Tapology Forums

Will there be a silva sonnen II?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

12.04.2010 | 9:42 AM ET

Since the only reason sonnen did so good was because of the steroids. Does anybody want to watch it if sonnen will just get tko'd in like 10 seconds.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

Responses

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,575
  • Post Score: 275

12.04.2010 | 10:26 AM ET

I bet there will be.  I don't know if the UFC will schedule Sonnen in a fight for March or April, or if instead they will wait and see who wins in Silva vs Belfort.

And then there is Yushin Okami who supposedly earned a title shot.  Not sure what will happen to him and if UFC will change its mind.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Dominic Decoco
Dominic Decoco
  • Predictions:  287  |  56.1%
  • Forum Posts:  115
  • Post Score: 17

12.04.2010 | 12:28 PM ET

If there's a rematch Sonnen will win!! I don't think the steroids had much to do with anything and he's got the krytonite for Anderson Silva style of fighting. Sonnen will be MW champ in 2011 you heard it here first unless you heard it first somewhere else.
BeastMaster
BeastMaster

12.04.2010 | 6:08 PM ET

Obviously you have never seen silva fight. 

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

Dominic Decoco
Dominic Decoco
  • Predictions:  287  |  56.1%
  • Forum Posts:  115
  • Post Score: 17

12.04.2010 | 6:41 PM ET

Nah I've seen him, Silva was getting dominated. Silva just isn't what he used to be... if he fights Sonnen again it's trouble time.
bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

12.04.2010 | 7:22 PM ET

I'd take Sonnen the second time around granted he decides to work on submission defense for the first time in his career.
ScottBJJ
ScottBJJ
  • Predictions:  580  |  60.0%
  • Forum Posts:  27
  • Post Score: 52

12.06.2010 | 7:11 AM ET

a little submission defense would go a long way for sonnen. its called MIXED martial arts for a reason. just having the humility to study under a top quality to bjj coach would take him to the next level, rather than just relying purely on his wrestling for his ground game.

"obsessed is just another word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."

BeastMaster
BeastMaster

12.06.2010 | 7:14 AM ET

So everybody's done with silva because he caught a couple shots and still won the fight

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

12.06.2010 | 8:02 AM ET

I was rooting for Sonnen just as much as the next guy in that fight, and I also don't believe the testosterone played a big role in the fight. More than half (my conjecture) of pro fighters are on something of the sort.

What I will say, however, is that I saw that submission coming from a mile away, I just thought it would come a lot sooner than the end of the fifth round. Ask ScottBJJ, he will back me up on this.

Either way, I think Silva's rib injury actually did play a huge role in the fight. As someone with experience with bad rib injuries, it completely fu*king sucks to do much of anything, nevermind throw strikes or attempt to defend takedowns from soneone as powerful and skilled in wrestling as Chael Sonnen.

In a rematch, I hold no doubts that Sonnen would fare better than most men in the division. That said, Silva is mentally much stronger than Sonnen and having gained loads of experience against the worst Sonnen has to offer, I have no doubt that a healthy and motivated Silva would tear him apart well before the fifth. Silva doesn't have quit in him, but we have seen time and time again that Sonnen does. He's a tough S.O.B., but he does have a breaking point.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

ScottBJJ
ScottBJJ

12.06.2010 | 9:45 AM ET

beastmaster i dont think anybody is done with silva cause he took a couple shots. what i do think is that styles make fights. stylistically sonnen probably stands the best chance at beating silva. i think it also settles the question that in a super fighter gsp would beat anderson silva. i dont see gsp getting caught in a triangle like sonnen did either. that triangle wasnt anything special. sonnen got sloppy and left one arm in the guard and one out, basic mistake. there was no set up for it at all, anderson silva went straight for the triangle and chael sonnen was an emotional train wreck and gave it to him. 
i have to agree again with skelliher that at least half pro fighters are knowingly or unknowlings taking illegal substances. part of the issue is supplement companies dont fall under the regulation of of the fda and can lace their supplements with whatever they want. keeping up with the ever changing list of banned substances isnt easy. that being said its tough to break into any professional sport with out the use of steroids as it is a performance driven industry.

jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

12.06.2010 | 10:22 AM ET

i think okami has legitimately earned the next shot at anderson, assuming anderson does fight and beat vitor belfort.

chael stands a good chance of winning that rematch, but first he has to earn it. that means waiting his turn in line, then fighting and winning one more bout before he gets a return shot. there's no clause that states that a fighter gets an automatic and immediate rematch for putting up a good show the first time around.  he fought well but it didn't happen for him, and now he has to earn another chance if he's going to get one.

all that said, i'm very curious how a rematch would play out.  as skelliher said, the rib injury was reportedly a big factor, but chael also clearly showed the blueprint for how to stop silva.  i'd give silva a slight edge but no more than a -125 favorite or so.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,575
  • Post Score: 275

12.06.2010 | 10:44 AM ET

aye there's no immediate rematch clause but silva/sonnen 2 could do mega business.  even if okami has earned it i wouldn't be surprised to see them switch it to sonnen.

"I live, I die, I live again."

skelliher
skelliher

12.06.2010 | 11:20 AM ET

I wouldn't necessarily be surprised to see them snub Okami again, but I don't think they're going to this time around. Timing wise, I think they should make the Silva/Belfort winner face Okami this summer while giving Chael a fight in the spring. If Chael wins that fight he gets another title shot, assuming it's against someone meaningful; maybe a Demian Maia rematch? The timing works out and it would be a welcome opportunity to see if Sonnen has or has not addressed his submission defense issues. Or maybe a Marquardt rematch.

ScottBJJ
ScottBJJ

12.06.2010 | 4:00 PM ET

i like the idea of chael having another fight to earn a second title shot however i dont think a demian maia rematch is a good idea for him. having submission defense is one thing, having sufficient submission defense of against demian maia is a completely different story. maia's grappling abilities are on another level. 

skelliher
skelliher

12.06.2010 | 4:12 PM ET

Yeah funny the way the sport works. Sonnen would probably have a much better chance against Silva than he would against Maia, but we all saw that Maia couldn't do anything with Silva.

shin2dachin
shin2dachin
  • Predictions:  10  |  50.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 0

01.03.2011 | 2:20 PM ET

An Opinion....

Chael sonnen did great against Anderson silva..sure he did..but Silva did what champions do..He came back and WON THE FIGHT...! who looked worse...SONNEN DID..Who took SONNEN's best shots SILVA did...  A superfight between Silva and St Pierre.. HANDS DOWN ANDERSON SILVA.. ST PIERRE doesn't finish fights... How many fights have gone 5 rounds with Silva.. 1... How many went 5 rounds with St Pierre ..let me see     5-6  at least ..his boring fight against coscheck proved he didn't back His mouth up...Cosecheck went 5 rounds wih St Pierre .. Anyways anderson Silva's been 10 times the fighter St Pierre has ..he dont have nothin to prove.. half the people on these forums probably never fought 1 round in a real fight ...Armchair fighters watchin the tv are a dime a dozen ....get real...as real as it gets boys ...lmao

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• ONE 167 Tapology coverage is now live
  • Itsuki Hirata vs. Victória Souza - The fighters are making their walk-outs.
  • Join the ONE 167 live discussion
  • Tapology Picks: Itsuki Hirata 79% Victória Souza 21%
  • Itsuki "Android 18" Hirata (6-3-0) Tokyo, JP is the #70th Top Women Strawweight fighter.
  • Victória "Vick" Souza (7-2-0) SC, BR is the #42nd Womens Pound for Pound in Brazil.
  • ONE 167 features 4 MMA bouts
  • The event takes place from Impact Arena in Bangkok, Thailand