Topic: McGregor vs. Poirier

McGregor vs. Poirier

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,619  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,552
  • Post Score: 60

07.22.2014 | 8:54 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for McGregor vs. Poirier. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 5

slamdistraction
slamdistraction
  • Predictions:  702  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  249
  • Post Score: 117

09.25.2014 | 11:38 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Poirier   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

Yeah but at this point there's almost as much in it for being the guy who could see he wasn't as good as everybody seemed to think right? Haha

"Beating people up is a positive thing –Tank Abbott"

AllHailKrull
AllHailKrull
  • Predictions:  1,522  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,672
  • Post Score: 180

09.26.2014 | 12:13 AM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   wrong Decision  

Watched that McGregor video on the UFC channel and loved how not even he could say something bad about Edgar.

"People say ‘oh, so you should retire.’ Yeah, you want me to retire so you won’t get knocked out. - Vitor Belfort"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

09.26.2014 | 12:26 AM ET

Let's be honest, what in the actual **** can McGregor say that's bad about Frankie Edgar?

I know I'm one of the only people in the world who believes this, but Frankie Edgar is one of the top 10 greatest fighters of all-time without a doubt.

"الله أكبرl"

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

09.26.2014 | 12:37 AM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Frankie top 10 best evah? No. In your opinion, sure but in a general opinion it has to.be through record, performance and accomplishments, Frankie falls very short. 

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

Nomad
Nomad

09.26.2014 | 1:19 AM ET

I need more downvotes, logic and truth is too much for you braniacs.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

09.26.2014 | 1:24 AM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   correct KO/TKO   correct Round 1  

Anik, I don't think you're alone in that. I completely agree. The fact that he fought way above what modern fighters would consider his "natural" weight class for most of his career and was a champ attests to that. 

Hell, I scored both Bendo fights for him, particularly the second. First was a toss-up. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Nomad
Nomad

09.26.2014 | 1:52 AM ET

But being.more successful at 155 than 145 can attest to him being better suited at higher weight classes with him abusing his natural advantages better than most? It doesn't make you greater if you're small, being big has as many drawbacks and it's just a bias outlook.

I agree Frankie won the 2nd.Bendo fight, the first.Bendo and Penn fight...who knows.  He lost to Aldo.and looked bad vs Oliveira. If you ask me, OF all time I debatable but you're putting him in there over Liddell, Hughes, BJ Penn, Velasquez, Royce, Weidman(with a win over Vitor comfortably is above Edgar), Shogun, Sakuraba, ect ect as GSP, Fedor, Anderson, Jones and Aldo.can't really.be.argued as.above him.

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

09.26.2014 | 2:00 AM ET

Fighting a weight class above may have been an advantage in his case. No weight cutting giving him a clear cardio advantage and his speed advantage. Just like he won the Bendo fights, refs could've easily stopped at least one of the Maynard fights (earlier stoppages happen on a weekly basis) so coulda-woulda shouldn't be in these kinds of discussions. Top 10 all-time is a bit more clear cut, imo.

Frankie hasn't looked too hot at 145 either, not bad but definitely not too hot and you guys are saying top 10 all-time, and I think I saw you (@skelli) say in another thread that you don't think he beats Cub Swanson because he relies on his speed advantage too much (I may be wrong). Top 10 all-time isn't considered a favourite to beat Cub Swanson while in his prime? A tad contradictory. I know styles make fights, but if you're putting someone in the all-time top 10 list he's supposed to transcend that rule. At least in his prime, at least when not fighting another dude who's in the top 10 all-time list or current top 10 p4p list (please don't tell me Cub's top 10 all-time too).

Don't get me wrong, Frankie is awesome in so many ways and definitely one of the best the game has ever seen, but I think he's fringe top 10 all-time but doesn't quite make the cut. A guy who has very little chance to get the belt in both the divisions he's fought in while he's still in his prime can't be top 10 all-time ... 

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

09.26.2014 | 2:14 AM ET

By the way, I noticed McGregor doesn't ever throw Frankie's name when shooting down all top featherweights before and thought about it a while back too ... I think it's because Conor knows that **** won't phase Edgar or get into his head. McGregor has a lot of respect for most fighters but he treats them all as rivals and starts getting into their heads using their egos as the entry point long before they actually fight.

That way he both gets them on board selling the fight when they do meet (because now they hate him) and has what he considers the first advantage and first step to getting the mental edge.

He's smart enough to know that **** doesn't really work on Frankie and would most likely be shrugged off by a level-headed vet who's been to the show a few times.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

09.26.2014 | 2:30 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Poirier   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

Was such a tense staredown I can't wait for this! It's gonna be so sick. Poirier seems fired up but I hope Mcgregor isn't in his head too much.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

09.26.2014 | 8:29 AM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   correct KO/TKO   correct Round 1  

NO... NO... NOTORIOUS!

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

Anik
Anik

09.26.2014 | 8:56 AM ET

@Nomad Oh it's definitely my opinion. I'm actually kinda shocked that I got 6 thumbs up whereas you got 4 thumbs down for what you said, I did NOT expect that. Until today, I was sure that the consensus agreed with you but now, I don't know.

I remember like a year ago when I said the same thing and I was thumbed down to oblivion, it's kind of weird how people's opinions change so drastically in such little time.

Regardless of the advantages given with no weight cut there are a very select few who have managed to have success without cutting weight; if the advantages of not cutting weight were very high, more fighters would do it don't you think? I mean, how many other fighters from the modern era do you know that have had a decent amount of success without cutting weight? Frankie Edgar, Dan Henderson and Jake Shields, I can't think of anyone else. In my eyes, Frankie Edgar is like an American Kazushi Sakuraba only he's been able to stay at an extremely high level for a very long time.

Just think about it, Frankie Edgar has NEVER fought someone of his size before. He's a small featherweight and he's one of the smallest (if not the smallest) lightweight ever. Despite this, he's managed to be a champion and remain in the top 2 of his division for a long time. He gave the best fighter in the world the hardest fight of his career while giving up a huge size advantage. Despite being 32 years old Frankie Edgar is still a force to be reckoned with it, and Conor McGregor knows that.

Frankie Edgar is the ****. Don't **** with Frankie Edgar.

"الله أكبرl"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

09.26.2014 | 9:26 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Poirier   wrong Decision  

Edgar is underrated. I believe he beat Be do the second time. He is also as tough as they come.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Anik
Anik

09.26.2014 | 9:50 AM ET

If Frankie Edgar went back up to 155 he'd be the champion again, no doubt about it; I think he and Aldo can beat Anthony Pettis with ease to be honest.

Again, another unpopular opinion but I honestly believe that without a doubt.

"الله أكبرl"

TheTnuggs
TheTnuggs
  • Predictions:  2,963  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  667
  • Post Score: 197

09.26.2014 | 9:56 AM ET

^ I agree 100%  Edgar would Wrestle**** the **** out of Pettis

"As swift as wind, as silent as forest, as fierce as fire, as unshakeable as mountain"

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

09.26.2014 | 9:58 AM ET

Edgar vs Khabib = cum pants.

"Frig off, bud"

Anik
Anik

09.26.2014 | 10:18 AM ET

People seem to forget that Clay Guida schooled Anthony Pettis like 3 fights before Pettis became champion, and Guida isn't even that great of a wrestler.

Edgar vs Khabib would be an extremely hard fight to call and I'm not the man to do so.

"الله أكبرl"

TheTnuggs
TheTnuggs
  • Predictions:  2,963  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  667
  • Post Score: 197

09.26.2014 | 10:34 AM ET

I love how the guida fight gets brushed under the rug.  We all know Pettit can't wrestle.  The first high level wrestler he fights he loses IMHO.  I don't see him getting a submission off on a guy like khabib.

"As swift as wind, as silent as forest, as fierce as fire, as unshakeable as mountain"

Anik
Anik

09.26.2014 | 10:46 AM ET

At least give Pettis credit where credit is due, he is excellent off of his back.

He's also a extremely high level athlete (arguably the most athletic in the UFC, next to Jones and Weidman of course) so for all that we know, his wrestling could be 10x better than it was 4 fights ago.

"الله أكبرl"

FantasyMMA
FantasyMMA
  • Predictions:  278  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  712
  • Post Score: 145

09.26.2014 | 11:38 AM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

I think Pettis is overrated off his back. I called the Guida loss and was flamed hard for it before the fight. He is good for sure, and very opportunistic; but IMO if some one has him down and just minds their Ps and Qs they will be fine. I think he was have a great fight with anyone though cause he is just a really good fighter. His striking is some top notch stuff. I think he will have problems with any high level wrestler though. 

Edgar is an awesome fighter, but for a guy whose entire fight game is based on his speed and toughness aging is going to be very hard. I think he will begin to slide in the next couple years, maybe sooner.

Can't wait for this fight though. HELL YEAH!

Page 5

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : Anthony Hernandez out of UFC 302 fight with Roman Dolidze
  • Middle Easy : Francis Ngannou Shares Heartbreaking Message Following the Tragic Death of His 18-Month-Old Son
  • MMA Mania : ‘Nicolau Had Only What He Deserved’
  • MMAFighting.com : Clay Collard vs. Mads Burnell to headline PFL event in Salt Lake City in June
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 medical suspensions: 5 fighters potentially out 180 days
  • MMA Junkie : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 medical suspensions: Mike Perry faces 60 days off after 60-second bout
  • MMA Mania : Hughes Debut Set For Bellator Dublin
  • MMAFighting.com : Jorge Masvidal rips Jake Paul for MMA callout: ‘You can’t even box, now all of a sudden you’re doing f*cking MMA?’
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev says he has the key for an 'easy fight' vs. Dustin Poirier: 'It's worst style for this guy'
  • UFC.com : UFC 301 Embedded | All Episodes
  • MMA Junkie : Francis Ngannou's 15-month-old son dies; ex-UFC champ expresses heartbreak on social media
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Great opportunity to make a name for myself’: Munguia looks forward to showdown with Canelo
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Great opportunity to make a name for myself’: Jaime Munguia looks forward to showdown with Canelo
  • MMA Mania : Ngannou Issues Statement After Son Passes
  • MMAFighting.com : Francis Ngannou tragically loses 15-month-old son, MMA world mourns
  • MMAFighting.com : Francis Ngannou tragically loses 18-month-old son, MMA world mourns
  • MMA Junkie : Francis Ngannou's 18-month-old son dies; ex-UFC champ expresses heartbreak on social media
  • MMA Junkie : Ivana Petrovic felt Na Liang 'didn't want to be there anymore' ahead of UFC on ESPN 55 finish
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Says BMF Title Is A Must For Ilia Topuria vs. Max Holloway, Eyes Silver Strap Himself
  • MMA Mania : Is Everyone Scared Of MVP?