Topic: Fighter News & Gossip

Conor McGregor Is Refusing To Fight In Vegas Again And To Pay His $150,000 Fine Handed Down By The NSAC

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

10.14.2016 | 9:10 PM ET

LINK

by Mike Bohn

UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor believes the punishment levied on him by the Nevada State Athletic Commission was way overboard, and his response will be to avoid all fights in Nevada for the “foreseeable future.”

McGregor (20-3 MMA, 8-1 UFC) was issued a $150,000 fine and given 50 hours of community service for his part in the memorable UFC 202 pre-fight news conference incident with Nate Diaz. McGregor, opponent Nate Diaz (19-11 MMA, 14-9 UFC) and both their respective fight teams began tossing objects at each other inside the venue at MGM Grand Las Vegas, with “The Notorious” launching several full water bottles and Monster Energy Drink cans in Diaz’s direction.

The NSAC expressed extreme disappointment with McGregor’s part in the incident, bumping an originally proposed $25,000 fine up to $150,000, which equaled five percent of his $3 million fight purse for his majority decision win over Diaz at UFC 202.

Although McGregor, who next competes in a lightweight title bout with champ Eddie Alvarez (28-4 MMA, 3-1 UFC) in the main event of UFC 205 on Nov. 12 in New York City, called into the meeting and apologized to the commission for his actions, he was still given the harsh sanction, which he admits has deterred him from competing in Nevada going forward.

“I don’t see Nevada in my future, for the foreseeable future is how I see it,” McGregor told RollingStone.com. “I’m free to do what I want. … I’m good. I’m good. New York, New York. That’s what I think.”

Additionally, McGregor didn’t exactly express interest in rushing to the bank to send the NSAC the funds they demand.

“I thought they might respect (me calling in) a little bit more,” McGregor said. “I owned up. I man’d up. I’m here. I apologized. I’m not trying to blame nobody, although they fired the rounds off first. I didn’t think they would even go that route because I didn’t think this was like a real thing. Are they going to come and arrest me or what the (expletive) is that?

“I wanted to give them the respect, and I felt they would have respected that, but they didn’t. So, whatever. It is what it is. Good luck trying to get it.”

McGregor wasn’t the only one involved in the chaotic UFC 202 news conference scene. Diaz threw the first bottle, in fact, but his hearing was pushed back to a later date, meaning his punishment has yet to be issued. Although he thinks the entire situation is somewhat absurd, McGregor said it’s only fair for Diaz to receive similar treatment, though he wishes neither side had to deal with the matter.

“I do not wish to see Nate get any more or any less than me,” McGregor said. “I don’t want to see either of us have something like this happen. But we’ll see what happens. I don’t know. If they went that way on me, I don’t know what way they’re going to go on him. He threw the bottle first, but I don’t wish he get more than me or anything like that. I just wish we’d get it sorted out and get on with it and carry on.”

Nevertheless, McGregor understands he put himself in a position to be at the mercy of the NSAC, which history has proven is somewhere no fighter should want to be. Whether McGregor pays the fine remains to be seen, but it’s clear he has no desire to compete in Nevada again.

“Respect to them,” McGregor said of the NSAC. “They wanted me to pay them and work for them at the same time. How can I not respect that? Good luck to them.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts?

"..."

Responses Page 2

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

10.19.2016 | 8:07 AM ET

Do you think Siver was a good enough win to deserve a shot? They wanted him to have the easiest road.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

10.19.2016 | 12:37 PM ET

That doesn't mean he's not as good as advertised because he dispatched of Siver easily. Did Diaz deserve a shot at GSP? Woodley at Lawler? Bisping at Rockhold? Dillashaw at Barao? For some reason I never hear you talk about those.

This sport isn't just a linear line, there are opportunities and scenarios that happen and that's just the way it goes. Conor created that "special treatment" by having the balls to make every fight of his must watch. He made that had he lost to each one of the guys he beat on the way up would be a complete and utter humiliation. Him and Dana didn't go to college together, he's getting the special treatment because he put himself out there and brings the heat wherever he goes. He's got the gift, deal with it.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Huiop532
Huiop532
  • Predictions:  9,233  |  58.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,534
  • Post Score: 206

10.19.2016 | 5:52 PM ET

Rappin is easily one of the most annoying trolls on here. And the worst part is, he's trying to be serious and act like he knows what he's talking about. But yet, no one gives a flying **** about the things he says, especially when it comes to talking about Conor.

* Edited at 10.19.2016, 6:02 PM ET *

yasdas
yasdas
  • Predictions:  2,597  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  517
  • Post Score: 140

10.19.2016 | 7:21 PM ET

Having a different opinion than you doesn't make someone a troll.

"I must become shape" - Khabib Nurmagomedov

SlongKong
SlongKong
  • Predictions:  153  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  845
  • Post Score: 56

10.19.2016 | 9:09 PM ET

hey

Why is this event front paged when there are so many others before it?

"I'll fight any man; Any animal. If Jesus were here; I'd fight him too.- Mike Tyson; Downvote me if you want this ****"

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

10.19.2016 | 11:06 PM ET

It's showcased right now because it is *the* event that matters in MMA right now among the vast majority of fans.  That said, when it gets to later in the week we will briefly showcase Bellator, and subsequently will briefly showcase some of the other upcoming televised cards.

"I live, I die, I live again."

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

10.19.2016 | 11:38 PM ET

Huiop, I guess you can decide on what others think. Are we ten years old here? You are the one making ad hominem attacks so it shows you cannot argue.

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

10.20.2016 | 12:03 AM ET

No he right, you are a troll. You keep saying Siver, yet never give credit to conor, for the run he had previous to beating siver, which is better then every single person streak that yoss mention, before they got a title shot, yet you never complained about any of them. You act as if conor got the most gifted title shot ever, which is far from the case and in fact he earn his title shot more so then the majority of title contenders in his own dam division. It clear you have an angry hard on for conor, and you are the only one being childish here, to be frank.

* Edited at 10.20.2016, 12:11 AM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

10.20.2016 | 12:09 AM ET

Not to mention you keep crying siver, yet conor had to beat Mendes, prior to fighting Aldo, who he smoked. this cry wolf **** is just getting old from you, just **** already. This has been going on for like over a year at this point.

* Edited at 10.20.2016, 12:10 AM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

10.20.2016 | 8:12 AM ET

Um, he only had to beat Mendes as he was a late replacement. They didn't want to go that route but had to.. He was kicking Conors ass before he gassed. Conor was out struck by him.

Huiop532
Huiop532
  • Predictions:  9,233  |  58.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,534
  • Post Score: 206

10.20.2016 | 8:48 AM ET

You actually think Mendes out struck him? What is wrong with you? I guess backing up against the cage and getting lit up, and knocked out is considered winning... 
You are the most delusional "fan" on this site. It's so rediculous how often people have to put you in your place because you really have no idea what the hell you're talking about.
We get it, you hate Conor. But he's a great fighter. Who else has walked through their first five fights in the UFC like Conor has? Then knocked Aldo out in 13 seconds. 13 ******* seconds. Who else has done that? Who else has been able to back Mendes up the whole fight standing, and eat his best shots and not even budge? Or hell, beat a guy two weight classes above you? 
If you don't think Conor's good, then there's something seriously wrong with you. Your hate for him is crazy. It's annoying as ****, and no one cares what you have to say about him.
Damn, I can't be the only one that's tired of taking time out of my day to correct you, and put you in your place. Learn the sport, and get over yourself, why don't ya?

* Edited at 10.20.2016, 9:12 AM ET *

Mybbygotsauz
Mybbygotsauz
  • Predictions:  1,612  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  745
  • Post Score: 131

10.20.2016 | 11:24 AM ET

I actually wanna see another mendes connor fight with full training camps. But really tho connors striking is on another level especially when you compare it to mendes, i mean chad isnt bad but compared to connor? However chads wrestling is on a different level then connors for sure imo.

"knocked out three midgets and ya pumped up"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

10.20.2016 | 2:27 PM ET

yes, Conors striking is better but that is for straight stand up. Throw takesdowns in their and it changes everything.

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Video: Canelo Confronts And Blasts ‘F—king P—sy’ De La Hoya
  • MMA Junkie : Canelo Alvarez goes off on 'f*cking p*ssy' Oscar De La Hoya, separated mid-press conference
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘He tried to steal money and he’s a f—ing a—hole’: Canelo steps to Oscar at press conference
  • UFC.com : Meet Featherweight Kaan Ofli | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Omran Chaaban | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Meet Featherweight Edwin Cooper | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Get To Know Featherweight Edwin Cooper | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • Jits Magazine : BJJ Rankings Update – May 2024
  • MMA Junkie : Karolina Kowalkiewicz leans on experience to overcome record 16-year age gap vs. Iasmin Lucindo at UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch: Sean Strickland brandishes handgun after kids play ding-dong ditch at his house
  • Middle Easy : Alex Volkanovski Reacts To Joe Rogan Claiming Ilia Topuria Ducked ‘Old Man Volk’ At UFC 305
  • UFC.com : Public Events Schedule | UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Tom Theocharis | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Get To Know Middleweight Tom Theocharis | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 Fight Card, By Number Of Drug Tests
  • MMA Junkie : UFC books Kurt Holobaugh vs. Kaynan Kruschewsky for July 20 in Las Vegas
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexander Volkanovski believes Max Holloway can make Ilia Topuria fight ‘look easy’
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Jose Aldo gets heated in faceoff with Jonathan Martinez ahead of UFC 301 return
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 'Embedded,' No. 3: Karolina Kowalkiewicz hits the pool, Steve Erceg hits a street party
  • MMA Mania : Aldo, Martinez Separated During Heated Staredown