Tapology Forums

Could ONE FC become the next big international MMA organization?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

themysticalninja
themysticalninja
  • Predictions:  1,219  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,725
  • Post Score: 123

07.13.2011 | 9:51 PM ET

If you beleive (and it's hard not to) various MMA sites, you'll know that Japanese MMA is on life support and seems to be only a matter of time before it's a goner. With this Dream and Sengoku will vanish and for many of us MMA fans, our fix of International MMA will leave us shivering on the floor...at leats till a UFC or Strikeforce show is on that weekend...

*cough* Anyway it looks like ONE FC (One Fighting Championship) is stepping up and it could be the answer to our international MMA addiction. Bloody Elbow beleives they have a good chance of succeeding due to; They have a good concept that can appeal to casual fans, MMA in Singapore is booming, Decline of Japanese MMA, OneFC's business model, They have a huge reach, and reportedly have people with deep pockets backing them. You can find those points explained in detail here: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/7/5/2257770/one-fc-has-the-potential-to-be-the-top-mma-promotion-in-asia

And over at mma-japan.com, they have a bunch of ONE FC details. First is the roster which you can check out here: http://mma-japan.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=773:onefc-reveals-a-deep-roster-of-fighters&catid=50:onefc&Itemid=94
The fighters particpating gives me an impression of a throwbnack to the early days of UFC and MMA

Then there is broadcasting info: http://mma-japan.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=774:onefc-broadcasting-info&catid=50:onefc&Itemid=94
By the sounds of it though, us western folks will have to watch it through streams or...other methods #shiftyeyes

Best news of all is that El Guapo himself Bas Rutten will be part of the commentary team. For me, PRIDE died when Rutten left the commentary and his involvement means I'm even more interested.

And that's that. So interested or is this all "meh" news to you?

"Go get some Donald CER-ROE-NAY!" - Greg Jackson

Responses

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,564
  • Post Score: 275

07.13.2011 | 10:06 PM ET

Could be interesting, we'll see what they announce for a first card. As well as what kind of TV distribution they get.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Dannotheman
Dannotheman
  • Predictions:  9,433  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,406
  • Post Score: 185

07.13.2011 | 10:18 PM ET

I don't recognize any names but I do see a few Gracie's. Interested to see what kind of cards they can put together. All orgs gotta start somewhere.

"God please give me patience, if you give me strength I will just punch them in the face."

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

07.13.2011 | 10:22 PM ET

I'm definitely interested in this promotion...Maybe with Bas in the fold it will be shown on HDNet eventually

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

07.13.2011 | 10:37 PM ET

This is interesting.  Just today I read that Hong Kong's fight promotion, Legend FC (whose events we post for picks here and whose promoters we have spoken to a few times) took on a new investor, the former COO of News Corp.  http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-13/peter-chernin-purchases-stake-in-hong-kong-s-legend-fighting-championship.html  That should give Legend some additional oomph to grow out of Hong Kong while One looks to build its base in Singapore.  Can't be too long before they bump heads.

I also see that One's roster of Gracie fighters -- Gregor, Igor and Rolles -- are the guys based out of Renzo Gracie New York.  They, along with Renzo, used to be affiliated with Art of War, the China-based promotion that hasn't put on a show in almost two years.  Art of War was backed by money out of the middle east, I wonder if One is too.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

07.14.2011 | 12:12 AM ET

I love the fact that MMA has grown the way it has. It gives the fighters more options to prove themselves in the world. Back in the day it was either PRIDE or UFC. Now there's some many good orgs, I think Legends FC could very easily be the next big international MMA org, but then they do have to compete with M-1, DREAM, and ONE.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

07.14.2011 | 12:13 AM ET

Hell, who knows maybe those orgs will combine together and create one great international super organization.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

07.14.2011 | 4:42 AM ET

an international monopoly vs the ufc. who would have thunk it. :-}
themysticalninja
themysticalninja
  • Predictions:  1,219  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,725
  • Post Score: 123

07.26.2011 | 10:59 AM ET

MiddleEasy recently had an interview with the head of the organization, Victor Cui

The questions asked were:
So what's the deal with women fighting in One FC?
How's the heavyweight situation in One FC?
It seems that One FC is going for entertainment over rankings when establishing fights.
How will people outside of Asia be able to see One FC's first event?
We just found out that Shinya Aoki will be in Singapore on September 3rd. How is One FC's relationship with the Japanese MMA scene?

Pretty informative and good as Cui - while obviously providing hyberbole - comes across as a man with ambitious but realistic plans

MMA-Japan also announced the fight card:

Eduard Folayang (Team Lakay) vs Ole Laursen (Legacy Gym) 155lb

Yoshiyuki Yoshida (Jackson's MMA) vs Phil Baroni (AKA) 170 lb

Mitch Chilson (EvolveMMA) vs Eric Kelly (Yaw-Yan Ardigma) 145lb

Gregor Gracie (Team Renzo Gracie) vs Wang Sai (China Top Team) 170 lb

Andy Wang (Grappling Unlimited) vs Zorobabel Moreira 155lb

Undercard

Radeem Rahman (EvolveMMA) vs Susovan Ghosh (Tigers Gym) 125 lb

Soo Chul Kim (Team Force) vs Leandro Issa (EvolveMMA) 135 lb

Vuyisile Colossa (Team Colossa) vs Wang Ya Gi (Extreme Sanda) 155 lb

Daniel Mashamaite (Ultimate MMA/PTT) vs Yodsanan Sityodtong (EvolveMMA) 135 lb

Eddie Ng (EvolveMMA) vs Wu Chengjie (Extreme Sanda) 160 lb Catchweight

* Edited at 07.26.2011, 11:00 AM ET *

"Go get some Donald CER-ROE-NAY!" - Greg Jackson

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Jorge Masvidal reveals he made $5 million to save UFC 251 headliner vs. Kamaru Usman
  • MMA Junkie : Robert Whittaker hopes Jiri Prochazka steers clear of UFC middleweight move because 'then we're enemies'
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch stock car racing champ take UFC 301 prospect for 120 mph ride
  • MMA Mania : Welterweight ‘Do Bronx’?! ‘That Will Lead To Money, History, And Legacy’
  • MMA Junkie : Tom Aspinall says UFC 304 start time 'just not fair' for U.K. fans
  • Middle Easy : Charles Oliveira Insists He Did Enough To Beat Arman Tsarukyan At UFC 300: ‘It’s Very Complex’
  • UFC.com : Exciting Fighters You Might Not Know | UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • UFC.com : Coach Conversation | Alexandre Pantoja vs Steve Erceg
  • Bad Left Hook : Turki Alalshikh targets Wilder vs Anderson on Aug. 3
  • UFC.com : Fighters On The Rise | UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Daniel Cormier gives advice to Ilia Topuria after ‘not coming off great’ in booking first title defense
  • UFC.com : UFC Rankings Report | Week of April 29, 2024
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Step up and face that man’: Bradley says if Canelo has any dignity he’ll face Benavidez
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Step up and face that man’: Tim Bradley says if Canelo has any dignity he’ll take on David Benavidez
  • Middle Easy : Arman Tsarukyan Docked $30k From His Fight Purse After Attempting to Punch a Fan at UFC 300
  • MMA Junkie : Jake Paul, Mike Tyson announce two-city press conference tour for Netflix boxing match
  • MMA Mania : US Maintains Level 2 Travel Advisory For Brazil
  • Middle Easy : Tom Aspinall Reacts To UFC 304’s ‘Absolutely Terrible’ Timing, Offers Solution For UK Fans
  • MMAFighting.com : Claressa Shields’ takeaway from first 3 MMA fights: ‘I have potential to be an MMA champion’
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier uses Dustin Poirier as example to argue Justin Gaethje one win from UFC title shot