Topic: Penn vs. Fitch

Penn vs. Fitch Prediction Commentary

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,622  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,552
  • Post Score: 60

11.22.2010 | 8:54 AM ET

Prediction: Fitch  |  Decision

This is the official prediction commentary thread for Penn vs. Fitch. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 2

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

01.16.2011 | 1:14 PM ET

Billy, that incorrect what you stated about Fitch lacking GSP strength. In fact he might even be stronger.  Fitch lacks GSP speed and explosiveness. GSP and Fitch both have made statements saying he not stronger. 

"here I come to save the day"

Tylermeadows
Tylermeadows
  • Predictions:  13  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 200

01.21.2011 | 9:28 AM ET

Prediction: Penn  |  KO/TKO  |  Round 2

Bj penn has this
offshoredawn
offshoredawn
  • Predictions:  72  |  43.1%
  • Forum Posts:  38
  • Post Score: 74

01.23.2011 | 1:46 PM ET

Prediction: Penn  |  Submission  |  Round 3

I get to see this live! Hope Penn can halt the grinder..

"MMA - It's a Sport"

RedDeadPenn
RedDeadPenn
  • Predictions:  210  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  88
  • Post Score: 88

01.27.2011 | 4:23 PM ET

Prediction: Penn  |  KO/TKO  |  Round 2

Gotta go with the Prodigy. But if he wins this fight, where does he go from here? Fitch is obviously the 2nd best guy in the division but the UFC wont give BJ another shot at GSP.

"No cheese at all?!? I love pizza and pizza have cheese!"- Rampage Jackson

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

01.27.2011 | 4:38 PM ET

Prediction: Penn  |  Decision

Actually I could see them doing BJ vs GSP 3.  Would be easy for them to market it.  It's not the fight I'm most interested in, but if they didn't have any other good options I could see them doing this.

"I live, I die, I live again."

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

01.28.2011 | 8:21 AM ET

It would be awsome if they did that.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

HavokDM
HavokDM
  • Predictions:  9,733  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,047
  • Post Score: 199

01.29.2011 | 10:43 AM ET

This is an intriguing match-up.  Fitch is a solid grinder.  Penn has good skills and when he brings his "A" game, it's fun to watch.  However, it usually depends on which Penn shows up.  It seems like Penn has decided finally to fight at his potential.  I calling this one to be a three round war.  If BJ can't get by Fitch, I don't see him beating GSP.
By the way, it seems like Matt Hughes is going to be helping BJ prepare for Fitch.  Definately can't hurt his chances any. 

Comment by BJ Penn
one thing is for sure about hughes!! hes coming to help me train for fitch!!!!!

"Nothing in this world is a gift. Whatever must be learned must be learned the hard way."

mmauler666
mmauler666
  • Predictions:  6,572  |  58.8%
  • Forum Posts:  22
  • Post Score: 186

02.01.2011 | 6:50 PM ET

Penn

If BJ just goes for submissions ,he will catch him.He needs to focus on submitting him instead of trying to knock him out.

"You are like a speck in the desert"

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

02.01.2011 | 6:53 PM ET

I can't remember the last time I saw BJ actually go for a takedown. Would be good to see him mix it up and keep guys more off balance, but at the same time he might have a decent striking advantage over Fitch. I don't know who to pick in this fight.

"I live, I die, I live again."

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

02.02.2011 | 3:15 AM ET

There's that always constant variable with BJ Penn, is he going to come out with that "look in his eye" like he did against Hughes the first and third times and like he did when he fought Sherk and Stevenson. Or is he going to look unmotivated like he did against Frankie. It seems to me that when BJ has that look in his eye he's unstoppable. I still think Fitch grinds him to a decision.

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

02.06.2011 | 11:48 AM ET

I love Baby Jay, but Fitch is too big and too strong for him. His chin is solid, so I really don't see B.J. dropping him. Fitch does need to be careful of B.J's sub attempts but he knows that. Fitch via not too exciting decision.

"Frig off, bud"

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,712  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

02.06.2011 | 4:01 PM ET

Bj by late sub.  He'll put a fight up with fitch having top position most of the fight and bj will get a sub, likely an armbar but maybe a triangle.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

02.06.2011 | 4:27 PM ET

I'll always bet on a decision for Fitch as long as he's not fighting GSP.

I think Fitch is going to be the bigger fighter and he will be able to take BJ down and keep him there.  There's the chance that BJ can submit Fitch, but I find it highly unlikely.  Fitch is a fighter who likes to grind fighters down on the ground, so he didn't get to 13 - 1 in the UFC without having great submission defence.

BJ looked good against Matt Hughes, but it was a 21 second fight and Matt Hughes is known as a slow starter so I'm not going to act like BJ is suddenly going to be a force at WW.  If a fighter as small as Frankie Edgar was able to take down BJ like that, there's no doubt in my mind that fighters like Fitch can do it too.  I really feel like BJ's going to have trouble with the elite WWs in the UFC.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

02.06.2011 | 4:55 PM ET

This fight is basically for a vacant title now, lol. GSP is going to have to move up to 185 if he beats Shields and if he vacates his belt, the winner of this fight probably won't have trouble with rest of the division, and should become a dominant champ. 

"We Are All One"

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,712  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

02.07.2011 | 7:14 AM ET

good point minotauro, I hadnt really been thinking about the title picture with gsp moving up.  I was more thinking if i could get excited for gsp bj 3.  
and @lynxguy, i think frankie's speed and pace had more to do with his success against bj than anything else.  Not to take anything away from frankie because he did make it his fight and he won both times, but i think bj is the more skilled fighter.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

02.07.2011 | 7:22 AM ET

I can't see BJ winning this fight, Fitch is grinder and that's always been BJ's weakness. I think BJ will take round one with some effect boxing and TD defense, but he'll be too tired to withstand Fitch's grappling pace, strength, and cardio. I don't see Fitch becoming anymore exciting during fight either. This will be another big DEmotivator for Penn and who knows what comes next for him. The guy has lost twice two the WW and LW current champions and the last one too each champ was extremely decisive. Even if BJ would earn his shot, i would be completely uninterested  a rematch with GSP and the only reason i'd watch it is for the joy of watching him get stomped again.

jsebag
jsebag
  • Predictions:  670  |  64.0%
  • Forum Posts:  151
  • Post Score: 42

02.07.2011 | 7:48 AM ET

To be honest I don't think BJ has the size to compete against Fitch.  He will get grinded out to a decision as boring as we all know it will be.  BJ in my eyes has always been overrated...great talent but never achieved his true potential.  There is always a chance that BJ can catch Fitch with KO; however I just don't see it happening unless it happens within the start of each round.

"To be the man you have to beat the man"

ksturdiv
ksturdiv
  • Predictions:  2,225  |  55.9%
  • Forum Posts:  87
  • Post Score: 47

02.07.2011 | 7:55 AM ET

@jsebag I would agree except BJ has fought against 205ers so I'm pretty sure size will not be one factors

"Live, Love, Fight"

Mark Hoxie
Mark Hoxie
  • Predictions:  947  |  57.3%
  • Forum Posts:  32
  • Post Score: 59

02.07.2011 | 8:01 AM ET

BJ is a legenday fighter but he's been flat lately save for a win over a washed up Matt Hughes. Fitch will show up, the only question is whether or not the real BJ will.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." - Benjamin Franklin

vanwham
vanwham
  • Predictions:  206  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 67

02.07.2011 | 8:14 AM ET

I'm pulling for BJ but I just don't see this being a good matchup for him. Fitch's size and strength combined with his wrestling skills equals a bad night for Penn. BJ has fought bigger guys but when they use their size to grind on him, which is Fitch's game, it just leads to a tired and beaten BJ Penn.

"Boy, the next word that comes out of your mouth better be some brilliant Mark Twain stuff. 'Cause it's definitely getting chiseled on your tombstone."

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Report: Ryan Garcia tests positive for banned PED
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301's Steve Erceg aware of unusual title shot opportunity, still feels pressure to win
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 fight card: Pantoja vs. Erceg
  • UFC.com : UFC Championship Fights That Have Happened In Rio de Janeiro
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Pereira takes down Daniel Cormier in UFC 301 hallway tussle
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Alex Pereira forces Daniel Cormier to plead for help with takedown: 'Stop this guy'
  • Middle Easy : Canelo Alvarez and Oscar De La Hoya Nearly Throw Hands in Heated Press Conference Confrontation
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 Embedded, episode 3: ‘I could fight right now’
  • MMA Mania : Video: Cormier Saved By Security From Pereira Manhandling
  • Middle Easy : Paige VanZant Not Looking Past Fellow OnlyFans Star Elle Brooke: ‘I’m Gonna Get Ready For War’
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith no longer 'blinded' by title goal before UFC 301: 'I'm almost carrying an anchor with me'
  • MMAFighting.com : Stephen A. Smith ‘disgusted’ at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson being sanctioned as pro bout
  • MMA Mania : Video: Canelo Confronts And Blasts ‘F—king P—sy’ De La Hoya
  • MMA Junkie : Canelo Alvarez goes off on 'f*cking p*ssy' Oscar De La Hoya, separated mid-press conference
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo Alvarez erupts on ‘f*cking asshole’ Oscar De La Hoya, duo separated in profane presser exchange
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo Alvarez, Oscar De La Hoya separated after profane presser exchange; Alvarez erupts
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘He tried to steal money and he’s a f—ing a—hole’: Canelo steps to Oscar at press conference
  • UFC.com : Meet Featherweight Kaan Ofli | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Omran Chaaban | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Meet Featherweight Edwin Cooper | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko