Tapology Forums

i think we all agree that jones is the #1 LHW, so who's #2 ??

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

putaforkinya
putaforkinya
  • Predictions:  10,025  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  736
  • Post Score: 236

09.26.2011 | 2:59 PM ET

205 probably the most stacked division.  LW is up there as well but any ways it just seems like anyone of the top 5 guys could be champ at any time hence why the belt keeps changing hands the way that it does.
how ever even though rampage just got walked over i personally think that he is the next best thing.  i think if he fought rashad again and in shape this time like in his fight against machida that he would have KO'd rashad.
and i know a lot of you ill say machida is but athough i think that Mashida will probably give bones the toughest time of them all, i think that other guys in the div can still beat him.  rampage already proved he can,   i think that if rashad used his wrestling and didn't try to stand up with machida this time that he would.  and clearly shogun has his number as he already beat him twice. thoughts?!?

" holy **** did you see that?, baddest ***********er ever, hooooly ****" -Dana White seconds after Silva KO'd Vitor

Responses Page 2

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

09.26.2011 | 5:14 PM ET

@soccer great point on Machida. That's been my point for a long time. Enough Machida talk already. Also imo I don't think the champion is automatically #1 in the division. I know by your lw rankings you agree with me. I just can't wait for Evans vs Jones. All these people saying Rashad has no chance either hate him so much that they're ignorant to his ability or they've been taking way too many hits off Nick Diaz's bong. Come fight night I'm 100% confident Rashad will prove he's the best at 205. In the long run this loss for Jones will be the best thing for his career. I love "Bones" and I'm a huge fan of his but I think he's crossed the line of confident to ****y. He will pay for that against Evans. People put all the emphasis on the physical aspect of a fight such as reach and so forth but there is a mental aspect that is every bit as important if not more and Rashad has that edge which ultimately will get him the win.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

oilcheck
oilcheck
  • Predictions:  1,105  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  52
  • Post Score: 371

09.26.2011 | 5:16 PM ET

Rashad is #2

"He's seeing more openings than a gynecologist." -The Voice

haven
haven
  • Predictions:  94,655  |  52.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,030
  • Post Score: 188

09.26.2011 | 5:16 PM ET

somebody will beat him someone in the world

"i like mma and the tapology"

MegaDave
MegaDave
  • Predictions:  8,095  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,656
  • Post Score: 191

09.26.2011 | 5:17 PM ET

Rashad is #2 the winner of Hendo/Shogun is #3 and 4 respectively.  Rampage and Machida are tied at #5 

"I'm sorry that the brilliance of my words goes over your heads. I'm not going to stop being an eagle just because I am surrounded by turkeys-CS"

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

09.26.2011 | 5:20 PM ET

@p4p, I think the "mental" aspect of Jones's game is one of his strongest suits. He trains very hard, and never underestimates his opponents. Not to say Rashad is mentally weak, but I don't think you can just give Rashad the mental advantage so easily. 

"Frig off, bud"

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,572  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045
  • Post Score: 212

09.26.2011 | 5:27 PM ET

I don't know how people say Shogun isn't the #2 LHW in the world and Machida has a shot at Jones in the same breath

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

BodyModifier
BodyModifier
  • Predictions:  21  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,608
  • Post Score: 152

09.26.2011 | 5:35 PM ET

I don't know how you can not consider the potential threat Machida could possess against Jones stylistically. I think people look at his previous fights too much or his boring back peddling. Really think about it. People say Anderson Silva has a chance yet Machida doesn't. If anything Anderson would be getting hit much more than Machida since Anderson has been hit by Chael among other fighters. How is it that far fetched?
Rashad- Has the best shot right now and his aggressive wrestling could help beat Jones, but doesn't want to stand and trade too long.
Rampage- We witnessed what happened.
Shogun- Will suffer the same fate but put on a more competitive fight. I could see it going to decision in favor of Jones.
Phil Davis- People are counting him out because they want to see him fight more. If Machida beats Phil Davis in devastating fashion and side strafes instead of back peddling. Pulls the trigger when needed. I damn well think Machida has a chance against Jones. (Not comparing Phil Davis to Jones but Machida has changed his approach and style when it comes to fighting).
Hendo- Has a good chance but will get overwhelmed in my opinion. His H-Bombs will be telegraphed by the champion and he'll be beaten on the outside. By leg kicks and jabs and strikes. The variety of techniques Jones has will be far too much.
Please enlighten me how Machida doesn't pose a threat to Jones what so ever. I'm really curious.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

09.26.2011 | 5:37 PM ET

@cash, it's because as fight fans, we tend to have a short term memory. It wasn't very long ago that Shogun fought Jones, and JBJ made him look horrible. I think if Shogun beats Hendo, we'll see more claims for him being #2. 

"Frig off, bud"

putaforkinya
putaforkinya

09.26.2011 | 5:45 PM ET

when i posted this i actually didn't mean who is RANKED #2 i meant who is second best. like if there was a tournament tomorrow who would face jones in the finals you know? i do agree that rashads wins and record secure his#2 spot.  but i still think a motivated rampage sticks it to him,  a semi healthy shogun KO's him and if he's not using his wrestling then machida beats him even faster.

" holy **** did you see that?, baddest ***********er ever, hooooly ****" -Dana White seconds after Silva KO'd Vitor

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn

09.26.2011 | 5:48 PM ET

well my argument was more focused on Shogun and why people are ranking Rashad and Machida ahead of him but ok Machida vs Jones, or course Machida is a tough fight for anyone with his style personally I enjoy his fights although i wouldn't call my self a fan of his, but I think plain and simple Jones's reach will be enough to counter Machida's elusiveness 

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

putaforkinya
putaforkinya

09.26.2011 | 5:49 PM ET

@bodymodifier was that to me the TS ? i do think that he poses a threat in fact i said the biggest threat its the other people in the div that jones can destroy that will give machida the problems.  I.E shogun

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,901  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

09.26.2011 | 5:50 PM ET

putaforkinya....in that case...I really don't know who to pick.

Between Shogun, Rashad, Rampage, Machida, and Hendo, anyone could win on any given night.
thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

09.26.2011 | 5:58 PM ET

I have Rashad 1 ha ha. but when my internet is back i will probably put Jones at number one.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

09.26.2011 | 6:01 PM ET

@Cash my bad. I'd never put Machida ahead of Shogun. Or Rashad for that matter. Just getting flustered. I see how Machida is stylistically and how dangerous he is, but he has yet to prove it and get in the groove with his own fighting style. Make it more impactful. 

* Edited at 09.26.2011, 6:01 PM ET *

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn

09.26.2011 | 6:04 PM ET

oh I agree and he's shown in the fights against Silva, Evans and Couture he is deadly.  As a Cruz fan I hope he can do the same and use his style and get some KO's

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror
  • Predictions:  149  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  480
  • Post Score: 59

09.26.2011 | 6:08 PM ET

Rashad is obviously the number 1 contender. 
Behind him however I think Hendo is the best canidate considering Lyoto's recent Record, the fact Shogun and Rampage were just destroyed and that I think Davis needs more training before hand.

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

Russello
Russello
  • Predictions:  6,288  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,839
  • Post Score: 279

09.26.2011 | 6:12 PM ET

Everyones gotta stop writing off Machida. When he was unbeaten everyone was going on about it like he was going to be the best p4p fighter ever. Now hes lost two fights against two of the best LHW fighters and suddenly hes got no chance?

"In the quiet words of the virgin Mary.. come again?"

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror

09.26.2011 | 6:16 PM ET

Not saying he has no chance, just saying you won't get a title shot after losing two fights in a row. He will be lucky to get one if he win's three fights in a row, just because he is good does not mean he should get a title shot for losing. Besides, I think Jones will destroy him as well. I never thought Machida was 'unbeatable' and I don't think Jones is 'unbeatable' however Jones is a horrible matchup for Lyoto.

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

09.26.2011 | 6:18 PM ET

Machida is the best match up technically for Jones. Rashad and Machida are the only ones that are good match ups against the champ. No one said he deserves a shot, but more he poses a threat. Just like the whole division does in a sense but Rashad and Machida are up there on my list.

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror

09.26.2011 | 6:22 PM ET

I think Rashad provides a very hard matchup for Jones, much harder then Machida.
When I look at Lyoto I see a guy with limited range, little to no wrestling abillity ( Not accounting his TDD which supposed to be good.. ) Not to mention the fact he is a counterpuncher. The only time he has gotten aggressive.. was when he got KTFO'd.Jones will just take him down and beat him up, I know he has great speed, but he has no threat to Jones's ground game whatsoever.
Rashad on the other hand is fast, has good power, and has the chance to wrestle with Jones. I still think he would get dominated unless he put Jones on his back a few times throughout the fight. 

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Oscar De La Hoya Backs Jaime Munguia After Defeat Against Canelo Alvarez
  • MMA Mania : Video: White, O’Malley Get Burnt During Roast Of Tom Brady
  • MMA Mania : ‘The Rock’ Shares Footage From MMA Training Camp
  • Bad Left Hook : Inoue vs Nery: Live updates and results, 4 am ET
  • MMAFighting.com : Drakkar Klose explains UFC 301 beef with Daniel Cormier, calls out Beneil Dariush, Jalin Turner
  • MMA Junkie : 5 biggest takeaways from UFC 301: Anthony Smith teaches another lesson in misplaced doubt
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Make After UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Mauricio Ruffy reacts to Conor McGregor comparisons after spectacular UFC 301 debut
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo discusses next career move after fighting out contract at UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Michel Pereira responds to UFC 301 criticism: ‘That’s the risk, but I’m the risk-taker’
  • MMA Junkie : Video: The Rock posts MMA training footage in preparation for role in 'The Smashing Machine'
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for free agent Jose Aldo after UFC 301 win?
  • MMA Mania : Pound For Pound #1 Vs. ‘The #1 Money Man’
  • MMAFighting.com : Shogun Rua announced for 2024 UFC Hall of Fame class
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The Rock begin MMA training for Mark Kerr biopic ‘The Smashing Machine’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 winner Mauricio Ruffy warns Islam Makhachev 'a new king is coming' after debut
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexandre Pantoja reacts to UFC 301 win, ‘watershed moment’ in flyweight division
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Alexandre Pantoja after UFC 301 title defense?
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 main card announced
  • MMA Mania : ‘Suga’ To Mac: ‘Send Jet For A Quick Spar’