Tapology Forums

Impending heavyweight prospect matchups

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Heroak
Heroak
  • Predictions:  2,369  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,182
  • Post Score: 154

06.27.2011 | 4:18 AM ET

Ok, so ive been saying this for a while, the future title contenders are Mitrione, Shaub, Browne and Herman. Well, i said that before Zuffa bought out strikeforce. Anyways, these are the guys that arent in title contention yet but they look to be the the group of guys to beat the HW gatekeepers like Mir, Kongo, and Nelson. 

So, the whole point of this thread, is to ask you guys how do you think the impending matchup between these guys is going to go? Just like we waited for a long time and knew the Cain/JDS fight was going to happen eventually(even before cain became champ). 

We all can guess that eventually any one of those guys are going to be matched up against any one of them. So lets have a theoretical round robbin tournament between the four. Who comes out on top? I would love a 4 man tourney for a contender spot with the first round being mitrione vs shaub and browne vs herman. 

ok now im a drunk rambler so please continue.

"Tell her I'm rich, and I'm good looking, and I have, uh, a ******'s wit."

Responses

Heroak
Heroak

06.27.2011 | 4:20 AM ET

But the question is how they do against eachother in a theoretical round robbin format type of tourney

Dannotheman
Dannotheman
  • Predictions:  9,433  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,406
  • Post Score: 185

06.27.2011 | 8:52 AM ET

Mitrione vs Browne would definitely be the top 2. At that point I may lean slightly toward Mitrione but it'd be a close, awesome fight.

Schaub is heavily overrated imo and would get KO'd by all 3 of the other guys. Pee Wee showed awful striking defense in his win as he was repeatedly getting tagged by Einemo. I think Browne and Mitrione would put him out(as would a JDS, Cain, or Carwin). 

"God please give me patience, if you give me strength I will just punch them in the face."

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

06.27.2011 | 9:46 AM ET

Two big athletic men. I think It's a great matchup and i also think Mitrione wins it. He's got a bright future, i love his interviews and fights more each time he's on TV
minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

06.27.2011 | 2:21 PM ET

I agree with Danno, Schuab is over rated. He nearly gets choked out by Gonzaga, but jabs and jogs his way to a decision. This is after getting knocked the **** out by Roy Nelson by the way. Then he goes and fights Cro Cop, hits him in the back of the head atleast 40 times. He was on his way to a loss, but he was fighting a guy who's way past his prime. 
He is trying to build a name for himself by beating big names who are past their prime. He beats old Gonzaga and old Cro Cop, then calls out old Nogueira. Does this piss anyone else off?

"We Are All One"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

06.27.2011 | 2:30 PM ET

@Mino... You cant tell that he nearly got choked out by Gonzaga at all.. He barely had the choke in.. And he was beating Cro Cop who even though is getting knocked out has still been relatively competitive ...  Big Nog isnt that old and hes still relavent.. Would be a huge win for either guy.. I dont think Schaub is overrated.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

Dannotheman
Dannotheman
  • Predictions:  9,433  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,406
  • Post Score: 185

06.27.2011 | 3:40 PM ET

I haven't seen the Schaub/Gonzaga fight, but the fact that Schaub was the only guy who couldn't finish Gonzaga should tell you what I'm saying. Gonzaga isn't even good and was knocked out in all of his other losses. WERDUM KO'd him twice! Gonzaga's career was made off his left headkick KO of Crocop. That is it, the rest of his wins were over the worst HW's in the UFC.

I'll be praying for Nog to pull out the win, but the most likely outcome is Schaub beating another way past his prime legend.

"God please give me patience, if you give me strength I will just punch them in the face."

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

06.27.2011 | 3:41 PM ET

right head kick KO, but i agree Dannotheman!
Heroak
Heroak

06.27.2011 | 6:52 PM ET

soooooooo

who comes out on top in a round robbin tourney?

krazyhopz
krazyhopz
  • Predictions:  14,820  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  2,098
  • Post Score: 158

06.27.2011 | 8:13 PM ET

i'd say schaub and mitrione are the 2 best, if not the best right now 6months to a year from now both will be much better than browne or herman. schuab/mitrione sounds like an awesome fight a year from now...i'll have to take schuab, his boxing technic is better (mitrione has been gettin away with keepin his hands down and comin in sloppy w/ his punches), schaub has been facing better comp and has a better camp

* Edited at 06.27.2011, 8:14 PM ET *

"Everyone has a gameplan 'till they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

06.28.2011 | 1:33 AM ET

Schaub/Mitrione would be awesome. I don't think Matt is as fast, but he can take any punch Schaub can deliver.

It would definitely be interesting.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Heroak
Heroak

06.28.2011 | 1:34 AM ET

i would love to see shaub/mitrione and browne/herman. both guys match up very well stylistically and both fights would be very exciting.

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

06.28.2011 | 1:59 AM ET

Schaub - Mitrione would be the most interesting matchup IMO. Bright futures on all of them, I think Dave Herman needs to get a little more serious in his training camp and skill set. That is why I like Mitrione so much, he is goofy, but he trains hard with great camps, and is constantly improving.

"Frig off, bud"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

07.12.2011 | 10:11 AM ET

Was just thinking I would love to see Barry vs Nelson.. See if Barry could knock Nelson out Haha...

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! O’Malley Wants Sleepy Time For Mac
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Sleep Sean O’Malley’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media
  • MMA Mania : ‘My D—k Didn’t Get Hard!’ Brown Couldn’t ‘Get Fired Up’ About Fight Offer
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Snaps Back at ‘Sugar’d Up’ Conor McGregor Over Past PED Usage: ‘When Your Idols Turn to Rivals’
  • Middle Easy : Ian Garry Promises to ‘Slap the Mouth Off’ Colby Covingtong Within One Round: ‘Sign the F*cking Contract’
  • MMAFighting.com : Jose Aldo opens as big underdog for potential Sean O’Malley title fight
  • Middle Easy : Dana White Roasted Over Fighter Pay, Slams ‘Liberal F*cks’ Netflix During the Streaming Giant’s Tom Brady Special
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Felt I Can’t Say No’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 medical suspensions: Four fighters receive 180 days but not Jack Shore for leg wound
  • MMAFighting.com : Heather Hardy reveals career likely over due to ‘too much brain damage’
  • MMA Junkie : Weekend boxing review: Canelo Alvarez gave vintage performance. Is David Benavidez next?
  • MMAFighting.com : Dustin Poirier thinks Islam Makhachev is underestimating him ahead of UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : Aspinall In The Dark While Jones ‘Is Playing Games Again’
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 medical suspensions: 3 winners potentially out 6 months
  • Middle Easy : Jose Aldo vs. Sean O’Malley? ‘Very Possible Chance’ Outlandish Title Fight Happens, Says Outspoken UFC Star
  • MMA Junkie : Matt Brown explains how UFC 300 snub finalized retirement decision, says BKFC signing 'not out of the question'
  • MMA Mania : Covington Knows Garry Is A ‘Terrible Stylistic Matchup’
  • MMAFighting.com : Sean O’Malley responds to Conor McGregor diss, now wants Michael Chandler to ‘sleep’ him
  • Bad Left Hook : Roach vs McCrory set for June 28 on ProBox TV