Topic: Rua vs. Henderson

Rua vs. Henderson

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,730  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,618
  • Post Score: 60

09.20.2011 | 4:12 AM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Rua vs. Henderson. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 2

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  4,334  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,239
  • Post Score: 122

09.20.2011 | 2:39 PM ET

Prediction: correct Henderson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

@spaceman you must not know much about Dan Henderson soo let me educate you

Hendo has lost 8 fights in his career 3 by submission all by black belts (big nog, little nog, anderson silva) and 5 decision to wanderlei silva, (a spilt decision) to ricardo arona, kazuo misaki, rampage jackson, and jake shields

Dan Henderson has knocked out fighters such as fedor, wanderlei silva, renato sobral, michael bisbing, ect

if people like vitor belfort, rampage jackson and wanderlei silva cant knock you out then Maricio Shogun Rua isnt gonna be able to either.

dont get me wrong i am a Shogun fan and he is a legend but the only way he beats Dan Henderson is by decision and considering Hendo can take Rua down at literally any time he wants the chances of Rua winning by decision are slim to none

"Is reality really realistic?"

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

09.20.2011 | 2:48 PM ET

My 10-Point Breakdown

Prediction: correct Henderson   correct Decision  

1. Mental Edge/Gameplan/Confidence - Both fighters are riding mental highs after their recent victories. Shogun avenged his loss to Forrest Griffin, and Dan Henderson defeated the legend that is Fedor Emelianenko. For Shogun, it was sweet revenge, and proof that the first fight was a fluke. For Hendo, he just didn't win against or beat a legend, he finished Fedor by KTFO. IMO, in recent fights it seems to me that neither fighter really has a gameplan. The just go out there, throw caution to the wind, and rely on their striking to win fights. Both fighters have been champions, and they both know what it will take to win this fight. IMHO, whoever comes in with the better gameplan in this fight, and executes will win the fight. I have this area just about dead even. Shogun 10/10, Hendo 10/10 
2. Experience/Level of Opposition - When it comes to level of opposition, both fighters are dead even. They have both faced the best the world of MMA has to offer. Overall experience I think plays more into Hendo's favor. Shogun 9/10, Hendo 10/10 
3. Heart/Determination to Win - This is where I think that Dan Henderson has the advantage. Hendo has never been KO'd or TKO'd. He's been submitted, but even in those losses, he was very tough to finish. Shogun has a tendency to lose his spirit if the fight isn't going the way he wants it to go. This has been apparent in all of his losses. Even when losing a fight, Hendo is in the fight from beginning to end. I have to give a clear advantage to Hendo in this category. Shogun 7/10, Hendo 10/10 
4. Stamina/Cardio - Both fighters have been known to fade as a fight goes on, but in his first fight with Lyoto Machida, Shogun showed a ton of improvement in his stamina. Hendo still has a tendency to fade once the fight goes outside of the 2nd round. I give Shogun the clear advantage in this category. Shogun 8/10, Hendo 6/10 
5. Endurance/Toughness - Both fighters have solid chins, and tough to finish, but Shogun has had injuries to his knees. I wonder how much of a factor that will play in this fight? Especially if Hendo decides to utilize his wrestling in this fight. Here's more food for thought. Hendo is over 40 years old. How much will age play a factor in this fight? Age hasn't played a factor for Hendo in his recent fights, but then again Hendo hasn't faced a fighter like Shogun. With all that factored in, I have this area about dead even. Shogun 9/10, Hendo 9/10 
6. Overall Striking - Since I can only go to 10, this area would be even, but I honestly believe that Shogun is the more technical and versatile striker. In the striking department, Hendo is pretty much a one-trick pony. We all know that Hendo always wants to land the "H-Bomb". On the feet, I think that Shogun just has more ways to win. Advantage Shogun. Shogun 10/10, Hendo 9/10 
7. Wrestling/Grappling - There is no doubt that Hendo is the more accomplished wrestler. Shogun's takedown defense has improved over the years, but his overall wrestling skills are still atrocious at best. His figh with Jon Jones was proof of that. Hendo's wrestling, I think, rates right up there with Jones'. A definitive advantage for Hendo in this area. Shogun 8/10, Hendo 10/10 
8. BJJ/Submissions - Though Henderson is very tough to finish, even by submission, the fact remains that Henderson's submission defense still not all that great, and Henderson has never won a fight by submission. I think that Shogun has the clear cut advantage in this area. Shogun 9/10, Hendo 7/10 
9. Speed/Athleticism - I think that Shogun is definitely the faster more athletic fighter coming into this fight. Hendo is not known for his speed. Shogun 10/10, Hendo 7/10 
10. Strength - While I think that Shogun is the bigger fighter, I believe that Hendo is the stronger fighter. Shogun 8/10, Hendo 9/10 
 Overall Score = Mauricio "Shogun" Rua 88/100, Dan "Hendo" Henderson 87/100 

* Edited at 09.20.2011, 2:51 PM ET *

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

Spaceman Spiff
Spaceman Spiff
  • Predictions:  371  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  108
  • Post Score: 175

09.20.2011 | 2:49 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

@thiago Of course Hendo has the power to KO Shogun, he'll probably have to get it to the ground to do it though. On the feet, this is Shoguns fight.

@Justyn, Stop being an idiot. Shogun is a much better striker then Rampage, Wanderlei, or Vitor, and even if they were better, it means absolutely nothing about how a fight between Hendo and Shogun would go.

Anyone in the world can be knocked out if hit right, so stop claiming it can't happen to Dan. Everyone thought Mark Hunt's chin was invincible as well, then Manhoef proved us wrong. I'm not saying I know for a fact that Shogun is going to knock Hendo out, I think that's what is going to happen.... but Shogun certainly CAN knock Hendo out, that's a fact.

"Be like water - Bruce Lee"

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris

09.20.2011 | 2:56 PM ET

I disagree there is no chance Shogun knocks Hendo out

Spaceman Spiff
Spaceman Spiff
  • Predictions:  371  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  108
  • Post Score: 175

09.20.2011 | 2:59 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Well then that settles it, you must be ********.

"Be like water - Bruce Lee"

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris

09.20.2011 | 3:04 PM ET

haha @spaceman relax bro

Dan Henderson has never been knocked out or even TKO'd soo me saying that Shogun cant do it is a pretty smart asumption.

Shogun may be the best striker Hendo has ever fought but he doesnt hit the hardest, hes not the strongest, and at anytime Dan can land one right hand and its goodnight (ask fedor) lol

jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

09.20.2011 | 3:21 PM ET

Prediction: correct Henderson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

agreed, let's avoid the personal stuff.

@jay the 10-point breakdowns are always a good read.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

09.20.2011 | 3:35 PM ET

Shogun has lost to wrestlers before, and Dan Henderson has some of the best wrestling around.  Shogun has also been stopped a number of times, whereas Henderson has not.  I like Shogun, but he has also been pretty inconsistent in his career at certain points, and it's difficult to know which one is going to show up come fight night.  This is a tough fight to call because both guys seem pretty evenly matched.  Right now I'm going to pick Henderson by decision.

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

09.20.2011 | 3:38 PM ET

@Lawman.. I agree with your post except the part Shogun has been stopped a number of times.. Hes only been stopped once?

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,162  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

09.20.2011 | 3:38 PM ET

Damn jaykool, 88-87 Shogun by split-decision haha.

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

RWLawman
RWLawman

09.20.2011 | 3:42 PM ET

I consider submissions stops, because the fight didn't go to decision.  He has been stopped by Jones, Coleman, Griffin, and Sobral.  TKO stoppage by Jones and Coleman, submissions by Griffin and Sobral.

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

09.20.2011 | 3:44 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong Decision  

He didn't get tko'd by Coleman......He broke his arm while Coleman was taking him down.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

09.20.2011 | 3:46 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong Decision  

Hahaha Shogun being stopped by Mark Coleman!!!! That was a fluke injury not a Coleman stoppage!

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

RWLawman
RWLawman

09.20.2011 | 3:53 PM ET

So then take one stoppage out, and you still have three?  That's more than one.  Smart ass.  It was still a take down that Coleman initiated.

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

09.20.2011 | 3:53 PM ET

If your including submissions.. Then Hendo has been stopped 3 times and Shogun 4.. Not a huge difference.. Hendo will win though I think.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

RWLawman
RWLawman

09.20.2011 | 3:57 PM ET

Hendo by decision then.  **** all the logic.  How about that?

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

09.20.2011 | 3:59 PM ET

I LIKE IT!!!

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,514  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,798
  • Post Score: 180

09.20.2011 | 4:16 PM ET

Prediction: correct Henderson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Shogun broke his arm trying to stop a takedown by Mark Coleman. That is not a fluke, that is called fighting.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

RWLawman
RWLawman

09.20.2011 | 4:49 PM ET

Thumbs up to mule.  My point exactly.  That's like saying that if a guy gets knocked out from a take down, that it's not really a stoppage, it's just a fluke. 

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx
  • Predictions:  2,546  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,218
  • Post Score: 104

09.20.2011 | 10:11 PM ET

If someone shoots a takedown on you so hard that they break your arm when your stopping it,

they won that fight fair and square.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Four Medalists Invited To Return For ADCC 2024
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Jones Laughs Off Aspinall Vs. Blaydes: ‘Number One Contender Spot’
  • MMAFighting.com : Bellator Paris Results: Mix vs. Magomedov
  • MMA Mania : Predictions! Bellator Paris Full Main Card Preview, Picks
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Things get spicy between Jake Paul, Mike Tyson at Texas news conference
  • MMA Mania : All In! Fury Gambling Legacy And Reputation Against Usyk
  • MMAFighting.com : Aspen Ladd still confused about PFL-Bellator’s plans for women’s featherweight division
  • MMAFighting.com : Jon Jones teases his return in November, fires back at Tom Aspinall and his UFC 304 co-main event
  • MMA Junkie : Edson Barboza on Lerone Murphy at UFC Fight Night 241: 'It's going to be a war like always'
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Tyson mocks ‘fat’ Jake Paul, claims he’s only knocked out ‘little children’
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Jake Paul signals gunshot after Mike Tyson turns back during faceoff
  • MMA Mania : Makhachev Vs. McGregor? ‘People Have To Be Stupid To Say No’
  • MMA Junkie : Bellator Champions Series predictions: Just one non-unanimous pick in Paris – but who?
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul press conference live stream
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Jake Paul Vs Mike Tyson Press Conference Video!
  • MMAFighting.com : Tyson Fury vs. Oleksandr Usyk Preview Show: Who becomes the first undisputed heavyweight champion in 25 Years?
  • Bad Left Hook : WBA adds, then removes rehydration clause from Tank vs Martin
  • Bad Left Hook : PREDICTIONS: Tyson Fury vs Oleksandr Usyk and more!
  • MMAFighting.com : Tyson vs. Paul press conference (Arlington) video
  • MMA Mania : ‘Baddy’ Bet ... Pimblett Opens As Biggest UFC 304 Underdog