Topic: Cormier vs. Jones II

Cormier vs. Jones II

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,583  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,524
  • Post Score: 60

04.27.2016 | 11:25 AM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Cormier vs. Jones II. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

04.27.2016 | 11:25 AM ET

Prediction: Jones  |  Decision

Good headliner. I'll take it.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

04.27.2016 | 11:47 AM ET

It's actually a better headliner than what was originally scheduled.

It's funny, people were complaining about Nate/Conor II as the UFC 200 headliner originally then it was taken away and not given back, and everyone started clamoring for it to be reinstated. It's a classic "take away" sales technique.  

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051

04.27.2016 | 11:48 AM ET

Very true. It also does go to show the power Conor McGregor has. Nobody cared about the Diaz rematch ... until Conor threatened - and followed through - on taking it away.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

04.27.2016 | 11:59 AM ET

I like this fight better. 

* Edited at 04.27.2016, 12:00 PM ET *

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

whaynes
whaynes
  • Predictions:  28,330  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  45
  • Post Score: -147

06.26.2016 | 2:00 PM ET

Prediction: Jones  |  KO/TKO  |  Round 1

I've never changed how I feel about how I feel about Jones. He's maybe the greatest MMA fighter of all time, but he's too ****y and a hypocrite about his outside-the-ring life. I saw one interview with him where he was humbled about what he had done wrong. He even went to a school where he spoke out about what he did. I gave him kudos for the, but every other time he gets in front of the camera, he acts like he's king **** of turd mountain. His reach and his ability is unmatched, close only be Anderson Silva. But his attitude sucks. I don't think Cormier has it in him to beat Jones, but I'd like to see him knock him right TF out!

"I speak my mind because I have one!!"

RapidMMA
RapidMMA
  • Predictions:  82  |  52.4%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 150

06.27.2016 | 12:03 AM ET

Fight Study - Daniel Cormier vs Jon Jones

200's main event brings us a very special rematch between two of the most elite Light Heavyweights MMA has ever seen. Neither Jon Jones nor Daniel Cormier have ever faced the same opponent twice up until July 9th, 2016 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Many people turn to Jon's reach as being the defining attribute that wins him fights. This is truly a huge advantage but what makes Jon great goes beyond simply reach. In the beginning, Jon used his Greco-Roman to control his opponents and various throws to get it to the ground. His astute ability to manipulate weight. His striking, although green in the beginning, was very creative. Spinning attacks, variable timing, and ariel threats constantly made Jones a terrifying opponent. It's great to have the physical attributes to gain a natural advantage but when someone like Jon understandshow to use it, their threat level multiplies. For example, Stefan Struve is very tall and has a huge reach but we've seen fighters close that distance and knock him out.

Even though Jon Jones is very dangerous and uses his reach well, we've seen him get hit regularly. Lyoto Machida, Alexander Gustaffson, Ovince Saint Preux, and Daniel Cormier have all found, in one way or another, a way to hit Jones. Gustaffson clearly had the most success but for reasons many people don't understand. At first glance, it may seem that Gustaffson did well because he is comparable in physical size to Jon. Yes, this did help but I think it had much more to do with his strategy as opposed to having a comparable reach.

What makes Frankie Edgar one of the best fighters on the planet is his ability to blend his wrestling with his striking. Edgar's striking and movement is the key to him defeating most of his opponents. Against Charles Olivera, a taller fighter with a big reach advantage, Frankie was constantly moving on the outside. Cutting left, cutting right, feinting strikes and takedowns. He moved in and out of the pocket, throwing combinations to the head and the body. This is exactly what Alexander Gustaffson tried to do against Jon Jones. Avoiding the clinch was key for both Frankie Edgar and Alex Gustaffson. It's not a coincidence. 

Even Firas Zahabi understands these tactics against taller fighters.

We don't know Daniel Cormier to be a tactical striker but he doesn't need to be. He does have good footwork and he knows how to throw punches. He has a gas tank but his initial approach against Jones was a flawed one.

Some see the first fight as DC being too "emotional" against Jones but that is the same ******* excuse people use every damn time their chosen fighter loses. Seriously, if you think that is the reason DC lost, you're crazy. Maybe there is a tiny little bit that made DC just want to go out and hit Jones but there was an obvious game plan behind every action DC did.

The constant forward pressure was to close distance therefore eliminating the reach advantage. The in-fighting from the clinch was what Daniel Cormier referenced from Jon's fight against Chael Sonnen. Then obviously from that clinch range, DC thought he would be able to use his Olympic Freestyle wrestling base to potentially get throws and take Jon down. This approach failed him. The attacks to the body, the constant fight against Jon's leverage in the clinch, the hand fighting, and the chase around the octagon proved to be a game plan that favored Jon Jones.

It is important DC doesn't follow or chase Jon around the cage this time. There were plenty of opportunities in the first fight for DC to back off, cut angles, and move laterally but that wasn't the style he thought would work. He felt like staying on the outside would allow Jon to read his patterns and attack with the reach. However, that's a risk Daniel needs to take in this rematch. DC can stay on the outside and not get hit but he must rely on movement and footwork. Step into the pocket, attack with combinations to the head and body, exit the pocket, cut angles from the outside and work feints to set up the next attack. DC will be able to set up his wrestling from the outside, too. Whether it's catching Jon's kicks, blasting in for a double, doing the Frankie Edgar knee-tap blitz, or finding something from within the clinch, Daniel Cormier needs to work more to set these attacks up.

There are many questions revolving around Jon Jones. His time off, the body building, and his last performance are the buzz for casual fans. This bleeds into conversations amongst hardcore fans, fighters and analysts too. These topics blindside reality and make us forget the intricacies of the fight game. For example, people (including Daniel Cormier) feel like if DC would've fought Jon Jones on his return fight, that he would've won. Of course, this is entirely possible but its important to understand the mindset around Jon Jones. He is a strategist and his cornermen are strategists. Therefore, they strategized for a year knowing Jon's opponent would be Daniel Cormier. Three weeks out, DC has to withdraw from the fight and Jon Jones has to prepare for an entirely different style in Ovince Saint-Preux. In any other situation, Jon wouldn't have accepted that fight because it doesn't follow what he's been training for. Since Jon was attacked by the UFC and fans for not accepting a fight against Chael Sonnen in similar circumstances in the past, he felt obligated to take a short notice fight against OSP. Look what happened. Jon didn't pull the trigger.

What's even worse, is that Jon's performance was nearly flawless. Despite OSP getting a few attacks off, the fight was a reserved but one-sided affair. Had it been Daniel Cormier that night, Jon would have implemented a very strategic game plan and therefore the performance would have been entirely different. Plus, DC brings a style that forces Jones to react, which OSP's style did not. However, we'll continually hear the same copy-and-pasted arguments about Jon lifting weights, having a different athleticism and ring rust.

It's undeniable though. Even if Jon retired today, he would go down in history as the greatest Light Heavyweight mixed martial artist and one of the best fighters ever. He continues to defy the odds and set new standards. No man is invincible though and Daniel Cormier is out to prove that at UFC 200.

* Edited at 06.27.2016, 12:11 AM ET *

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

06.27.2016 | 4:52 AM ET

JBJ and DC get the Celebrity Tales treatment

* Edited at 06.27.2016, 4:52 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

06.27.2016 | 7:56 AM ET

I was going to pick DC but I now am going for Jones. I just feel that no one can beat him in this day.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Mybbygotsauz
Mybbygotsauz
  • Predictions:  1,612  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  745
  • Post Score: 131

06.27.2016 | 8:18 AM ET

Hope like hell DC wins, like he said, Jon doesn't deserve this, which he doesn't imo. That being said I believe Jones destroys him again, the way he has everyone unfortunately.

"knocked out three midgets and ya pumped up"

Kuma
Kuma
  • Predictions:  40,025  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 210

06.27.2016 | 9:13 AM ET

I think I had the first fight 48-47,how is that destroying someone? He made Dan look bad when Dan quit but destroyed, nah and everyone? He destroyed Alexander too? We have a different definition of the word I guess.

Personally I'll probably pick Cormier in the rematch. He gassed and quit,then after the fight said that wouldn't happen again and it didn't. He did the opposite of quit against Alexander,he showed incredible heart and shined in the tough moments in the later rounds. Iirc I had him beating Jones going into the 4th where he fell apart, and considering how flat Jon looked in his last fight,I might go with Dan.

Also I think if Jones did come back against Cormier he would have lost in that form,but it's a moot point because it didnt happen and Jon should be back in the swing of things.

* Edited at 06.27.2016, 9:30 AM ET *

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,980  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

06.27.2016 | 9:35 AM ET

There was no way Cormier won a round in their first fight besides the second. Statistically that was the only one Cormier won. Every other round Jones did more. It wasn't a complete destruction but Cormier lost pretty handily and got outwrestled too, which was surprising. There are a lot of questions about Jones after the OSP fight though.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

06.27.2016 | 9:58 AM ET

Cormier was barely competitive with Jones let alone winning a round. 

Like Pillory said, maybe he won 1 round, but he got systematically destroyed. Ya know, for MMA fans to praise GSP to the end of time for "dominating" opponents and ranking him best P4P fighter here on tapology but don't recognize the more dominate ability of Jones is astounding. 

Jones makes it look easy and has only been in one hard fight his whole career against Gus where as GSP has been beaten and bloodied and retired when he won a close fight he should have lost. Jones is the best MMA fighter to ever grace the octagon, despite his ****** personality.

* Edited at 06.27.2016, 9:59 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 3 days, 10 hours, and 43 minutes from now.
Hush
Hush
  • Predictions:  1,159  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  242
  • Post Score: 124

06.27.2016 | 1:59 PM ET

People recognize that Bones is dominant. They also recognize he's a complete ********* with no respect for anyone. **** him. I hope DC drops him on his neck the wrong way and he never walks again. Personally.

"Evils draw men together." - Hush

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232

06.27.2016 | 2:02 PM ET

I don't like Jones either but to wish him being paralyzed is a little overboard I would say.

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Mybbygotsauz
Mybbygotsauz
  • Predictions:  1,612  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  745
  • Post Score: 131

06.27.2016 | 2:23 PM ET

If Jon loses does he go to heavyweight?

"knocked out three midgets and ya pumped up"

WorstPredictionMan
WorstPredictionMan
  • Predictions:  1,156  |  35.6%
  • Forum Posts:  343
  • Post Score: 675

06.27.2016 | 3:40 PM ET

Prediction: Cormier  |  Submission  |  Round 1

Daniel Cormier is going to sit there and let Jon Jones kill him. Jones gets on top of DC and throws bombs after bombs after bombs. 200 unanswered strikes later, DC is clinically dead and the referee has to stop the fight due to 6-12 headbutts to the elbow.

Cormier said earlier he was willing to die to beat Jones and he literally does that. He takes a page out of Matt Hamill's book and does absolutely nothing and let Jon Jones drive himself to Dairy Queen.

As the world is in awe of DC's performance, they're still worried about his condition. As doctors are trying to revive DC with the scent of Popeyes chicken, Greg Jackson tells Jones to go get some fans. Jones walks up to DC's body, kneels down, and stares into DC's face and says, "Hey *****, are you still there?"

"There goes WorstPredictionMan, the greatest predictor who ever lived."

Jcarland96
Jcarland96
  • Predictions:  380  |  53.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: -100

06.27.2016 | 4:36 PM ET

Prediction: Cormier  |  Decision

Y
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

06.28.2016 | 7:46 AM ET

Jones is fake and a hypocrite but he is the best.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Kuma
Kuma
  • Predictions:  40,025  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 210

06.28.2016 | 10:02 AM ET

This thread got kinda dark lol
somersufc
somersufc
  • Predictions:  3,140  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  10
  • Post Score: 160

06.28.2016 | 10:09 AM ET

Prediction: Cormier  |  Decision

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willingness is not enough, we must do." -Bruce Lee

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Coach Benched Dariush To ‘Focus On His Health’
  • UFC.com : Marnic Mann Gets Down To Business
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith ‘Shocked’ By How Good Sean Strickland Truly Is: ‘He Only Shows a Small Part of His Game’
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: BKFC: Knucklemania 4 pre-fight press conference
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves was basically retired until BKFC called for Mike Perry fight: ‘Money talks’
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC Vegas 91 Early Weigh Ins!
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo ready to trade leg kicks with Jonathan Martinez at UFC 301: 'I'm a specalist at what I do'
  • MMAFighting.com : Missed Fists: Fighter cusses out judge, tells them to quit
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champion Sean O'Malley on delay for Merab Dvalishvili title bout: 'I'm not fighting out of the country'
  • MMA Mania : BKFC ‘KnuckleMania 4’ Predictions
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith stands by Alex Pereira criticism but promises he’s not just ‘talking sh*t’ about him
  • UFC.com : Weigh-In Results | UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez
  • MMA Mania : Hunt Files To Unseal All Docs In UFC-Lesnar Lawsuit
  • MMA Junkie : Savannah Marshall signed with PFL for Claressa Shields rematch: 'The goal is to make a build-up'
  • MMA Mania : NSAC To Fine Biters, Brawlers And Diego Lopes?!?
  • MMA Mania : NAC To Fine Biters, Brawlers And Diego Lopez?!
  • MMA Junkie : Raw video: Max Holloway's BMF-ness, Conor's first belt and more UFC legendary moments – without commentary
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Amanda Ribas details recent stalker encounter: ‘He was telling people I was his wife’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results and live video stream (noon ET)
  • MMA Junkie : Scale snafus: UFC official weigh-in misses in 2024