Tapology Forums

Greg Jackson

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

PEACE
PEACE

08.31.2013 | 1:58 AM ET

I can't be the only one that sees him as an insufferable fanboy instead of a coach, can I?

Just watching some "old" fight masters because I finally found the time, and jesus christ.  Virtually nothing he does or says could even possibly be viewed as helpful, just an insane amount of "You're doing great"s and blah blah.  What's the point of his fighter slipping, and him screaming "JUST A SLIP"?  

Don't suppose anyone has trained with him or something?  I wonder if this is how he always is?

"I probably think you're a ****."

Responses

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

08.31.2013 | 2:11 AM ET

I don't personally like Greg Jackson, which I think is the general consensus but to see him as an insufferable fanboy rather than a coach? Come on now, it's clear Greg's coaching tactics revolve around positivity and reassurance. Also, it's hard to criticize a coach because it's crucial for the coach to know their fighters very well and establish a strong bond so the coach can actually know how to coach his fighter in the first place because we are all different, receptive and influenced in different ways and by certain things. 

All in all, regardless of Greg rubbing me the wrong way he has coached many amazing fighters who have praised him time and time again so there's no doubt in my mind he's a great coach for the fighters that he does coach. Oh and yes, his cornering is annoying as fook on Fight Master from the little I've watched.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

PEACE
PEACE

08.31.2013 | 2:16 AM ET

"Oh and yes, his cornering is annoying as fook on Fight Master from the little I've watched."

It's really all I've watched to see anything about him personally.  Maybe that's the slight difference in opinion, here.

And for the record, I'm absolutely not saying he's a bad coach.  I guess I worded some things badly.  I meant cornerman not coach in that first sentence, I suppose.  And I used the word fanboy because his style is exactly what my mothers would be (IE, nonstop "good jobs" etc), despite her never having seen a fight, haha.

* Edited at 08.31.2013, 2:21 AM ET *

MQuestionable
MQuestionable
  • Predictions:  7,456  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,603
  • Post Score: 284

08.31.2013 | 2:18 AM ET

I always interpreted his screaming "Just a slip!" to be directed toward the judges, you never know what's going on with those guys.
PEACE
PEACE

08.31.2013 | 2:22 AM ET

Ah, that's entirely possible I suppose, MQuestionable.  Insight like that is why I made a thread about it here, as most of you are more hardcore/knowledgeable than me.  :)

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

08.31.2013 | 2:32 AM ET

The comparison to a mother is a good one I think, when cornering Greg is a very biased coach. Again he focuses on positivity and reassurance. I've seen fighters who clearly lost the round ask Greg if they won it and he'd tell them that they did and that they were beautiful out there. For being such a renowned fight Guru and mental Yoda I always expect him to be a much more strategic and analytical as a corner-man. Greg is very annoying to me. 

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

08.31.2013 | 4:19 AM ET

I find what Greg Jackson does a lot less annoying than the majority of other cornermen/coaches who just scream nonsensical ******** at their fighters hoping to pull some sort of inspirational Rocky moment out of their ass. 

Duke Roufus and John Crouch are two of the best that come to mind. They're calm but serious, very close with their fighters but at the same time also seem to understand that they're not being paid to be their best friend. 

John Kavanagh is also a very very good cornerman but he hasn't had too much opportunity to show it yet in the UFC.

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

PEACE
PEACE

08.31.2013 | 4:49 AM ET

Are you/have you watched Fight Master, jaffa?  He's ramped "himself" up to a whole new level on the show, perhaps just because the sound is so "good" you can even hear his other coaches whisper to him.  

I don't know, there's just something about it that annoys me immensely.  And more over, wouldn't be helpful in the slightest.  He also makes massive stinks about slight errors, when even the fighters themselves don't even mention it at all.  He's a cheerleader on the show, really.

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero

08.31.2013 | 6:00 AM ET

I did and I stopped watching it after about the 3rd or 4th episode..

Technically Greg Jackson really doesn't offer a lot and Mike Winklejohn is the unsung hero of that gym but he isn't atrocious...he just isn't that good either.

What I think was a disgrace in regards to FightMaster was that guy who fought Chris Lozano and was giving Chris a run for his money striking wise only for Greg Jackson saying to his corner "Holy crap he's even winning the kickboxing. I don't believe it" followed by a laugh as if it was all one big joke.

There are better camps in MMA than Jacksons ( The MMA Lab, Roufusport, Alliance, AKA, Tristar, etc..)  but the altitude and pure depressing isolation that NM provides appeals to a lot of very skilled fighters who take their careers very seriously which can only breed success. Compare that to the flip side of the Blackzillians.... quite a ****y group of individuals training in a relaxing paradise.

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

kaonohiokala
kaonohiokala
  • Predictions:  2,496  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  206
  • Post Score: 109

08.31.2013 | 6:40 AM ET

Greg's role cornering in Fight Master is basically to sway the judges.

You got Villefort on the side giving the actual technical advice, but you can't hear him because he's not mic'd up for the camera like Greg is.

"E momole aku ana i Keka‘a ka ua nahua."

Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407
  • Post Score: 241

08.31.2013 | 7:11 AM ET

I wish I could thumb jaffacakehero's post up 10 times.

Anyway, Greg is probably as great of a coach as we think he is, he just refuses to take Fight Master seriously (as if anyone did...)

I find his advice while in the corner very helpful, and he constantly sees/understands things that most people miss. Heck, even the motivational ******** he regurgitates seems to help a lot.

About cornermen... I think that Anderson Silva's corner has been one of the best in the world for years now. The fact that Anderson is one of the few athletes who are able to listen and actually correct flaws in their games between rounds helps a lot, but really, if for some reason you know Portuguese Anderson's cornermen working are like 1-minute MMA lessons.

I know that Anderson made a pretty bad 1st round overall against Weidman (he ate a ****load of counterable jabs, something that I thought I'd never see him do, and even sprawled incorrectly when Weidman tried to take him down) but I was still confident that he'd start being Anderson Silva in round 2. The first thing Feijao said after Round 1 was "What the **** are you doing? The fight has begun!". It was only when Anderson started to argue with them instead of taking their advice that I realized everything had gone to ****.

* Edited at 08.31.2013, 7:12 AM ET *

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero

08.31.2013 | 8:57 AM ET

As far as the worst in recent memory, BJ Penn's corner for the second Frankie Edgar fight was single-handedly the worst overall cornering I have ever seen. I'm not sure if it still consists of members of his family like it did at that time but all they did was tell him that he won every round when he quite clearly didn't and had absolutely no technical points of any merit to put on the table. An entourage of yes men and nothing more.

And there's Miesha Tate.... Jesus Christ....

rorschach
rorschach
  • Predictions:  4,978  |  64.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 153

08.31.2013 | 9:49 AM ET

Jaffa Cake is my hero in this thread! Slaying'em one overrated corner at a time, Miesha Tate lol.

"I will **** you." ~Me

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Koreshkov vs. Umalatov
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘I Decide Who, When, And Where’
  • MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 302 co-headliner
  • MMA Mania : No Foul Play! ‘The Cutman Used A Boxing Technique’