Topic: Amirkhani vs. Knight

Amirkhani vs. Knight

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,582  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,524
  • Post Score: 60

03.21.2018 | 10:21 AM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Amirkhani vs. Knight. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

03.21.2018 | 10:21 AM ET

Prediction: correct Amirkhani   correct Decision  

Should be a fun one.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

lldowntoearthll
lldowntoearthll
  • Predictions:  3,926  |  60.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,375
  • Post Score: 39

05.25.2018 | 12:09 AM ET

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm just getting the feeling that amirkhani comes out funky and finds a way to avoid the brawl.
Down Hill
Down Hill
  • Predictions:  2,981  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  36
  • Post Score: 142

05.25.2018 | 12:20 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Knight   wrong Decision  

Tale of the tape: Jason is 25, 5’10, with a 71.5 or 72 inch reach. Makwan is 29, 5’9 or 5’10, with a 72 inch reach. Who’s the superior striker? Answer: neither are known for tko/ko’ing opponents but I’d have to give the slight edge to Jason Knight due to aggression, volume, & endurance as he is the more active fighter of the two. Makwan will probably have ring-rust… similar to what happened to him when he fought Arnold Allen. His endurance started to fade by rd 3, his striking became more labored & sloppy, & Arnold was able to land counter-punches on him. I believe Jason will be able to catch Makwan off-guard with a clean one-two combination when Makwan is tired. Summary of Jason Knight’s striking: orthodox stance, flat-footed, as the fight progresses he abandons technique & defense, virtually no feints as the fight progresses in the later rounds, walks forward pressuring opponents to engage him in a brawl, throws wild haymakers… very sloppy boxing… kinda looks like his arms are flailing around, high volume punches… overall he has a high work rate, rarely moves his head off the center line… he absorbs a lot of shots to the head, chin tuck, both arms tucked in close to his rib cage to protect against bodykicks & takedowns, throws a few kicks here & there… his most effect kick is his right high kick, constantly throws a one-two combination… problem is that he does not set-up his shots so majority of the time his opponents are able to move away or counter him, his punches are a bit too predictable as he only head hunts & no set-up, likes to use his left hand to pull his opponent’s right hand down, & frequently mixes his strikes with takedowns. However, similar to how he does not set-up his strikes, he also doesn’t set-up his takedowns either… at best he’ll throw a jab or after his one-two combination he’ll shoot in for a takedown. He shoots for a takedown too far away & is easily defended… bad judgement in distance… very reckless… can get himself KO’ed like that. Mostly use aggression & power to score a takedown… not so much in terms of technique. Although he isn’t the most technical striker or known for KO power, he is somewhat of a dangerous striker because 1.) likes to brawl 2.) good chin… willing to absorb shots in order to land one of his own. 3.) good endurance… high volume & high pace fight 4.) mix strikes with takedowns… even if he isn’t that great in level-changing on opponents. 5.) throws a lot of power shots 6.) constantly marches forward pressuring opponents + high volume = can eventually break opponents down. A terrible matchup for jason knight in the striking department would be someone that has a lot of footwork, angles, endurance, decent chin, decent in counter-striking, decent takedown defense, excellent in scrambling, & superior boxing… either in offense, defense, or both. Perfect example would be someone like dominick cruz, tj dillashaw, frankie edgar, & we saw Gabriel Benitez get the better of Jason Knight in the striking for all 3 rounds. Summary of Makwan’s striking: southpaw stance, hands low, doesn’t move his head off the center-line especially when he throws punches, throws a lot of kicks… especially body kicks & push kicks, doesn’t throw too many combinations with his hands, decent at counter-punching opponents, his striking isn’t dangerous if he can’t land takedowns or if opponents immediately stand back up. In his first 2 ufc fights he won in the first round by taking both opponent’s off guard with a flying knee & punches in the opening round. Don’t think he’ll take Jason Knight off guard in the opening round with aggression… Jason Knight would probably be more than happy to brawl with him in the opening round. Who’s the superior grappler? Answer: neither, hard to tell… both come from a grappling background before transitioning into mma. I would give the mma grappling slight edge to Makwan. MMA wrestling - Makwan. Makwan comes from a wrestling background… been wrestling as a kid. MMA jiu-jitsu - neither… both have a lot of wins via submission. Neither has ever been submitted. Don’t think either will submit the other although it is possible one will tap. I think the deciding factor in the grappling department will come down to who has better endurance… I’m going with Jason Knight. If they grapple in the 3rd round, Jason might get the better of the grappling exchanges because of his endurance while Makwan has ring-rust.
Shaolin86
Shaolin86
  • Predictions:  4,974  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,090
  • Post Score: 125

05.25.2018 | 2:38 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Knight   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

I actually think Knight gets a mid to late submission on Amirkhani. He's tapped out some very credible grappler in the past, and has one of the best and most active offensive guards in the division. I watched a recent interview with him and he seems right mentally. He was sick as a dog in the Benitez fight and had all kinds of issues going into it, and literally had no energy, and in the fight with Lamas makes no excuses, but he has been working on his head movement and just got caught clean. I think we'll see the old Jason Knight here, and he's prepared for Makwan's wrestling game. Think he pressures, gets the better on the feet, and Amirkhani eventually leaves something out there in a scramble and gets caught in a triangle or armbar.
mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

05.25.2018 | 2:56 AM ET

Hick Diaz is probably gonna beat up the Iranian Invader, Amirkhani
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 3 days, 21 hours, and 51 minutes from now.
Seabeast06
Seabeast06
  • Predictions:  3,799  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  24
  • Post Score: 67

05.26.2018 | 11:09 AM ET

Ridiculously tough pick, for me, this. Amirkhani could definitely out-wrestle him to a UD, but I can see Knight's scrappiness winning him 2/3 judges, split decision.
AtoZsportsinv
AtoZsportsinv
  • Predictions:  1,447  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  238
  • Post Score: 183

05.26.2018 | 1:24 PM ET

This is going to be a good scrap. I got Amirkhani making good use of his time off to improve and catches Knight in a good spot. Take the dog in this fight

"Aiming to be professional sports handicapper"

arielhelwani
arielhelwani
  • Predictions:  1,961  |  58.0%
  • Forum Posts:  4
  • Post Score: -25

05.27.2018 | 12:04 PM ET

I'm super pumped for this scrap. Knight is a dog, he's coming to fight. Makwan needs to avoid a dogfight. If Makwan's in Knight's head he might take this, but if Knight's got Makwan emotional I expect he'll starch him.

"Thank you so much to the fighters, who I believe are the greatest athletes in the world. I'm honored to cover you, you impress me every day"

Shaolin86
Shaolin86
  • Predictions:  4,974  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,090
  • Post Score: 125

05.27.2018 | 4:43 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Knight   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

Well, no scrambles on the ground because all Amirkhani could do was stall in top position and do literally nothing on the ground. Maybe I should've anticipated that. Still almost got knocked out twice and submitted once. He won't gain any fans with that kind of performance.
MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,326  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

05.27.2018 | 6:11 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Knight   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Really thought Jason Knight won, to be honest. The stalling on Amirkhani's part shouldn't be rewarded. At least Knight was moving and doing stuff while on the bottom. And that's on top of the fact Knight dropped and seemingly put Amirkhani out twice in R1. 

I don't know. One of those examples of a fight where the dude who spent alot of time on top should not have been rewarded for it. Because while there, he did literally nothing. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Haney Requests Garcia Rematch Because ‘Weight Played A Role’ In Defeat
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill Brutally Honest On UFC 300 Regrets, Who Should Be Next For Alex Pereira
  • MMA Mania : Return Of The Bare Knuckle King
  • MMA Mania : PFL MENA Inaugural Event Set For May 10 In Riyadh
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive – Jamahal Hill Talks ‘Crazy’ BMF Title Clash at UFC 300, Comments on Ryan Garcia’s Epic Troll Job
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping warns Michael Chandler not to underestimate Conor McGregor: 'Can't be drunk on your own ego'
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Prograis says karma caught up to Haney in Garcia fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Regis Prograis says karma caught up to Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘Stop Running!’ Vieira Claims Harrison Declined UFC 303 Fight Offer
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill On Fighting Khalil Rountree So Soon At UFC 303, Rejecting A Main Event
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva explains how fast UFC rise was actually deceivingly long
  • MMA Junkie : Marlon Vera calls out Petr Yan for November showdown after he previously 'declined,' Yan fires back
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Strongman Hall Breaks Pereira Punch Record ... Kind Of
  • MMAFighting.com : Coach Rafael Cordeiro: Beneil Dariush took time off after repeated head trauma in 2023
  • UFC.com : It’s Not Just Winning For Victor Henry, It’s How He Wins
  • MMA Junkie : Title or not, Jamahal Hill says Alex Pereira rematch has to happen
  • MMA Mania : Video: Hill Praises Pereira’s ‘Gritty’ UFC 300 Ref Block
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Mike Perry, Thiago Alves engage in tense faceoff ahead of BKFC KnuckleMania IV showdown
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference faceoffs featuring UFC vets Mike Perry, Thiago Alves
  • MMA Junkie : Uros Medic: 'Somebody is going to get oiled up' if I get snubbed of bonus at UFC on ESPN 55