Tapology Forums

GSP vacating title

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

12.13.2013 | 2:30 PM ET

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 1m

GSP: I've decided I need to take time off.

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 55s

GSP: I vacate my title for the respect of the other competitors.

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 37s

GSP: One day, when I feel like it I might come back but I need a break.

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Responses Page 4

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

12.14.2013 | 1:59 AM ET

Georges St. Pierre is a *****? He retired finally after someone did damage? Did you start watching MMA last year? Hello, UFC 58. Not like Georges fought the top guys at the division every year. Not like Alves, Hardy, Hendricks, Condit, Diaz were known to be good strikers and have knockout power. 

Someone people just don't know. 

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

twodragunns
twodragunns
  • Predictions:  31,444  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  335
  • Post Score: 219

12.14.2013 | 2:32 AM ET

If Georges ever returns to the UFC, it will likely be in the MW division, but I think we've seen the last of him as an active fighter. Georges is without a doubt the greatest WW mma fighter of all time and anybody that disagrees is a **** stain with no mma knowledge whatsoever. Georges has fought the very best for a very long time and many fringe fans state that GSP never gets the finish in his title defenses and lay and prays throughout his fights. The way I see this is GSP has always been fighting the best there is and this in itself makes fight finishes much tougher, based on the level of competition GSP has faced. Georges has always fought to his strengths (wrestling base) and this has served him well during his run with the UFC.
Anyone remember the 1st fight with BJ? Georges took a beating in the 1st round and was much more damaged than after the 5 rounder with Hendricks, but he came back and won both of those fights which is a testament to his heart as a champion. Georges can now enjoy new experiences in his private life and not spend most days training at 5 star in Montreal. Hopefully GSP is able to get his passion for the sport back and return once again to entertaining the masses.
mike187
mike187
  • Predictions:  5,660  |  64.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,260
  • Post Score: 239

12.14.2013 | 2:50 AM ET

No matter what any of you say history will look at GSP as ducking. Very bad way to end a great career, a loss would be better.

"He told me he was going to **** me, but was disappointed in himself when he could not get hard."

twodragunns
twodragunns
  • Predictions:  31,444  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  335
  • Post Score: 219

12.14.2013 | 3:42 AM ET

I disagree with your post mike187 ...... Georges has built a legacy few can match and will be remembered as the greatest WW ever. He ducked nobody and came back to beat Hendricks in round 5.
Leaving on top is something any cage fighting champion would want and GSP did this in style.

* Edited at 12.14.2013, 3:44 AM ET *

C_Arnoud
C_Arnoud
  • Predictions:  3,914  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,448
  • Post Score: 200

12.14.2013 | 12:36 PM ET

@Brazillian Jitz ok, i wasn't respectful enough of GSP. I'll retract the for now and say he retires as the best WW ever and one of the best fighters ever.

But i dont retract the fact that i think this hurts his position in the GOAT discussion.
Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

12.14.2013 | 12:44 PM ET

GSP, the idol of MMA, walks off the battlefield the undisputed WW Champion.  Beat all comers, fair and square.

Reminds me of when my baseball idol, Sandy Koufax, walked off the field at the height of his career after the 1966 season.  

Like High Noon, walking away after vanquishing all challengers.  I never got over Sandy walking away.  I doubt if GSP ever comes back.  And even if he did, he would not have his skill set preserved pristine intact, as if under a display case.

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

12.14.2013 | 12:49 PM ET

For a promoter to select 2 candidates for a title fight is not a legitimate process.  Since when does a promoter get to SELECT and APPOINT only 2 candidates?

Legitimate Champions are born of competition, not appointment selected by arbitrary, subjective human judgement.  

Who can say that Hendricks or Lawler could survive a challenge by Condit, Maia, Shields or Kim.  The smotherers often surprise and beat the strikers.  

I am so depressed.  This reminds me of the bad old days of boxing when Don King so horrifically manipulated the sport.  MMA is not being allowed to develop naturally.  It is being twisted and distorted by the UFC's belief that the fans want a certain kind of fight.  So sad.  What a waste of a great potential.

jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

12.14.2013 | 12:51 PM ET

You're overstating your case and your argument is too emotional, but I agree with you, Bill.  There should always be at least a 4 man tournament for vacant titles.

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

12.14.2013 | 12:59 PM ET

It's impossible to put into words what Georges St. Pierre has meant to the sport of mixed martial arts. He was a trailblazer in everything he did. The way he trained, the way he fought and the way he conducted himself. His legacy will truly be defined over time. Many years will pass and with it the realization of what Georges truly meant to the great sport of MMA will be revealed. He is the reason I got into being a fan of MMA. He set himself apart in my opinion not just for his remarkable ability in the cage but the person he is outside of it. In a sport where you are not supposed to talk about fear or any insecurity Georges was open and honest about being scared, not of any man, but letting people down that sacrificed so much of themselves to help him achieve his own dreams. The respect he showed his opponents regardless of what they said about him, the professionalism, the integrity and dignity he showed no matter what situation he was faced with. Being a TRUE champion doesn't end when you walk out of the cage and Georges personified every quality of what it takes to be a TRUE champion. 
The bottom paragraph was taken from Caio Terra's Facebook page. Thought I'd share.

Today GSP retired from the UFC as the current champ, a title he has held for an astonishing 7 YEARS. In his 27 fight career he suffered two losses, both of which he avenged. GSP wasn't just a great champ and fighter he was and still is a great martial artist. He was what was right with MMA, in sport where we celebrate the bad boys, the rowdy girls, and the showmen, he was a gentlemen. He entered the ring in a traditional gi and often did his post fight conferences in suit because it was business. THANK YOU GSP for all the years as a great champ. Your legacy and contribution as a martial artist will never be forgotten!

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

12.14.2013 | 2:05 PM ET

@p4pgoat  Post of the month.  Kudos.  GSP was to MMA what Sandy Koufax, Nolan Ryun, Stan Musial and Cal Ripken were to baseball.  Represented all that was right with the sport.

You're missed already, GSP.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

12.15.2013 | 4:16 PM ET

@Jody  I may well be overdoing it and too emotional.  My MMA idol and favorite fighter has retired and I'm not optimistic he'll come back.  My favorite fights were GSP's and I always looked forward to them.

The best part of my following MMA is gone and I'm very saddened.  I can't help it.  

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

12.15.2013 | 5:02 PM ET

Just because hendricks slowed down in a 3 rd fight does not mean he will if it is 5 rds
 He will prepare for it just like he did with GSP.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Page 4

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• LFA 182 Tapology coverage is now live
  • Nate Smith vs. Christian Ynastrilla - The fighters are making their walk-outs.
  • Join the LFA 182 live discussion
  • Tapology Picks: Nate Smith 10% Christian Ynastrilla 90%
  • Nate "The Savage" Smith (7-4-0) CO, US is the #26th Pro Mens Bantamweight in US Midwest.
  • Christian Ynastrilla (10-4-0) FL, US is the #11th Pro Mens Flyweight in Florida.
  • LFA 182 features 11 MMA bouts
  • The event takes place from Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls, South Dakota