Tapology Forums

WW in UFC

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

jerry5
jerry5
  • Predictions:  1,893  |  56.2%
  • Forum Posts:  179
  • Post Score: 81

07.17.2011 | 12:18 PM ET

It's pretty hard to figure out what's going through Joe Silva's head, but I think I've figured out a way to make some kind of prediction of who will be matched up with whom. Barring injuries and last minute changes, I think there's a tier system where fighters can move up and down based on wins/loses. Depending on how a win/lose happens (and performance) a fighter can move up and down 1 to 2 tiers. For example GSP and Nick Diaz would be in tier 1 since they're fighting for a title, and the next tier would have 3-4 fighters giving the company an option of who can move up. If Condit or Penn (from tier 2) wins, they aren't guarenteed a title shot because of injuries or poor performance (happens all the time) so they have an option to move someone else in tier 2 to that title shot, in this case it's Fitch, until he gets another fight, at that time the second option for the title shot becomes the winner of the Fitch vs. whomever fight.

It's making sense in my head but maybe not in my words. By leaving people without a fight in a tier, that gives the company an option to move
a fighter up or down in competition depending on win/lose or performance. Popularity plays a huge role in the system which is why they try to hold
on match-ups until it makes sense. Which is good for fighters because potentially someone from tier 5 can fight someone in tier 3 if injuries
occur, and with a win that fighter could move up one of two tiers. So even though Brenneman beat someone in tier 3, he's not automatically in
tier 3 because of the performance. Yes it was a dominate win, though conditions were crazy surrounding the fight therefor he's probably in tier 5
or tier 6 but he still fights someone in tier 4 because of his current popularity. He'll probably move up to tier 4 with a win or possibly tier 3
if it's a very impressive win. But he'll still be a minimum of 2 fights away from the tier 1 fight.

TIER 1
GSP vs Diaz

TIER 2
Fitch
Penn vs. Condit (winner moves to t.1)

TIER 3
Kampmann
Shields vs. Ellenberger (Winner moves to t.2)
Sanchez vs Hughes
Story

TIER 4
Alves
Brown
Kim
Hathaway
Brenneman vs Johnson
Pyle vs MacDonald
Lytle vs Hardy

TIER 5
Howard
Almeida
Ebersole vs Hallman
Thiago vs Mitchell
Swick vs Silva
Hendricks vs Pierce
Sadollah vs Ludwig

So by this format, again baring injuries, and considering Silva's ability to make good match-ups, here's what potential match-ups are for fighters without fights.

Fitch vs winner of Shields-Ellenberger
Kampmann vs loser of Penn-Condit or loser of GSP-Diaz
Story vs loser of Penn-Condit or Brown
and so and so forth

"The young grow old, our pain and toys get bigger"

Responses

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

07.17.2011 | 12:24 PM ET

interesting insight on the WW's. just two problems. howard was given the pink slip and almeida has retired. they were tier 5 anyway. :-}
jerry5
jerry5

07.17.2011 | 12:34 PM ET

Was not aware of that, regardless the tier system is constantly changing so it doesn't make much difference who's in or who's out of the organization right now because they are simply replaced.

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

07.17.2011 | 1:16 PM ET

What about KOS?  He is rumored to be fighting in November.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

jerry5
jerry5

07.17.2011 | 1:24 PM ET

True, at MW though. Again, the names change constantly which is what makes sense with a sport like this. The tiers are a reference set in stone whereas the names change

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

07.17.2011 | 2:45 PM ET

Nice man good system!

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

skeet2b
skeet2b
  • Predictions:  8,330  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,703
  • Post Score: 158

07.18.2011 | 4:42 AM ET

the system makes a lot of sence, I think if Condit wins he gets the next shot, and Fitch will get the winner of Shields/Ellenberger

"A true champion, face to face with his darkest hour, will do whatever it takes to rise above. A man fights, and fights, and then fights some more. Because surrender is death, and death is for *******"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

07.18.2011 | 4:54 AM ET

I think Kampmann vs Story is the obvious match up!

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

MegaDave
MegaDave
  • Predictions:  8,102  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,656
  • Post Score: 191

07.18.2011 | 12:17 PM ET

If BJ wins, he'll rematch Fitch and Condit gets loser of Shields/Ellenberger.  If Condit wins, he'll get the titleshot and Fitch will get the winner of Jake/Jake. I agree with Thiago, Story/Kampmann makes good sense.  Also Alves vs Kim or Alves vs Hathaway

"I'm sorry that the brilliance of my words goes over your heads. I'm not going to stop being an eagle just because I am surrounded by turkeys-CS"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

07.18.2011 | 2:24 PM ET

Alves vs Kim sounds good and I think Alves would kill him!

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

07.18.2011 | 4:42 PM ET

I like Alves/Hathaway that sounds like a great fight or Alves/Sanchez after Alves gets a win

* Edited at 07.18.2011, 4:43 PM ET *

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : The History And Significance Of The ADCC Submission Fighting World Championship
  • UFC.com : UFC Announces Multi-Year Partnership With PCYC NSW
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! ‘King’ Of The Jungle?
  • MMA Mania : ‘Put That Whiskey Bottle Down!’ Usman Fires Back At McGregor
  • Middle Easy : Ben Askren Claims Conor McGregor’s ‘Jealous’ Of UFC Rival Khabib: ‘No Money Can Make Up For That’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Be Upset!’ Topuria ‘Too Short’ To Headline Over O’Malley
  • MMA Junkie : USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie rankings, May 21: Patchy Mix, Lerone Murphy move up
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith: Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier 'much closer than a lot of people are giving it credit for'
  • MMA Mania : MMA Prospect Watch: Meet ‘The Punjabi Prince’
  • Middle Easy : Conor McGregor is ‘Cold in the Soul’ for Michael Chandler, Plans to Fight Three Times in 2024
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Curtis Blaydes On Tom Aspinall, Alex Pereira, Was Ciryl Gane A Go For UFC 304?
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 93 card official with 13 bouts
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: Usyk is undisputed, Taylor vs Catterall 2, Canelo’s next fight
  • MMA Junkie : Belal Muhammad explains why he doesn't like 'piece of trash' Sean Strickland
  • MMA Mania : ‘Piece Of Trash’ Strickland Is ‘All Talk’
  • Middle Easy : Dustin Poirier Ready to Knock Islam Makhachev Unconscious at UFC 302: ‘The Ref’s Going to Be Pulling Me Off Him’
  • Middle Easy : Husband and Coach of UFC Fighter Hailey Cowan Arrested, Accused of Sexually Assaulting Minor ‘Hundreds of Times’
  • MMA Junkie : Tom Aspinall says next fight after Curtis Blaydes has to be for undisputed belt: 'I'll wait it out if I have to'
  • MMAFighting.com : Dustin Poirier makes bold prediction for Islam Makhachev fight at UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : McGregor Labels ‘Little R—ard’ Topuria ‘A Non-Champion’