Topic: Hunt vs. Nelson

Hunt vs. Nelson

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,622  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,553
  • Post Score: 60

05.02.2014 | 8:10 AM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Hunt vs. Nelson. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 2

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

05.04.2014 | 7:24 AM ET

Prediction: correct Hunt   wrong Decision  

Hunt via having more weapons and still dangerous after he gasses (where as Roy usually just survives after he gasses).

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

flOw _
flOw _

05.04.2014 | 8:28 AM ET

Agreed with @yoss, Hunt can rely on a few more tools in the later rounds whereas Roy pretty much relies on the right hand once he gasses. I can still see this going both ways if Nelson manages to take him down.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 month, 3 weeks, 19 hours, and 8 minutes from now.
yossgold
yossgold

05.04.2014 | 8:37 AM ET

I'd agree with you if I remembered the last time Roy went for a takedown :)

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

flOw _
flOw _

05.04.2014 | 9:49 AM ET

I think he went for several takedowns on Daniel Cormier.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 month, 3 weeks, 19 hours, and 8 minutes from now.
yossgold
yossgold

05.04.2014 | 9:57 AM ET

Yeah, but those were desperation takedowns ... he goes for them when he's being outclassed and is gassed and doesn't tend to get them (for those exact reasons), I'm pretty sure he won't get them against Hunt either. When Roy's still with gas he'll always hunt for the one punch KO.

Anyway, it'll be fun watching these two fatties trying to knock each other's heads off, and granite chins or not, in that weight class with those specific individuals involved any one of them could get it at any point in the fight.

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

05.04.2014 | 10:51 AM ET

This fight sounds amazing. My head goes with Mark Hunt, who is one of the best heavyweight strikers in MMA history but my heart is with my man, Roy Nelson.

I think both of these guys are going to gas if this is a five round fight, and while I do think that these two have the best chins in the heavyweight division, I can definitely see Nelson knocking out Hunt (but not the other way around). This is an interesting fight, I can't wait.

"الله أكبرl"

yossgold
yossgold

05.04.2014 | 11:12 AM ET

"I can definitely see Nelson knocking out Hunt (but not the other way around)"

@Anik, I was thinking the same thing (hence my decision pick). I just can't see Roy knocked out by anyone, ever. Guy's have literally gassed themselves out because they were beating him so badly, but if he connects on Hunt I can see him eventually going down even though he's got a granite chin too.

* Edited at 05.04.2014, 11:12 AM ET *

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

05.04.2014 | 11:18 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Nelson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

I'm thinking this could look a lot like Hunt/Bigfoot. Both guys hit ridiculously hard but both are almost impossible to KO. With a full camp behind big country I have to go with him.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

flOw _
flOw _

05.04.2014 | 11:25 AM ET

I don't know man, this fight seems way to good to be true. It's one of those ultra rare once in a lifetime things which fans have been eager for, for a long time. I have a gritty feeling one of these fighters will get injured. Fingers crossed. 
mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

05.04.2014 | 6:08 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Nelson   wrong Submission   wrong Round 1  

Why not? Arlovski knocked Nelson out, anyone can be KO'd

Even Hendo showed that he could be finished. As did Hunt against Manhoef.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 3 days, 4 hours, and 35 minutes from now.
amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

05.04.2014 | 6:40 PM ET

Prediction: correct Hunt   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 5  

Thought I'd post the Arlovski/Nelson fight for anyone who hasn't seen it since mikey brought it up. Just watched it for the first time today.

mikeyg
mikeyg

05.04.2014 | 7:32 PM ET

Maybe they have a point that Nelson's chin is slightly better than Hunt's. 

Hard to pinpoint who's is the best.

He,do, Hunt, Nelson, BJ, Shogun, Rampage, Leben, Diego
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 3 days, 4 hours, and 35 minutes from now.
Anik
Anik

05.04.2014 | 9:53 PM ET

@mikeyg "Even Hendo showed that he could be finished."

But that's not surprising, 'cause Hendo's chin has been **** for awhile; I can't even count the number of times he's been rocked. Hendo's chin is average at best, his heart is where the money's really at.

Best chin in the world is definitely Roy Nelson's. Other than the Arlovski fight, the only time he was ever knocked down was with a Junior Dos Santos body punch, which is a) probably the pound-for-pound hardest body punch in MMA and b) not a strike to the chin.

Mark Hunt's got an incredible chin but he's been knocked down by people before and he recently got knocked out by JDS to boot.

BJ Penn in my eyes has the second best chin ever. BJ is just way too badass, though I think that Edgar could be the first to ever knock him down.

Shogun's got heart but his chin is average like Hendo's.

Rampage has a beast of a chin, I can't even tell you when he was knocked down last. Rampage is da bomb.

Chris Leben's chin faded with time, but in his prime no one was more devastating while receiving punches than Leben.

Diego Sanchez has an amazing chin too.

I'd throw in Jeremy Horn, Cabbage Correira, Junior Dos Santos, Anderson Silva  and Korean Zombie in there as well.

"الله أكبرl"

2 Nyce
2 Nyce
  • Predictions:  19,158  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,852
  • Post Score: 214

05.04.2014 | 10:05 PM ET

Yeah but you gotta also take into account who Dan was fighting when he got KO'd  He did get an uppercut from hell if I remember right. Popped right back up.
Anik
Anik

05.04.2014 | 10:23 PM ET

I'm not just talking about the Vitor Belfort knockout, I'm talking about the fact that he's rocked in nearly every fight he's been in since joining the UFC.

I've posted about this **** a million ******* times, but I might as well do it again, just not as extensively 'cause I'm ******* tired of it. He got rocked by Shogun in both fights (knocked down twice in the second fight), knocked down twice by Vitor in their second fight, knocked down by Fedor and knocked down by Cavalcante in his last 7 fights.

6 knockdowns in the last 7 fights. That is indicative of a weak chin more than anything.

"الله أكبرl"

2 Nyce
2 Nyce
  • Predictions:  19,158  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,852
  • Post Score: 214

05.04.2014 | 10:29 PM ET

That was actually directed to mikey, but good points either way.
mikeyg
mikeyg

05.05.2014 | 12:21 AM ET

I would probably go with Hendo or Hunt having the best chin, head kicks will KO anyone

But I agree with Anik that Nelson is right up there at #1, #2 or #3 chin

EDIT: When I take chin into account I give big guys a better rank b/c little guys don't get hit as hard. And I think Nelson would also get KO'd by Manhoef honestly, the guy fights in kickboxing as a HW.

* Edited at 05.05.2014, 12:26 AM ET *

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

05.05.2014 | 8:29 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Nelson   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

I say Hunt has a better chin. In the JDS fight, he fell down more out of exhaustion and his broken toe than anything.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

joe kerr
joe kerr
  • Predictions:  242,837  |  68.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,850
  • Post Score: 267

05.05.2014 | 8:55 AM ET

Clearly a broken toe.

"If the enemy rejects the ground, I would take him down by tackle. Why didn’t he [Royler] do so? May I introduce him to a good coach? His tackle was... like a girl’s one... Mr. Royler, how are you feeling?" - Kazushi Sakuraba

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

05.05.2014 | 9:43 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Nelson   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

Yeah, I love Hunt, but he got KTFO.

"Frig off, bud"

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : Paige VanZant eviscerates ‘piece of sh*t’ Dillon Danis in fiery response to accusations 
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I don’t think you can get into Canelo’s head’: Former Golden Boy matchmaker on Oscar beef
  • MMA Junkie : Alexander Volkanovski calls Jose Aldo featherweight GOAT ahead of UFC 301: 'He's how a champion should be'
  • MMAFighting.com : Ronda Rousey writing script for her own Netflix biopic, no longer expected to star in film
  • MMAFighting.com : Oscar De La Hoya ‘definitely going to sue’ Canelo Alvarez for defamation after explosive claims
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 Embedded, episode 4: Jose Aldo, Alexandre Pantoja hang with soccer legend
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith insists there's no personal beef with UFC champ Alex Pereira
  • MMA Mania : ‘Beast’ Mode! Khamzat Now Training With ‘MVP’
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Merab Dvalishvili dig grave for Sean O’Malley, issue UFC 306 challenge
  • MMAFighting.com : Arnold Allen vs. Giga Chikadze set for UFC 304 in Manchester
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I’m definitely going to sue Canelo for defamation’: De La Hoya responds
  • MMAFighting.com : Cedric Doumbe doesn’t want Marc Goddard refereeing his fights again: ‘I don’t like the guy’
  • MMA Junkie : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia: 5 questions (and answers) before boxing showdown
  • Bad Left Hook : Boxing streaming and TV schedule for May 2-4
  • MMA Mania : Mexican Merab Has UF-Si Challenge For ‘Suga’
  • Middle Easy : Kamaru Usman and Henry Cejudo Offer Their Condolences to Francis Ngannou, Preview Jose Aldo’s UFC 301 Return
  • MMA Junkie : Caio Borralho plans to KO Paul Craig at UFC 301, avenge fellow Brazilians: 'I love this matchup'
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexander Volkanovski declares Jose Aldo the featherweight GOAT
  • MMA Mania : Co-op Live Cancelation Chaos!
  • MMA Junkie : Demetrious Johnson aspires to 'box a legend of the sport,' not a fellow MMA fighter