Topic: The Ultimate Fighter (TUF)

Gaethje on TUF?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

07.11.2017 | 3:24 PM ET

Seeing a lot of stuff that they are trying to get him and Eddie Alvarez as the next TUF coaches.

Hope it's not true would rather not see Gaethje sidelined for that long! Plus I think Alvarez needs to rematch Poirier first!

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Responses

Kuma
Kuma
  • Predictions:  40,051  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 210

07.11.2017 | 3:33 PM ET

I agree 100%.In fact i'd rather just see legends or inactive guys etc. be TUF trainers.I really can't stand it when they have champs on TUF or contenders.
Ultramagnetic
Ultramagnetic
  • Predictions:  63,970  |  72.0%
  • Forum Posts:  595
  • Post Score: 338

07.11.2017 | 3:44 PM ET

"How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm once they've seen Karl Hungus."

Kuma
Kuma

07.11.2017 | 5:15 PM ET

Oh god i'm one of the few Kevin Lee supporter's and I don't even want to listen to him for a whole season.
mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

07.11.2017 | 5:29 PM ET

Kevin Lee will be the heel coach who picks bad fighters and has 1-2 of his guys win. He's a stupid wannabe thug who race-baits and brings the cringe, anyone comes off good next to him.

Let alone Gaethje who would kill him.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 3 hours, and 34 minutes from now.
AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,901  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

07.11.2017 | 7:39 PM ET

I've never been crazy about having up-and coming contenders coach TUF. Leave it to the former champs and long time veterans. 
skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051

07.11.2017 | 7:49 PM ET

I would settle for merely being disinterested in TUF, but I have to despise it if for no other reason than it puts talented fighters on the shelf for 6-9 months. 

I hope Gaethje refuses.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Detroit Superstar
Detroit Superstar
  • Predictions:  11,385  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,331
  • Post Score: 161

07.11.2017 | 7:56 PM ET

I usually support my local fighters but Kevin Lee gets no love this way and Drakkar Klose is right behind him with his shenanigans from Friday night fights. 

I'm expecting Lee, Klose, Stamann and probably Perry to all be on the UFC 218 card In Detroit unless Lee headlines the Tuf 26 Finale the night before. But it would be strange to not have Lee on the 218 card considering he's the biggest name in the UFC that's out of Detroit. 
Hyrm
Hyrm
  • Predictions:  6,141  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,260
  • Post Score: 189

07.11.2017 | 8:51 PM ET

if I have to heard Lee on all a Tuff season I will probably watch the fight only! 

+ Gaethje is the perfect opponent for lee to win... I will prefer if le get his ass kick againts Barbosa or someone like that!

"Never go down without a fight"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,528  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

07.12.2017 | 3:12 AM ET

I've heard Alvarez and Lee rumours. The UFC recognize the star power potential and still think TUF is how you build a name.

Seriously, during the time it takes for the season to film and eventually get the fight (if none of them get injured) Gaethje can fight one or two more fights, either on a PPV main card or headline a great fight night and double the fans he'd get during a TUF season, no matter what kind of grudge goes on. Who watches TUF barring the hardcores these days (and even they don't watch it like they used to).

Gaethje is dynamite, let him build his fanbase the Cerrone way, by just being a badass win or lose. Instead of letting him build on his momentum organically (which tbh, is the only way a fighter can these days), they're going to bury him under the TUF schedule and he's going to disappear for a few months.

The UFC to this day haven't a clue how to build a star. All of their stars are self-made.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Kuma
Kuma

07.12.2017 | 3:06 PM ET

Have they announced someone as a TUF head coach with that person fighting after?I think I remember someone doing it somewhat recently (last few years) but I can't remember (maybe Faber) but that person was a legend type iirc so a loss wouldn't really matter.That would be a gamble though cause they could start promoting it then the guy gets his ass kicked.

It would be smart by the UFC I guess to have Justin in TUF but I would think he'd get just as many or more fans by having two fights like the Johnson fight in the next 9 months instead of coaching TUF.Justin always has amazing fights,he can't be in a bad fight.I hope he doesn't sign to be the TUF coach.Plus TUF coaches never end up fighting lol it's always something.
poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232

07.12.2017 | 3:55 PM ET

@Kuma confused by your question... They normally always have the TUF head coaches fight each other after the season barring an injury.

Did you mean not fighting? In that case yeah I think the Faber/McGregor was one of the few times the coaches weren't scheduled to fight. Actually its the only one I can think of besides the ATT/Blackzilians season

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Hyrm
Hyrm
  • Predictions:  6,141  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,260
  • Post Score: 189

07.13.2017 | 9:07 PM ET

according to low kick MMA, Gaethje and Alvarez are confirme for next TUF

"Never go down without a fight"

Detroit Superstar
Detroit Superstar
  • Predictions:  11,385  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,331
  • Post Score: 161

07.13.2017 | 9:47 PM ET

Yes Gaethje and Alvarez are the coaches. Its confirmed. And for everyone saying they didn't want to see Gaethje sidelined for so long. Its really not that long. They'll fight either Dec 1st at the Finale or possibly the night after at UFC 218. It'll only be a 5 month break for Gaethje. And i like this matchup. It was slim pickings; Kevin Lee - that's a step backwards imo. Ferguson - him and Khabib need to fight already. Barboza - I would be okay with this but it seems like a move neither forward or backwards. Alvarez - perfect opponent. Slightly ranked higher than Boza and Gaethje so it's a move in the right direction and the timing of 5 months is really ideal. A win over Alvarez would set him up with the Khabib/Ferguson winner.

The only downside is no Alvarez/Poirier rematch and as a huge Diamond fan I'm okay with it considering the alternative Gaethje/Alvarez. 

Now they need to strip McGregor. His mind is on Money, no pun intended, Money Mayweather. And there's no guarantee that he'll even return to mma. Just strip the guy, with a clause that he gets to fight for the Title upon his return no matter the circumstances. 

That's just how i feel about the whole situation.

But Gaethje/Alvarez I'm all for that. 
mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

07.13.2017 | 11:40 PM ET

Alvarez is gonna get another TKO loss.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 3 hours, and 34 minutes from now.
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,503  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

07.14.2017 | 7:27 AM ET

I agree

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo discusses next career move after fighting out contract at UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Michel Pereira responds to UFC 301 criticism: ‘That’s the risk, but I’m the risk-taker’
  • MMA Junkie : Video: The Rock posts MMA training footage in preparation for role in 'The Smashing Machine'
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for free agent Jose Aldo after UFC 301 win?
  • MMA Mania : Pound For Pound #1 Vs. ‘The #1 Money Man’
  • MMAFighting.com : Shogun Rua announced for 2024 UFC Hall of Fame class
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The Rock begin MMA training for Mark Kerr biopic ‘The Smashing Machine’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 winner Mauricio Ruffy warns Islam Makhachev 'a new king is coming' after debut
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexandre Pantoja reacts to UFC 301 win, ‘watershed moment’ in flyweight division
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Alexandre Pantoja after UFC 301 title defense?
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 main card announced
  • MMA Mania : ‘Suga’ To Mac: ‘Send Jet For A Quick Spar’
  • MMA Mania : O’Malley Accepts Mac’s Challenge: ‘Send Jet For A Quick Spar’
  • MMA Junkie : Alexandre Pantoja: UFC 301 a 'watershed moment' for flyweights
  • MMAFighting.com : Jose Aldo reacts to free agency, possibly skipping line to fight Sean O’Malley after UFC 301 win
  • MMA Mania : Pantoja To Challengers: ‘Bring A Gun’ If You Want To Stop Me
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Garcia tells Jake Paul ‘I would quit boxing’ if steroid accusations are true
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 post-event facts: Michel Pereira joins elite company with eighth straight octagon win
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith responds to Alex Pereira’s $50,000 challenge: ‘I’ll choke the sh*t out of him’
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith agrees to Alex Pereira's $50K bet after UFC 301 submission win: 'I'll choke the sh*t out of him'