Topic: Overeem vs. Mir

Overeem vs. Mir

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,619  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,552
  • Post Score: 60

11.26.2013 | 7:27 PM ET

Prediction: correct Overeem   correct Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Overeem vs. Mir. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 4

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

02.01.2014 | 5:00 PM ET

Prediction: correct Overeem   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

He's a heavyweight and Reem has always had issues with being able to take a punch. If he connects flush Reem will go to sleep, but I don't see him getting the chance.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 3 weeks, 1 hour, and 40 minutes from now.
yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

02.01.2014 | 5:01 PM ET

Overeem doesn't lose striking battles, he gets KO'd when he gasses, until then he dominates ... Mir won't last that long. If pitter-patter Barnett dropped him do you really think Overeem won't? Do you really see Frank Mir withstanding the beating Travis Browne did?

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

02.01.2014 | 5:16 PM ET

Not only is that not true but Feitosa knocked Overeem out in 2 minutes in K-1.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 1 day, 5 hours, and 36 minutes from now.
CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

02.01.2014 | 5:21 PM ET

Frank Mir's striking =/= K-1 level striking
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 3 weeks, 1 hour, and 40 minutes from now.
yossgold
yossgold

02.01.2014 | 5:22 PM ET

Seriously? that was in 2004!! 10 years and you're using it?? Lets keep our examples post-2010 now shall we? That's like saying JDS is submission prone because that dude without a wiki page submitted him that one time.

Overeem hadn't been KO'd since 2007 (MMA) and 2009 (kickboxing) before the post-high-T/E bust. And I think that since he got nabbed and had to stop whatever the **** he was doing, he showed up with sucky cardio to the Bigfoot and Browne fights and got KO'd. Tell me he wasn't beating them both until he started gasping for air.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,350  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

02.01.2014 | 5:34 PM ET

We all know Jose Aldo would lose to Luciano Azevedo if they fought today.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

mikeyg
mikeyg

02.01.2014 | 5:38 PM ET

Okay, I refuted your point that "Overeem doesn't lose stand-up battles, he get's KO'd when he gasses"...Besides that, the Browne knockout is a legit knockout without any cardio controversy. And if you gas in 4 minutes, time to his the treadmill.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 1 day, 5 hours, and 36 minutes from now.
CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

02.01.2014 | 5:41 PM ET

Rofl, he punched Travis Browne like 70 times in a minute. He was probably a little winded after almost finishing him. Plus his head movement is non-existent nowadays.
mikeyg
mikeyg

02.01.2014 | 5:42 PM ET

Not Browne's fault Overeem didn't keep his hands up.

Also, the second Badr Hari fight was pretty one sided.

* Edited at 02.01.2014, 5:44 PM ET *

mikeyg
mikeyg

02.01.2014 | 5:45 PM ET

While I'm picking Overeem, I won't be as ****y to say Overeem can't be KO'd when he's fresh, because that's obviously not the case, it's happened before, regardless of when it happened, it still can happen, especially with his terrible chin.
CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

02.01.2014 | 5:49 PM ET

His hands were up against Browne. He got kicked in the face between his hands because he doesn't move his head at all anymore.

yossgold
yossgold

02.01.2014 | 5:49 PM ET

@mikeyg, when I wrote that I meant, the Overeem that fights today, not every incarnation of him ever (and god knows he's had a few) ... 

Plus, I think it pretty well goes without saying that I was talking MMA level strikers, so again Badr Hari? Who in the UFC has his striking ...

The only guy in the UFC I think Overeem would lose to on the feet before gassing would be JDS and that's due to hand-speed, not because he has better overall striking.

All of that aside ... Frank Mir isn't the one who'll put that to the test ... maybe if he beats him we get to see JDS get back on the horse with a big win ... he said he's targeting a May comeback ... sound about right to me.

thxas
thxas
  • Predictions:  232  |  65.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 50

02.02.2014 | 6:22 AM ET

Prediction: correct Overeem   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Reem like a boss. :)
Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

02.02.2014 | 7:11 AM ET

Junior, Cain, Cormier and maybe Browne would all ****.Overeem up on the feet. This "K-1" ******** gets old, I saw Aldo train with Souwer, Id.bet my bottom dollar Aldo'd whoop him. I saw Overeem knocked out by Browne and Bigface....Cro Cop was outstruck by Fedor, I saw Barboza, Tiago Michel and countless others outstruck and knocked out...McGregor toys with Hylabd (27-1 pro boxing champ)'in sparring on a regular basis, he'll even tell you that. MMA.is a lot different than Thai or Kickboxing, honesty put an open platform to fight on Raymond Daniels would wreck.all of Glory, a ring abd he gets walked down by most. Oh Chidi taking Simon Marcus to a draw.but Thatch mauling the **** out of Chidi ez.pz says a lot too.

Spong wouldn't outstrike Jones.or Gus.maybe even a few other LHWs, in Glory rules maybe, in Mma even if it stays standing.the.entire.times.theyd.whoop.Spony. Boxers apply too, MMA is more complete striking in a lot of ways...Pettis could whoop Petrosyan standing in that.giant octagon with 4oz gloves, in a ring hed get picked.apart...probably.

Hari is a ************* and a horrible steroid abuser, thats the truth. Overeem knocked him out, lets not act like no one else in MMA could. Look what Mousasi did to Kyotaro,  and that was in in Kyotaroz striking realm, you think because ot k-1or boxing credentials they are on another level? Its just cute I guess. 

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

mmafan2013
mmafan2013
  • Predictions:  106  |  69.8%
  • Forum Posts:  447
  • Post Score: -220

02.02.2014 | 8:12 AM ET

Prediction: correct Overeem   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

i can see overeem beating dos santos still it just wont be as one saided as lots say it will be

"Element Knows"

hamdermjay
hamdermjay
  • Predictions:  1,321  |  64.0%
  • Forum Posts:  512
  • Post Score: 215

02.02.2014 | 9:21 AM ET

The problem now is, that we won't see the same exciting Overeem in the future. He will play it safe from now on and focus on being able to go 3 rounds.

What a shame. I say that Overeem should pull off a "Doffee" everytime he fights. All in first round or all out the two next.
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

02.02.2014 | 10:58 AM ET

Very disappointing fight

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,350  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

02.02.2014 | 11:12 AM ET

I LOL'd so hard at Dana saying he wasn't happy with this fight. Overeem 'disappointed'. What? The guys career was on the line, does that not give him the right to fight safe ONE ******* TIME? Dana can eat ****. Overeem impressed. He dominated every aspect of the fight. He was even willing to get in the guard of Mir and stay there. I don't know If that qualifies as 'playing is safe'.

* Edited at 02.02.2014, 11:14 AM ET *

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Solaris
Solaris
  • Predictions:  1,079  |  65.3%
  • Forum Posts:  52
  • Post Score: 146

02.02.2014 | 12:21 PM ET

Change a barber Dana. That was really cool performance. Great cardio by Alistair. I'm looking forward to see The Reem versus Cigano.

"Life is the biggest party ever. Do everything to not to be a waiter on it."

Page 4

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Covington On ‘Nobody’ Garry: ‘He’s Not Serious’
  • MMAFighting.com : Bryan Barberena announces UFC exit, calls for ‘real brawler’ BKFC battle with Mike Perry
  • MMA Junkie : Austin Hubbard admits he was 'super nervous, stressed out' before UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Junkie : Charly Arnolt details historic impromptu UFC cage announcer role: 'I was scared of messing up'
  • MMAFighting.com : Paddy Pimblett responds to UFC 300 callouts from Renato Moicano, Bobby Green
  • MMA Junkie : 'LokDog' Vinicius Oliveira gets Ricky Simon in first fight since UFC Knockout of the Year candidate
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner Don'Tale Mayes wants quick return on hometown Louisville card
  • MMA Mania : ‘My Style, It’s Worst Style For This Guy Dustin’
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves retires from combat sports after Mike Perry knockout loss at KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Ryan Garcia shows Colby Covington left hooks after Donald Trump meetup in Florida
  • MMAFighting.com : WATCH: Swedish fighter delivers incredible faceplant knockout in pro debut
  • MMA Junkie : GLORY Kickboxing vet Jhonata Diniz ready for 'big names' at heavyweight after UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Mania : Video: Garcia Striking Tips Open Colby’s Third Eye
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Perez on UFC main event knockout: ‘My friends always call me pillow hands, so now they can’t’
  • Middle Easy : Islam Makhachev Says Dustin Poirier Is A ‘Tough Fight’, Wants Arman Tsarukyan Next
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Alex Perez after UFC on ESPN 55 upset win?
  • MMAFighting.com : WATCH: UFC vet Hunter Azure flattens opponent with brutal one-punch knockout
  • Middle Easy : Video: Ryan Garcia Gives UFC Star Colby Covington Quick Striking Tutorial
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Perry thanks Conor McGregor for becoming BKFC owner: 'He's done remarkable things'
  • MMA Mania : ‘Thank You, Man’