Tapology Forums

Silva vs. Jones or St. Pierre?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Mark Hoxie
Mark Hoxie
  • Predictions:  947  |  57.3%
  • Forum Posts:  32
  • Post Score: 59

09.25.2011 | 1:24 AM ET

What interweight matchup would you rather see? Jones vs. Silva or St. Pierre vs. Silva?

I'd vote for Jones vs. Silva all day long...

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." - Benjamin Franklin

Responses

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

09.25.2011 | 1:26 AM ET

Agreed. Jones vs Silva is far more interesting to me.

"I live, I die, I live again."

OldManGloom
OldManGloom
  • Predictions:  109,651  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  9,505
  • Post Score: 254

09.25.2011 | 1:31 AM ET

Absolutely!  Spider vs. Bones all day!  I'd much rather watch a fight between two dynamic fighters than a fight between a dynamic fighter and a conservative technician.

* Edited at 09.25.2011, 1:33 AM ET *

"When the system fails you you create your own system."

LoneRonin
LoneRonin
  • Predictions:  3,222  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,171
  • Post Score: 104

09.25.2011 | 1:34 AM ET

Bones vs Silva would be the more entertaining fight. However, I think GSP stand a better chance at beating Silva if they fought.
Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,150  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

09.25.2011 | 1:35 AM ET

Jones/Silva

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

09.25.2011 | 1:38 AM ET

Anderson is a genius. If you disect any of his fights (outside of Sonnen) you can see how absolutely mind blowing his skill set it. I sometimes sit down, watch Anderson Silva fights, and just try to absorb his excellence. Barely dodging a punch, landing jab from the hip, and his diversity on the feet,. It's all so incredible to me. I love the Nogs, Cigano, Shogun, Oliveira, etc., but Anderson is really the only fighter to completely blow my mind.

I take him over every single MW, WW, or LHW. He would beat some HW's too. There is no moment on any fight where he can't finish you and even in losing 4 rounds to you, he will take no damage whatsoever. I want him to fight Sonnen again, finish him quick, then take out GSP, then clean out the LHW division. I like Henderson, Shogun and (maybe) Machida  more than I like Anderson, but none of them would stand any chance.

"We Are All One"

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

09.25.2011 | 1:39 AM ET

Oh and to answer the question....I'd like Anderson/Bones so I can get an avatar bet with Greg and humiliate him. 

edit: I'd like GSP fight too, to me it is absolutely no question (literally, not even remotely close) to who the p4p number one is, but I'd like to see Anderson silence GSP's rabid fans.

* Edited at 09.25.2011, 1:40 AM ET *

"We Are All One"

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

09.25.2011 | 2:12 AM ET

Well Silva already said he doesn't want to fight at 205 anymore so Jones is out. As far as the GSP/Silva fight goes I would love to see that as a GSP fan for the same reason as @mino would like to see it. I don't think you can say for sure who's #1 p4p until this fight happens. You can make legit arguments for both. Despite a 4" height advantage and about a 40 pound weight advantage GSP would out wrestle Anderson to a win and prove he's the best.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

wake99
wake99
  • Predictions:  20,593  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,334
  • Post Score: 282

09.25.2011 | 9:40 AM ET

I would love to see Jones/Silva.
That fight makes more sens to me than GSP/Silva.
Silva is very big at 185, and he fought 2 times at 205. GSP is not the biggest at 170, and never fought anywhere else than welterweight in his carrer
geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

09.25.2011 | 9:42 AM ET

Nobody gives 2 ****s about wanting to see Silva demolish GSP anymore. It's all about Jones/SIlva now.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx
  • Predictions:  2,546  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,218
  • Post Score: 104

09.25.2011 | 10:29 AM ET

Jones would beat Silva. GSP would beat Silva. And according to Silva, Silva would beat Silva.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

genXstar
genXstar
  • Predictions:  29  |  65.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 200

09.25.2011 | 10:37 AM ET

As much as I want to see Silva/Jones, I kind of agree with Dana. It's not that Jones can't beat Silva (i actually think Jones would crush him because of size) but as dynamic as Jones his, he hasn't done enough to earn a shot at the P4P kingpin. Besides, the whole LHW title picture would be in lockdown and there is tons of fights to happen here.

I would rather see Silva take 1 or two more fights against Shogun or maybe Rampage to get another fight in at 205, this gives the chance for Bones to fight Rashad and (most likely) Machida. If Machida loses then there would be nothing holding Silva back from this fight.

"Admit it, we all miss the days in the UFC where there were no such things as decision victories."

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

09.25.2011 | 10:38 AM ET

Silva/Jones interests me more, but it doesn't make sense yet.  Jones needs a few more title defenses imo.  I agree with @Geez.. I think the GSP/Silva fight has lost all of it's luster.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

09.25.2011 | 10:40 AM ET

anderson silva would never agree to fight jones. he would lose badly and he knows it. he is going on 37 years old. let him beat up sonnen again. JBJ has to fight evans, machida and henderson before going to heavyweight.
Mark Hoxie
Mark Hoxie
  • Predictions:  947  |  57.3%
  • Forum Posts:  32
  • Post Score: 59

09.25.2011 | 11:24 AM ET

I think GSP's style of fighting relies a lot on size and control. When a wrestler goes up in weight class, it becomes more difficult to wrestle simply because they give up at least 15 pound of muscle to their opponent. Striking is somewhat of an equalizer. Sure, a bigger guy likely hits a little harder, but a smaller guy is likely quicker.

Jones vs. Silva would almost be a coin flip to me (giving Jones the slight advantage) thus making it a better match up. Because GSP is smaller than Silva, his wrestling and ground control would be almost nullified.

If GSP was a light heavy or if Jones fought like GSP, they'd crush Silva. (ie a top wrester would beat any lower weight fighter because of control) And trust me, I hate wrestling matches so it kills me to say that.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." - Benjamin Franklin

Bansheerush4tw
Bansheerush4tw
  • Predictions:  35  |  68.6%
  • Forum Posts:  66
  • Post Score: 279

09.25.2011 | 7:07 PM ET

I just don't think that Jones vs Silva makes sense considering Anderson has cleaned out his division and Jones is just getting started. If Anderson wins then he beat a young hungry guy, but if Jones wins then everyone would question Anderson's legacy. Not really a fair trade.

"The one who doesn't fall doesn't stand up."

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

09.25.2011 | 7:12 PM ET

I'd rather see Jones/Silva. But, I don't think we ever will.

"Frig off, bud"

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

09.25.2011 | 7:18 PM ET

Jones/Silva makes a ton of sense right now because Jones is the hot commodity of the UFC, but at this point and time in MMA, GSP and Anderson Silva are the #1 and #2 p4p fighters in the world. Jones may very well be the future, and is well on his way to becoming the best p4p fighter, but he's only defended his title once.

I would much rather see Jones vs. Silva because I think it would be a more exciting fight, but I'd still like to see Silva vs. GSP to prove who is the #1 p4p fighter in the world. Also because Silva and GSP has beaten everyone that there is to beat in their respective weight classes. Jones still has to defend his title against Rashad, Machida, and Hendo before we can really say that he has cleaned house in his division. Then there's still a rematch with Shogun, and if Rampage gets back on track quickly enough, there's a possible rematch with Rampage as well.

Jones is very good, but there is still alot for him to prove before we start comparing him to GSP or Anderson Silva.

* Edited at 09.25.2011, 7:20 PM ET *

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

daguentha
daguentha
  • Predictions:  5,408  |  60.2%
  • Forum Posts:  859
  • Post Score: 247

09.26.2011 | 4:30 PM ET

well let us just look at the height and reach:

• Anderson Silva:
  • Height: 6'2" (188cm) | Reach: 77.5" (197cm)

• Jon Jones
  • Height: 6'4" (194cm) | Reach: 84.5" (215cm)

• Georges St-Pierre
  • Height: 5'10" (178cm) | Reach: 76.0" (193cm)

Silva and GSP have only 4cm of reach difference, while Jones and Silva have 18cm, but who has the reach like Jones and is on a level like this? I guess nobody.
Jones is just 6cm bigger than Anderson is, while Anderson has 10cm advantage on GSP. -> speaks for Silva vs Jones

But anyway...neither of those fights will happen. The GSP-fight will not happen because Dana, GSP or someone else doesn't want that fight and Jones will have to clean the division first, will Anderson still fight if he has done? Also Jones mentioned multiple times, that he'll move up to Heavyweight in the future.
jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

09.26.2011 | 4:43 PM ET

to be 100% honest...i dont want a super fight...not with anderson silva anyway...imo, and im probably in the severe minority, i would rather see silva fight lombard, jacare, rockhold, sonnen, vitor, and stann still...all of those fights at middleweight intrigue the hell outta me...

my number one "super fight" wish would be jon jones vs JDS in a year or two when jones cant make 205 anymore.

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

fglop
fglop
  • Predictions:  1,625  |  70.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,061
  • Post Score: 150

09.26.2011 | 4:55 PM ET

def AS/GSP. both have cleaned out their divisions while Bones has work to do.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Charlo finally stripped of WBC middleweight title, Adames elevated
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Dana White Busts FedEX Driver In NYC
  • Middle Easy : Colby Covington Denies Receiving Contract Offer for Ian Garry Fight: ‘He’s Trying to Get Clickbait’
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Paid More in Taxes Than He Made From Fighting in the UFC Last Year
  • MMA Junkie : USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie rankings, May 7: Jose Aldo returns to top 10
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Details Impromptu Wrestling Match with Alex Pereira, Weighs in on Potential Fight Between ‘Poatan’ and Jon Jones
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal 2 shifted to July 6, avoids UFC 302 conflict
  • MMA Junkie : Report: Jermall Charlo arrested for DWI after crashing car
  • MMA Mania : Masvidal-Diaz 2 Delayed To Avoid Scheduling Conflict
  • MMA Junkie : Colby Covington denies contract offer for Ian Machado Garry: 'This fight has not been presented'
  • MMA Mania : Sticking Around! ‘This Is The Best I’ve Felt’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘It’s only a few pounds north’: Vergil Hunter talks possibility of Naoya Inoue taking on Gervonta Davis
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘It’s only a few pounds north’: Vergil Hunter talks possibility of Inoue facing Tank
  • MMA Junkie : Saudi Arabia announces extended partnership with UFC, including pay-per-view sponsorship
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303: McGregor vs. Chandler adds undefeated prospect to lineup
  • MMA Mania : ‘What I’m Going To Do To McGregor Is Going To Warrant’ Retirement
  • MMA Junkie : Chael Sonnen makes case for Jose Aldo title shot after UFC 301
  • Middle Easy : ‘A Lot Of Jealousy,’ Sean O’Malley On What Sparked Conor McGregor’s Twitter Tantrum Towards ‘Suga’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 pre-event facts: Can Derrick Lewis extend all-time KO record?
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Paid More In Taxes Than I Made Last Year In My Fight’