Tapology Forums

Is all the rubber guard stuff really worth it?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

old dirt dog
old dirt dog
  • Predictions:  447  |  66.7%
  • Forum Posts:  236
  • Post Score: 33

11.23.2010 | 9:03 AM ET

I don't know jiu jitsu as well as a lot of other people but I do know that I can remember anyone really doing rubber guard and changing the fight dramatically because of it.

So my question is if the rubber guard is really effective or not in high level MMA competition.  

Latest example was Mike Lullo vs Edson Barboza last weekend. Whenever it hit the ground, Lullo whipped out the rubber guard and Rogan started naming all the crazy positions... crackhead, zombie, all this stuff.  Now, Lullo did get sort of close with his gogoplata attempt but most of the time I don't know if the rubber guard is really worth it. 

What makes it any better? Rogan said that Lullo was not using it properly at one moment.  Alright, well which MMA fighter is using it properly and where has it worked for him?

Responses

jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

11.23.2010 | 12:04 PM ET

check out round two of george sotiropoulos vs. joe daddy stevenson from ufc 110 in sydney.

sots basically demonstrates the perfect use of the rubber guard.  he's on the bottom, so first he ties joe daddy up in mission control and protects himself.  then he traps joe's right arm and drives it to the canvas. as soon as he does that, he switches into an omoplata, sweeps joe, and ends up in side control on top. he does all of that without receiving a single punch from joe. plus george was against the cage almost the entire time, making it quite a bit more difficult than it otherwise would have been.

but the fact of the matter is george has much better jiu-jitsu than most of the guys pulling rubber guard. he knows what he is aiming to accomplish with it and how to get there. a lot of guys are just holding on to it for dear life and not going anywhere, and that's why it's been ineffective for them.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

11.23.2010 | 1:09 PM ET

It was probably worth it for Lullo because it was the only time in the fight where he wasn't getting the crap beat out of him. If you can use it offensively it's good, a lot of fighters have been using it to merely stall.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : IBJJF World Championship 2024 Full Preview
  • MMA Mania : Live! Brooke Vs VanZant Press Conference Video!
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: Gegard Mousasi through the years
  • MMAFighting.com : Misfits Boxing 15: Paige VanZant vs. Elle Brooke press conference video
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia responds to positive 'B' sample with social media outburst: 'I F*CKING LOVE STEROIDS'
  • MMAFighting.com : Carlos Ulberg steps in to face Jamahal Hill in UFC 303 co-main event
  • MMA Mania : Hill Gets New Opponent For UFC 303
  • MMA Junkie : With Khalil Rountree out, Carlos Ulberg steps in to face Jamahal Hill at UFC 303
  • MMA Mania : Updated! UFC 303 Fight Card, PPV lineup
  • MMAFighting.com : Ben Askren confused what Chael Sonnen is doing against Anderson Silva: ‘I don’t know why you’re boxing’
  • MMA Junkie : Bassil Hafez eager to 'beat the sh*t out of' Mickey Gall at UFC 302, show he's better than debut loss
  • Middle Easy : PFL Founder Donn Davis Disses Kayla Harrison’s Move to the UFC, Dubs Her a ‘Follower Who Needs Validation’
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Garcia’s legal team responds to positive B-sample results for Devin Haney fight
  • Bad Left Hook : Ryan Garcia’s B-sample also positive, legal team releases statement
  • MMA Junkie : Miranda Maverick: 'Pretty girl on Instagram' Tracy Cortez doesn't deserve UFC ranking
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Kayla Harrison, Comedian Che Durena
  • Middle Easy : Paddy Pimblett is Not Thrilled About Fighting ‘Sh*t Human Being’ Bobby Green at UFC 304 in Manchester
  • MMA Mania : Garcia Returns Positive ‘B Sample,’ Goes Nuts On Twitter
  • MMAFighting.com : BTL: McGregor speaks, Usyk beats Fury, UFC Vegas 92 and Bellator Paris, UFC star building
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Between the Links LIVE NOW