Topic: UFC Discussion

Breaking News: Dana White is in 'real' Negotiations to sign Floyd Mayweather to a UFC Contract

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

12.20.2017 | 1:44 PM ET

by Brett Okamoto

LINK

UFC and Floyd Mayweather Jr. are discussing a deal that would bring the undefeated boxer into mixed martial arts, according to UFC president Dana White.

"We're talking to Floyd about doing a UFC deal," White told ESPN. "It's real. He was talking about [boxing] Conor McGregor. Was that real? Have you heard Floyd talk about many things that aren't real? He usually tips his hand when he's in the media, and then that **** ends up happening.

"We're interested in doing something with Floyd. Everything is a realistic possibility. Mayweather vs. McGregor ******* happened. Anything is possible."

Mayweather (50-0, 27 KOs) is less than four months removed from an extremely lucrative boxing match against McGregor, UFC's biggest star. After winning the bout via TKO in the 10th round, the 40-year-old promised it would be the final fight of his career.

During a live social media stream earlier this month, however, Mayweather said he could sign with UFC.

"They just called me not too long ago and asked me to come back," said Mayweather, via Fight Hype. "I can come right back. If I wanted to, I can come right back to the UFC. I can go fight in the Octagon. I can do a three- or four-fight deal in the Octagon and make a billion dollars. Remember, I'm Floyd 'Money' Mayweather."

During the buildup to the McGregor fight, which drew 4.3 million domestic pay-per-view buys, according to Showtime, Mayweather said on several occasions that the two could fight in MMA. Those claims were widely met with skepticism.

Even if Mayweather is serious about a UFC deal, it is highly unlikely he would face McGregor (21-3), UFC's lightweight champion.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission sanctioned a boxing match, but it would be much harder to justify sanctioning an MMA fight, where Mayweather would face an even greater disadvantage than McGregor did in the boxing ring.

According to Showtime, the Mayweather-McGregor event generated more than $600 million in revenue. White told ESPN that global pay-per-view buys settled at around 6.5 million.

"There was no way I thought that fight was going to happen, but when you sit down with a smart guy like [Mayweather adviser] Al Haymon, a very intelligent guy, anything is possible," White said. "And Floyd, as much as he does the money thing and this and that, Floyd was actually very easy to work with. I was impressed."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well...this is...unexpected.  I know Dana has been looking to make/bring in stars to the UFC, since they only have one and he is considering leaving the sport.  Never did I think that this was their grand solution.  Especially considering the age and inexperience Floyd has in MMA. I am at an honest loss for words.

Thoughts?

* Edited at 12.20.2017, 1:46 PM ET *

"..."

Responses

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

12.20.2017 | 1:50 PM ET

Pure spectacle.  A good idea for money  but makes MMA a joke.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

BoxKicker
BoxKicker
  • Predictions:  14,961  |  67.8%
  • Forum Posts:  21
  • Post Score: 186

12.20.2017 | 2:52 PM ET

This will absolutely be $$$$$ driven.  Although I would love to see Floyd come over and try to actually pull off a take down defense, or shrimp out of a ground and pound situation.  Bottom line 50/50 chance it will be entertaining or it will be a complete lack luster performance.  Much like the overpriced Pacquiao vs Mayweather 12 round PPV sparring match..I mean "fight" that took place.

Will I watch? Yes

Will I pay for it?  Hell No

"Drive Fast, Take Chances"

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325

12.20.2017 | 3:20 PM ET

I'm not gonna even entertain the idea of watching Floyd getting the James Toney treatment by McGregor.  And let's be real, Dana is only signing Floyd so he can setup the rematch between him and McGregor, because Dana wants McGregor to get his win back.

This to me, is the epitome of hypocrisy with regards to the world of MMA, and especially in regards to the MMA fanbase and it's reaction towards freakshow fights.  If it's a fight that happens in a Japanese promotion like Hong Man Choi vs Fedor or any Gabi Garcia fight, people **** on it and call it a blight on the sport.  But if it's the UFC and it's James Toney vs Randy Couture or it's going to be Floyd vs Conor 2: Electric Boogaloo, then all the potato brained casuals love it and turn a blind ******* eye because of the name on the marquee and because it's the UFC.  If Dana was willing to have Floyd climb the ladder (albeit on a fast track) and fight his way up to getting Conor in a title fight, then whatever.  But that isn't what's happening here, so boo this potential signing and boo Dana.

* Edited at 12.20.2017, 3:22 PM ET *

"..."

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

12.20.2017 | 8:20 PM ET

I feel the opposite, I want Floyd to get ****** up. I want more eyes to see MMA is better. People still need to get this reality check, the world isn't quite with us that MMA is king.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 4 days, 23 hours, and 42 minutes from now.
MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,326  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487

12.20.2017 | 8:31 PM ET

It's weird to say that Floyd getting "****** up" in the UFC proves (in some way) that MMA is 'better' than boxing. If that's the case, then Floyd proved boxing was better than MMA in a big way when he ****** Conor up. 

A boxer beating an MMA fighter w/ zero pro boxing fights doesn't prove that boxing is better than MMA. And an MMA fighter beating an old, past his prime boxing great in MMA doesn't prove that MMA is better than boxing. That is even more highlighted if Floyd were to fight Conor in MMA and Conor won. They will have both ****** up the other, with each winning in their respective sport - as they should.

As for the actual topic; Floyd is never going to fight MMA. And I don't blame him. He's one of the very best to ever box, and he knows it'd be silly to even entertain the idea of taking an MMA fight, especially with him now being in his 40s. He could literally box any guy he has beaten the hell out of in his 50-fight career once more and make way more money than he would be taking a risky fight in MMA. 

It's never going to happen. It doesn't need to happen. Conor called out Floyd to box. Conor got what he wanted, and Floyd kicked his ass. Floyd is not dumb enough to do the same thing Conor did and go to a different sport. It's literally a lose-lose situation. He has nothing left to prove. He's a boxer, and no one can hang with him in that sport. That's all that matters. 

**** all this MMA vs. boxing talk.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

12.20.2017 | 9:51 PM ET

You sort of missed the point, the context I was using is from the casuals point of view, but I'm not shocked you misrepresented me. That would change the more boxers lose in kickboxing or MMA fights, since a lot of people think boxing is the pinnacle of combat sports. And it's not weird really that a boxer needs to be humbled in a real fight for the zeitgeist of the fight game to be changed. Boxers I think all should prove they can step out of their limited set and try a real fight, especially when Floyd was talking **** like he would try MMA and do well.

* Edited at 12.20.2017, 9:54 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 4 days, 23 hours, and 42 minutes from now.
Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

12.21.2017 | 1:14 AM ET

Floyd already shot these rumors down saying he has no intention of getting in the Octagon.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

12.21.2017 | 1:47 AM ET

Mcgregor made boxing a joke. Still it was funny reading all the assurances the contards were giving about that 49-1.

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 3 days, and 41 minutes from now.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

12.21.2017 | 1:56 AM ET

Boxing is real fighting. It's actually much more dangerous than MMA.

Much more.

There have been ten deaths in boxing on average per year over the last 100 years. It is the sport of pure striking--of punching your oppoent in the head as hard and as often as you can over twelve rounds. You can be KO'ed multiple times in a boxing match as long as you can beat the count. No ref to save you like in MMA. If you're getting finished in a boxing match, that's only happening one way, Everybody leaves through that door in a box.

The best MMA strikers in existence right now do not hit as hard, or as clean, as the best Boxers. It's not even close. I guarantee you that Deonay Wilder hits considerably harder than Ngannou and he's not even in the top 10 hardest punchers of all time ( hardest puncher p4p Julian Jackson, hardest ever Ernie Shavers).

MMA looks worse because there's more blood. This is because boxing gloves are designed to stop cuts, because cuts stop boxing matches. That, and there's no elbows.

There's more KO's in MMA because of those little 4OZ gloves. Fact. It's just physics; they deliver impact force more efficently than tens or eights.What they don't do is stop massive brain Trauma, which is why the lives of most retired boxers is a ******* horror show.

You put Boxing HW's in 4 oz gloves, people would die. That's why they're made to wear big foam pillows.

Boxing is a limited set of rules, but so is MMA. It's just less limited. You can't headbutt, eye gouge, bite people's throats out, kick them in the nards or breakpeoples joints in MMA.  Does that mean its not 'real' fighting'? There's rules. And boxing is no different. It's not that one is more real fighting than the other, they're just different. In truth, abntyhing that isn't no-holds-barred anything goes free for all violence isn't real fighting.

Also, Floyd will never slum it in MMA. He made more in one fight than Dana white did during the sale of the UFC. Also, he's over the hill and isn't p4p of anything except being a wanker.Actually, that's not true. He may be the best defensive point boxer of all time, it's either him or sweet pea.

In any case, the current p4p Boxers are IMHO:

1.lomacheno/Terence Crawford depending on your world view  ( Lomachenko is technically better but I still like bud more)
2. Errol spence Jnr.

* Edited at 12.21.2017, 2:07 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 3 days, and 41 minutes from now.
Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

12.21.2017 | 3:09 AM ET

I won't disagree that Boxing is more dangerous than MMA due to the fact it involves only striking and the 10 count allows for far more concussive damage. Boxers just get hit more in general. Though I don't believe Boxers hit harder than MMA fighters just cause they are Boxers. There are MMA fighters who can deliver a punch with every bit as much force as a boxer. Besides A solid round house or wheel kick will land with twice the force of a punch the hardest hitting HW boxer in history could ever generate.

In the end MMA is just the far more dynamic sport. A boxer is allowed to use 100% of his skill set in a MMA cage but it offers him a little more than a punchers chance. A MMA fighter steps into a boxing ring and he is limited to about 25% of his skillset. The MMA cage allows both to use 100% of their skill meaning it is a better representation of who is the better overall complete fighter and usually the MMA fighter comes out on top.

In Short in a boxing Ring it is a 100% Boxer vs a 25% MMA fighter
In a MMA ring or cage it is a 100% Boxer vs a 100% MMA Fighter

I also agree Floyd will never 'slum it' in MMA. Even if he could miraculously make the same amount of money he knows the likelihood of him getting his ass whipped is pretty high and he is too egotistical and proud to allow that to happen.

* Edited at 12.21.2017, 3:10 AM ET *

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

12.21.2017 | 7:53 AM ET

Goodridge may be like that in a few years.

Kuma
Kuma
  • Predictions:  40,025  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 210

12.21.2017 | 8:05 AM ET

I didn't read the thread or any posts,that's just silly,there's absolutely no way in hell this ever happens and i'm honestly sick of people blabbing for publicity.
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

12.22.2017 | 7:43 AM ET

I actually hope it does not happen. It's a waste of time.

Gator001
Gator001
  • Predictions:  13,265  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  231
  • Post Score: 284

12.23.2017 | 5:22 AM ET

The WWE debacle that UFC is becoming since the IMG buyout continues. Pretty much had enough of this ******** to be honest

"Enlightenment comes from the question not the answer"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

12.25.2017 | 11:09 AM ET

I blame it all on Dana and Mcgregor.

Kuma
Kuma
  • Predictions:  40,025  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 210

12.25.2017 | 11:20 AM ET

I do too Rap,I think it was going in that direction anyway and has little to do with WME or whatever it's called.
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

12.25.2017 | 5:45 PM ET

Maybe some people here will see what I not like about the McGregor situation? I saw this year's ago as I felt they were giving him too much. It actually got worse than I thought it would.

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

12.26.2017 | 9:49 AM ET

OMG dude, everyone saw this, it not something special you noticed that everyone else missed, it just we all think your a whiny ***** whenever conor is concerned and have an obsessive hate of him.  Like down playing his skills constantly and not being remotely objective at all whenever his name is mentioned.

* Edited at 12.26.2017, 9:53 AM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

12.26.2017 | 9:29 PM ET

I don't seem to remember many people saying this. I like how you speak for everyone. "Your". Lol.

Thesnake101
Thesnake101
  • Predictions:  14,822  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,007
  • Post Score: 207

12.26.2017 | 10:52 PM ET

I don't know about the guys in here, as I didn't really check the tapology forums all that often until a bit ago, but pretty much everyone on sherdog was in agreement that the UFC gave Conor way too much control and that he now had them by the balls. It wasn't some huge ass secret, or something that you had to be very focused on to see.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill Brutally Honest On UFC 300 Regrets, Who Should Be Next For Alex Pereira
  • MMA Mania : PFL MENA Inaugural Event Set For May 10 In Riyadh
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive – Jamahal Hill Talks ‘Crazy’ BMF Title Clash at UFC 300, Comments on Ryan Garcia’s Epic Troll Job
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping warns Michael Chandler not to underestimate Conor McGregor: 'Can't be drunk on your own ego'
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Prograis says karma caught up to Haney in Garcia fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Regis Prograis says karma caught up to Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘Stop Running!’ Vieira Claims Harrison Declined UFC 303 Fight Offer
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill On Fighting Khalil Rountree So Soon At UFC 303, Rejecting A Main Event
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva explains how fast UFC rise was actually deceivingly long
  • MMA Junkie : Marlon Vera calls out Petr Yan for November showdown after he previously 'declined,' Yan fires back
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Strongman Hall Breaks Pereira Punch Record ... Kind Of
  • MMAFighting.com : Coach Rafael Cordeiro: Beneil Dariush took time off after repeated head trauma in 2023
  • UFC.com : It’s Not Just Winning For Victor Henry, It’s How He Wins
  • MMA Junkie : Title or not, Jamahal Hill says Alex Pereira rematch has to happen
  • MMA Mania : Video: Hill Praises Pereira’s ‘Gritty’ UFC 300 Ref Block
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Mike Perry, Thiago Alves engage in tense faceoff ahead of BKFC KnuckleMania IV showdown
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference faceoffs featuring UFC vets Mike Perry, Thiago Alves
  • MMA Junkie : Uros Medic: 'Somebody is going to get oiled up' if I get snubbed of bonus at UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Louisville announced with 13 fights already booked for the card
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo hopes Conor McGregor 'of old' shows up vs. Michael Chandler at UFC 303