Topic: Anderson Silva

Analysis of Anderson Silva's Title Defenses

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Dakej
Dakej
  • Predictions:  2,722  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,066
  • Post Score: 201

08.21.2011 | 4:07 PM ET

I wrote up a thing for a friend analyzing GSP's title opponents' strength of schedule in getting their title shots, and decided to do the same for Silva's.  Enjoy, and comment.

Analysis on Anderson Silva's title defenses:

Travis Lutter was supposed to be his first defense after winning TUF 4, but he came in overweight, which made it not a title fight, so we'll disregard Lutter.

Then came Nate Marquardt, on a 6 fight win streak, the biggest names being Dean Lister and Ivan Salaverry. Good streak, questionable competition.

Rich Franklin was next, and at the time he only had 2 wins over Jason MacDonald and Yushin Okami since the last time Anderson beat him up for the belt.

After that, Anderson fought Dan Henderson to unify with the Pride belt. Hendo is a great fighter, but at the time he was only on a 1 win streak at "middleweight" against Wanderlei Silva. He had also beaten Vitor Belfort at light heavyweight in the same streak.

His next defense was against Patrick Cote. Cote was on a 5 fight streak against Ricardo Almeida, Drew McFedries, Kendall Grove, Jason Day, and Scott Smith. Not bad, not great.

Then there was Thales Leites. 5 fight win streak, topped by Drew McFedries and Nate Marquardt. Solid run.

Demian Maia was next, with 1, yeah, ONE win over Dan Miller.

Chael Sonnen had a pretty good run against Dan Miller, Yushin Okami, and Nate Marquardt to get his shot.

Vitor Belfort came into his fight with Silva on a 5 fight win streak but none of them were at middleweight in the UFC. He beat Rich Franklin at 195, and Matt Lindland in Affliction. Undeserved title shot.

Conclusion: Sometimes the true top contender doesn't get the shot, in all divisions.

Anderson "The Spider" Silva

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Anderson da Silva
  • Pro MMA Record: 34-11-0, 1 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Spider
  • Current Streak: 3 Losses
  • Last Fight: October 31, 2020 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Middleweight | Last Weigh-In: 184.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: N/A
  • Height: 6'2" (188cm) | Reach: 77.5" (197cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $4,857,000 USD
  • Born: Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
  • Fighting out of: Curitiba, Parana, Brazil
  • College: N/A
  • Foundation Style: Muay Thai
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,124  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

08.22.2011 | 2:20 AM ET

Franklin, Henderson, Maia, Sonnen, and Vitor are all very tough guys. I think Anderson's title defenses have been against better competition and in more spectacular fashion than GSP's. That's why he's the best.

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

08.22.2011 | 2:27 AM ET

Andy's run has definitely been tougher than GSP's.

And the fact that he's finished 10 of his 13 UFC opponents(Cote kinda' finished himself) really puts it over the top.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,124  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

08.22.2011 | 2:55 AM ET

Haha GSP fans hate me and Geez.

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

08.22.2011 | 3:18 AM ET

wow 2 thumbs down for each. why? Swick and geez are completely right. its plain to see.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

08.22.2011 | 3:43 AM ET

Ok for the GSP fans just giving thumbs down and not writing anything. Anderson first 3 ufc fights Leben, Franklin and Lutter all wins by stoppage. much more impressive than beating Parisyan, Hieron and losing to Matt Hughes. first 3 ufc fights goes to Anderson. Andersons next 3 Marquardt, Franklin and Hendo all by stoppage. GSPs miller trigg and Sherk both impressive but Marquardt Franklin and Hendo is insane. 2nd Anderson. Anderson next 3 Irvin, cote and Leites. GSPs bj Penn Hughes and a loss to Serra. this is pretty even even with GSPs loss. Slight edge to GSP even with loss. Anderson next 3 are griffin Maia and Sonnen compared to GSPs Koscheck, Hughes and Serra. both good runs pretty even. then Anderson only has 1 more fight and GSP has 6 so Belfort vs Fitch is even but Anderson won by first round knockout. GSP wins the last 5 by lack of competition. that's for the people saying "Anderson has had **** competition" etc. its been just as good if not better and he's finished most.

* Edited at 08.22.2011, 3:45 AM ET *

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

Dakej
Dakej
  • Predictions:  2,722  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,066

08.22.2011 | 7:23 PM ET

Anderson's overall list of guys he's beaten I believe is probably better than GSP's.  I was just saying that due to injuries, schedules, and miscellaneous interruptions he, like all champions, has at times fought guys who hadn't fought their way up the ladder to be #1 contender.  Vitor got his based on past accomplishments.  Maia got his because Vitor was injured, and as I recall there was someone else before Maia that they also tried to give the shot to but couldn't take the fight.

Also, while GSP gets crap for being cautious and meticulous in fights, Silva wrecks people and manages to look bored while doing it.  He's a beast. 
xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx
  • Predictions:  2,546  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,218
  • Post Score: 104

08.22.2011 | 9:11 PM ET

I think that people are too eager to pick a "pound-for-pound best". When in reality I think GSP and Anderson are both the top fighters in the world.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

skeet2b
skeet2b
  • Predictions:  8,330  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,703
  • Post Score: 158

08.22.2011 | 9:18 PM ET

all im saying is pound for pound, Anderson has wins in a heavier weight class and GSP only has wins at 170, the guys that GSP has fought at 170 have been better talent wise but couldnt beat any of the guys at 185.  For GSP to be the pound for pound best IMO he will have to take a few fights at 185

* Edited at 08.22.2011, 9:18 PM ET *

"A true champion, face to face with his darkest hour, will do whatever it takes to rise above. A man fights, and fights, and then fights some more. Because surrender is death, and death is for *******"

Unpunished15
Unpunished15
  • Predictions:  1,707  |  57.7%
  • Forum Posts:  146

08.22.2011 | 9:33 PM ET

there has to be something to said for GSP executing a game plan & imposing his will for 5 rounds...  If there is 1 thing that drives me up the wall @ buffalo wild wings it's guys who don't play to their strengths, but would rather "show" the hands everyone knows they don't have, or take the other guy to the mat just to be submitted by a Jiu jitsu black belt.  Now i believe that Spider is the better fighter but not by as much as some people think.

"no good deed goes unpunished"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : 2024 MMA retirement tracker: A list of those who hung up the gloves
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘Are you kidding me?’: Kendra McIntyre uncorks ferocious head kick knockout at LFA 182
  • Middle Easy : Max Holloway Says Ilia Topuria Trash Talks Like An ‘Angry Girlfriend’, Talks Ryan Garcia Betting On Himself
  • MMAFighting.com : Ben Rothwell explains why he spars ‘religiously’ but doesn’t go full Sean Strickland with teammates
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 predictions: Matheus Nicolau or Alex Perez in Las Vegas?
  • UFC.com : Official Scorecards | UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez
  • UFC.com : Main Card Results | UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez
  • UFC.com : Prelim Results | UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez
  • MMA Junkie : Tim Means vs. Uros Medic prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMAFighting.com : Matheus Nicolau willing to cut weight twice in one week for UFC 301 backup spot
  • Middle Easy : Tito Ortiz ‘Incredibly Honored’ To Be Sworn In As Honorary Sheriff In Florida
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 Start Time, Full Fight Details!
  • MMA Junkie : Jonathan Pearce vs. David Onama prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Junkie : Jhonata Diniz vs. Austen Lane prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry appreciates he’s the A-side now in all his fights, but still wants biggest names possible
  • MMA Mania : KnuckleMania 4 Start Time, Fight Card Details
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva vs. Ariane da Silva prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Spann vs. Bogdan Guskov prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Mania : Is This The Most Violent KO In WMMA History?
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 91 predictions