06.2011 | 11:49 PM ET

@BodyModifier.  I call it a bandwagon because a lot of people on here are saying that Machida will wreck Jon Jones.  Which couldn't be further from the truth, if "styles make fights" then Jones and Machida's styles mirror each other.  Jon Jones does it better, he is bigger and he is a strong wrestler.  Where is the hole in Jones' game exactly? please enlighten me.  I haven't seen the least bit of a hole, he has sustained little damage in his entire UFC run.  Everyone is blowing Machida up like he's this incredible fighter, yes he is good.  But based on what? based on his record and who he has beaten.  For you to dump all over how I looked at records doesn't make sense to me.  Machida has beaten high caliber opponents, whether or not he deserves a title shot is another story.  Regardless, Jones is nearly untouchable, he has shown it in pretty much all of his fights.  He's only getting better.

* Edited at 10.06.2011, 11:50 PM ET *

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

10.07.2011 | 12:19 AM ET

machida wreck jones. LOLLMAOLOLLMAO! its over in the second round. JBJ submits machida with rear naked choke.
BodyModifier
BodyModifier

10.07.2011 | 12:49 AM ET

@Crum I didn't specifically call out you, but rather generalizing. You did say he beat an old veteran with a flying front kick, and it didn't impress you. So yes to call out one fight that showcased Machida's change in style and how he engages not impressive. I'm definitely going to point that out in your post.
Also the holes in Jon Jones game is his striking. He's very unpredictable but will be countered if he's too fancy with it. Remember when Jon Jones used a fancy move on Shogun and he could have made Jon pay for it? Machida can do the same if JBJ gets too carried away. Once the fight goes to the ground Machida is no slouch. Did you see how fast Machida slapped on that submission against Rampage? He registers submissions fairly quickly and is very experienced on the ground. Machida and JBJ don't mirror each other. They are two completely different animals, but are deadly in their own right and discipline. 
Machida is a fighter who corrects his mistakes (You will notice that in the Randy fight) and takes the right preparation to analyze his opponents. It's not the point of him beating an old washed up Couture. He showed improvement in sharpening his skills. 
JBJ on the other hand I admire incredibly with his skills. He's still learning and hasn't even hit his ******* prime. He's going to be unstoppable in the future, but I can see him possibly losing from making a rookie mistake one of these fights. (ala GSP earlier in his career) Trust me if he does this fancy striking with a very technical striker he'll pay for it each time. These two fighters are rubix cubes and will mirror each other in that sense. That's why this fight is the most anticipated fight on my list. Not because Machida is my 3rd favorite fighter, but because of their styles...which yes styles make fights. The whole LHW Division is styles that connect together like marriage which = entertaining fights....
Oh and if he beats Machida decisively...I'll be counting out Rashad for sure. Styles make fights but if he can beat Machida...I'll be damn confident he can neutralize Rashad's wrestling and make him pay in the stand up.
On paper Jones should beat Machida, but I'm not 100% convinced. I have faith in "The Dragon".

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

10.07.2011 | 12:50 AM ET

@Wolf it is probable but I don't think it'll be that early if it does in fact happen. I can see it happening the way it did with Rampage. In the later rounds and overwhelms Machida. 
I still stand by my post though. 

Crumx7
Crumx7

10.07.2011 | 1:01 AM ET

I don't find it impressive based on how many people compare that KO of Randy to Anderson's over Vitor.  People think that Machida is unstoppable because of it, and that's what frustrates me.  Machida and Jones both fight defensively, how is that not a mirror.  The only thing that's different is that Machida backpedals a lot more.  Jones fights smarts, he didn't try anything fancy in the fight against Rampage, he knew the power that Rampage possesses.  All along showing insane similarities to how Anderson Silva throws his kicks.  Jones learns insanely fast and has dominated damn near everyone in his division.  I agree with you that Machida has a very unique style.  Jones does as well, we will see who prevails at UFC 140.  On that note, great discussion good sir.

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

10.07.2011 | 1:08 AM ET

I didn't get the whole concept of the mirroring each other but I get it 100% now. I do think Machida counters a lot more and is more effective when he triggers and engages. Jones is just effective all around. But he's still learning and is still going to screw up a few times which is why I think he'll have to come in 100% and never make any mistakes with a fighter like Machida. 
I do agree Jones showed a lot more caution and didn't display any fanciness with Rampage. That's a fair point and definitely taken into consideration fighting someone like Lyoto. 
I'm just so ******* pumped for this fight and It just bugs me when people think their opinion is the right one. I'm sure we can all agree this fight is definitely a ******* good replacement for Rashad. I'd like to see Rashad fight but like someone mentioned earlier. It'll just make it that much more anticipated if Jones gets passed Machida.
If he gets past Machida I'll officially be picking Jones in every fight. Until he decides to move to a different weight class. 
Definitely a constructive conversation and this is why this site is top notch. Full of respect and never gets too carried away. 

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

10.07.2011 | 1:10 AM ET

Thumbs up for your posts Crum.

Crumx7
Crumx7

10.07.2011 | 1:17 AM ET

Same to you bro.  I agree, the fight will be nasty regardless of who wins.  

Page 5

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson Will Be Sanctioned as a Professional Boxing Match
  • UFC.com : Main Event Spotlight | UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Hernandez out of UFC 302 fight with Roman Dolidze
  • Middle Easy : Francis Ngannou Shares Heartbreaking Message Following the Tragic Death of His 18-Month-Old Son
  • MMA Mania : ‘Nicolau Had Only What He Deserved’
  • MMAFighting.com : Clay Collard vs. Mads Burnell to headline PFL event in Salt Lake City in June
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 medical suspensions: 5 fighters potentially out 180 days
  • MMA Junkie : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 medical suspensions: Mike Perry faces 60 days off after 60-second bout
  • MMA Mania : Hughes Debut Set For Bellator Dublin
  • MMAFighting.com : Jorge Masvidal rips Jake Paul for MMA callout: ‘You can’t even box, now all of a sudden you’re doing f*cking MMA?’
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev says he has the key for an 'easy fight' vs. Dustin Poirier: 'It's worst style for this guy'
  • UFC.com : UFC 301 Embedded | All Episodes
  • MMA Junkie : Francis Ngannou's 15-month-old son dies; ex-UFC champ expresses heartbreak on social media
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Great opportunity to make a name for myself’: Munguia looks forward to showdown with Canelo
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Great opportunity to make a name for myself’: Jaime Munguia looks forward to showdown with Canelo
  • MMA Mania : Ngannou Issues Statement After Son Passes
  • MMAFighting.com : Francis Ngannou tragically loses 15-month-old son, MMA world mourns
  • MMAFighting.com : Francis Ngannou tragically loses 18-month-old son, MMA world mourns
  • MMA Junkie : Francis Ngannou's 18-month-old son dies; ex-UFC champ expresses heartbreak on social media
  • MMA Junkie : Ivana Petrovic felt Na Liang 'didn't want to be there anymore' ahead of UFC on ESPN 55 finish