Topic: Bellator Discussion

Bellator Signs Another Amatuer Wrestler in Tyrell Fortune

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

08.19.2015 | 6:21 PM ET

Link

By Marc Raimondi

Bellator has signed yet another standout amateur wrestler.

With Aaron Pico and Ed Ruth already under contract, Bellator MMA has brought in Tyrell Fortune, one of the top heavyweight wrestlers in the world, sources told MMAFighting.com on Wednesday.

Fortune, 25, currently trains out of the Blackzilians in Boca Raton, Fla., and is a member of the U.S. national wrestling team. The Portland, Ore., native is a former NCAA Division II champion at Grand Canyon University in Arizona and was named the 2013 Division II wrestler of the year. Fortune was also a two-time NJCAA champion at Clackamas (Ore.) Community College.

Fortune will attempt to qualify for the 2016 Summer Olympics at the trials next April. He plans on making his MMA debut for Bellator in 2016, sources said.

Bellator has made signing stud wrestlers a high priority. Ruth, a three-time Division I wrestling champion at Penn State, was signed in May. Pico, who is still only 18 years old, was inked in November. Both are also Olympic hopefuls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts?

"..."

Responses

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

08.19.2015 | 11:16 PM ET

check out pico at the junior worlds on United wrestling youtube channel ... The kid is fighter amo

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,503  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

08.20.2015 | 6:57 AM ET

Interesting addition.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

08.20.2015 | 9:49 PM ET

ufc needs to sign Spencer Lee, if Spencer wants, he will be the greatest mma flyweight (bantamweig

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

nogfan
nogfan
  • Predictions:  15,253  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,269
  • Post Score: 199

08.20.2015 | 10:58 PM ET

Spencer Lee isn't getting signed to the UFC. God no, he's staying with wrestling and he's going to get us some more junior world titles and by 2020 be ready to get olympic medals. 
nogfan
nogfan

08.20.2015 | 11:00 PM ET

Pico isn't taking the olympic spot from Metcalf in all honesty, Metcalf is more refined in his pressuring style and has much more nuance in dealing with guys at the senior world level then Pico and Ruth is #2 guy in U.S. and Herbert seems to have figured him out. So yeah they're Olympic hopefuls but not surefire Olympians. 
Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

08.20.2015 | 11:05 PM ET

Yo Nogfan, you have idea if Artur Taymazov is competing in the 2016 Olympic Games?

Also, have you seen the training videos of Bilyal Makhov at KDojo?

Also, Also, do you have any idea why Amir Aliakbari pulled out of his MMA debut at the last minute after training at AKA Thailand for over a year, having a Muay Thai bout and getting an MMA manager?

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

08.20.2015 | 11:26 PM ET

I love that Bellator actually tries to mine make their own stars. Yes, most of their big names are UFC castoffs (and they'd be stupid not to sign those guys), but they've always tried to find the next big guy, especially in Russia. Russia and wrestlers.
nogfan
nogfan

08.21.2015 | 12:16 AM ET

Taymazov is retired. Makhov haven't seen his tape at KDojo but look forward to russia's decision on whether they'll put him in at freestyle even though he's #6 at greco. From what i can gather is the other guy most likely **** his pants after hearing that he'd have to fight against Aliakbari as would I.  
Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

08.21.2015 | 12:35 AM ET

It actually appears Aliakbari pulled out last minute, as they had to find a short notice replacement for his opponent who still fought and I can't find any news on what's next for him. With the new drug testing policies in the UFC and everything else with Aliakbari he's probably just another wash out top wrestler who couldn't make the transition...but I hope I'm wrong. I think Cejudo is about to get worked real badly by all the top Flyweights

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

08.22.2015 | 5:55 AM ET

@nogfan who's the guy in your pic that beat alieyv ? ? ? usa wrestlers are the definition of emb

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

08.22.2015 | 5:56 AM ET

I really like the Cuban/japanese elusive counter style, but when it comes to bite down embrace the grind , usa guys are in their own league 

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,503  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

08.23.2015 | 10:01 AM ET

So Pico and Ruth will most likely fight in Bellator if they not make the Olympics? What I mean is right after the trials.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 bonuses: Michel Pereira snags extra $50,000 for monster finish of Ihor Potieria
  • UFC.com : Bonus Coverage | UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • MMA Mania : Bonuses! Back-Flipping Pereira Banks $50K
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 PPV Results, Streaming Updates
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 results: Alexandre Pantoja ekes by Steve Erceg to retain title in thrilling five-round battle
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia full fight video highlights
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 bonuses: The Force is $50,000 strong with Mauricio Ruffy
  • MMA Junkie : Canelo Alvarez drops, beats overmatched Jaime Munguia to retain 168-pound title
  • MMA Mania : Resurgent Aldo Teases Second Run At UFC Title
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘Canelo carried him’: Pros react to Canelo Alvarez humbling undefeated Jaime Munguia
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexandre Pantoja fends off valiant challenge from Steve Erceg to retain title in UFC 301 main event
  • Middle Easy : Alexandre Pantoja Outsmarts Steve Erceg To Razor-Close Decision, Retains Title – UFC 301 Results (Highlights)
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘I just didn’t see it’: Pros score Alexandre Pantoja vs. Steve Erceg at UFC 301
  • MMA Junkie : Social media reacts to Alexandre Pantoja's title defense over Steve Erceg at UFC 301
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Watch UFC 301 Post-Fight Presser Here
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Canelo carried him the whole fight’: Bud Crawford and more pros react to Canelo vs Munguia
  • MMA Mania : Highlights! Canelo Hands Munguia First Career Knockdown
  • Bad Left Hook : Canelo drops Jaime Munguia, wins clear decision to retain titles: Highlights
  • MMA Mania : Canelo Dominates For Decisive Title Defense
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 Results, Full ‘Prelims’ Play-By-Play