Tapology Forums

TAPOLOGY EXCLUSIVE: CEO Bjorn Rebney on Bellator vs. Strikeforce

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

11.08.2010 | 9:54 AM ET

Check it out at the Tapology Blog.

Rebney talks about the barriers currently standing in the way of a co-promotional effort between the two promotions as well as his thoughts on how a superfight between Eddie Alvarez and Gilbert Melendez would go down! Bjorn also discusses some news on Seasons 4 and 5 in 2011.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Responses

Dominic Decoco
Dominic Decoco
  • Predictions:  287  |  56.1%
  • Forum Posts:  115
  • Post Score: 17

11.08.2010 | 1:39 PM ET

I hope they figure out the TV problems.  I like watching bellator but it was never on TV when they said it would be.
skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

11.08.2010 | 2:45 PM ET

Yeah that was a huge let-down. Rebney was pretty frank about it though, so we have to at least hand that to him, but it has to change for Seasons 4 and 5 or Bellator's going to be buried by 2012.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,575
  • Post Score: 275

11.08.2010 | 3:18 PM ET

I love the Bellator product. They really figured out how to set up a tournament in MMA. 

Multiple fights in a night just isn't the right model, but Bellator's version of having 3-4 weeks in between each fight seems to work pretty well. In their first 3 seasons I can't think of a single competitor that advanced but subsequently had to withdraw due to injury.  Maybe a little bit of luck involved, but compare that against the Shine tournament which became an injury-riddled mess.

Hopefully Bellator figures out their TV situation in a way that more people start watching it. It was definitely frustrating for me. As soon as football season started, all the Bellator shows got pre-empted by football analysis shows.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

11.08.2010 | 5:55 PM ET

I like Bellator but even with a TV deal they are hemorrhaging money. They need the Alves vs Melendez fight more than Strikeforce does. Bellator's survival may hinge on their ability to face and defeat Strikeforce champions. Without that Bellator will have a lot of trouble hanging on to investors. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : WBC orders Vargas vs Figueroa title consolidation
  • MMA Junkie : T.J. Dillashaw thinks Cory Sandhagen will be UFC champ if he tops Umar Nurmagomedov
  • MMA Mania : UFC Fans ‘Feel Sorry’ For ‘Desperate’ Darren Till
  • Middle Easy : ‘Fake Little B*tch’ Sean Strickland Snaps Back at Luke Rockhold: ‘I’ll F*ck You Up For Fun’
  • Bad Left Hook : Ayala vs Apolinario vacant title fight reportedly set for Aug. 9
  • Bad Left Hook : Angel Ayala vs Dave Apolinario vacant title fight reportedly set for Aug. 9
  • MMAFighting.com : Bare knuckle, headbutts, and one 30-minute round: IVC plans return with vintage vale tudo rules
  • MMA Junkie : Oscar De La Hoya criticizes those calling for Deontay Wilder's retirement: 'Give the man his respect'
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Diaz Vs. Masvidal Press Conference Video!
  • Middle Easy : Arman Tsarukyan Chokes Out Alligator During Hunt For UFC Title: ‘I Got A License To Kill’
  • MMAFighting.com : Dana White: Conor McGregor at Muhammad Ali’s level when it comes to ‘mental warfare’
  • MMA Mania : Blaydes: ‘Top Heavy’ Jones Not ‘Real’ Champ
  • MMA Junkie : Dustin Jacoby expects best version of Dominick Reyes at UFC on ESPN 57
  • MMA Mania : Beware The ‘Michael Chiesa Curse’
  • MMA Junkie : Post-UFC, Brittney Palmer takes on 'Pony' starring role for feature film debut
  • Middle Easy : Dustin Poirier Reveals His Laundry List of Brutal Injuries Following UFC 302
  • Middle Easy : Curtis Blaydes Accuses Jon Jones of Taking ‘Money Over Prestige’ by Ducking Tom Aspinall
  • MMA Mania : Diaz Vs. Masvidal 2 Costs $79.99 (Seriously)
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White: Islam Makhachev No. 1 pound-for-pound over Jon Jones shows media 'know nothing about this f*cking sport'
  • MMAFighting.com : Between the Links: Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler, UFC 302 fallout, Dana White’s pound-for-pound debate